** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

BEST ODDS GUARANTEED

11 hours ago, MCLARKE said:

As an example one of my winners today was Gold Medal at 6/1. BSP was 9.67 so after commission that is 42% better than ISP.

Still this is getting away from your opening post -

" I think it is important that the competition is as realistic as possible."

and also getting away from the KISS method - you are then making this as far away from other nap competitions out there.

The thinking is to make the rules simple for all to follow - and reduce the option to manipulate the outcome.

Stuck at the bottom of the rules section it states that -
No Exchange Prices are allowed.- yet you are proposing to settle at BSP - this is an exchange price.

A simple nap competition is run by W Hill and is along the lines of -
1 Entries must be posted by 11am each day (can be submitted the night before)
2 No early prices are allowed
3 All bets settled at industry SP
4 No substitutes are allowed if non runner then tuff luck - this can be allowed here if reserves are chosen however.
I should imagine the Sporting Life naps are basically the same rules - ask The Brigadier

How many more rules are required to run a competetion????

Here's an example of betfair prices picked at random today -
Warwick 2.25
Walk In The Wild----6.00 --- 9/2
Blackauseway--------7.00 --- 7/2-------
Jack Doyen----------3.70 --- 5/2
Phil The Sock------14.50 --- 12/1
Boys Of Wexford-----3.05 --- 2/1
Checkitsme---------28.00 --- 20/1
Nyoufsea----------140.00 --- 100/1
Dun Bay Creek-----180.00 --- 80/1------
Just clock the differences in prices at the moment and I bet some of these will change dramatically by race time-
Come on everybody let's quote an 80/1 shot at 180.00 or let's quote a 7/2 shot at 7.00
This is not playing at a level playing field for all ???

11 minutes ago, Zilzalian said:

Occams Razor might say- BOG has become a problem in the competition so just do away with BOG in the competition.

If you do away with BOG for the competition then all of these rules become redundant - saving Mclarke any amount of time

Early prices can be taken but must be available at the time of the post in the competition thread (with a leeway of 10 minutes), these will be checked against Odds-checker and if the price was not available then SP will be used.

Bookies allowed: Bet365, BetVictor, Paddy Power, Betfair, William Hill, Betfred, Ladbrokes, Coral, Boylesports (All BOG for competition purposes).

Prices can't be changed once posted and must be in the original post, the first price taken is the only one that will count, all edits can be seen by moderators.

Any bets with no price quoted or eligible bookmaker stated will be taken at SP.

No Exchange Prices are allowed.

Just for info I never bet in real life if I don't get BOG with bookie - just makes sense to me and pays off.

50 minutes ago, justanotherpunter said:

Stuck at the bottom of the rules section it states that -
No Exchange Prices are allowed.- yet you are proposing to settle at BSP - this is an exchange price.

A simple nap competition is run by W Hill and is along the lines of -
1 Entries must be posted by 11am each day (can be submitted the night before)
2 No early prices are allowed
3 All bets settled at industry SP
4 No substitutes are allowed if non runner then tuff luck - this can be allowed here if reserves are chosen however.
I should imagine the Sporting Life naps are basically the same rules - ask The Brigadier

How many more rules are required to run a competetion????

Here's an example of betfair prices picked at random today -
Warwick 2.25
Walk In The Wild----6.00 --- 9/2
Blackauseway--------7.00 --- 7/2-------
Jack Doyen----------3.70 --- 5/2
Phil The Sock------14.50 --- 12/1
Boys Of Wexford-----3.05 --- 2/1
Checkitsme---------28.00 --- 20/1
Nyoufsea----------140.00 --- 100/1
Dun Bay Creek-----180.00 --- 80/1------
Just clock the differences in prices at the moment and I bet some of these will change dramatically by race time-
Come on everybody let's quote an 80/1 shot at 180.00 or let's quote a 7/2 shot at 7.00
This is not playing at a level playing field for all ???

These are the current rules that we are proposing to change.

I would support settling at SP but I will list various options and we will have a vote during April. 

I suggested Betfair Starting Price as an alternative as this is where I place the vast majority of my bets. I am not suggesting early Betfair prices.

6 minutes ago, MCLARKE said:

These are the current rules that we are proposing to change.

I would support settling at SP but I will list various options and we will have a vote during April. 

I suggested Betfair Starting Price as an alternative as this is where I place the vast majority of my bets. I am not suggesting early Betfair prices.

Just saying that not so many people are using betfair - not me lately anyway - fairer option just use industry SP ?? as returned figures will not be skewed in any way as betfair returned SP is often bloated and not a true SP return.

Probably unknown to most of you: You must live in the UK to qualify for BOG so if we are sticking to the rules my self and anyone 

living abroad should ne SP only.

Also after I cleaned up by backing Constitution Hill and Galopin Des Champs in single and doubles for months. After more trouble than I would want anyone else to handle withdrew all my funds from 5 different bookies. I have one more to go for an 11/4 double with Flightline and Constitution Hill and they are asking for everything bar a samle of my urine. A bank statement they wouldn't even accept unless it was certified by a JotP.

From now on in I will be backing only with Betfair who ask for absolutely nothing although that may change.

So do I think we should follow the rules set out by bookmakers on BOG.......NO NO NO I don't know how many people are on different time zones now or who will be in the future.

People have jobs, kids to take to school, nappies fences to repair and spennd quality time with their partners  and this may be something they have very little time to spend on.......Make it difficult for them and they will stop dropping like flies like I have done with bookmakers.

Edited by Fist2k8

25 minutes ago, Fist2k8 said:

Probably unknown to most of you: You must live in the UK to qualify for BOG so if we are sticking to the rules my self and anyone 

living abroad should ne SP only.

Also after I cleaned up by backing Constitution Hill and Galopin Des Champs in single and doubles for months. After more trouble than I would want anyone else to handle withdrew all my funds from 5 different bookies. I have one more to go for an 11/4 double with Flightline and Constitution Hill and they are asking for everything bar a samle of my urine. A bank statement they wouldn't even accept unless it was certified by a JotP.

From now on in I will be backing only with Betfair who ask for absolutely nothing although that may change.

So do I think we should follow the rules set out by bookmakers on BOG.......NO NO NO I don't know how many people are on different time zones now or who will be in the future.

People have jobs, kids to take to school, nappies fences to repair and spennd quality time with their partners  and this may be something they have very little time to spend on.......Make it difficult for them and they will stop dropping like flies like I have done with bookmakers.

Sorry to hear about all your problems with bookmakers - personally I would send them nothing also - find another bookie or stick with betfair

Everybody has a beef with BOG  - yes or no - however at present time as far as the competitions on here are concerned everyone qualifies for BOG - fair or unfair whether the punter has backed the horse or not ??? - and prices are selected from bookie that has best show at time of bet placement - whether the punter has an account with them or not??

By the way good luck with the nappies etc. - I still remember the time when only terry towel nappies were available - soaking bucket and Milton products only - up to your elbows in s**t in the sink when cleaning time came - oh the good old days ???

One final point on this, as there are so many differing opinions, its becoming a debacle.

Some people are getting mixed up with  B.O.G and SP. I am in favour of abolishing the B.O.G, but think we should be allowed to take an early price. I do not agree with SP only,  as part of the skillset of a tipster is to try and get value from the selection. But I agree that once you take the price, then SP is eliminated

I agree with the majority of what Justanotherpunter stated except, you do NOT need a 10 minute window for the oddschecker price. I use that App every day. Make my pick, check on Oddschecker and enter it onto the website. It doesnt take me 10 minutes!!. That 10 minutes will allow people to manipulate the system and wait for a horse to be backed before entering it on here at its original price. Whatever McClarke does now is working, as I do not see anybody blatantly cheating on the prices.

7 hours ago, Wanderlust said:

One final point on this, as there are so many differing opinions, its becoming a debacle.

Some people are getting mixed up with  B.O.G and SP. I am in favour of abolishing the B.O.G, but think we should be allowed to take an early price. I do not agree with SP only,  as part of the skillset of a tipster is to try and get value from the selection. But I agree that once you take the price, then SP is eliminated

I agree with the majority of what Justanotherpunter stated except, you do NOT need a 10 minute window for the oddschecker price. I use that App every day. Make my pick, check on Oddschecker and enter it onto the website. It doesnt take me 10 minutes!!. That 10 minutes will allow people to manipulate the system and wait for a horse to be backed before entering it on here at its original price. Whatever McClarke does now is working, as I do not see anybody blatantly cheating on the prices.

Happy to go with that.

• MCLARKE unpinned this topic