** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** ELO Ratings are now back **

Tennis Tips - July 29 - August 4

Peter Gojowczyk (+4.5) to beat Milos Raonic at 1.81 with Pinnacle

Sometimes, lucky losers play so freely that they go much further than anyone could expect and that does seem to be the case with Peter this week. He lost in the qualifiers against Donald Young, which was a bad result, but, since then, he's beaten both Rublev and De Minaur, which is just crazy. And no, there wasn't much luck involved either, as he just bashed his way through while serving well, so I think that he has every chance of covering such a large line against Raonic. I don't really see him winning, but the line is just too high given that we're fairly likely to see a tie-break.

54 minutes ago, CzechPunter said:

Sometimes, lucky losers play so freely that they go much further than anyone could expect and that does seem to be the case with Peter this week. He lost in the qualifiers against Donald Young, which was a bad result, but, since then, he's beaten both Rublev and De Minaur, which is just crazy. And no, there wasn't much luck involved either, as he just bashed his way through while serving well, so I think that he has every chance of covering such a large line against Raonic. I don't really see him winning, but the line is just too high given that we're fairly likely to see a tie-break.

I would bet on his win without handicap.

Fognini is given a 2.0 odd to win against Taylor Fritz while Fritz has 1.8 @bet365

I see some big value here and don’t quite understand why the italian is the underdog, even though he plays not his best tennis but he still performs though.. h2h is also 1-0 in favor of Fognini

Edited by cialivinci

@cialivinci It's the usual thing - you can never be sure which Fognini will turn up. If he's motivated then the price looks good. If he isn't then it's not so good. After watching his results over the last ten years or so, unless he's up against a top player like Nadal he can't be relied upon to give his best effort and to stay in control of his emotions and those are the things that have seen him lose so many times to players that he should have beaten.

5 hours ago, CzechPunter said:

While I agree with you about Gojowczyk, we have to take into consideration that Rublev came from Hamburg after a full week and De Minaur came from Atlanta after a full week. They must feel some sort of fatigue. They might wanted to take a few days off before Masters event next week. Having said that Raonic is playing his first tournament after Wimbledon, and he might want to get his rhythm back before the Masters. So handicap looks really good to be honest, losing in 2 close sets would be okay but I'm not really sure about going in with this one.

Looks like the bet on Lorenzi was just stupid, sorry about that.

Minnen/Van Uytvanck to beat Han/Yuan at 1.62 with Unibet

Minnen and Van Uytvanck are apparently together even off the court, which is something that you don't see that often, but it isn't hurting their game in any way and they've been doing well in the doubles so far, winning in Luxembourg last year and not losing to anyone worse so far this year. They were brilliant in round one, beating a dangerous pair 6-1 6-3, while Han/Yuan will be playing together for the second time in 2019 after needing three sets to beat Dzalamidze/Sizikova, who aren't as dangerous in my opinion. It also very much seems that the Karlsruhe conditions feel like home for players from the Netherlands.

Taylor Fritz to beat Fabio Fognini @ 1.80 William Hill

Following on from my earlier post, I've decided to take Fognini on. He's too unpredictable to be backed at shorter prices, and I'd reckon that siding with him at evens or lower would be showing a tidy loss so far in his career ( @Tennis Picks can probably answer that). This isn't just about Fognini though, as Fritz has been playing well for a while now and like most Americans plays his best tennis on hard. He was a bit slow to start against Gunneswaran but recovered well and if he can up his consistency levels that could be enough to get the win here - nothing frustrates Fognini more than consistent play which makes sense as it's the opposite of his playing style. The Italian can certainly win this and although he prefers clay he plays well enough on hard, but all things considered I think Fritz should be a little shorter.

5 hours ago, Torque said:

Taylor Fritz to beat Fabio Fognini @ 1.80 William Hill

Following on from my earlier post, I've decided to take Fognini on. He's too unpredictable to be backed at shorter prices, and I'd reckon that siding with him at evens or lower would be showing a tidy loss so far in his career ( @Tennis Picks can probably answer that). This isn't just about Fognini though, as Fritz has been playing well for a while now and like most Americans plays his best tennis on hard. He was a bit slow to start against Gunneswaran but recovered well and if he can up his consistency levels that could be enough to get the win here - nothing frustrates Fognini more than consistent play which makes sense as it's the opposite of his playing style. The Italian can certainly win this and although he prefers clay he plays well enough on hard, but all things considered I think Fritz should be a little shorter.

Backing Fognini as fave over his whole career would amount to a total of 29pts profit with 1pt stakes. 

When you do it just on hard court, you end with 11pts profit. 

48 minutes ago, Robinnho said:

A Ramos to beat C Ruud @1.65 with Pinnacle.

Not much of a value but confident that Ramos will continue to play at his high level showing no fatigue since playing day in day out on clay after the Wimbledon for almost a month now. H2H Ramos leading by 3-0.

:beer

I would be careful. Maybe +1.5 sets to Ruud. The 20 years boy is playing pretty good and the fact that Ramos has been playing almost every day  in last 2-3 weeks might have a role here.

8 hours ago, Tennis Picks said:

Backing Fognini as fave over his whole career would amount to a total of 29pts profit with 1pt stakes. 

When you do it just on hard court, you end with 11pts profit. 

That's surprising. I was sure Fognini would be a bad proposition as a favourite - must be confirmation bias at work :ok

3 hours ago, vvararu said:

I would be careful. Maybe +1.5 sets to Ruud. The 20 years boy is playing pretty good and the fact that Ramos has been playing almost every day  in last 2-3 weeks might have a role here.

Ramos still going strong! 

Won 7-5, 6-4?

Medvedev to win ATP Washington @ 4.50

Should have been on this yesterday before he played Tiafoe (I think you could get 8.0) but I think Medvedev has a good chance here. He's playing Cilic tonight, who has been in bad form this year and then either Edmund/Gojowczyk in the SF. Then he probably faces Tsitsipas/Kyrgios in the final. Kyrgios is looking dangerous in the top half of the draw but I never bet on NK since he is so temperamental (and a disgrace to tennis).

Edited by South_African_Punter

A few people mentioned Gojowczyk yesterday. I believe he offers good value today as well. I took him to win a set at 1.9 with Bet365 earlier, now it's up to 2.00. H2H shows that he managed to win a set in each of the previous two matches played (both of hem on hard court too). A word of caution: in both matches he won the first set and then Edmund easily won the next two sets. So there might have been an element of surprise... and now Edmund might be better prepared. But Gojowczyk seems to be on a roll so odds look good to me.