** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

Racing Chat Thread

Re: Daily Racing Chat Thread 2 races i have watched on saturday over and over,and if anyone has any opinions, i would like to hear 1st race 240 aueteuil un de sceaux, travelled very well,took a big lead then hung on for dear life at the end 2nd race,1615 stratford, bensbens,was/looking to win all day long when he jumped the last, but only got the race in the stewards room, i was on the winner,but never expected the race to be overturned, although i thought the jockey on first passed the post did the "race riding" and was all out for the win

Re: Daily Racing Chat Thread So proud of my boy Variety Club! Said it for years: This guy will win big things if leaving South Africa. And he delivered. Hope they bring him over to Europe, so that I can see my favourite in flesh!

Re: Daily Racing Chat Thread Variety Club will be transferred to the Mike De Kock yard with immediate effect and “will go to Hong Kong (Champions Mile) and after that we are going to decide about the European season. We might also have a tilt at the Breeders’ Cup. Royal Ascot is a possibility but we haven’t yet found a race for him.” Read more: http://www.thenational.ae/sport/horse-racing/variety-club-set-for-champions-mile-in-hong-kong#ixzz2xWz0VhJU Royal Ascot highly unlikely I think. Queen Anne over the straight mile wouldn't suit him all that well and no other race there for him. Don't think they risk him over 10f, so no Prince of Wales either. But there are plenty of other big races in Europe over the mile for him. So really hope they bring him over...

Re: Daily Racing Chat Thread Bit more about the buzzer issue in America in the New York Times: http://www.nytimes.com/2014/03/28/sports/new-light-on-seamy-role-of-buzzers-in-horse-racing.html?_r=0 Most interesting pieces in the article for me: "It is called a buzzer, a battery or a machine: It is a device the size of a lighter that conducts electrical current and shocks a racehorse into running faster. ...... Another jockey the Asmussen barn has used frequently over the years, hid the buzzer in his mouth ..... Two Asmussen employees speaking about how the Hall of Fame jockey Calvin Borel frequently employs a buzzer to work out horses and to condition them to run close to the rail, including the 2010 Kentucky Derby winner, Super Saver. ...... A unidentified jockey hiding an electrical device in the blinkers — or eyewear — of a horse before being searched. He also said that the use of the devices at Ruidoso Downs in New Mexico was so common that it often sounded “like a full-blown orchestra” behind the starting gate."

Re: Daily Racing Chat Thread

new series starts tonight for those intrested Thursday's racing programming includes 1st episode of new series charting trainee riders from tough backgrounds, JOCKEY SCHOOL (10pm, C4)
starts in a few moments followed by how to win the grand national

So proud of my boy Variety Club! Said it for years: This guy will win big things if leaving South Africa. And he delivered. Hope they bring him over to Europe, so that I can see my favourite in flesh!
He's a fantastic horse isn't he, one of my favourites. I was on him in the Godolphin Mile, I posted it in another thread. I'll be very interested to see how he gets on in the Champions Mile.

Re: Daily Racing Chat Thread Not sure if anyone took notice of this - it went under the radar for me to be honest - but Gordon Lord Byron became the first northern hemisphere trained horse to win a Group 1 in Sydney last weekend when he won the Ryder Stakes! Fantastic success for Irish trainer Tom Horgan. Brilliant ride by the local jockey too.

Re: Daily Racing Chat Thread Tom Segal has selected his ante post tip for 2000 Guineas at Newmarket on 3 May: Noozhoh Canarias 1pt win at 25-1. Tom Segal's got 2 ante post picks for the 1000 Guineas on 4 May Lucky Kristale 1pt win at 14-1 Rizeena 1pt win at 8-1.

• 2 weeks later...

Re: Daily Racing Chat Thread Don't know if it might just be coincidence (probably!) or something might not be quite right with Paul Webber's horses at the moment? Was thinking yesterday how little his runners tended to find. Maybe worth upgrading their efforts if they're not quite firing? Surprised me how little Rupert found considering he stays well normally and emptied very quickly (though I appreciate he led throughout). In running prices: Koolala 2.4 (beaten 6 1/4l) Time For Rupert 1.76 (beaten 24l) Sixty Something 1.5 (beaten 18l) I'm quite probably wrong as I'm not sure what the signs are when there's something not quite right but perhaps it could pay to forgive the efforts? His recent runners before then haven't been in form either really. I dunno, just thought it might be worth mentioning. Odds are I'm just trying to find another excuse for Rupert :lol I think I'd forgive him if I found out he'd had rice krispies instead of coco pops for his breakfast to be honest so it's quite possible!

• 2 weeks later...

Re: Daily Racing Chat Thread The South African Derby was held today at Turffontein: Louis The King, the 6/4 favourite became a racing legend today as he became with this success a very, very rare Triple Crown winner since he won the Guineas, SA Classic before already! "The King" cost only £3.000 as a yearling, which makes this success all the better! http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x1rjlpb_26-04-2014-turffontein-sa-8-race-s-a-derby-2014-group-i-2-450-m_sport

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x1rjlpb_26-04-2014-turffontein-sa-8-race-s-a-derby-2014-group-i-2-450-m_sport

Re: Daily Racing Chat Thread Could someone please educate me on why Australia is 7/4 some places 6/4 for the Derby ? Thanks Mr O'Brien said yesterday ''Sat'' Australia was a very lazy horse, today ''Sunday'' he said he was easy to train, quote ( a very clear horse ) Thanks Aidan, its all crystal clear now.

Re: Daily Racing Chat Thread One can only be impressed with Variety Club. Unreal performance on Sunday in Hong Kong's Group 1 Champion Mile. He certainly did it the hard way, overcoming a wide and unfavourable draw with all his gate speed, up with a quick pace then and when put under pressure from the closers, he simply stepped up a gear and drew away to win easily in a top class field. Said it all the years now, even when he was still racing in South Africa - he is a true champion and the best miler in the world!

One can only be impressed with Variety Club. Unreal performance on Sunday in Hong Kong's Group 1 Champion Mile. He certainly did it the hard way, overcoming a wide and unfavourable draw with all his gate speed, up with a quick pace then and when put under pressure from the closers, he simply stepped up a gear and drew away to win easily in a top class field. Said it all the years now, even when he was still racing in South Africa - he is a true champion and the best miler in the world!

There are news emerging about where Variety Club will go next. UK seems unlikely in terms of actual racing unfortunately. France and then Breeders Cup are more likely: Variety Club shattered the air of invincibility surrounding Hong Kong horses in the Gr1 Champions Mile with a stunning victory that emphatically ended the local dominance. “It’s huge for us, it’s huge for South Africa, it’s fantastic for South African breeding,” said a delighted Mike de Kock. “He will go to Mike’s yard in Newmarket now for some time off,” said the owner’s racing manager, Derek Brugman. “Ultimately we will probably be thinking about the Prix de la Foret at Longchamp and then probably the Breeders’ Cup Mile. I’m not sure if he will have a race in England – we’ll see how he pulls up but we want to give him a break. The Prix de la Foret is a qualifying race for the Breeders’ Cup, so it makes sense to go there.” http://www.sportingpost.co.za/2014/05/variety-club-where-to-now/

• 2 weeks later...

Re: Daily Racing Chat Thread True Story wins ''TWO'' races under SDS then gets jocked off, Fallon takes over and horse and jockey come home 3rd, Mmmmmm take it the boys in blue have never heard of............If it aint broke don't fix it. I'm Lost at this decision, crazy.

• 2 weeks later...

Re: Daily Racing Chat Thread Interesting quote from Aiden O'Brien: “We knew Magician would hate the ground but the race was in trouble and in danger of losing its Group One status. The race was on a yellow card and if we didn’t run the ratings would have dropped. If it lost that status it would be detrimental to Irish racing so we had to run." It is true though, that the Tattersales is probably one of the weakest Group 1's you can find and I wonder why that is? Decent money on offer, 10f, Curragh... why do trainers not go for it? Afraid of the one usual strong O'Brien runner? So afraid of losing? Strange...

Interesting quote from Aiden O'Brien: “We knew Magician would hate the ground but the race was in trouble and in danger of losing its Group One status. The race was on a yellow card and if we didn’t run the ratings would have dropped. If it lost that status it would be detrimental to Irish racing so we had to run." It is true though, that the Tattersales is probably one of the weakest Group 1's you can find and I wonder why that is? Decent money on offer, 10f, Curragh... why do trainers not go for it? Afraid of the one usual strong O'Brien runner? So afraid of losing? Strange...
That is very interesting! I wonder why he didnt mention to punters before the race as I am sure a lot of people would have left the horse alone? It does seem strange that none of the other big Irish trainers set one out for that race as even last year it was won by an English raider. Its not even like the O'Brien runner is primed for that race either (probably given they dont normally have much to beat!). Maybe we will see more English trainers targetting the race from now on as if I had a half decent 10f horse I know I would probably have a pop!

Re: Daily Racing Chat Thread In fairness to O'Brien, it wasn't his fault that Magician was as short as he was in the betting and punters who took early short odds-on prices can only blame themselves as it was rather easy to imagine that Magician wouldn't be able to run to his best on the horrible ground, which in fact Aiden even stated before the race: "We're happy with him, but with the rain they've had conditions aren't going to be ideal for him." That's why it baffles me why not more trainers try to win this race. Completely agree with you: Take a half decent 10f horse that is likely to act in the mud and you have a fair chance to be very much involved to win at least some decent price money in a Group 1 race. As much as I love flat racing, but his often all too obvious attitude to duck the challenge because of being afraid to lose, is off-putting.

• 2 weeks later...

Re: Daily Racing Chat Thread Arguably the best horse in the world at the moment - Just A Way - won the Grade 1 Yasuda Kinen yesterday at Tokyo Racecourse. But it was really tight and didn't look like he'd get up there in time, somehow he managed it though! He's entered for the Irish Champions Stakes later this year btw....

Couldn't see a specific thread for the jump racing today' date=' but I backed Danby's Legend last night at 33/1. Just check up this morning and it is 9/1. A lot of money going on it would seem.[/quote'] On the drift now fella. Good luck anyway.