** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

Racing Chat Thread

Re: Daily Racing Chat Thread I say this year after year . Is there a need for the fashion coverage? Why do they need to hire different bints to discuss what people are wearing? In my opinion the executives are so out of touch with what viewers want to see. What percentage are actually interested in the fashion , I am guessing less than 5%. What I'd like to see is more betting advice , tips , featurettes, interviews , industry news and most importantly HORSES !! If you want to watch fashion , then tune into The Clothes Show on BBC1.

Re: Daily Racing Chat Thread

I say this year after year . Is there a need for the fashion coverage? Why do they need to hire different bints to discuss what people are wearing? In my opinion the executives are so out of touch with what viewers want to see. What percentage are actually interested in the fashion , I am guessing less than 5%. What I'd like to see is more betting advice , tips , featurettes, interviews , industry news and most importantly HORSES !! If you want to watch fashion , then tune into The Clothes Show on BBC1.
But Didn't the Queen look Lush

Re: Daily Racing Chat Thread Watch Racing UK (if you can) instead. Watched the recording of their coverage after work and just finished it. All I can say is Ascot profits so much from changing to RUK. Absolute sublime coverage. Professional, but not starchy and even funny in times, with excellent presenters and experts. Plenty of horse to see, with close paddock inspections etc.. I often disliked their coverage of the big meetings as it lacked atmosphere in my mind - I can't say so today. They've done a fantastic job, even though I'm sure they really wanted to make as good a start as possible. Well done RUK!

C4 are trying to make the sport more accessible' date=' that's what I imagine the whole focus on fashion business is about. However, what i'd like to see is whether the fall in viewers is overall, or just the station. Both require entirely different approaches.[/quote'] Whoever tunes in purely for the fashion won't be tuning in on a wet Winter Saturday afternoon for medicre jumps racing or any other racing.They are targeting the wrong demographic. As for the decline in viewing figures , horse racing fans have never had it so good. We don't have to tune into C4. We can watch it online for only a £1 bet , we have free replays within minutes of the race completing , relatively affordable dedicated racing channels on Sky. Who needs to tune in live to C4 ?

Re: Daily Racing Chat Thread Exactly, they won't be tuning in. So the logic they've employed, which I don't agree with but is the case, is that they can capture the attention of those who are tuning in for King Gok, and even if they don't stick around, they help prop up the ascot figures. On the viewing figures point, we certainly have more streams, but more ways to view is different to having more viewers. The point I was getting at is, is viewers across the industry on decline, or is it just C4 that couldn't run a prayer in a church.

Exactly' date=' they won't be tuning in. So the logic they've employed, which I don't agree with but is the case, is that they can capture the attention of those who are tuning in for King Gok, and even if they don't stick around, they help prop up the ascot figures. On the viewing figures point, we certainly have more streams, but more ways to view is different to having more viewers. The point I was getting at is, is viewers across the industry on decline, or is it just C4 that couldn't run a prayer in a church.[/quote'] Figures across the whole industry are declining as far as I know, simply because these days people can watch the programs they like whenever they want via on demand TV players, or online, or simply recording it (personally I record everything, and watch it whenever I feel in the mood for it). That is very much unlike what it used to be for many decades, when you had to sit in front of the TV at a certain time if you didn't want to miss your favourite program. So the whole thing with figures and market shares is somewhat irrelevant these days I feel.

Figures across the whole industry are declining as far as I know' date=' simply because these days people can watch the programs they like whenever they want via on demand TV players, or online, or simply recording it (personally I record everything, and watch it whenever I feel in the mood for it). That is very much unlike what it used to be for many decades, when you had to sit in front of the TV at a certain time if you didn't want to miss your favourite program. So the whole thing with figures and market shares is somewhat irrelevant these days I feel.[/quote'] Very good point, you ever thought of joining the Polis ? lol

Re: Daily Racing Chat Thread Fair play to BETFRED for offering ''IN STORE'' BOG I have been saying for months this should be on every race ''DAILY'' and not just for special occasion meetings, BUT today is a start. WHY should the punter who sits betting online get better terms than the man in the bookmakers standing with cash. The other high street bookmakers should & could learn from ''BETFRED''

Whoever tunes in purely for the fashion won't be tuning in on a wet Winter Saturday afternoon for medicre jumps racing or any other racing.They are targeting the wrong demographic. As for the decline in viewing figures , horse racing fans have never had it so good. We don't have to tune into C4. We can watch it online for only a £1 bet , we have free replays within minutes of the race completing , relatively affordable dedicated racing channels on Sky. Who needs to tune in live to C4 ?
My horses have been running that bad i've started drifting towards the fashion, its a good buffer for the hard luck story punter lol

The cops' date=' the fuzz, the mob, boys in blue, the police[/quote'] Alright. I think polis is the greek word for "city" actually. So good to clarify this. Did you know that the police used to be the "boys in green" in Germany? Now they are blue too though. God knows why. I think green as the colour of hope is a much better fit. Don't you think so? But to answer your question: No actually I have never thought of joining them. But I wanted to be a captain of a biiiiiiiiiiiig ferry. Yes. And I liked the idea of becoming an engineer driver. But the "Polizei"? Nah, never. Probably I'm too small anyways. Are there smalls cops out there? Never seen one. Think you have to be 170cm at least - right? I mean otherwise, how are you supposed to stamp your authority? Don't quite see the correlation between TV figures and the cops though. But that might be only me, and I'm having a hell of a day! But I do work in something related to Digital Marketing, if that is any help. :p

Re: Daily Racing Chat Thread robertob They have reduced the height in the UK, don't even think they have a min anymore, my mates sister in law is a cop and she's tiny, they call her Chucky lol. Lots of cut backs in the UK with the police, this is a state of the art traffic police car. images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQw4bl2P_sZ1a8TyHV80KV5tez22af21OLHGtkxOKW7eqQx233h

Re: Daily Racing Chat Thread Yet another crazy mental bonkers result. Bookies win again and roll about laughing at us MUGS ! Roxy Lane 33-1 (9-2) Prominent, ridden halfway weakened over 2f out, last of 10, 25l behind All Right Now (9-7) at Southwell 7f hcp 0-52 (6) fbs in Mar http://www.sportinglife.com/racing/results/20-06-2014/newmarket/result/623566/adnams-newmarket-nights-apprentice-handicap

Anyone else finding it unbelievably hard to pick winners at Ascot? Finally got a winner today.
?Bookies are all off tae Monaco on Sunday, that's when they stop laughing and start living it up. The one below is away early. Luxury-Charter-Yacht.jpg

Re: Daily Racing Chat Thread Suspect that might be the last running of the Queen Alexandra in it's current form, given how they wanted to scrap it not long ago anyway. 2 deaths in 2 years doesn't look good. Unrelated injuries, but almost certain the establishment will want to be seen to take action, even when there's not one that needs to be taken.

Suspect that might be the last running of the Queen Alexandra in it's current form' date=' given how they wanted to scrap it not long ago anyway. 2 deaths in 2 years doesn't look good. Unrelated injuries, but almost certain the establishment will want to be seen to take action, even when there's not one that needs to be taken.[/quote'] Was it Tiger Cliff? I saw a tweet saying it collapsed after the line but I turned coverage over from racing to footy straight after the race so I wasn't aware of anything happening until later.

Re: Daily Racing Chat Thread Forgot to post this the other day. Jack Whitehall the comedian was being interviewed during Royal Ascot on C4 , he said he had bought a share in a very decent horse , in training at Lady Cecil's. He said he knew not very much about racing , but what I found interesting was that he said the assistant trainer did all the training ,therefore suggesting Lady Cecil isn't a proper trainer , maybe a slip of the tongue due to his limited knowledge of the sport. Obviously there have been many trainers in name only over the years , some who cannot walk let alone sit on a horse. Some trainers have day jobs elsewhere and the donkey work is done by the staff .( excuse the pun)

Suspect that might be the last running of the Queen Alexandra in it's current form' date=' given how they wanted to scrap it not long ago anyway. 2 deaths in 2 years doesn't look good. Unrelated injuries, but almost certain the establishment will want to be seen to take action, even when there's not one that needs to be taken.[/quote'] Surely you are not suggesting scrapping it due to the fatalities ? Its a blooody flat race !!! If the ground is unsuitably too fast for horses , how about a mid summer break. No racing for a month during the hottest period of the calendar. I believe some countries do this. Hong Kong has a break because its too hot. Maybe something to consider. Would be good for staff , trainers and jockeys too ,to have a short break. Top jockey R Moore doesn't have a break from the start of the season till the end , oviously not taking into account suspensions and injuries.

Re: Daily Racing Chat Thread What a joke the Irish Derby has become , 5 runners !! Nothing against AP O'Brien who has farmed the raced over the last two decades , but the race is in dire need of decent opposition. Who can remember any of the placed horses going on to win anything decent ? Dalakhani who was only beaten in this race by the owners second string and went on to win the Arc but can anyone remember anything else? APO getting the 1-2-3 , is it such a big deal ? Year after year he has multiple contenders littered with a handful of pacemakers , it is no surprise he wins it. Trainers and owners whinge about the prize money , theres well over E200,00 and E100,000 for second and third place. Theres a lot of savy trainers out there out for grabs , why hand it all tp Ballydoyle ? I'm surprised Alan Berry hasn't sent one of his 53 rated donkeys over to pick up minor place money. Come on Godolphin , Aga Khan , Qatar , Abdulla support this race !!

What a joke the Irish Derby has become , 5 runners !! Nothing against AP O'Brien who has farmed the raced over the last two decades , but the race is in dire need of decent opposition. Who can remember any of the placed horses going on to win anything decent ? Dalakhani who was only beaten in this race by the owners second string and went on to win the Arc but can anyone remember anything else? APO getting the 1-2-3 , is it such a big deal ? Year after year he has multiple contenders littered with a handful of pacemakers , it is no surprise he wins it. Trainers and owners whinge about the prize money , theres well over E200,00 and E100,000 for second and third place. Theres a lot of savy trainers out there out for grabs , why hand it all tp Ballydoyle ? I'm surprised Alan Berry hasn't sent one of his 53 rated donkeys over to pick up minor place money. Come on Godolphin , Aga Khan , Qatar , Abdulla support this race !!
Totally agree with you. O'Brien having a 1-2-3 in an Irish Classic should be an amazing training feat but when you saddle 3 of the 5 runners it's not so amazing is it? 5 runners for a prestigious Group 1 race is embarrassing for racing. How dare they moan about prize money and then not even bother competing? I know the trainers must have thought they were all playing for places only but like you say there is big money available and ideally we want to see the best horses face off against each other. When you see a procession won by a 1-8 chance it's not exactly exciting or competitive is it and we don't really learn anything from it. Sadly a lot of pattern races seem to be going this way and the jumps season is even worse for small fields and long odds on chances.

Re: Daily Racing Chat Thread It's a shame that so many trainers ducking the challenge. I don't understand why they are afraid of losing. It's a sport after all, and sometimes you have to accept that someone is better, but at least trying would be something. In the case of the Irish Derby there is so much money on offer, even if you don't finish in the last three, it's hard to understand why so many don't seem to bother. And there I fully agree with you: On one side there is moaning about prize money all over the place, but when you have the chance to earn easy money, they don't go for it. Finishing last today brought connections of Fascinating Rock €37.500 - just for showing up and finishing the race! There are Listed races out there that pay less for wining! The Irish Derby offers money down to the 8th place - still €10k then - mind you the entry fee is €12.500, even though you get this refunded if you enter your horse before the end of February and if the horse has won a pattern race in Europe until the time of Derby. Not too bad an offer... So why not going for it if you have a half decent horse? Why are they all so afraid of losing? You hardly can blame HRI or O'brien. In fact what a race would it be without Ballydoyle? Camelot wouldn't have been running in 2012 and we would have had a 3 runner race, or imagine Australia would have gone down the Eclipse route...