** April Poker League Result : 1st Like2Fish, 2nd McG, 3rd andybell666 **

Racing Chat - Friday 9th July

Six terrestrial TV races for racing on Friday and the times looked fast enough at Newmarket on Thursday despite the fact they were kicking the top off. York is officially good to soft so best to look for horses who like to get their toe in at the Yorkshire track..

Newmarket 150

A competitive three year old handicap run over 10F. Many of the big Southern stables are represented and it maybe the Newmarket handler William Haggas that takes the spoils with his Pride Of Dubai gelding who made his re-appearance in the Britannia Handicap at Royal Ascot when racing on the seemingly unfavoured far side and coming home best of that group finishing 4th in the race only beaten 2 1/2L. That was a hell of a run and with normal improvement can take a hand in the finish of this open handicap. The dangers are plenty with John & Thady Gosden running two in Peter The Great and Highland Rocker with the former of that pair possibly the biggest danger to my selection. Royal Ascot winner Foxes Tales comes into the equation though has to prove himself on faster ground and is 9lb higher than his win. 

DAUBAI HONOUR 1 point each way @ 9/2 William Hills 1/5th 1234

York 205

Cormier has been pulled out twice since winning at Pontefract in May due to the ground being too fast and this Brian Ellison 5 year old looks thrown in on his hurdle form. He will be hard to beat today with conditions to suit. He was runner up in the Swinton Handicap Hurdle at Haydock in May and is currently rated 133 in that sphere. He can race off of 75 today and has the soft ground he obviously needs. His opponents are all much of muchness in my eyes with the best of them possibly Bollin Joan who bounced back to form last time but has to shoulder a 5lb penalty. 

CORMIER 3 points win @ 5/2 William Hill

Newmarket 225

Andrew Balding had an excellent Royal Ascot with three winners and one of those Sandrine can follow up here and take this Group 2 Duchess Of Cambridge Stakes.  She took the Albany Stakes from Hello You with Oscula back in third and the disappointing Flotus way back in 13th. I can’t really see any reason why this daughter of Bobby Kitten won’t confirm the form on much faster ground as an American bred she should be best on a sounder surface. Ralph Beckett’s Hello You has 1 1/2L to make up on the selection and may chase her home. 

SANDRINE 3 points win @ 15/8 Bet365

York 2.40

Charlie Fellowes saddles two with chances here in Onassis and Vadream and it’s the latter that catches my eye in the Group 3 William Hill Summer Stakes run over 6F for fillies and mares only. This three year old drops back to 6F having run an excellent third in the 7F Jersey Stakes at Royal Ascot on soft ground last time out behind Creative Force who’s a big fancy for the July Cup on Saturday. Jamie Spencer is in the saddle and looks sure to run a big race. Stable mate Onassis has soft ground form and could give Fellowes a 1-2. 

VADREAM 2 points win @ 5/2 Bet365

Newmarket 300

A widely competitive 1m 6F Class 2 Heritage Handicap. The Golden Gates Handicap form from Royal Ascot is well represented here by winner Amtiyaz (been raised 4lb) and 3rd and 4th Global Storm ( up 2lb) and Arthurian Fable (up 1b ) and all three have claims. I’m interested in a couple here and will be backing both with my main bet on the Saeed Bin Suroor trained Live Your Dream who stepped up in trip at Wolverhampton over 2 miles last month and cantered home winning by 6 1/2L. He’s been raised 10lb for that victory but he may still be head of the assessor and the fact that his trainer pit him in the Group 1 Goodwood Cup and Group 2 Lonsdale Stakes recently may suggest that his connections feel he’s better than a handicapper. He can be backed each way with firms with enhanced place terms. The second selection is George Boughey’s Lostwithiel who looks over priced. He ran in the 2m 4F handicap at the Royal meeting and blatantly didn’t stay that day but take that run out of his CV and we have a progressive horse who had previously run Global Storm to 1/2L here at the Rowley Mile course and us 4lb better off with Arthurian Fable 2L behind. Global Storm and Arthurian Fable are currently priced at 6/1 and 8/1 whilst Lostwithiel can be backed at 14/1 which looks value. 

LIVE YOUR DREAM 1 ½ points each way @ 15/2 Paddy Power 1/5th 12345

LOSTWITHIEL 1 point each way @ 14/1 paddy Power 1/5th 12345 

Newmarket 335

The Tattersalls Falmouth Stakes is a Group 1 contest for fillies and mares and is run over 1 mile of the July course. A quality field of 13 has declared for this years renewal. Alcohol Free proved she can handle any ground when winning the Coronation Stakes at Royal Ascot on heavy from Snow Lantern and Mother Earth who both re-oppose today. That pair have 1 1/2L and a neck to make up although today’s ground will be significantly faster so it may be possible that they could. The older brigade are led by the likes of Indie Angel who may have been flattered by winning the Duke Of Cambridge Stakes at Ascot as she was given a peach of a ride by Dettori on the fastest part of the track. The filly I like is Ed Walker’s Primo Bacio who missed Ascot due to the soft ground and will love this faster terrain. She was so impressive in a listed race at York in May when she beat Snow Lantern far easier than Alcohol Free did at Ascot, readily scooting clear to win by a comfortable 3L from Creative Flair (winner since). She looked very smart that day and with fast ground likely here in her favour looks the bet. 

PRIMO BACIO 1 ½ points each way @ 6/1 1/5th 12345

Well managed to nab a good placed GG (Sam Maximus)  at 40/1 despite my nap (Dig Two) totally bombing out to come plumb last, too bad to be true.

So we go again with a bunch of not that impressive 2yo's in the Duchess of Cambridge stakes Group 2. 2:25 Newmarket.

1 Hello You                117       11/4

2 Ellade                     116       40/1

3 Sandrine                115       15/8

3 Desert Dreamer     115       12/1

Looking at that lot the obvious bet is Ellade @ 40/1. To Win if your man enough or EW if your one of those cautious sensible types. (Well hard men go for the whopping Forecast)

managed to get the fc and tc there pity i couldn't get the big price in but it was exciting for a while

Edited by Zilzalian
update

8 hours ago, Zilzalian said:

To Win if your man enough or EW if your one of those cautious sensible types. (Well hard men go for the whopping Forecast)

I normally go for win bets bet EW maybe if their are extra places available or if their is an odds on favourite. I haven't done a forecast for years, I read somewhere that the way they are calculated means they are bad value.

Actually regarding fcasts and indeed tricasts they can be some of the best value bets IMO  however gen only worth placing just before the off as they are based on the SP and the make up of the race needs to be right with the type of jockey and trainer that has no interest in being placed if it can't win on a fav or 2ndfav getting out the frame.

There's always a few everyday if you know what you are looking for and at the right prices you only need to get the occasional hit to be in profit. 

2 hours ago, harrisman said:

Actually regarding fcasts and indeed tricasts they can be some of the best value bets IMO  however gen only worth placing just before the off as they are based on the SP and the make up of the race needs to be right with the type of jockey and trainer that has no interest in being placed if it can't win on a fav or 2ndfav getting out the frame.

There's always a few everyday if you know what you are looking for and at the right prices you only need to get the occasional hit to be in profit. 

Is it possible for you to post some of these up? I realise that if they are posted up just before the off very few members will be able to get on them, but it would be interesting to see how it works in practice and an insight into how you arrive at the selections would be useful.

4 hours ago, MCLARKE said:

I normally go for win bets bet EW maybe if their are extra places available or if their is an odds on favourite. I haven't done a forecast for years, I read somewhere that the way they are calculated means they are bad value.

It is the case that returning forecasts and tricasts are hammered by the bookies, some of them are shocking beyond belief but you have to work with what is available and the best way to think of FCs is if your selection is a decent price lets say 10/1 or greater then pic another and put it in a forecast for small stakes ish unless your confident then u can use a higher stake. one of the main problems with punters they seem to be more worried about losing so are dismissive of what they perceive to be "longshots" 

3 hours ago, harrisman said:

365 do BOG on fc which is handy.

1 hour ago, The Equaliser said:

Is it possible for you to post some of these up? I realise that if they are posted up just before the off very few members will be able to get on them, but it would be interesting to see how it works in practice and an insight into how you arrive at the selections would be useful.

It's normally selections that I might be interested in trading (gen laying initially) for a place on the exchanges. Ie weak 1st /2nd favs that are short priced. I'll note down a few of these  and if I don't actually lay them at the time will have a look nearer the race and if they have shortened then, if I don't feel like entering the market on the exchanges which is a different discussion, I will oppose them with a forecast as the other selections drift. 5-7 runner races work best I've found, esp handicaps, low grade in particular and tracks where even in small fields trouble in running is a regular occurrence. It does help to have a laying mindset though and, also the individuals own approach to handicapping the field and having a feel for what the prices should be.Roughly I'd want the prices on my forecast sele tions to be at least 20- 25% greater than what I feel they should be. 

IE 5/1.rather than 4/1

However if there has been massive market moves to a very short priced fav I'd normally avoid the event and if there partic connections involved. Jamie, Spencer top of the list for one. 

Been persuaded to do four selections today: Will do a 50p win yankee and then £2 win bets on all selections

2.25 Nm Sandrine 5/2

2.40 YK Vadream 2/1

2.50 Asc Garden Paradise 5/2

3.15 Yk Jilly Cooper 2/1

One 50p win Yankee = £5.50 poss return £154.97

4 single bets at £2 = £8.00 = Total stakes of £13.50

I do have some other singles fancies but will come back later on these

Trixie - all prices are B365 BOG

2.50 Ascot - Garden Paradise - (5/2) - Stable in hot form (5/14 last 2 weeks) and top of my ratings.

6.15 Chepstow - Bellevarde - (13/8) - Top of hcp (which I like), CD winner, top of my ratings.

8.30 Chester - Lincoln Park - (11/8) - Top of hcp, Trainer Dascmbe likes Chester, top of my ratings.

* Also had a word for 1.15 Nmkt - Ehraz (around 4/1) .. was 10/1 last night when I received the selection. Personally wouldn't go too mad on an unraced horse in a 14 runner 2yo maiden.

2 hours ago, NAGNAGNAGNEIGH said:

Morning all newbie here

Anyone a place bettor ?

Opening Bet of the day 

1.05 Ascot Bethersden Boy

10 units to places at 5/4 ( 3 places )

Welcome to Punters Lounge; i wish you well and hope you stay a while.  I do sometimes make place bets.  I regard them as separate from ew bets.  I usually put mine on the Betfair Exchange.  If the horse is an outsider one can normally request longer odds and get them matched

21 hours ago, The Brigadier said:

Six terrestrial TV races for racing on Friday and the times looked fast enough at Newmarket on Thursday despite the fact they were kicking the top off. York is officially good to soft so best to look for horses who like to get their toe in at the Yorkshire track..

Newmarket 150

A competitive three year old handicap run over 10F. Many of the big Southern stables are represented and it maybe the Newmarket handler William Haggas that takes the spoils with his Pride Of Dubai gelding who made his re-appearance in the Britannia Handicap at Royal Ascot when racing on the seemingly unfavoured far side and coming home best of that group finishing 4th in the race only beaten 2 1/2L. That was a hell of a run and with normal improvement can take a hand in the finish of this open handicap. The dangers are plenty with John & Thady Gosden running two in Peter The Great and Highland Rocker with the former of that pair possibly the biggest danger to my selection. Royal Ascot winner Foxes Tales comes into the equation though has to prove himself on faster ground and is 9lb higher than his win. 

York 205

Cormier has been pulled out twice since winning at Pontefract in May due to the ground being too fast and this Brian Ellison 5 year old looks thrown in on his hurdle form. He will be hard to beat today with conditions to suit. He was runner up in the Swinton Handicap Hurdle at Haydock in May and is currently rated 133 in that sphere. He can race off of 75 today and has the soft ground he obviously needs. His opponents are all much of muchness in my eyes with the best of them possibly Bollin Joan who bounced back to form last time but has to shoulder a 5lb penalty. 

Newmarket 225

Andrew Balding had an excellent Royal Ascot with three winners and one of those Sandrine can follow up here and take this Group 2 Duchess Of Cambridge Stakes.  She took the Albany Stakes from Hello You with Oscula back in third and the disappointing Flotus way back in 13th. I can’t really see any reason why this daughter of Bobby Kitten won’t confirm the form on much faster ground as an American bred she should be best on a sounder surface. Ralph Beckett’s Hello You has 1 1/2L to make up on the selection and may chase her home. 

York 2.40

Charlie Fellowes saddles two with chances here in Onassis and Vadream and it’s the latter that catches my eye in the Group 3 William Hill Summer Stakes run over 6F for fillies and mares only. This three year old drops back to 6F having run an excellent third in the 7F Jersey Stakes at Royal Ascot on soft ground last time out behind Creative Force who’s a big fancy for the July Cup on Saturday. Jamie Spencer is in the saddle and looks sure to run a big race. Stable mate Onassis has soft ground form and could give Fellowes a 1-2. 

Newmarket 300

A widely competitive 1m 6F Class 2 Heritage Handicap. The Golden Gates Handicap form from Royal Ascot is well represented here by winner Amtiyaz (been raised 4lb) and 3rd and 4th Global Storm ( up 2lb) and Arthurian Fable (up 1b ) and all three have claims. I’m interested in a couple here and will be backing both with my main bet on the Saeed Bin Suroor trained Live Your Dream who stepped up in trip at Wolverhampton over 2 miles last month and cantered home winning by 6 1/2L. He’s been raised 10lb for that victory but he may still be head of the assessor and the fact that his trainer pit him in the Group 1 Goodwood Cup and Group 2 Lonsdale Stakes recently may suggest that his connections feel he’s better than a handicapper. He can be backed each way with firms with enhanced place terms. The second selection is George Boughey’s Lostwithiel who looks over priced. He ran in the 2m 4F handicap at the Royal meeting and blatantly didn’t stay that day but take that run out of his CV and we have a progressive horse who had previously run Global Storm to 1/2L here at the Rowley Mile course and us 4lb better off with Arthurian Fable 2L behind. Global Storm and Arthurian Fable are currently priced at 6/1 and 8/1 whilst Lostwithiel can be backed at 14/1 which looks value. 

Newmarket 335

The Tattersalls Falmouth Stakes is a Group 1 contest for fillies and mares and is run over 1 mile of the July course. A quality field of 13 has declared for this years renewal. Alcohol Free proved she can handle any ground when winning the Coronation Stakes at Royal Ascot on heavy from Snow Lantern and Mother Earth who both re-oppose today. That pair have 1 1/2L and a neck to make up although today’s ground will be significantly faster so it may be possible that they could. The older brigade are led by the likes of Indie Angel who may have been flattered by winning the Duke Of Cambridge Stakes at Ascot as she was given a peach of a ride by Dettori on the fastest part of the track. The filly I like is Ed Walker’s Primo Bacio who missed Ascot due to the soft ground and will love this faster terrain. She was so impressive in a listed race at York in May when she beat Snow Lantern far easier than Alcohol Free did at Ascot, readily scooting clear to win by a comfortable 3L from Creative Flair (winner since). She looked very smart that day and with fast ground likely here in her favour looks the bet. 

A decent day finding 4 of the 6 winners for a profit of 27.2 points. Saturday's selections up soon.

22 hours ago, The Brigadier said:

Newmarket 150

York 205

Newmarket 225

York 2.40

Newmarket 300

Newmarket 335

@The Equaliser A 10p lucky 63, £6.30 on @The Brigadier selections returned 107.58 My advice to you last night to shadow the brigadiers selections for a while was the best tip your going to get this year. Well done The Brigadier excellent tipping and info.

22 hours ago, The Brigadier said:

Newmarket 150

York 205

Newmarket 225

York 2.40

Newmarket 300

Newmarket 335

great tipping as ever 

4 hours ago, harrisman said:

It's normally selections that I might be interested in trading (gen laying initially) for a place on the exchanges. Ie weak 1st /2nd favs that are short priced. I'll note down a few of these  and if I don't actually lay them at the time will have a look nearer the race and if they have shortened then, if I don't feel like entering the market on the exchanges which is a different discussion, I will oppose them with a forecast as the other selections drift. 5-7 runner races work best I've found, esp handicaps, low grade in particular and tracks where even in small fields trouble in running is a regular occurrence. It does help to have a laying mindset though and, also the individuals own approach to handicapping the field and having a feel for what the prices should be.Roughly I'd want the prices on my forecast sele tions to be at least 20- 25% greater than what I feel they should be. 

IE 5/1.rather than 4/1

However if there has been massive market moves to a very short priced fav I'd normally avoid the event and if there partic connections involved. Jamie, Spencer top of the list for one. 

The 6.00 Chester is worth a look in this regard. A 7 1/2 Furlong event for Female amateur jockeys. I can make cases for getting the top 2/3 in the market out for a variety of reasons. My ratings have Garden Oasis and Defence Treaty 1 and 2. I can give a squeak to Fieldsm an as well. If Acquisitor drifts then it maybe worth including in a perm for 2nd place with Fieldsman who I may consider for a straight tricast as a 3rd to Garden Oasis/Defence Treaty as well. 

1 hour ago, Zilzalian said:

@The Equaliser A 10p lucky 63, £6.30 on @The Brigadier selections returned 107.58 My advice to you last night to shadow the brigadiers selections for a while was the best tip your going to get this year. Well done The Brigadier excellent tipping and info.

Yes very well done to @TheBrigadier.  I did do two of his selections.  The mind boggles at including 6 selections in combination bets.  I don't shadow anyone I'm afraid.  My rationale is the same towards anyone's selections and that is that they may well be worth a second look at in case I missed something.  I have to disagree with you on the singles bets aspect of the lucky 15 or 63 as was the above case.  It has to be logical to have more stakes on the singles bets.  However, in the spirit of the best strategy when placing these multiple bets it may well be best not to do any singles bets at all for almost the entire run of the bet.  However, when it comes to the last leg and you have no winners then and only then place a win bet on the last named selection to try and recoup the total stakes of the original bet.  If there is just one winner in the legs and there is a chance of a double and the double won't return all your stake just place enough money on the last named to recoup your stakes.  The idea is to minimise one 's risk in the hope of reaping rich rewards. Just a thought