The Jockey Thread

Re: The Jockey Thread

I'd never really considered it as a possible dodgy race, never checked market moves but don't remember anything significant on course. I know some jockeys might go off a bit too fast or start their run slightly too late but this was ridiculous. The commentator had also picked up on it and mentioned it being 2 races in one. The excuses given to the stewards are an absolute joke. I can accept backing a horse that isn't good enough and making mistakes, what I can't stand is when it's never even put in the race due to horrendous errors like this. They are quick to criticise "armchair jockeys" and ask "how many winners have you ridden" but not so quick to put their hands up and admit a complete balls up. The first and last few pages of this thread are very different. I have highlighted good jockeys, potential in claimers and good rides but some only offer moans and whinges (not aimed at you by the way) and nothing constructive or positive. With regards the rule 4 stuff I agree wholeheartedly that it's theft and needs to be looked into and would always support that.
Sorry M - just seen this - appreciate your thoughts. With Regards to Mr Frank Spencer and Jimmies post above - I've been sat on my hands all afternoon with regards to this ride.... 3 other runners and he manages to find interferecne with 2 of them and once in the clear appears to deem it too much effort to wave the stick about and at least give the impression he has done his best..... His mount was backed in from 10/11 to 1/2..... Hideous, arrogant ride and Spencer at his worse. :sad:sad

Sorry M - just seen this - appreciate your thoughts. With Regards to Mr Frank Spencer and Jimmies post above - I've been sat on my hands all afternoon with regards to this ride.... 3 other runners and he manages to find interferecne with 2 of them and once in the clear appears to deem it too much effort to wave the stick about and at least give the impression he has done his best..... His mount was backed in from 10/11 to 1/2..... Hideous, arrogant ride and Spencer at his worse. :sad:sad
M8 ive just put it up on the other, the impression was he was being backed, but on the off on the exchange he was 1.86..went to evens in matter of yards.. CHEATING OF THE HIGHEST...Were are the indian racegoers when you need them.

M8 ive just put it up on the other, the impression was he was being backed, but on the off on the exchange he was 1.86..went to evens in matter of yards.. CHEATING OF THE HIGHEST...Were are the indian racegoers when you need them.
U must have quicker software than me as I didn't see any drift that alarming - alarm bells did ring however, as to my eye I saw the horse around the 1.5 mark from 2.02 before returning a Betfair SP of 1.73. I didn't get the impression this one was 'dodgy' but obviously did note he didn't pick his whip up at all. I'll have another watch. AW maidens with 6 or fewer runners return 10% ROI over the last 10 years if you can get Evens or above on the fav so if they have chosen this race to pull a fast one then they have chosen well!!! See You Next Tuesday either way round!! ;) I'll have another watch! I dunno.... If that was cheating then it is genuinly the 'best' bit of cheatign I have ever seen. Am prepared to take on board what you say but I think I'll just put that oen down to him being a dick!!! :@

Re: The Jockey Thread FFS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! David Probert u are a disgrace!!!!!!!!! Massive swing considering I was on above 3.0. Utter, utter incompetence. 200 Lingfield :( I'd say it was, 'one of those things' but it's not - it's utter incompetence and not accpetable. If that was a normal job it would be considered gross miscounduct and he'd be sacked... FUMING!!!!!!!!!!!! :wall

Re: The Jockey Thread I had no investment....BUT Y Y Y Y Do they do it...? That is GROSS misconduct, and UNLESS the BHA say have 3 months off....No one will ever learn, that is very sad for all who backed it all morning and all day, Yes I know he made a mistake, but he is a proffesional. That is the worst ive seen for some time.:puke

I had no investment....BUT Y Y Y Y Do they do it...? That is GROSS misconduct, and UNLESS the BHA say have 3 months off....No one will ever learn, that is very sad for all who backed it all morning and all day, Yes I know he made a mistake, but he is a proffesional. That is the worst ive seen for some time.:puke
28 DAY BAN!....3 MONTHS WOULD HAVE BEEN BETTER IMO..

28 DAY BAN!....3 MONTHS WOULD HAVE BEEN BETTER IMO..
It's my fault for getting involved!! Am livid!! 28 days or 3 months, Betfair won't be refunding my stake and neither will Mr Probert!!! Arrrrrgggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I don't have the words!!! :(

It's my fault for getting involved!! Am livid!! 28 days or 3 months' date=' Betfair won't be refunding my stake and neither will Mr Probert!!! Arrrrrgggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I don't have the words!!! :([/quote'] NO M8....cant say anything to make you feel better...Feel for you...Probably the way i felt at the same place...when I had 3k on ballindger ridge..another dark day in racing!

NO M8....cant say anything to make you feel better...Feel for you...Probably the way i felt at the same place...when I had 3k on ballindger ridge..another dark day in racing!
Cheers Prime - appreciate the sentiment. Just been quoted on Timeform Radio!! James Wickett Email!! Funny!!! Ha ha!!

Re: The Jockey Thread Yep that must be infuriating. Wasn't like he was trying to protect a handicap mark etc. Was a seller and he wasn't winning impressively anyway. Feel for those who backed him. I'm sure Probert (who I like) will feel so small right now but that means nothing to the lads and lasses who parted with their cash.

Re: The Jockey Thread Utterly disgraceful from Probert and if id had serious wedge on him id have been going looking for him at the track he rides at closest to me next time and asking him to get his hand in the pocket. Im not even kidding, id be livid. Never happened to me, the closest i've come is in the king george a few years back when (iirc) Robbie Power mistook the finishing line and ended up getting chinned.

Coming down from 28 Days Later RAGE, I wonder what would be sufficient to stop this from happening?? Anyone have any ideas? It's gambling at the end of the day but I do think that Jocks should display a level of competence - especially when there with a winning chance... U shouldn't have to take this sort of thing into account or you'd never have a bet!!! 28 days clearly isn't enough because it keeps happening... This may have already happened but what would help the sport and mildly defuse some anger is if the Jockey made a very public apology - this hasn't happened in the past and I very much hope it does this time.

I just heard Gary Hind is retiring, he recently received a year long ban for not trying on a horse in Malaysia, which prompted his decision. In the 90s he was a prolific rider of Sheikh Mohammed's horses and even won a Gr1 Racing Post Trophy for Godolphin when they began to train 2YOs. It would be great to see similar penalties given here for similar offences, we'd see some lazy but brilliant jockeys try more often even when the chance of a win has gone. Wasn't G Carter given a 3 year sentence for a similar offence in a similar part of the world?
Saint would you welcome these sorts of penalties ?

Great to see the return of Slade O'hara' date=' a competent jockey. The last time we saw him was probably about 2/3 years ago, wasn't he trapped in Japan after a natural disaster and couldn't leave? Anyone know if had overseas success?[/quote'] Great to see Slade have another winner yesterday for competant trainer P Grayson

Saint would you welcome these sorts of penalties ?
[ATTACH]4349[/ATTACH] I think my knee jerk reaction is that I would like to see that kind of penalties but in the UK where the weak are largely protected and you pretty much have to be Osama Bin Laden to risk a 'verbal warning' I don't think it will ever happen. There's been a very interesting discussion on Timeform Radio all afternoon and once everyone had calmed down an intelligent opinion seems to be that this sort of thing keeps happening because Stewards are not doing their job on a daily basis. There is a Rule in place that states that all horses should be ridden out if they are in the first 5 - obviously this doesn't happen in many races and if you are going to have a rule then the Stewards need to enforce it. If they did their job on daily basis and handed out bans then this wouldn't happen at all. Apparently the ban will cost Probert a months wages which is circa 50k. It is gonna cost him but I can only have so much sympathy - it's 1/12th of a massive yearly income. Just had other email read out calling for a public apology - no idea who the presenter is but he's very even handed and very good! He agreed with me! ;)

post-378-14429285086195_thumb.jpg

[ATTACH]4349[/ATTACH] I think my knee jerk reaction is that I would like to see that kind of penalties but in the UK where the weak are largely protected and you pretty much have to be Osama Bin Laden to risk a 'verbal warning' I don't think it will ever happen. There's been a very interesting discussion on Timeform Radio all afternoon and once everyone had calmed down an intelligent opinion seems to be that this sort of thing keeps happening because Stewards are not doing their job on a daily basis. There is a Rule in place that states that all horses should be ridden out if they are in the first 5 - obviously this doesn't happen in many races and if you are going to have a rule then the Stewards need to enforce it. If they did their job on daily basis and handed out bans then this wouldn't happen at all. Apparently the ban will cost Probert a months wages which is circa 50k. It is gonna cost him but I can only have so much sympathy - it's 1/12th of a massive yearly income. Just had other email read out calling for a public apology - no idea who the presenter is but he's very even handed and very good! He agreed with me! ;)
Dave Probert is earning about 50k a month? Are these sorts of jockey really on that sort of doe? Im shocked if they are. I do feel for people who've backed Paphos but how often do these things happen? Im not as clued up as others, but what, 5 or so times a year? I think a more sensible approach would be to ban the jockeys specifically. For example, if this was Proberts first offence of this nature than 28 days seems acceptable. If it's a second offence, give him 2 months and so on. I feel a degree of sympathy for him as it's an honest mistake, a very f*cking stupid one where he shouldnt be able to sleep tonight with the amount of money he's cost people, but a mistake never the less. I have far more anger towards jockeys riding blatant non triers held out the back and never even put in the race.

May I add, Probert was not cheating today, he was just very amature..
I'm glad u said that because there are plenty of idiots claiming that he did it on purpose!!! Makes a mockery of anything constructive that might be said. Up until the point he completely bolloxed it up he actually ride the perfect race!! Another interesting point - Black Caviar almost lost at Royal Ascot because the jockey eased up. Why was nothing done by the Stewards then? Just because the horse won - the crime was still the same. Hand out bans for that sort of thing and it stops - simples! As per usual, Stewards need to apply their own bl rules. Whole culture of winning cheekily has to stop.... :(

Re: The Jockey Thread Saint, not seen the race yet but agree its happening too many times nowadays. Agree about the Black Caviar thing too, just because they get lucky they should still be punished if its obviously a blatant bad ride! Unlucky mate.

I've just seen a replay of the race in question and in the final straight you can see Probert looks over his right shoulder and thinks he's got the race wrapped up but fails to check his left, where the danger is waiting. A poor judgement but he shouldn't be vilified for human error, stupid as it was! Let's just be glad we don't live in India!

I've just seen a replay of the race in question and in the final straight you can see Probert looks over his right shoulder and thinks he's got the race wrapped up but fails to check his left, where the danger is waiting. A poor judgement but he shouldn't be vilified for human error, stupid as it was! Let's just be glad we don't live in India!
I agree he shouldn't be hung, drawn and quartered Jay. Some idiots are calling for him to be jailed which makes subsequent discussion a mockery.... I note he is quoted in tomorrows Racing Post - "it's a mistake - I will just have to make sure I never do anything like that again" Here's some free advice David - you're a great jockey and in the main I admire your skills and horsemanship. MANNERS cost nothing though!! How about using the word SORRY somewhere in a sentence. Does it go without saying that he's sorry?? No - in my opinion it needs to be said. Would go a long, long way to making me feel better about the whole thing! Sheer ignorance :(

Re: The Jockey Thread The AW jocks who have put in a shift all winter must be completely demorilised when Mr Richard Hughes pops back from his holidays and rides 4 winners from 7. Different Class. Personally, I appreciated the great effort in the Maiden but not so much on the 'laid' Linkable where he rode the other idiots to sleep!! There! Something Positive from me in the Jockey Thread!!!!! I need to go and sit down.:cigar