** April Poker League Result : 1st Like2Fish, 2nd McG, 3rd andybell666 **

Racing Chat Thread

Re: Daily Racing Chat Thread Trying to pick winners from big fields takes soo much time & effort, i don't normally bother going through races with more than 12 runners, will need a break from racing after tomorrow's over..! :unsure

Re: Daily Racing Chat Thread James Doyle :clap Great ride on Serenity Spa in the 2.30 at Lingfield. Was uncharacteristically very keen for half the race, Doyle got the front-runner in behind Queen Aggie and managed to calm the filly. Came through and won nicely at the end.

Re: Daily Racing Chat Thread Formerly in Ireland trained Designs On Rome (and there 2nd behind Dawn Approach in the G1 Vincent O'Brien Stakes) won today the Hong Kong Derby. Huge performance it was considering the position he came from!

Re: Daily Racing Chat Thread just looking forward to the big races coming up ...........not far to the grand national now and ive rated the grandnational and teaforthree the fav is 2nd placed but top rated is the 50/1 shot across the bay ?............does anyone know anything about this horse ?........I like the trainer McCain ........does well with long distance horses .........at the moment he is due to run off around 147-148 which I wouldn't want him any higher than that ................he ran a cracker in the last fling chase over 3m4f on heavy ground and that shows he wont lack stamina ..........didn't do too well last time unsaddling rider but better than falling and to be honest that hasn't done his rating too much harm .........at 50/1 I just think he looks a cracking bet in the national ? I don't like the fav ........too high .............long run is 3rd rated ..........shalakaboomboom is 4th rated on old form ........crap on recent form but still interesting at 33/1.......I can feel a big double coming on ......lol

Re: Daily Racing Chat Thread

just looking forward to the big races coming up ...........not far to the grand national now and ive rated the grandnational and teaforthree the fav is 2nd placed but top rated is the 50/1 shot across the bay ?............does anyone know anything about this horse ?........I like the trainer McCain ........does well with long distance horses .........at the moment he is due to run off around 147-148 which I wouldn't want him any higher than that ................he ran a cracker in the last fling chase over 3m4f on heavy ground and that shows he wont lack stamina ..........didn't do too well last time unsaddling rider but better than falling and to be honest that hasn't done his rating too much harm .........at 50/1 I just think he looks a cracking bet in the national ? I don't like the fav ........too high .............long run is 3rd rated ..........shalakaboomboom is 4th rated on old form ........crap on recent form but still interesting at 33/1.......I can feel a big double coming on ......lol
Backed that one last year and I was quite sweet on him and tbh he didnt seem to stay. They rode him prominantly so maybe they will try and hold on to him this time but thats always risky in the National too. I also get the impression that he prefers softer ground. Watch it back and see what you think.

Backed that one last year and I was quite sweet on him and tbh he didnt seem to stay. They rode him prominantly so maybe they will try and hold on to him this time but thats always risky in the National too. I also get the impression that he prefers softer ground. Watch it back and see what you think.
well sounds promising ................and I like the look of shakalakaboomboom too .........looks the type to be laid out for the national and on old form if Henderson can get him back he would be very well treated in the national

Re: Daily Racing Chat Thread I see Ann Stokell has 3 horses backed off the board today. Brown Pete - Kempton 9:10 (She has never had a winner at Kempton, EVER! Could be some lay at that price). Daniel Thomas - Lingfield 2:00 Decent Fella - Lingfield 4:00

Re: Daily Racing Chat Thread I would think that this kind of stuff happens more often in US racing than we think it does. I wouldn't be surprised at least if it is rather common practice. I would also like to think that it's rather unlikely it could happen in that way in Europe. Well, I hope so at least. But it's absolutely shocking anyway. The way these people talk about the horses, shows already their whole attitude towards the sport, and then it's no wonder they treat the animals like shit. They have no respect. Also the buzzer thing is quite interesting. Denied from anyone in the US, and particularly Gary Stevens always denied he ever used these buzzers, but the allegations that he did buzzer his horse to win the 1995 Kentucky Derby were always there. As in the video, he was laughing and admitted it. Just disgusting. Never liked US racing, and this is just another reason not to watch it.

Re: Daily Racing Chat Thread That really is disgusting. Its horrific enough to hear about the training conditions and injections but to then hear that the jockeys are 'buzzing' their horses at the start is horrific. I only ever really pay any interest to the Breeders Cup but I dont think I will bother anymore if that is how the American trainers/jockeys think about the horses they owe their livelihoods to.

Re: Daily Racing Chat Thread The thing is, they're using the buzzer even more so in the closing stages of the race, so inflicting extra pain to the horse through electric shocks in order to make it run faster when it matters. There are several articles and videos all over the internet about it. Just google it. In fact that shows however, that there is certainly truth to it. They did in the past and probably still do it. This got to my attention a couple of months ago for the first time when I accidantly read about the Stevens allegations. Have to admit I never ever thought before that something like that is possible or would really happen in racing...

....on average 24 horse die each WEEK at American race tracks....:loon thats scary
I'm wondering how dis figure compares to UK/IRE? USA is much bigger country with more tracks, so to see that in the right context would be important, but a figure would be quite interesting. I would assume it might be something like 6 in average...

Re: Daily Racing Chat Thread Former Epsom Derby favourite Carlton House almost won the Group 1 Ranvet Stakes in Australia today, when he attempted to make all. Big performance from him, but he got beaten on the line unfortunately.

Re: Daily Racing Chat Thread Seems like Australia will go for the 2.000 Guineas, while War Command won't race against him in that race in such a case, and will go for the French version! That is bad for all Ante-Post backers of WC - including myself.... http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2014/mar/23/french-guineas-war-command-australia-newmarket

Re: Daily Racing Chat Thread Anyone else subscribed to the RP then felt totally over-whelmed by the information available? There's just so much there I don't know what to use. Ended up losing all motivation for studying todays races and never even had a bet on.

Anyone else subscribed to the RP then felt totally over-whelmed by the information available? There's just so much there I don't know what to use. Ended up losing all motivation for studying todays races and never even had a bet on.
that rings a bell with me.........it might just be coincidence but my ability to pick winners seems to have starting fading as soon as I subscribed to the Racing Post.....I can't explain it but I now spend much less time studying form and when I do study it's much less in-depth........ maybe that would have happened anyway after a few years where I was spending hours each day on racing........maybe I'd have got a bit fed up with it anyway but perhaps subscribing to the Post was like yet another load of study to add to what I was already doing and pushed me over the edge......... sounds a bit daft but could be near the mark.......... thing is that I don't feel like 'unsubscribing' would help.............:D

Re: Daily Racing Chat Thread Yep. I've been going through patches for about a year now where I can get really excited about studying races, even a bog-standard Wednesday meeting at Wincanton, spend a couple of hours in the morning and happily pick a couple of bets. Then I'll go a few days where I sit down with a pen and paper, open the RP site and within five minutes lose all interest and switch it off. Pretty frustrating especially when we have racing like todays. I should add I tend to do with with other sports as well so maybe I'm just flawed :unsure