** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** ELO Ratings are now back **

Racing Chat - Sunday November 13th

With the ground riding good Ed Chamberlain and the team are at Cheltenham for the final day of the Paddy Power meeting with the Greatwood Hurdle the feature race. There’s also the added bonus of the Southern National from Fontwell where the ground is likely to ride on the soft side. Here’s my thoughts on the five races.

Cheltenham 1.45
Only five have declared for the two mile Shloer Chase and in all fairness the race looks a match between last years top two mile novice chaser Edwardstone and last year’s winner Nube Negra. Official ratings have only a pound between them and both are coming here following an absence of over 200 plus days. Alan King’s Edwardstone was last seen when a tad disappointing second at 4/7 at Aintree but had won the Arkle prior to that over course and distance. His trainer stated earlier in the week that he wanted to give him a run before the Tingle Creek at Sandown so one does wonder if he’ll be totally tuned up for this. Nube Negra started out last season in this very race when a comfortable 6L winner from Politologue though failed to back that effort up in two efforts since. He obviously goes well fresh and with the Dan Skelton stable in such fine form may be more forward than his chief rival Edwardstone and I’ll take him to win this. It’s hard to fancy the other three runners with possibly Sizing Pottsie the best of the trio.

NUBE NEGRA 2 points win @ 11/8 BetVictor

Fontwell 2.05
A good sized field of fourteen line up for the Southern National Handicap Chase run over 3m 3 1/2F of the figure of eight course . I think there’s a decent bet here in Gary Moore’s top weight Full Back. Ridden by his son Jamie he ran well on his re-appearance when plugging on to finish a 14 1/2L fourth in a decent Ascot handicap chase and surprisingly the handicapper has dropped him a couple of pounds which must have pleased connections. A Cheltenham winner on New Years Day off of a 2lb lower mark he stays well and can give weight all round to a field of mainly exposed stayers. The one horse who isn’t is the Paul Nicholls trained Southfield Harvest as he’s only run the once over fences when winning a five runner affair at Newton Abbot in May of 2021. He’s not been seen since and it will be some training performance were he to take this. Nicholls stated in his Betfair column for the weekend that ‘he’s ready to start now, stays well, and needs plenty of cut in the ground’. I’m not sure he’ll get the latter and for me he’s worth opposing. Last year’s runner up Almazhar Garde is interesting off of a 3lb lower mark whilst Seamus Mullin’s I See You Well is two from three at this track so has claims. There’s a lot of dead wood at the bottom of the handicap in my opinion and Full Back looks sure to run well.

FULL BACK 2 points win @ 4/1 bet365

Cheltenham 2.20
A decent sized field of thirteen here for the 3m 3F 71 yards class 1 handicap chase. Kim Bailey has his string in fine form currently and his top weight Does He Know is maybe the one to be with. He loves good ground and has a record here of three wins from six starts which has to be a bonus. Ramses De Teillee looks well handicapped having won this event two years ago off of a 12lb higher mark but he needs the mud so is overlooked. Nick Gifford’s The Mighty Don ran a decent second to Yala Enki in this last year from a 7lb higher mark although this year’s renewal looks significantly hotter. Fantastikas makes his seasonal re-appearance for the Twiston-Davies’s although has won fresh in the past and is another with a chance. Despite the steadier of twelve stone I’ll take second season chaser Does He Know under David Bass who gets his mounts into such a good rhythm to plunder this prize.

DOES HE KNOW 2 points win @ 9/2 William Hill

Cheltenham 2.55
A highly competitive renewal of the Greatwood Handicap Hurdle run over two miles and 87 yards. Two Irish horses head the market in Emmet Mullins Thousand Tears who has been the subject of an ante post gamble during the week. As much as I respect the trainer I can’t see why he’s so short and am happy to look elsewhere. Willie Mullins saddles the other one at the head of the market and I can definitely see why. A winner at the Showcase meeting three weeks ago over fences he reverts to the smaller obstacles off of a handicap mark 7lb lower. Brian Hayes rode him that day and keeps the ride. He has to be on the short list. It’s not just about the Irish horses at the front of the betting though with plenty of others coming here with decent chances. Top weight I Like To Move It is two from four at the track and can run well but it would be some performance to win off of 12 stone. Sonigino has been raised 10lb for an easy recent win at Chepstow and may be weighted out of it. My fancy is a horse that bumped into Sonigino at Chepstow back at the beginning of last month keeping on to finish just under 3L behind the winner and re-opposes today on a stone better terms. That horse is the Alan King trained Nina The Terrier who followed up that good effort when crashing out three from home when staying on well against two horses rated 11lb and 12lb higher at Wetherby. It was too far out to say what would of happened but she certainly wasn’t done with. She could be well handicapped and I’ll take her to strike each way with additional place terms.

NINA THE TERRIER 1 point each way @ 12/1 Hills 1/5th 12345

Cheltenham 3.30
Nice novices go to post for this grade 2 2m Supreme Trial Novices’ Hurdle. Four of the nine are trained in Ireland with the best of them possibly John C McConnell’s Fennor Cross who won a maiden hurdle from the re-opposing Deere Mark cosily at the last meeting. This does represent a step up in grade mind. The Cork maiden hurdle victory of ‘Shark’ Hanlon’s Fascinating Shadow in May has worked out very well and with a recent pipe opener on the all weather at Dundalk shouldn’t be dismissed. Jonjo O’Neill’s Springwell Boy was an easy winner at Carlisle on his hurdles debut last month although that form was let down by the eclipse of Iorens at Market Rasen earlier this week. I’m going to take a chance on the unexposed Nicky Henderson trained, JP McManus owned Iberico Lord who has joined the Seven Barrows maestro after winning a French bumper on soft ground last May for Daniela Mele. Henderson said in a recent stable tour that ‘ he’s an exciting prospect that jumps well’. He’ll do for me.

IBERICO LORD 2 points win @ 3/1 Betfred

Cheltenham 2.20 

Back On The Lash 9.47 6/1 3rd 

The Mighty Don 9.47 15/2 pu

Mighty Thunder 9.45 9/1 pu

Domaine D L’isle 9.22 11/1

3 points win top two

Cheltenham 2.55

Cormier 9.47 25/1 

Dads Lad 9.17 5/1

Gin Coco 8.95 9/2 2nd 

N’Golo 8.85 25/1

2.50 points top two 

Edited by Villa Chris
Results

2.55 ch- I don't get why CROMIER  is a 28/1 shot in this  Severance is a 10/1 shot my selection has already beat it similar trip and ground here is  1lb worse off  for a 1/2l win but has a 7lb  claimer on   that will do fot me e/w  bog 5 places.

Edited by Tedthewolf

Treble

1245 nav flame bearer 

1405 fon full back

1430 nav Ferny hollow

Fontwell Double

1405  full back

1440 Irish hill

Of any of above lose then mb as free bet so use for later in day.

Ew dbls

1405 fon slipway

1420 che mighty thunder

1215 nav Nathaniels dream

1455 nav cormier

Naval dbl win

1215 maxxum

1355 Bob Olinger

I've actually done a couple of bets on against nube negras using odds in a couple of accounts, lol.

Used b365 free bet on 1455 Che dads lad

Some moneyback offers still to look at on 1405 and 1420

Some lovely races at Cheltenham and over the water at Navan today.

1.55 Bob Olinger at around the 3.05 mark is my choice in this back over hurdles. Its a competitive looking race with a few who ran at last years Festival taking part but the important thing for me here is that Bob gets in without a penalty having having gone chasing immediately after winning the Ballymore at Cheltenham last year. Here he gets 9lb from Flooring Porter and Sire Du Berlais and 5lb from Zanahiyr, should be enough to see him home and has a great record fresh............1.02 in running and still couldnt win, second, at 1.8 in the 2tpb market.

2.30 Ferny Hollow, presumably Mullins will have him fully wound up for this after an 11 month absence. Same terms as when he beat Riviere D'Etel on Boxing Day, as he just a 5 year ld that one is entiltled to improve but I thought Ferny Hollow had a bit in hand that day, backed at 1.91.......non runner  

Sean Bowen has an attractive 39% strike rate when riding for Gordon Elliott recently and Indigo Breeze might improve on that. He was comfortably beaten by Banbridge last time out at levels, no disgrace as we saw Banbridge win the Arkle Trial easily here yesterday. The extra distance may well suit Indigo Breeze, taken 3.65 and will also go in the 2 place market if he reaches anywhere near the evens mark......trading odds on, 1.6 before they reached half way!!, hit 1.06 but didnt go on at the finish, got 1.94 2 places.

Good luck today everyone.

Edited by jonjo

2. 40 Fontwell  won 

Quinta Du Mar won this race by 31 lengths last year and runs off the same mark . He’s also had a couple of decent runs in higher grades, so this class 3 should be to his liking . Irish Hill looks a big danger . 

5 points win 10/3 

Edited by Villa Chris
Result

1 minute ago, Villa Chris said:

It could be from 20 years ago and it would still be a superb effort.  Nice one, and good luck for the future ?

well ive only increased the value of a PT  from the profits as ive gone along and i keep staking pt fractions low

as the price bracket i operate in means i could go 20 / 30 / selections without a strike

17 minutes ago, black rabbit said:

well ive only increased the value of a PT  from the profits as ive gone along and i keep staking pt fractions low

as the price bracket i operate in means i could go 20 / 30 / selections without a strike

As much as I enjoy horse racing regardless of win/lose,  the aim of betting is to make a profit, especially if you’re in it for the long term like I hope I am . Got to lose money before you make it as they say . Well done with your success anyway. 

17 minutes ago, Villa Chris said:

As much as I enjoy horse racing regardless of win/lose,  the aim of betting is to make a profit, especially if you’re in it for the long term like I hope I am . Got to lose money before you make it as they say . Well done with your success anyway. 

ive been in love with the game since i was a kid at school and got the spring double up??/  ive owned a few horses and had a few touches/

im still very much involved in horse business as our  company make a very powerfull equine disinfectant and i deal with lots of stables and equine

treatment centers ect/

Edited by black rabbit

2.05 Font Full Back 11/4 @The Brigadier

3.30 Chelt Iberico Lord 5/1 (drifting) @The Brigadier

4.00 Chelt Not Owned 4/1 (drifting) My PL Nap 2 pts win at 5.2 @The Brigadier@Budgie

1 x 0.50 ew Trixie = poss return of 99.40 4 pts staked

Singles and savers

3.30 Chelt She Is Electric 0.5 win at 13/2

2.05 Font Almazar Guard 0.50 win at 6/1 @Tedthewolf

2.40 Font Quinto De Mar 1 pt win at 5.1 @Villa Chris

Had some fun bets with @richard-westwood's two races

2.20 Chelt Fantasikas 0.5 win 7/2, The Might Don 0.5 win at 15/2 & Reverse Forecast for 1.00 pt both

2.55 Chelt I Like To Move It 0.50 ew at 8/1 Nglo 0.50 ew at 33/1 & Reverse Forecast Both for 1 pt

Also had each way cross doubles for 0.25 = 2.00 on all four selections

= 15 pts staked today 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

RESULTS UPDATE

Isn't hindsight wonderful.  I should have combined @The Brigadier's Does He Know with @richard-westwood's I Like To Move It in the cross doubles as I already had Richard's two selections covered in the reverse forecast.  I will certainly look at this strategy in the future when Richard puts up two races on the same day.  I had a couple of winners returning 10.82 pts so a small loss of 4.18 on the day.  This makes my MTD -47.00 and YTD -258.74

Four UK meetings tomorrow so should find some races to take a punt in

Edited by The Equaliser
RESULTS UPDATE

1 hour ago, black rabbit said:

ive been in love with the game since i was a kid at school and got the spring double up??/  ive owned a few horses and had a few touches/

im still very much involved in horse business as our  company make a very powerfull equine disinfectant and i deal with lots of stables and equine

treatment centers ect/

Nuevo Equine Bio Security.jpeg