** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

Tennis Tips - February 28 - March 6

• 4 weeks later...

Expecting one or two upsets (will settle for one) between Gracheva and Kucova and in another match between Konjah and Boulter. Nothing between these players, and the odds are just way too low on both favorites in my opinion.  Two favorites I do like are Cornet and Paolini.  Not huge odds but as a double it's 5 to 10 which is ok for me. Not a huge bet, but a win is a win.

Well, seems like Bucsa decided to throw in a surprise...! My first actual bet of the week:

Petra Martic (+5.5) to beat Madison Keys at 1.80 with Unibet

Keys was pretty awful last week, while Martic finally showed at least a bit of promise when she showed up in Russia a bit ago. She's better than her recent results suggest and she can keep the balls in play long enough for Keys to make that one unforced error. The 5.5 line looks a touch big to me, I was expecting 4.5.

4 hours ago, neilovan said:

Expecting one or two upsets (will settle for one) between Gracheva and Kucova and in another match between Konjah and Boulter. Nothing between these players, and the odds are just way too low on both favorites in my opinion.  Two favorites I do like are Cornet and Paolini.  Not huge odds but as a double it's 5 to 10 which is ok for me. Not a huge bet, but a win is a win.

That's some display from Cornet. Close to pathetic.  Destroyed by an opponent who doesn't play particularly well.

3 minutes ago, neilovan said:

That's some display from Cornet. Close to pathetic.  Destroyed by an opponent who doesn't play particularly well.

That's tennis for you. It isn't necessarily about playing well - just play better than your opponent and you can win. Bucsa might not have played well, but Cornet was worse. It's so often the case that players beat themselves rather than being beaten by their opponent.

Edited by Torque

2 hours ago, neilovan said:

Sigh Alize. 

Busca actually did play very well in sets 2-3. She adjusted well. Cornet was atrocious and inconsistent, threw some tantrums, and generally failed to keep the ball within the court during rallies. 

Fun couple of days; the Baez collapse, then Bouzkova losing to Stephens, then get Alize'd to cap off the week. 

1 hour ago, AgaRadwanska said:

Sigh Alize. 

Busca actually did play very well in sets 2-3. She adjusted well. Cornet was atrocious and inconsistent, threw some tantrums, and generally failed to keep the ball within the court during rallies. 

Fun couple of days; the Baez collapse, then Bouzkova losing to Stephens, then get Alize'd to cap off the week. 

I hear you @AgaRadwanska It's been a ridiculous few days of collapses.

Again, slim pickings today.

I do like van Uytvanck to beat Zvonereva , but for the the -3.5 games handicap is better at odds of 1.75 . Zvonereva, consistent, but with no real weapons. Last meeting van Uytvanck covered the -3.5 game spread winning 6-4 6-4.

The match between Danka Kovinic and Arantxa Rus is very close in my opinion. No clear favorite, and a crazy price on Rus, who has not been doing much. The +4.5 on Kovinic at odds of 1.8 looks decent to me.

7 minutes ago, CzechPunter said:

Well, Rublev wrote "No to war" on the camera a couple of days ago, so I'd imagine you don't want to punish players like that.

And for you "not to war" is enough ? 

For me no...and if football, volleyball, handball, figure iceskating are banned for them, even russian mma fighters will not fight in polish organisations like KSW.

For me also in wta and atp they should be banned. 

20 minutes ago, Larkin22 said:

Do you think Russian people living outside of Russia should be banned from their day jobs?

I think there should be a difference between banning the Russian National Teams and individuals.

Well.... "The main conductor of the Munich Philharmonic, Valery Gergiyev, was released from it. "

Shocked?

?

For me there is no differrence between teams and indivudual sports.

Yes russian should be banned from any "public" life: sports, culture and others!

Well, even Svitolina isn't calling for that if I read that correctly - she wants the flags etc. removed only. I fully agree with the national team bans, etc. But saying that all Russians should be banned from public life is problematic. There are Russian dissidents living in Europe, who fled from Russia and Putin. Punishing them for Russia's and Putin's actions would be awful, wouldn't it? Gergiyev supported Putin in Syria etc., but do you want to punish those who oppose Putin/Lukashenko and fled from their countries?

7 minutes ago, Teodore said:

Well.... "The main conductor of the Munich Philharmonic, Valery Gergiyev, was released from it. "

Shocked?

?

For me there is no differrence between teams and indivudual sports.

Yes russian should be banned from any "public" life: sports, culture and others!

Thats a very naive view. Everyone is held responsible for the actions of the country they were born in?

What about people fleeing genocide in their own country, they should be punished for the actions of their Government?

There are Russians students who work in my research lab, you think I should fire them and kick them out onto the street? You end up being no worse than the people you condemn. 

Similar to the Olympics, let them compete under a different flag. 

28 minutes ago, Larkin22 said:

Thats a very naive view. Everyone is held responsible for the actions of the country they were born in?

What about people fleeing genocide in their own country, they should be punished for the actions of their Government?

There are Russians students who work in my research lab, you think I should fire them and kick them out onto the street? You end up being no worse than the people you condemn. 

Similar to the Olympics, let them compete under a different flag. 

Maybe for you is "very native"... Very typical for eastern Europe.

Of course not all od russians are responsible for that but all Europe even all world should fight with Putin with very hard sactions against all of them like: Swift regulation, problems with flight outsideRussia, maybe even banned them from using MasterCard and Visa. This is only way to win against this silly prick. 

Even if it hits ordinary Russians, it's hard. But this is the price of freedom, and you might understand if you lived 300km from these events in Kiev not probably much further away.

"Similar to the Olympics, let them compete under a different flag. " Typical leftside retoric. 

There is no differnce between somesone compete as "Russia" with the flag or something like "National federation of Russia" without flag.

But hard to understand this if you are living whereever you are right now. I guess.

Edited by Teodore

I said naive not native. You have no idea where I live or my political leaning.

What exactly is banning an ATP 1000 level Russian tennis player, living abroad, from making a living going to do to end Putins invasion?

Crippling Russia's income and creating internal pressure will.

Not grabbing a pitchfork and going around trying to find people born in Russia to attack like a neanderthal.

1 hour ago, Larkin22 said:

I said naive not native. You have no idea where I live or my political leaning.

What exactly is banning an ATP 1000 level Russian tennis player, living abroad, from making a living going to do to end Putins invasion?

Crippling Russia's income and creating internal pressure will.

Not grabbing a pitchfork and going around trying to find people born in Russia to attack like a neanderthal.

If you cant understand what means banning tennis players i think we cant discuss. Look at the mirror you see Putin friend.

In this situation in Ukraine I wont be ale to shake hand to any russian but if for you this is not a problem that means a lot... Maybe you will understand that when you see bombs 100,200,300km behind you ..even maybe closer.

We have different values and people like you in western europe will never understand it.

Bye.

god, honor and fatherland

Edited by Teodore

Let's all try to be friendly. This is obviously an emotive subject but I would like to think the differences of opinion expressed so far are much more subtle than they at first appear; exacerbated by sentiments being potentially lost in translation or misunderstood as is often the case during text exchanges.

I'm sure if nothing else we can all agree that the most important thing is a swift end to the conflict.