Npower Football League Championship & League One» Oct 18/19

Djordje

Tuesday 18 October 2011 Home Draw Away BPP
maximize.gif Barnsley v Burnley (19:45 BST) 2.8 3.4 2.84 100.34 %
maximize.gif Ipswich Town v Portsmouth (19:45 BST) 1.89 3.6 4.5 102.91 %
maximize.gif Leeds United v Coventry City (19:45 BST) 1.7 4.1 5.9 100.16 %
maximize.gif Millwall v Brighton & Hove Albion (19:45 BST) 2.84 3.5 2.74 100.28 %
maximize.gif Nottingham Forest v Middlesbrough (19:45 BST) 2.8 3.45 2.74 101.20 %
maximize.gif Peterborough United v Cardiff City (19:45 BST) 2.62 3.5 3 100.00 %
maximize.gif Southampton v West Ham (19:45 BST) 2.3 3.6 3.35 101.11 %
maximize.gif Blackpool v Doncaster Rovers (20:00 BST) 1.75 3.8 5.4 101.98 %
maximize.gif Crystal Palace v Bristol City (20:00 BST) 2 3.6 4.33 100.85 %
maximize.gif Reading v Derby County (20:00 BST) 2 3.5 4.7 99.85 %
Wednesday 19 October 2011 Home Draw Away BPP
maximize.gif Leicester City v Watford (19:45 BST) 1.69 4 5.75 101.56 %

Re: Npower Football League Championship & League One» Oct 18/19 I like Palace, if Steve Wigley is still in charge of Bristol. Second to Les Reed of Charlton as the worst Premier League coach of all time, and their performance against Posh on Saturday sounded fairly underwhelming. Relegation favs Palace chasing the top six :loon

Re: Npower Football League Championship & League One» Oct 18/19 I really want to oppose Southampton tommorow but I've heard Tomkins and Matt Taylor might be out for West Ham. Are these guys crucial to the Hammers? They already have Bentley and O'Neil out, key question: is there adequate cover in the wide areas if Taylor is missing?

Re: Npower Football League Championship & League One» Oct 18/19

I really want to oppose Southampton tommorow but I've heard Tomkins and Matt Taylor might be out for West Ham. Are these guys crucial to the Hammers? They already have Bentley and O'Neil out' date=' key question: is there adequate cover in the wide areas if Taylor is missing?[/quote'] Regardless of injuries, i've got the opposite view to you and fancy backing Southampton. They are on a fantastic home run at the moment and have already beaten a couple of the bigger Championship teams easily enough at home (Birmingham and Leeds). West Ham will be the biggest test of the season and admittedly they've had some impressive results particularly away from home. It's 1st against 2nd in the table and both teams seem to be the class of the division (e.g. looking how far ahead they are of other teams with goal difference), so it's likely to be a close game. I wouldn't rule out any result, but I can't ignore the Saints home record, and at 2.25 I think they are better value than West Ham at around 3.3. Adam Lallana should also be back for Saints after missing the match against Derby, and he is their most important player.

Regardless of injuries, i've got the opposite view to you and fancy backing Southampton. They are on a fantastic home run at the moment and have already beaten a couple of the bigger Championship teams easily enough at home (Birmingham and Leeds). West Ham will be the biggest test of the season and admittedly they've had some impressive results particularly away from home. It's 1st against 2nd in the table and both teams seem to be the class of the division (e.g. looking how far ahead they are of other teams with goal difference), so it's likely to be a close game. I wouldn't rule out any result, but I can't ignore the Saints home record, and at 2.25 I think they are better value than West Ham at around 3.3. Adam Lallana should also be back for Saints after missing the match against Derby, and he is their most important player.
The Southampton issue was always going to be a contentious one and sooner or later it was a debate that was always going to erupt on the lounge. It seems the time for that debate is now. First off I agree entirely with you that we can't rule out any result with a 1st against 2nd match and ordinarily I would never go near such a fixture much like derby clashes and relegation 6 pointers. Southampton are a team high on confidence and play as one, they don't have any pressure on them and remind me of Norwich last season. However, the fixture list has been so kind to the Saints it's unreal and I do not expect them to remain top of the league for much longer. They are a top 6 side in my view but at 1st place they are simply punching above their weight as it stands. You mentioned Southampton's fantastic home run, indeed they have a 100% record at home thus far and reads: W5 D0 L0 F15 A4. Are Southampton going to win every single home match this season? no. More relevant, who have those 5 home victories come against? 1. Leeds Utd, first game of the season, Leeds are often poor away and were totally out of condition in that game and for the early part of the season. 2. Millwall, that well know travelling dynasty of the championship. 3. Forest, witless. 4. Birmingham, a patchwork transitional side that can only be described as inconsistent at best, size of club is totally irrelevant. Last but no means least is 5. Watford, wow! Southampton have played only 3 decent teams this season, or rather teams that should finish in the top 10 this season, they lost 2 and drew 1. If you can still get West Ham +0.50 @ 3/4 then for me that is the possible speculation to make in this match. It is however, dependant on the state of West Ham's injuries and missing personnel and again if a West Ham fan or anyone that knows about how West Ham setup could answer my original question that would be great. It's a really interesting game and often if someone has a clearly opposing view to mine on a particular match it can make me think twice about making a bet. There's a few question marks here for sure and it would be by no means an A class bet but I think West Ham can probably pick up at least a point tommorow.

Re: Npower Football League Championship & League One» Oct 18/19 The Southampton V West Ham, game is an interesting one. On one hand you have Southampton who haven't lost at home since December last year versus West Ham, who are unbneaten away. I wouldn't worry too much over the absentees for West Ham, as they have the best midfield in the league with plenty of cover. Although Southampton did well earlier in the season to beat Birmingham, Millwall and Forest, you'd expect West Ham to be a little tighter across the park and frustrate a lot more. I think they've generally been playing with a target man, and five across the middle, which I'd expect to see tomorrow. Especially as Carlton Cole returns. My money's on the draw, which is an appealing price @ 3.5 with StanJames.

I wouldn't worry too much over the absentees for West Ham' date=' as they have the best midfield in the league with plenty of cover.[/quote'] Yeh their midfield is really strong but I'm a bit concerned about the wide areas if Taylor is out. I think they might play Sears there if that is the case but I really don't know. They have Noble who is a great player IMO but I'm unsure if he plays wide, I think he may have been RM when he started his career.

The Southampton issue was always going to be a contentious one and sooner or later it was a debate that was always going to erupt on the lounge. It seems the time for that debate is now. First off I agree entirely with you that we can't rule out any result with a 1st against 2nd match and ordinarily I would never go near such a fixture much like derby clashes and relegation 6 pointers. Southampton are a team high on confidence and play as one, they don't have any pressure on them and remind me of Norwich last season. However, the fixture list has been so kind to the Saints it's unreal and I do not expect them to remain top of the league for much longer. They are a top 6 side in my view but at 1st place they are simply punching above their weight as it stands. You mentioned Southampton's fantastic home run, indeed they have a 100% record at home thus far and reads: W5 D0 L0 F15 A4. Are Southampton going to win every single home match this season? no. More relevant, who have those 5 home victories come against? 1. Leeds Utd, first game of the season, Leeds are often poor away and were totally out of condition in that game and for the early part of the season. 2. Millwall, that well know travelling dynasty of the championship. 3. Forest, witless. 4. Birmingham, a patchwork transitional side that can only be described as inconsistent at best, size of club is totally irrelevant. Last but no means least is 5. Watford, wow! Southampton have played only 3 decent teams this season, or rather teams that should finish in the top 10 this season, they lost 2 and drew 1. If you can still get West Ham +0.50 @ 3/4 then for me that is the possible speculation to make in this match. It is however, dependant on the state of West Ham's injuries and missing personnel and again if a West Ham fan or anyone that knows about how West Ham setup could answer my original question that would be great. It's a really interesting game and often if someone has a clearly opposing view to mine on a particular match it can make me think twice about making a bet. There's a few question marks here for sure and it would be by no means an A class bet but I think West Ham can probably pick up at least a point tommorow.
I've never said Saints 100% home record is going to stay all season. Indeed, I said this game is their biggest test of the season so far. I don't think you can totally dismiss the teams Saints have played as easily as that. They have played 4 teams currently in the top half, plus Leicester away who are currently 13th, and Birmingham who if they win their games in hand will be in the top half. So that's 6 of 11 matches against teams I would expect to be in the top half by the end of the season. Between us and Jase, we've made a case for any result in this match. I'm certainly not strongly suggesting that Saints are nailed on to win this one, just sharing my view that the value in the odds lie with the Saints over West Ham given their strong home form. I may take some draw cover as well as the teams do appear to be closely matched. For what it's worth, I think Southampton are capable of maintaining a place in the top 2 of the division. They score plenty of goals, are strong at home, and have the money to add to the squad depth if necessary. We've had a quarter of the season and the table is beginning to take shape, so to be top after 11 games (regardless of how easy you think the fixtures have been) can't be described as a fluke in my opinion. Anyway good luck if you go with West Ham:ok

Yeh their midfield is really strong but I'm a bit concerned about the wide areas if Taylor is out. I think they might play Sears there if that is the case but I really don't know. They have Noble who is a great player IMO but I'm unsure if he plays wide' date=' I think he may have been RM when he started his career.[/quote'] That could be another reason to back the draw then.... with a lack of natural wide players and five across midfield West Ham will more than likely play narrow. Yup, you can't really dismiss any side in the Championmship. Bar Doncaster, they're all pretty equal with varying strengths and weaknesses.

Re: Npower Football League Championship & League One» Oct 18/19 Crystal Palace V Bristol City On the surface this should be a walk in the park for Palace but this fixture has a little more to it than usual as there is a recent history of bad feeling between the clubs. Although that bad feeling maybe fading slightly with the depature of personnel on both sides it can still be a game that leaves a bad taste in the mouth. According to many including Darren Ferguson, Bristol City were better than the scoreline suggested at the weekend and perhaps deserved to take something from the game V Peterborough. I agree with Alexc that Wigley is not a football 'manager' and stuggles to cope with the tactical side of the game. He's essentially a coach but I'm sure Wigley himself will agree. He finds himself in the wretched position of trying to haul Bristol City from their slow demise and he will indeed still be incharge of 1st team affairs for the Palace game. Palace left-back Dean Moxey had flu at the weekend and missed the victory over Watford. He may return tommorow but if he doesn't Nathanial Clyne will cover at left-back and I don't see any great issues there. Apart from that Palace have virtually a fully fit squad to choose from. Bristol City have on-going injuries in the defensive area and will hope Wilson and McGivern can return for the Palace match. McGivern was on-loan at Palace earlier this season and the full back is a player I think has a lot of potential. Palace are available at 19/20 and technically speaking it seems fair value to me. A Palace win is on my shortlist for this midweek round but instinctively it's not a bet I am in love with as it seems just too easy to get all 3pts here and sometimes those games kick you in the balls. Having said that the facts suggest Palace are far superior to Bristol City in every department and should dispose of them. On paper for Palace not to win here Bristol City will need to play at the peak of their game, Wigley will have to have a solid strategy with every player clear on their rolls, a dose of good luck and hope that Palace have a bad night. Instinct tells me it wont be plain sailing for Palace, logic says we will crush City. If people want to back Palace here I would suggest low stakes because of this conflict. I certainly see no valid reason to oppose Palace in this fixture. Probable Palace lineup: Speroni, Ramage, Tunchev, McCarthy, Clyne, Zaha, Wright, Jedinak, Parr, Murray, Scannell If I had to bet on this match: Crystal Palace @ 19/20 (Betdaq)

Re: Npower Football League Championship & League One» Oct 18/19 Quite fancy us on a handicap up at Ipswich actually. Now that Steve Cotterill has gone we might play with a bit more freedom and we can only improve upon our last two away games. We are pretty much at full strength tomorrow, while Ipswich pair Jason Scotland and Michael Chopra were according to Paul Jewell looking very tired after the weekend draw with Cardiff. We were better in the second half against Barnsley at the weekend, but overall I thought it was a deserved win against an in form side. David Norris will also be coming up against his former club for the first time. To add as well, we were poor up at Hull and Leeds. Hull was a blip, and a game I expected us to take to them, but we took them on in the midst of a small mini patch of good form. Up at Leeds IMO it was a poor tactical decision from Cotterill as he went with one up front. The loan forward was Benjani who isn't really a target man, he's more of a workhorse. Hopefully we'll go with two strikers up at Ipswich :hope I can see changes being made though as this game comes only a couple of days after Barnsley, which was also a late kick off. Dave Kitson should come back into contention after returning against Barnsley.

I've never said Saints 100% home record is going to stay all season. Indeed, I said this game is their biggest test of the season so far. I don't think you can totally dismiss the teams Saints have played as easily as that. They have played 4 teams currently in the top half, plus Leicester away who are currently 13th, and Birmingham who if they win their games in hand will be in the top half. So that's 6 of 11 matches against teams I would expect to be in the top half by the end of the season. Between us and Jase, we've made a case for any result in this match. I'm certainly not strongly suggesting that Saints are nailed on to win this one, just sharing my view that the value in the odds lie with the Saints over West Ham given their strong home form. I may take some draw cover as well as the teams do appear to be closely matched. For what it's worth, I think Southampton are capable of maintaining a place in the top 2 of the division. They score plenty of goals, are strong at home, and have the money to add to the squad depth if necessary. We've had a quarter of the season and the table is beginning to take shape, so to be top after 11 games (regardless of how easy you think the fixtures have been) can't be described as a fluke in my opinion. Anyway good luck if you go with West Ham:ok
I know you weren't suggesting the 100% record would remain all season, I was just trying to point out they're gonna not win at some stage and you rightly pointed out West Ham is the toughest test so far. I think there is a difference of opinion on the strength of certain teams in the champ between you and I. Jase is making the case for the draw outright which in percentage terms I believe is the most likely outcome but I would take West Ham +0.50 to cover a hammers win as well as X. Both bets are reasonable here in my opinion it just depends on your individual betting structure. Southampton at 5/4 are just not value enough for me personally, I don't think they will make it 6 out of 6 at home here. You're right the table is beginning to take shape but I believe Southampton will not continue where they are for much longer because of the their up-comming fixtures. However, they have built up a lot of confidence because of the victories they have already acheived and this may help to prove you correct in the end. I can fully appreciate your view and I don't mean to sound arrogant when arguing against it. Like I said before counter views can help me decide whether to place bets so it's all good stuff. Thanks, as always I can do with a bit of luck.

Re: Npower Football League Championship & League One» Oct 18/19 I'll be shocked if we win away at Reading but i said that about Blackpool and Forest and look what happened. We are very unpredictable but the side is looking very thin at the moment, got smashed by Leicester in our last away game and was perhaps slightly fortunate to get a point on Saturday. Our only right back out injured and Anderson was supposedly poor filling in against Southampton. Davies out for 12 weeks, dont rate him at all anyway and dont see it as a major loss, hopefully forces Clough to bring someone in on loan. Saying that, our only other striker is Theo Robinson who is also sh*te, runs around a lot and is lightning quick so does have his uses but his ball control is embarassing. With our injuries i expect us to go there play 4-5-1 and look to take a point, we're usually defensive at the best of times away from home so tomorrow will be no exception.

Re: Npower Football League Championship & League One» Oct 18/19 Leeds win (-153) (superbook.com) Riding Leeds again here. The home form and overall form is outstanding right now. Ross McCormack is one of the hottest scorers in the league, he should be able to cause damage to Coventry. The defense which is often maligned has posted back to back shut outs and Leeds has recieved some high quality play out of Lees and O'Dea. Clayton, Pugh and Howson played well against Doncaster controlling possession, feeding the wings and letting them do the damage with their pace. Leeds has been outstanding, there is no reason the winning streak comes to a halt on Tuesday.

I can fully appreciate your view and I don't mean to sound arrogant when arguing against it. Like I said before counter views can help me decide whether to place bets so it's all good stuff. Thanks, as always I can do with a bit of luck.
That's cool- I respect your views on Palace and the Championship and you've made a good case so there's no arrogance in that. We'll see who gets the bragging rights on this one tomorrow night!

Re: Npower Football League Championship & League One» Oct 18/19 Crystal Palace @ 1.95 Betfair Those what we call ''obvious bets'' have been ruined me lately, but I will take my chances anyway here. I just don't see Bristol doing anything in away game here. Odds are actually pretty nice for a home win here imo. Was expecting something like 1.75-1.80. Das Phantom made very nice preview... agree with most of it.

Re: Npower Football League Championship & League One» Oct 18/19 Barnsley v Burnley - 0.25 @ 2.25 - BET365. Barnsley have had a tremendous run recently prior to their loss against us on Saturday, and were decent value for at least a draw in the first half. However, I can't see them maintaining that sort of level of performance, with seven unbeaten usually a decent run of form at this level. The loss on Saturday came at an even bigger price as both first choice defenders Bobby Hassell and Jay McEveley picked up injuries forcing them out of the game tomorrow night. Both players have been centre to Barnsley's recent show of form, and I think that sort of defensive disruption could prove crucial here. Burnley have already won twice away, their performances I feel have been better than their current position suggests, as they are level on twelve points with Barnsley.

Re: Npower Football League Championship & League One» Oct 18/19 Southampton V West Ham Utd West Ham Utd +0.50 @ 3/4 (Pinnacle) 2.5 Units Nothing to add really apart from I think the 4-0 victory over Blackpool at the weekend should give the Hammers a psychological boost and could be an important momment in their season. They will be put to the test against a strong Southampton side here but I am gonna back the Hammers not to loose this one with Southampton's 100% home record comming to an end. My money has to go where my mouth is but because of the nature of the game and all things considered I think 2.5 units is a cautious but sensible size for the punt here.

Event Crystal Palace - Bristol City
Selection Crystal Palace
Strength 10/10
Date 18/10/2011
Bookmaker/Price 188bet @ 1.97
Reasoning Crystal palace got another win last weekend at Watford by 2-0. They are now eighth placed and they seem to be improving as they got the first clean sheet of the last six games. they well deserved that win, being solid, fighting in all the field and playing good football. At the moment, Crystal palace is surprising and when everybody was expecting them to be at the bottom half of the table, they are fighting for a place in the play-off. Bristol City is without manager at the moment. After eleven games played we can say that Bristol City is making a awful start of season, being bottom placed at the moment. Only six points won so far, they are in a opposite moment than their rivals. They are coming from a home defeat against Peterborough, the third consecutive defeat, completing a sequence of nine games without a win. For sure their confidence is under zero at the moment.

Re: Npower Football League Championship & League One» Oct 18/19 Millwall v Brighton Both teams are in very poor form with two points each from the last twelve available. Poyets teams form has slid from the early season surge and they've had tougher fixtures of late, coming up well short against a resurgent Palace and losing a couple of others away against Leicester and Ipswich. They've been punching above their weight early on but Millwall have more to worry about. They've only won one this season and have scored only two in their last seven or eight games. Their sole win this season was against fellow strugglers Forest. They got a very respectable draw at Middlesboro last weekend. Both teams familiarity (from their time in League one) and desperation for points will make this a testy encounter, but I think Brighton have been a lot more competitive this season than the home side as their league positions show. I think this is a great price for a DNB and Brightons away results so far this season gives me hope they'll get something from this. Mackail-smith unsure to start. Brighton Draw no bet @ 2.49 Pinnacle

Re: Npower Football League Championship & League One» Oct 18/19 Crystal Palace v Bristol City=1 (1.90) bet365 stakes 5 / 10 Crystal Palace position 8° points 17 Bristol City position 24° points 6 Preview: Bristol City: in doubt: Ryan McGivern (defender 5 / 0), James Wilson (defender 9 / 0); Injured: Louis Carey (defender 2 / 0), Liam Fontaine (defender 1 / 0), Jamie McAllister (defender 5 / 0). The Crystal Palace has a score in-house w2-d2-l1 goals scored 7 goals against 5 while Bristol City has a score out of the house w1-d1-l3 goals scored 5 goals against 12. The Crystal Palace is in a good form, in the last three league games did record two victories in Brighton, Watford and a draw with West Ham. The Bristol City comes from three straight defeats with READING, BLACKPOOL, PETERBOROUGH experiencing the beauty of ten goals. At the start of this season are really disappointing and disastrous, especially in the defensive department, the last nine games have not won a single game. At the end of the period saw the most negative of the visiting team absences important defense in the department believe that the Crystal Palace to win the game. Earlier last season: 0-0 (Crystal Palace at home) and 1-1 (Bristol City at home). Bristol City in the last 9 has never won. A year ago, Crystal Palace was 23 in the standings with 8 points. Now it's 8 with 17 points. :hope:hope:hope

Re: Npower Football League Championship & League One» Oct 18/19 Notts Forest Vs Middlesbrough Boro are priced @ 13/8, am i missing something? Boro only unbeaten team left in the division and have the best away record of 4 wins and 1 draw so far. Forest on the other hand are yet to win at home and are on the back of 3 straight defeats. Overall i cant see Forest winning this game so will take either the draw @ 23/10 or boro win @ 13/8 would just like thoughts on which outcome is more likely to you fellow punters.

Re: Npower Football League Championship & League One» Oct 18/19 Peterborough v Cardiff - (Asian Total Corners) Over 11.5 @ 1.950 - Bet365 Corner Stats: Peterborough H: 10, 12, 16, 12, 12. Cardiff A: 16, 8, 15, 14, 12. The way these two teams go into a game will, for the majority of the time, produce a high corner count. Mark Little of Peterborough will bomb forward from his full back position to help out the winger in front of him...similarly to McNaughton of Cardiff who will do the same. Lee Tomlin also likes to drift out wide and make things happen. It's not a bet to go mad on but worth a bet with the attacking potential on both sides. Interesting stat; ''Cardiff have fired 82 shots on target in this Championship campaign; a total bettered only by Peterborough.''

Re: Npower Football League Championship & League One» Oct 18/19 Palace Took Palace Draw No Bet @ 1.40 in a double with Man City at odds of 1.86 at Betfred. Palace in good form, after losing to Doncaster they won at Brighton, held West Ham and beat Watford on Saturday. Home form is strong this season winning twice, drawing twice (Blackpool, West Ham) and only losing the once to Middlesbrough. As we know, Bristol are struggling at present and won't be aided any by having Steve Wigley in temporary charge, as I said earlier in the thread, a guy who has proven himself to be completely incompetent as a manager in the past.

EventNottingham - Middlesbrough
SelectionNottingham
Strength10/10
Date18/10/2011
Bookmaker/PriceBwin @ 2.70
ReasoningPoor poor Nottingham Forrest,they are sitting on the bottom of the league,just two points above the last Bristol City and still hunting for its first victory at their City Ground.Its the time for things to change.Steve Cotterill will take charge now,he is a good coach,a coach who can bring improvement.I think that this is exactly what they need,a tough match against hard opponent.Boro conceded their first goal in over 300 minutes of football against the Lions this week,they are coming here as 3rd ranked team with 4 draws in a row,in their 4th they were unable to beat Millwall (1:1),and what is most important they are only unbeaten team in league.There are no drastic changes in formations but this is what Forrest needs the victory over Boro,victory what will bring them moral and confidence.They have a good team,team that will be especially motivated for this match.I think that Boro is ready to fall tonight at City Ground. Nottingham Forrest to crush Boro.

I like Palace, if Steve Wigley is still in charge of Bristol. Second to Les Reed of Charlton as the worst Premier League coach of all time, and their performance against Posh on Saturday sounded fairly underwhelming. Relegation favs Palace chasing the top six :loon
I'd reconsider this if I were you. On another day we would have hammered Posh, just unlucky. Also if the papers are to be believed, our new manager Derek McInnes should be appointed tomorrow or Thursday, and it wouldn't surprise me if he is there tonight. The players will want to impress him. I'll be staying away from this game. We have a rivalry with Palace. In only the last few years, we've dumped them out of the play-offs, got away with that goal that never was, scored an equaliser live on Sky after too much injury time... the fixture often has the feeling of a derby to some fans. The more likely team to win is definitely Palarse but I'm not convinced enough to back them.

I'd reconsider this if I were you. On another day we would have hammered Posh, just unlucky. Also if the papers are to be believed, our new manager Derek McInnes should be appointed tomorrow or Thursday, and it wouldn't surprise me if he is there tonight. The players will want to impress him. I'll be staying away from this game. We have a rivalry with Palace. In only the last few years, we've dumped them out of the play-offs, got away with that goal that never was, scored an equaliser live on Sky after too much injury time... the fixture often has the feeling of a derby to some fans. The more likely team to win is definitely Palarse but I'm not convinced enough to back them.
Problem is you've been unlucky all season, which is why you are where you are. And Steve Wigley will still be in charge, and is a clown. The Draw No Bet offers the safety net of a draw, so I'm satisfied with my pick.