Jump to content
** January Poker League Result : 1st Like2Fish, 2nd avongirl, 3rd Rav **
** Football Tipster Competition Result : 1st mickyftm32, 2nd Tiffy, 3rd Cauncie, 4th Alley Cat Glover, 5th Larkin22 **
** January Naps Competition Result: 1st Craig bluenose, 2nd Gary66, 3rd 1945harry. KO Cup Winner Wanderlust. Most Winners CS 333 **
Attention, PL Members! To reinforce security on the forum, we have updated our login process. Please note that you will now need to use your email address to sign in, rather than your forum username. We appreciate your understanding and cooperation.

BEST ODDS GUARANTEED


Recommended Posts

With the decision of BET365 to only offer BOG from 8am on the day of the race I think it is worth discussing the impact this has on the Naps Competition.

I think this now means that none of the bookies that we use offer BOG the night before racing.

I think it is important that the competition is as realistic as possible.

A suggestion is that if the nap is chosen before 9am then BOG does not apply. If after 9am then BOG does apply.

Comments ?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, Johnrobertson said:

I believe Coral still accept BOG the night before, correct me if I wrong but I just checked their website and it looks that way.

 

8. Best Odds Guaranteed (BOG)

Best Odds Guaranteed (BOG) is available on all UK and Irish horse and greyhound races and will be offered as displayed on the website to online UK and Irish horse races bets only on the day of the event, unless otherwise stated.

I would interpret this as bets placed  the night before do not qualify

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, calva decoy said:

I thought Coral were 9am the day of the race .

Awful news from for me the best online betting site bet365 to change their b.o.g. rules to join the rest & therefore squeezing us punters even moreso lessening value , ah well ☹️

Yep, along with removing their 4/1 TV offer. They have however introduced a good offer of 25% extra winnings on certain events and offer some good price boosts.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

42 minutes ago, MCLARKE said:

 

8. Best Odds Guaranteed (BOG)

Best Odds Guaranteed (BOG) is available on all UK and Irish horse and greyhound races and will be offered as displayed on the website to online UK and Irish horse races bets only on the day of the event, unless otherwise stated.

I would interpret this as bets placed  the night before do not qualify

Your right, its not very clear, kind of hidden away but no surprise.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, MCLARKE said:

With the decision of BET365 to only offer BOG from 8am on the day of the race I think it is worth discussing the impact this has on the Naps Competition.

I think this now means that none of the bookies that we use offer BOG the night before racing.

I think it is important that the competition is as realistic as possible.

A suggestion is that if the nap is chosen before 9am then BOG does not apply. If after 9am then BOG does apply.

Comments ?

Tricky one.

I hate to say this and trust me i do hate to say it but the only totally fair way i see is to use SP only like they do on the SL naps table. The reason i say this is because the way things are going, we might be back here next month if/when they do away with BOG altogether. I am open to other suggestions.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, Zilzalian said:

Tricky one.

I hate to say this and trust me i do hate to say it but the only totally fair way i see is to use SP only like they do on the SL naps table. The reason i say this is because the way things are going, we might be back here next month if/when they do away with BOG altogether. I am open to other suggestions.

It is indeed a very tricky one. One of the rules is :-

 

  • No conditional bets or special offers by any bookmaker will apply to the competition.

It could be argued that BOG is a special offer. Indeed probably a lot of us are not allowed BOG with some / most / all bookmakers.

It would certainly make my life a lot easier but I do appreciate that with some people part of the challenge is obtaining the best odds.

 

 

 
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Zilzalian said:

Tricky one.

I hate to say this and trust me i do hate to say it but the only totally fair way i see is to use SP only like they do on the SL naps table. The reason i say this is because the way things are going, we might be back here next month if/when they do away with BOG altogether. I am open to other suggestions.

 

 

The easiest way and fairest way is to do away with the BOG and if you take an early price then thats your price. Or you take SP.

You need the option to take an early price, as a punter, in my opinion. But if B.0.G is being done away with, then so too should the  BOG in the competition.

I think the caveat that McClarke makes about allowing BOG after 9am, just makes extra work for him, checking on times etc

Edited by Wanderlust
grammar
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, MCLARKE said:

Yep, along with removing their 4/1 TV offer. They have however introduced a good offer of 25% extra winnings on certain events and offer some good price boosts.

Good price boosts ?

Fontainebleau today , 13/8 out to 7/4 , wow , whoopee doo ! & the 25% is mostly when I've had it since Cheltenham available on long shots for me probably dependent on individual algorithmic betting patterns.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

43 minutes ago, Zilzalian said:

I would go with @Wanderlust on this. sack bog altogether for the comp.

Only an occasional participant but I agree entirely, had exactly the same thought when I first saw the thread. No bog is more realistic as most punters will have had it withdrawn by some of the firms. It’s the same for all and easier on the admin.

I get the argument for SP only. You could at least make the case for no overnight prices (it’s considered bad practice for tipping services to claim an impressive return based on grabbing early prices that don’t last and that punters struggle to get much on) but as long as it’s a level playing field in the competition it seems fair enough.

No reason that someone who grabs a great looking early price should have the bonus of getting SP if it wins after drifting though. Better that someone else who went SP is rewarded for their judgement.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Wanderlust said:

The easiest way and fairest way is to do away with the BOG and if you take an early price then thats your price. Or you take SP.

You need the option to take an early price, as a punter, in my opinion. But if B.0.G is being done away with, then so too should the  BOG in the competition.

I think the caveat that McClarke makes about allowing BOG after 9am, just makes extra work for him, checking on times etc

I would agree with this

I do remember back when the Naps comp was SP only when I joined the forum ... it was very annoying if you'd plucked out a 10/1 shot and it got backed into 6/1 and won ....... surely looking for 'the value bet' is part of being a punter

But I'd be OK with scrapping BOG ..... if you take a price then you should be happy with that price. If you're not happy with the price, look for a different bet

If you think your selection might drift then opt for SP

If we're getting to the point where BOG is dependant on which bookmaker and what time of day it's just getting too fiddly ...... just scrap it !

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, Zilzalian said:

Tricky one.

I hate to say this and trust me i do hate to say it but the only totally fair way i see is to use SP only like they do on the SL naps table. The reason i say this is because the way things are going, we might be back here next month if/when they do away with BOG altogether. I am open to other suggestions.

You are right of course.

We would lose part of the challenge that some of our esteemed Punters Lounge members have in selecting horses early, sensing the odds are out.

 

Fo ravoidance of doubt, I am (and obviously has to be) a Best Odds man.    [Oh.... the bookies like messing us about, don't they?  I can see the day when no one offers BOG, and maybe move to SP only ?]

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It would appear that there are a few options according to posters above -

1 - Bets/prices only from 9am/10am on day of race - no prices before this time - no edits allowed unless non runner

2 - Bets only from 9am/10am - SP only

3 - Bets only from 9am/10am - prices stated at time of post - with SP if no price stated - no best odds

4 - Bets only from 9am/10am - prices stated at time of post - best odds accepted

Why don't you post this thread in the main racing thread to allow punters to be made aware as it seems to be very much tucked away here.

Only a small number of punters will be subjected to best odds restrictions from bookies - I should imagine.

It would be a shame to restrict all punters from best odds in my opinion.

My preference would be for number 4 above no prices accepted from before this time.

The above is only my opinion - it would be interesting to here other punters thoughts.

You could also maybe arrange for a poll to be conducted with above choices or amended if seen fit - rather than the opinion say of 4 or 5 people.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Kingdom for said:

You are right of course.

We would lose part of the challenge that some of our esteemed Punters Lounge members have in selecting horses early, sensing the odds are out.

 

Fo ravoidance of doubt, I am (and obviously has to be) a Best Odds man.    [Oh.... the bookies like messing us about, don't they?  I can see the day when no one offers BOG, and maybe move to SP only ?]

They'll be bringing tax back next ??

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, justanotherpunter said:

It would appear that there are a few options according to posters above -

1 - Bets/prices only from 9am/10am on day of race - no prices before this time - no edits allowed unless non runner

2 - Bets only from 9am/10am - SP only

3 - Bets only from 9am/10am - prices stated at time of post - with SP if no price stated - no best odds

4 - Bets only from 9am/10am - prices stated at time of post - best odds accepted

Why don't you post this thread in the main racing thread to allow punters to be made aware as it seems to be very much tucked away here.

Only a small number of punters will be subjected to best odds restrictions from bookies - I should imagine.

It would be a shame to restrict all punters from best odds in my opinion.

My preference would be for number 4 above no prices accepted from before this time.

The above is only my opinion - it would be interesting to here other punters thoughts.

You could also maybe arrange for a poll to be conducted with above choices or amended if seen fit - rather than the opinion say of 4 or 5 people.

So what if you're at work & you have no access to post between say 8-10am that means that the naps competition in null & void for some .

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I’d say SP is the best and fairest way just like the sporting life naps competition, it’s going to go across the board with all bookmakers sooner rather than later you just place singles on an account win few quid you will be restricted and then the next day they send you another e mail about safe gambling ?

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Whatever the choice that the site chooses to do for the start of the April naps competition it'll still be a challenge , will your pick drift , be backed off the boards , will tactical picks ie people following the money & posting 5 mins before the off become the norm , whatever the choice I'm happy as long as it's not a 8am - 9am timeframe which someone posted earlier as that'd be unfair to a lot of people .

Link to comment
Share on other sites

49 minutes ago, calva decoy said:

whatever the choice I'm happy as long as it's not a 8am - 9am timeframe which someone posted earlier as that'd be unfair to a lot of people .

I think that might have been based on a misunderstanding of what was being proposed, I’m not sure anyone was suggesting not allowing posting the night before prior to that post. I think there are 3 options on the table in most people’s thoughts.

  1. Move to SP only (post when you like)
  2. Just scrap bog, otherwise as you are (early prices can still be taken)
  3. Retain bog but only for prices taken from a certain time on the day of racing

I favour 2 with 1 the clear next best. Option 3 just complicates things for the guy running the competition, having to differentiate between selections that do and don’t qualify for bog.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Another option may be to run the naps competition as you run the Cheltenham competition - 

Bets can be posted the night before - for people working that cannot post on the day

SP prices only - no early prices or BOG allowed

Entries must be submitted say 11 am or prior to 1st race off - 

I would think that this would be more realistic - like other firms competitions.

As an afterthought - I would raise the minimum profit for most winners to say £20 or more to encourage / discourage only posting odds on shots that are the lowest daily SP

However I would go along with Calva and bring in changes for start of April.

It would appear that no matter what decisions were made they will not appeal to all punters alike -

So it appears that as you are effectively the bookie here Mclarke - you may have to make whatever decisions that make your life easier and we will all have to go along with them.

:rollin

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, MCLARKE said:

I don't want to rush this as it is a big change so I will leave the rules as they are for the April competition.

We can then consider all the options and perhaps, as was suggested, have a vote to decide which one we go with.

All this.   However I will state right now - whatever is, is; and whatever will be, will be.  I will continue to participate.

3 hours ago, harry_rag said:

...........

2. Just scrap bog, otherwise as you are (early prices can still be taken)

3. Retain bog but only for prices taken from a certain time on the day of racing

I favour 2 with 1 the clear next best. Option 3 just complicates things for the guy running the competition, having to differentiate between selections that do and don’t qualify for bog.

Noted, and most considerate.  But note, from the best of my underdtanding (nut not knowledge) that option 3 would actually be no less complex for MCLARKE as, currently, he has to note the times of every post and cross-refer to the chosen bookie and then compare to SP.  Hard work, indeed!

On 3/27/2023 at 12:56 PM, Trotter said:

 ....... surely looking for 'the value bet' is part of being a punter

..... if you take a price then you should be happy with that price. I

Never, never has truer word been spoken (not in jest). 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/27/2023 at 2:00 PM, justanotherpunter said:

Why don't you post this thread in the main racing thread to allow punters to be made aware as it seems to be very much tucked away here.

It is pinned to the top of the Naps section so I would expect anybody who posts a nap to be able to see it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...