** April Poker League Result : 1st Like2Fish, 2nd McG, 3rd andybell666 **

Racing Chat - Saturday 16th April

Musselburgh 1.32

An open looking class 3 three year old handicap over a mile with 10 runners going to post. With half the field marking their handicap debuts a very close watch on the market is essential here. Mark and Charlie Johnstone saddles three in top weight Value Theory (Andrew Breslin), Spirit Catcher (Joe Fanning) and Qipao (Ben Curtis). The best of which may well be Spirit Catcher but it’s hard to assess to be accurate. Dirty old town is interesting having his first run for Grant Tuer having been sold out of George Boughey’s stable for £100k and making his handicap debut but the one I like is the Karl Burke trained Bullet Force. Owned by Amo Racing and ridden by their retained jockey Rossa Ryan he showed some good handicap form a s a two year last Autumn in class 2 nurseries and was last seen when out of his depth (went off 100/1) in the group 1 Vertem Futurity Trophy Stakes at Doncaster. He’s already shown his liking for this track by winning his maiden here over 7F last August and he may be the each way value in the race. 

BULLET FORCE 1 point each way @ 7/1 Bet365 1/5th 123

Newbury 1.50

Only 7 go to post for the Group 3 John Porter Stakes run over 1m 4F. The drying ground may not suit the likes of the penalised William Haggas runner Ilaraab and the horse he beat when last seen over course and distance in the Ralph Beckett trained Max Vega. My two against the field are the impressive Doncaster winner Raymond Tusk who has conditions to suit and the Mark and Charlie Johnstone raider Thunderous. Preference is just for the latter who is the highest rated runner in the field and has an interesting jockey booking in Christophe Soumillon on board. Gelded since we last saw him this five year old gelding is still relatively lightly raced (this being his 10th career start) for his age and if straight enough (he has won first time out) could be the one they all have to beat. 

THUNDEROUS 2 points win @ 7/2 Coral/Ladbrokes

Musselburgh 2.04

Another class 2 handicap but this one’s over 7F and for four year old’s and upwards. It has an open look about it with the in form David and Nicola Barron’s Another Batt holding claims following on from a mid division effort in his re-appearance in the Lincoln. Gometra Ginty has a good strike rate at the Scottish track but it’s last years runner up Marshal Dan that catches my eye. Trained by the under rated Oxfordshire based handler Heather Main he ran a screamer last year when going down by under a length to Elton College and can race today off of a 2lb lower mark. Ben Curtis gets the leg up for the first time on this Lawman 7 year old and in a trappy handicap he looks each way value. 

MARSHAL DAN 1 point each way @ 9/1 Bet365 1/5th 123

Newbury 2.25

A dozen three year old fillies assemble for this years renewal of the Dubai Duty Free Stakes (known still as the Fred Darling Stakes), a Group 3 contest run over 7F and a reminisced 1000 Guineas trial. Charlie Appleby had had a terrific week with his runners since Monday finishing 15114251131 including taking the Craven with Native Trail and unleashing a serious Derby contender in New London at Newmarket. His filly Wild Beauty returns here and was a top two year old winning three times including a grade one contest in North America at Woodbine in September. Beaten 3 1/2L twice by champion two year old filly Inspiral she brings the best form to the table and if she’s trained on will be hard to beat for the deadly combo of Appleby and Buick who himself has won on 7 of his last 11 rides. Jumbly is a lovely type who won three of her four starts as a juvenile with her best effort coming over course and distance in the listed Radley Stakes on soft ground. I wonder whether a drying surface will suit her. The best alternative to the favourite and worth a small ew saver bet is the Andrew Balding trained Majestic Glory who although 5L behind the selection on her final start has actually beaten her a length in the Group 3 Sweet Solera Stakes in August. There are other promising fillies but this is Wild Beauty’s to lose I believe. 

WILD BEAUTY 2 points win @ 11/4 Paddy Power

MAJESTIC GLORY 1/2 point each way @ 9/1 Bet365 1/5th 123

Musselburgh 2.39

Next up is a £50k guaranteed 5F class 2 handicap with 11 runners declared. There’s some old names taking part here with the likes of Copper Knight and Dakota Gold making their seasonal re-appearance. The Barron’s Zarzyni comes here in fine form off of the all weather and wears cheek pieces for the first time, he looks likely to be in the shake up. If there is one horse here who may be better than his current mark then surely it’s the Horse Watcher’s Raasel trained by Mick Appleby. He ran up a five timer in 5F handicaps last Autumn rising 21lb in the process and although he most certainly wouldn’t want the ground to dry up (his wins came on good or soft ground) he may just be better than a handicapper. With no knowledge of his fitness he’s worth a small investment. 

RAASEL 2 points win @ 7/2 William Hill

Newbury 3.00

A small field of six go to post for this years renewal of the 7F Group 3 Greenham Stakes. Joint top rated is the Ralph Beckett trained Angel Bleu who turned into a smart juvenile winning his last three starts in Group 2 and 1 company on soft ground. He does have form earlier in the season on better ground but really found his way in the mud and with the ground drying he’s opposable today. I’ll take him on with Richard Fahey’s Perfect Power who will be ridden today by Frenchman Christophe Soumillon. He has to prove his stamina mind as he hasn’t raced beyond 6F as a juvenile when winning 4 of his 6 starts including the Group 1 Middle Park stakes at Newmarket in September. His dam was a 10F turf winner and so there’s enough hope on the breeding side to suggest he’ll see out the seventh furlong. Lusail has only 2lb on official ratings to find here and could be more of a threat on ground that will suit. 

PERFECT POWER 2 points win @ 2/1 Bet365

Musselburgh 3.14

The feature race at the Scottish track today is the Betway Queen’s Cup, a 1m 6F heritage handicap that has filled with a maximum field of 14. Mark Johnstone has won the last two renewals and (with his son Charlie) saddles three here today. Last years winner Themaxwecan is amongst the trio and with Ben Curtis who rode him last year on board off of the same mark could easily be a player here. State Of Bliss and Soapy Stevens are the other two Johnstone runners with preference for the latter who will be ridden by Franny Norton, his regular rider and if in the form of his Haydock win last June could run well. Top weight Zero Ten is a very interesting runner for Grand National winning trainer Emmet Mullins. Last seen when 5th in the Group 1 Prix Royal-Oak in France last October this represents a drop in class on his flat handicap debut and Mullins has booked useful 7lb apprentice Benoit De La Sayette to ride. Also taking a drop in class is the Ian Williams trained Enemy who was last seen running fourth to Manobo in a Group 3 in Dubai in February with one of today’s rivals Island Brave only a neck behind. The latter looks over priced here at four times the price of Enemy on that run. The selection though is Sir Rumi owned by Amo Racing and trained by Richard Hannon. His season re-appearance (his first since being gelded) suggests that he’s well handicapped off of 94 as he was sandwiched that day by horses rated 104 and 105. He does have to prove his stamina today stepping up in trip but if he stays he can go very well. 

SIR RUMI 1 point each way @ 6/1 Betfred 1/5th 12345

Newbury 3.35

Seventeen go to post for the Spring Cup, a handicap run over the straight mile of the Berkshire course. The key form race for this is the Lincoln from Doncaster last month. The Crisford’s Saleymm finished runner up that day and must have decent claims here but it was the horse that finished half a length behind that one that is my strong fancy today. Rogue Bear missed the kick and was plum last after a furlong but ran on to such an extent on the wrong side to where all the action was that it’s not far wrong to say he was an unlucky loser that day. Off of the same handicap mark he looks sure to be competitive with David Egan riding for Tom Clover. Just behind him in the Lincoln was the William Haggas horse Irish Admiral and further back was the disappointing Charlie Appleby runner Modern News. I’ll be surprised if either are good enough to turn the form around with the selection. Top weight Migration hails from the David Menuisier stable who had a double at Chantilly on Wednesday. Ryan Moore rides and he is a lovely type but might just find the ground too fast for him. An outsider that interests me is the Richard Hannon trained Etonian who is lightly raced but has a touch of class about him and the fact he still holds an entry in the Group one Lockinge stakes is a tip in itself. For me though this is all about Rogue Bear. 

ROGUE BEAR 3 points win 7/2 Bet365

ETONIAN 1/4 point each way @ 20/1 BetVictor 1/5th 12345

teodolina   3 35 newb    1/5 pt win  25/1    [ has drifted to 40/1 will now have 1/5 pt place also ] 

miss carol ann  2 25 newb   1/4 pt win  10/1 

the turpinator   3 35  newb  1/5 pt win 16/1 

coeur de lion  4 29 hay   1/5 pt win  25/1 

first impression  3 19  hay  1/5 pt win 10/1 

he's a hardy bloke  4 50 fairy  1/5 pt win   20/1 

P/L   + 123.25  pts 

Edited by black rabbit
selections

5.45am sees my Australian horse Beneficio make her metro debut when she runs at Caulfield in R5. It's a really competitive race as it is 5/1 the field and there are quite a few you could give chances to so I am not going to recommend a bet as I have done when she has run before. What I can tell you though is that the trainer is really happy with the filly and that she has worked really well since the win last time. He must think quite a bit of her to send her straight into this sort of company on the back of the maiden win and she has a decent draw so hopefully she will be able to use her good start and early speed to lead them. It will then be a case of if she is good enough to stay there. It could be that she runs really well and finishes mid div, but I do think she is a bit over priced at around 20-25/1 so I am having a small e/w bet on her and hopefully she can go close. 

Screenshot (73).png

Saturday Fanices

Carlisle
1344 - 2 Just Call Me Al     11/4 Bet365   Pulled Up
1604 - 3 Pitempton Power    3/1 William Hill  3rd
1639 - 5 Hungry Tiger     9/2 William Hill   6th

Haydock
1409 - 5 Lime Drop    8/1 Paddy Power   4th
1444 - 8 Isolate    11/2 Bet365   5th
1701 - 3 Maid O'malley     11/2 Paddy Power  5th

Lingfield
1655 - 9 Soyounique   8/1 Paddy Power  2nd
1800 - 5 Cappananty Con    9/2 Paddy Power  6th

Musselburgh
1332 - 1 Value Theory  6/1 Bet365  7th
1514 - 7 Sir Rumi   6/1 Bet365  4th

Newbury
1350 - 2 Max Vega   11/2 Paddy Power  WON
1500 - 5 Perfect Power   2/1 Bet365  WON
1755 - 7 Frontispiece   8/1 Bet365   2nd

Newton Abbot
1300 - 2 Seddon    2/1 William Hill    WON
1559 - 4 Lady Rest    11/4 William Hill  2nd

Nottingham
1740 - 1 Crosstitch   11/2 Bet365  6th
1845 - 5 Fearless Bay   6/1 Bet365
1915 - 9 Cliffecake    5/1 Bet365

Cork
1415 - 8 London Palladium  5/1 William Hill  2nd
1635 - 3 Sussex    9/2 William Hill  2nd
1745 - 8 Pale Moonlight   9/4 Bet365  8th

Fairyhouse
1430 - 1 Aloneamongmillions   2/1 Bet365  2nd

Edited by ipswich45

2 hours ago, Darran said:

5.45am sees my Australian horse Beneficio make her metro debut when she runs at Caulfield in R5. It's a really competitive race as it is 5/1 the field and there are quite a few you could give chances to so I am not going to recommend a bet as I have done when she has run before. What I can tell you though is that the trainer is really happy with the filly and that she has worked really well since the win last time. He must think quite a bit of her to send her straight into this sort of company on the back of the maiden win and she has a decent draw so hopefully she will be able to use her good start and early speed to lead them. It will then be a case of if she is good enough to stay there. It could be that she runs really well and finishes mid div, but I do think she is a bit over priced at around 20-25/1 so I am having a small e/w bet on her and hopefully she can go close. 

Screenshot (73).png

Good luck ?

Are you based in Australia & if not how or why have you got shares & or own a horse that is based down under ?

57 minutes ago, calva decoy said:

Good luck ?

Are you based in Australia & if not how or why have you got shares & or own a horse that is based down under ?

Thank you and I live in London. I have an Australian wife so although I’ve always loved the Melbourne Cup I made sure a few years ago to learn more about racing in Oz in case we ever move. During covid I was purchasing the Australian racing paper  online to help with my previews on here and saw her advertised and took the plunge. With prize money levels in Oz I knew there was a fair chance she would win enough to pay for some of her training fees and in just 4 starts she has earned $33k. If she wins tomorrow it’s $70k to the winner. I own 2.5% and pay $100 a month. As much as the chances of me watching her race in the flesh are slim it is so easy to watch her races her and the information provided along the way has been superb. I have 5% in another horse with a different syndication company but he’s yet to reach the racetrack yet.

9 hours ago, Darran said:

Thank you and I live in London. I have an Australian wife so although I’ve always loved the Melbourne Cup I made sure a few years ago to learn more about racing in Oz in case we ever move. During covid I was purchasing the Australian racing paper  online to help with my previews on here and saw her advertised and took the plunge. With prize money levels in Oz I knew there was a fair chance she would win enough to pay for some of her training fees and in just 4 starts she has earned $33k. If she wins tomorrow it’s $70k to the winner. I own 2.5% and pay $100 a month. As much as the chances of me watching her race in the flesh are slim it is so easy to watch her races her and the information provided along the way has been superb. I have 5% in another horse with a different syndication company but he’s yet to reach the racetrack yet.

Ah nice & a decent 2nd place to boot .

I can't afford the ownership fees these days but have gone from being part owner with 12 of us to 40 then 60 & now 3,500 which in all reality , we are all paying for the true owners benefit & if you get £20 back from every £100 it's about par for a syndicated horse but it's great fun & to have a winner whilst you're a guest at the race itself is a massive buzz , like I said earlier , good luck & enjoy the ride .

These are the 3 trainer/jockey combinations I am following for April

Grant Tuer/Oliver Stammers
Runs 7 - L L L L L L L

A D Brown/Paula Muir
Runs 2 - L L

K A Ryan/Kevin Stott
Runs 20 - L L L L L L W L L L L NR L L L L L NR L L

Bets 29 - Profit 0 - Loss 220

Winning Price 4/1 NR NR

Around halfway through the month never shown a profit losses getting steep. Will keep going till the end of the month then revaluate the situation.

Today's Runners

Musselburgh
1.32 Baikal 9/2

2.39 Justanotherbottle 9/1

Good luck all CNBB.

2 hours ago, calva decoy said:

Ah nice & a decent 2nd place to boot .

I can't afford the ownership fees these days but have gone from being part owner with 12 of us to 40 then 60 & now 3,500 which in all reality , we are all paying for the true owners benefit & if you get £20 back from every £100 it's about par for a syndicated horse but it's great fun & to have a winner whilst you're a guest at the race itself is a massive buzz , like I said earlier , good luck & enjoy the ride .

Yeah I’d love to be able to see her race in the flesh but I feel that’s the only thing I’m really missing out on. She ran a huge race and the sp was just as big. She won just under $30k as well for finishing 2nd

Speed figures for today

132 muss value theory          7/1

225 newb symphony perfect 16/1

300 newb perfect power         7/4

520 newb Valsad                    11/1

last month i highlighted a horse that ran at maydan in a race in which was won by Manobo in an incredible time,

the horse in question was 6l back in forth at 66/1 stepped up in trip, after the race i highlighted it on here and recomended it be backed if not at meydan but when it returns to these shores. the horse runs today 314 Musselburgh at a nice price of 10/1 ENEMY 

wins easily, nothing is better than watching and noting races

Edited by Zilzalian
update

Very tricky today whilst avoiding the flat on turf but my Trixie is as follows:

1.00 N Ab Seddon 7/5

3.29 Carl Schalike 11/10

6.30 Lin Touchwood Ev

1 x 4 pt win Trixie.  Poss return 24.12 pts

Cover bets

1.00 NAb Rock On Rocco 1 pt at 3.40 (a bit short), Mr Mafia 0.5 pts at 13/2 and As YOu Like 0.5 pts at 7/1

3.29 Carl Phil De Pall 1 pt at 4.2, Court Dreaming 0.5 pts at 4/1 (short) and Silva Eclipse 0.5 pts at 6/1

6.30 Lin Abduction 1 pt at 4.7, Mamillius 0.5 pts at 13/2 and Evasive Power 0.5 pts at 8/1

Total staked points = 10

23 hours ago, The Brigadier said:

Musselburgh 1.32

An open looking class 3 three year old handicap over a mile with 10 runners going to post. With half the field marking their handicap debuts a very close watch on the market is essential here. Mark and Charlie Johnstone saddles three in top weight Value Theory (Andrew Breslin), Spirit Catcher (Joe Fanning) and Qipao (Ben Curtis). The best of which may well be Spirit Catcher but it’s hard to assess to be accurate. Dirty old town is interesting having his first run for Grant Tuer having been sold out of George Boughey’s stable for £100k and making his handicap debut but the one I like is the Karl Burke trained Bullet Force. Owned by Amo Racing and ridden by their retained jockey Rossa Ryan he showed some good handicap form a s a two year last Autumn in class 2 nurseries and was last seen when out of his depth (went off 100/1) in the group 1 Vertem Futurity Trophy Stakes at Doncaster. He’s already shown his liking for this track by winning his maiden here over 7F last August and he may be the each way value in the race. 

BULLET FORCE 1 point each way @ 7/1 Bet365 1/5th 123

Newbury 1.50

Only 7 go to post for the Group 3 John Porter Stakes run over 1m 4F. The drying ground may not suit the likes of the penalised William Haggas runner Ilaraab and the horse he beat when last seen over course and distance in the Ralph Beckett trained Max Vega. My two against the field are the impressive Doncaster winner Raymond Tusk who has conditions to suit and the Mark and Charlie Johnstone raider Thunderous. Preference is just for the latter who is the highest rated runner in the field and has an interesting jockey booking in Christophe Soumillon on board. Gelded since we last saw him this five year old gelding is still relatively lightly raced (this being his 10th career start) for his age and if straight enough (he has won first time out) could be the one they all have to beat. 

THUNDEROUS 2 points win @ 7/2 Coral/Ladbrokes

Musselburgh 2.04

Another class 2 handicap but this one’s over 7F and for four year old’s and upwards. It has an open look about it with the in form David and Nicola Barron’s Another Batt holding claims following on from a mid division effort in his re-appearance in the Lincoln. Gometra Ginty has a good strike rate at the Scottish track but it’s last years runner up Marshal Dan that catches my eye. Trained by the under rated Oxfordshire based handler Heather Main he ran a screamer last year when going down by under a length to Elton College and can race today off of a 2lb lower mark. Ben Curtis gets the leg up for the first time on this Lawman 7 year old and in a trappy handicap he looks each way value. 

MARSHAL DAN 1 point each way @ 9/1 Bet365 1/5th 123

Newbury 2.25

A dozen three year old fillies assemble for this years renewal of the Dubai Duty Free Stakes (known still as the Fred Darling Stakes), a Group 3 contest run over 7F and a reminisced 1000 Guineas trial. Charlie Appleby had had a terrific week with his runners since Monday finishing 15114251131 including taking the Craven with Native Trail and unleashing a serious Derby contender in New London at Newmarket. His filly Wild Beauty returns here and was a top two year old winning three times including a grade one contest in North America at Woodbine in September. Beaten 3 1/2L twice by champion two year old filly Inspiral she brings the best form to the table and if she’s trained on will be hard to beat for the deadly combo of Appleby and Buick who himself has won on 7 of his last 11 rides. Jumbly is a lovely type who won three of her four starts as a juvenile with her best effort coming over course and distance in the listed Radley Stakes on soft ground. I wonder whether a drying surface will suit her. The best alternative to the favourite and worth a small ew saver bet is the Andrew Balding trained Majestic Glory who although 5L behind the selection on her final start has actually beaten her a length in the Group 3 Sweet Solera Stakes in August. There are other promising fillies but this is Wild Beauty’s to lose I believe. 

WILD BEAUTY 2 points win @ 11/4 Paddy Power

MAJESTIC GLORY 1/2 point each way @ 9/1 Bet365 1/5th 123

Musselburgh 2.39

Next up is a £50k guaranteed 5F class 2 handicap with 11 runners declared. There’s some old names taking part here with the likes of Copper Knight and Dakota Gold making their seasonal re-appearance. The Barron’s Zarzyni comes here in fine form off of the all weather and wears cheek pieces for the first time, he looks likely to be in the shake up. If there is one horse here who may be better than his current mark then surely it’s the Horse Watcher’s Raasel trained by Mick Appleby. He ran up a five timer in 5F handicaps last Autumn rising 21lb in the process and although he most certainly wouldn’t want the ground to dry up (his wins came on good or soft ground) he may just be better than a handicapper. With no knowledge of his fitness he’s worth a small investment. 

RAASEL 2 points win @ 7/2 William Hill

Newbury 3.00

A small field of six go to post for this years renewal of the 7F Group 3 Greenham Stakes. Joint top rated is the Ralph Beckett trained Angel Bleu who turned into a smart juvenile winning his last three starts in Group 2 and 1 company on soft ground. He does have form earlier in the season on better ground but really found his way in the mud and with the ground drying he’s opposable today. I’ll take him on with Richard Fahey’s Perfect Power who will be ridden today by Frenchman Christophe Soumillon. He has to prove his stamina mind as he hasn’t raced beyond 6F as a juvenile when winning 4 of his 6 starts including the Group 1 Middle Park stakes at Newmarket in September. His dam was a 10F turf winner and so there’s enough hope on the breeding side to suggest he’ll see out the seventh furlong. Lusail has only 2lb on official ratings to find here and could be more of a threat on ground that will suit. 

PERFECT POWER 2 points win @ 2/1 Bet365

Musselburgh 3.14

The feature race at the Scottish track today is the Betway Queen’s Cup, a 1m 6F heritage handicap that has filled with a maximum field of 14. Mark Johnstone has won the last two renewals and (with his son Charlie) saddles three here today. Last years winner Themaxwecan is amongst the trio and with Ben Curtis who rode him last year on board off of the same mark could easily be a player here. State Of Bliss and Soapy Stevens are the other two Johnstone runners with preference for the latter who will be ridden by Franny Norton, his regular rider and if in the form of his Haydock win last June could run well. Top weight Zero Ten is a very interesting runner for Grand National winning trainer Emmet Mullins. Last seen when 5th in the Group 1 Prix Royal-Oak in France last October this represents a drop in class on his flat handicap debut and Mullins has booked useful 7lb apprentice Benoit De La Sayette to ride. Also taking a drop in class is the Ian Williams trained Enemy who was last seen running fourth to Manobo in a Group 3 in Dubai in February with one of today’s rivals Island Brave only a neck behind. The latter looks over priced here at four times the price of Enemy on that run. The selection though is Sir Rumi owned by Amo Racing and trained by Richard Hannon. His season re-appearance (his first since being gelded) suggests that he’s well handicapped off of 94 as he was sandwiched that day by horses rated 104 and 105. He does have to prove his stamina today stepping up in trip but if he stays he can go very well. 

SIR RUMI 1 point each way @ 6/1 Betfred 1/5th 12345

Newbury 3.35

Seventeen go to post for the Spring Cup, a handicap run over the straight mile of the Berkshire course. The key form race for this is the Lincoln from Doncaster last month. The Crisford’s Saleymm finished runner up that day and must have decent claims here but it was the horse that finished half a length behind that one that is my strong fancy today. Rogue Bear missed the kick and was plum last after a furlong but ran on to such an extent on the wrong side to where all the action was that it’s not far wrong to say he was an unlucky loser that day. Off of the same handicap mark he looks sure to be competitive with David Egan riding for Tom Clover. Just behind him in the Lincoln was the William Haggas horse Irish Admiral and further back was the disappointing Charlie Appleby runner Modern News. I’ll be surprised if either are good enough to turn the form around with the selection. Top weight Migration hails from the David Menuisier stable who had a double at Chantilly on Wednesday. Ryan Moore rides and he is a lovely type but might just find the ground too fast for him. An outsider that interests me is the Richard Hannon trained Etonian who is lightly raced but has a touch of class about him and the fact he still holds an entry in the Group one Lockinge stakes is a tip in itself. For me though this is all about Rogue Bear. 

ROGUE BEAR 3 points win 7/2 Bet365

ETONIAN 1/4 point each way @ 20/1 BetVictor 1/5th 12345

A profit of just under 3 points with two winners and five returns. Have a great weekend everyone and hope you found a winner or two today.