** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **

Who Do You Support?

StevieDay1983

Something a little different this week to the usual debate questions. Just keen to hear what football club you all support. Some of you such as @Kenton Schweppes, @skyblues88, @andrewcalo, and @allyhibs have already made it know who they support so maybe you lads can tell us how you came to support your respective teams?

The rest of you, keen to hear from the likes of @Neubs, @tilly, @gogetta, @clubgowi and many others about who you all support.

16 hours ago, Neubs said:

I´m supporting Werder Bremen in Germany, since my birth. But i must travel to Bremen at least around 400 KM each way.

In England, i looking for Stoke City and a little bit for Swansea...

I remember coming back from Gran Canaria back in 2006 and bumping into a load of Werder Bremen fans in the airport because they were over for a Champions League game with Chelsea I think it was. So have always had a soft spot for them because they created a great atmosphere and we had some good laughs with them.

How come Stoke and Swansea over here?

Big fan of Barcelona since I started watching football little bit seriously. I can remember '96 generation with Guardiola, Stoickhov, Ronaldo,.. and then after that with Guardiola as captain of the team with many Dutch players, so I can say that Barcelona is in my heart even if I am from Slovenia otherwise. Need to admit that I was big fan of French national team, specially because of Zidane (Juventus was also one of my favourite teams from childhood), Vieira, Henry,... and now I am living in France, in Nantes if I am more precise and I already fall in love with La Beaujoire even if it would be much better in 2000 when they were one of the best teams in France.

Older I am, more time I am devoting to different coaches. It's not hard to figure out who is my idol, but because I'm crazy about tactics I am following lots of coaches. Right after Guardiola, there is Cruyff for who I am happy that he doesn't need to see Barcelona right now. This club is becoming totally false. If Bartomeu will stay as president, then I am afraid that Barcelona will stay without Messi, Pique and Iniesta, while Rafinha, Denis Suarez and Sergi Roberto won't be good enough for first team, and club will bring stars from all around the world (Coutinho, etc.) and then we'll be another Real Madrid. It's really hard for me to see how La Masia is going down, how there is no more players from youth categories, as that is one of the biggest reasons why I am that proud of that club.

In 2012 Pep started match with La Masia team: Victor Valdes, Martin Montoya, Carles Puyol, Gerard Pique, Jordi Alba, Xavi, Sergio Busquets, Andres Iniesta, Pedro, Lionel Messi and Cesc Fabregas. And 5 years after that? Plastic fantastic. :( We can be happy that Messi is still here... 

http://www.marca.com/en/football/barcelona/2017/01/11/58764755e5fdea2e788b4629.html

Edited by Pep004

Well, I really like Real Madrid from Spain and Corinthians from Brazil. They're both really good teams, I don't think I have to explain why Real Madrid is awesome right? All good players there and a very classy style of conducting the game. But Corinthians was different, in 2015 they proved to be great as well, Tite their coach made it happen in beautiful way, and they were the champions, just saying. But I actually start to pay attention on them because of my boyfriend... haha he made me watch a lot of games and before I could realize I start to support them too. hehe ;)

@StevieDay1983

I was born and bred in Coventry, 18 months after we won the 1987 FA Cup against the much fancied Tottenham side (we are still the only team to beat Tottenham in an FA Cup Final at Wembley - 8 wins, 1 loss).

I started going up in 1996/97 in our premier league years. We were known as the entertainers at home in the 1999/2000 season when we had the likes of Robbie Keane, Mustapha Hadji, Youssef Chippo, Gary McCallister, Cedric Roussel, etc. We won 12 home league games but we failed to win an away league game all season! Things went drastically downhill from this point onwards. The sale of key players such as Robbie Keane and Gary McCallister condemned us to relegation the following season. Highfield Road was knocked down and replaced by houses and we moved to the Ricoh Arena in 2005.

Since SISU bought the club in 2007 we have got relegated to League 1, entered administration, had two 10 point deductions, left Coventry for a season to ground share with Northampton, returned to the Ricoh Arena (with the stadium owned by London Wasps Rugby Club), now have the youngest squad in the football league and a pitch invasion against the owners live on Sky. Oh and I forgot .... there is the possibility of leaving Coventry again at the end of next season when our deal with Wasps to play at the Ricoh Arena ends!  We have not finished in the top 6 of any division for 46 years! 

#sisuout

9 hours ago, skyblues88 said:

@StevieDay1983

I was born and bred in Coventry, 18 months after we won the 1987 FA Cup against the much fancied Tottenham side (we are still the only team to beat Tottenham in an FA Cup Final at Wembley - 8 wins, 1 loss).

I started going up in 1996/97 in our premier league years. We were known as the entertainers at home in the 1999/2000 season when we had the likes of Robbie Keane, Mustapha Hadji, Youssef Chippo, Gary McCallister, Cedric Roussel, etc. We won 12 home league games but we failed to win an away league game all season! Things went drastically downhill from this point onwards. The sale of key players such as Robbie Keane and Gary McCallister condemned us to relegation the following season. Highfield Road was knocked down and replaced by houses and we moved to the Ricoh Arena in 2005.

Since SISU bought the club in 2007 we have got relegated to League 1, entered administration, had two 10 point deductions, left Coventry for a season to ground share with Northampton, returned to the Ricoh Arena (with the stadium owned by London Wasps Rugby Club), now have the youngest squad in the football league and a pitch invasion against the owners live on Sky. Oh and I forgot .... there is the possibility of leaving Coventry again at the end of next season when our deal with Wasps to play at the Ricoh Arena ends!  We have not finished in the top 6 of any division for 46 years! 

#sisuout

That is probably the best of cup finals of the last 40 years, Keith Houchen's diving header, remember watching it as a 11 year old!!

Born and bred in Huddersfield and just like my dad, support Huddersfield Town, been a season ticket holder for donkey's years, since childhood and I'm off to Sheffield Wednesday today.

13 hours ago, Kenton Schweppes said:

That is probably the best of cup finals of the last 40 years, Keith Houchen's diving header, remember watching it as a 11 year old!!

Born and bred in Huddersfield and just like my dad, support Huddersfield Town, been a season ticket holder for donkey's years, since childhood and I'm off to Sheffield Wednesday today.

Yhh, John Motson's favourite cup final and a brilliant diving header by Houchen, he threw himself at the ball !

Bet it was a good atmosphere at Sheffield Weds today, shame about the result tho. What are Sheff Weds playing like? With their squad I fancy them for promotion. Hopefully you will bounce back at home to Ipswich next game. 

We lost away at Chesterfield and we are now bottom of league one! 2 big home games in a row now against Fleetwood and Port Vale. 

2 minutes ago, skyblues88 said:

Yhh, John Motson's favourite cup final and a brilliant diving header by Houchen, he threw himself at the ball !

Bet it was a good atmosphere at Sheffield Weds today, shame about the result tho. What are Sheff Weds playing like? With their squad I fancy them for promotion. Hopefully you will bounce back at home to Ipswich next game. 

We lost away at Chesterfield and we are now bottom of league one! 2 big home games in a row now against Fleetwood and Port Vale. 

Yeah it was a decent atmosphere, 28k there. To be honest I thought we were worth a point today, we dominated the first half but a long range worldy and a breakaway goal whilst we were throwing the kitchen sink at them whilst being down to 10 men too. To be honest I wasn't overly impressed with Wednesday, nor was I when we played them at home but they've done the double over us now and they seem to have turned into a right bogey side for us of late.

I saw your result at Chesterfield, it's looking really grim now if we're honest, the club seems on it's knees, bottom of the league, crowds dwindling to under 10k, SISU killing the club. Where's the light at the end of the tunnel or have SISU turned it off?

Incidentally, Coventry City are one of the few clubs I've never seen Huddersfield play, in fact we've not met since 1977 in a cup tie and not in the league since the 1972!! When we came up, you passed us on the way down, typical, I was willing for you to stay up just so we could play you!!

8 minutes ago, Kenton Schweppes said:

Yeah it was a decent atmosphere, 28k there. To be honest I thought we were worth a point today, we dominated the first half but a long range worldy and a breakaway goal whilst we were throwing the kitchen sink at them whilst being down to 10 men too. To be honest I wasn't overly impressed with Wednesday, nor was I when we played them at home but they've done the double over us now and they seem to have turned into a right bogey side for us of late.

I saw your result at Chesterfield, it's looking really grim now if we're honest, the club seems on it's knees, bottom of the league, crowds dwindling to under 10k, SISU killing the club. Where's the light at the end of the tunnel or have SISU turned it off?

Incidentally, Coventry City are one of the few clubs I've never seen Huddersfield play, in fact we've not met since 1977 in a cup tie and not in the league since the 1972!! When we came up, you passed us on the way down, typical, I was willing for you to stay up just so we could play you!!

I'll see how they do in the rest of January before betting on them. I'd love to go to a game again with a crowd of somewhere near 28k!! 

Yh they are killing us. At this rate it wont be many years till we fold. Got to sell star players every year to "balance the books" so they say. Jordan Willis (to Bristol City), Ben Stevenson (to Brentford) and Cian Harries (to Liverpool) have all been linked with January moves. Russell Slade's signings so far have been positive. Stuart Beavon gives us alot of hard work up front and Nathan Clarke looks solid at the back. But we need more quality and experience if we are going to survive. Also, SISU are planning to sell our training ground and build houses on it! 

I didn't know it was that long since Coventry and Huddersfield met, that's a great stat. Yours is a ground I want to go to to tick it off the list. Looks a decent stadium. 

6 minutes ago, skyblues88 said:

I'll see how they do in the rest of January before betting on them. I'd love to go to a game again with a crowd of somewhere near 28k!! 

Yh they are killing us. At this rate it wont be many years till we fold. Got to sell star players every year to "balance the books" so they say. Jordan Willis (to Bristol City), Ben Stevenson (to Brentford) and Cian Harries (to Liverpool) have all been linked with January moves. Russell Slade's signings so far have been positive. Stuart Beavon gives us alot of hard work up front and Nathan Clarke looks solid at the back. But we need more quality and experience if we are going to survive. Also, SISU are planning to sell our training ground and build houses on it! 

I didn't know it was that long since Coventry and Huddersfield met, that's a great stat. Yours is a ground I want to go to to tick it off the list. Looks a decent stadium. 

At this rate we'll never play each other again!!

Nathan Clarke started his career with us and played a lot of games for us, 294 appearances in fact, fairly solid defender, showed early promise in his early days but injuries stalled his career a bit. Slade had him at Leyton Orient that's why he's brought him in I expect, experience.

@Kenton Schweppes

Yh he's a no nonsense defender who will put his head where it will get hurt. Also signed Kevin Foley. We needed experience, as before the signings the age of our starting defence was 21, 22, 22, 20. Need proper men and warriors at the back in this league, not kids. 

Simon Jordan has come out this week saying he would be interesting buying us as part of a consortium, we'll see how far that gets. 

Edited by skyblues88

On 14/01/2017, 00:01:40, skyblues88 said:

@StevieDay1983

#sisuout

Most would say SISU have been the reason for Coventry's demise. My opinion is that you're to blame because things have been going downhill since you were born! :D

In all seriousness, I've got a huge soft spot for Coventry and really hope things turn around for you. Deserve Premier League football.

On 15/01/2017, 22:20:11, StevieDay1983 said:

Most would say SISU have been the reason for Coventry's demise. My opinion is that you're to blame because things have been going downhill since you were born! :D

In all seriousness, I've got a huge soft spot for Coventry and really hope things turn around for you. Deserve Premier League football.

:lol  Now you do have a point there!!  I've never seen any success! Good job I have a beer after the games :beer

Massive game tomorrow at home to Fleetwood. If we get beat then we are looking more towards League 2 football rather than Premier League football!! 

9 hours ago, skyblues88 said:

:lol  Now you do have a point there!!  I've never seen any success! Good job I have a beer after the games :beer

Massive game tomorrow at home to Fleetwood. If we get beat then we are looking more towards League 2 football rather than Premier League football!! 

Being a Cardiff fan, I can tell you there is something depressingly charming about the basement division. Hopefully, you can avoid it though. Get a run of wins together now and position yourselves well for the final push. I'm backing you to get at least a draw today.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...