** April Poker League Result : 1st Like2Fish, 2nd McG, 3rd andybell666 **

The Jockey Thread

Re: The Jockey Thread I've heard that Paddy Merrigan is making another comeback after a few self imposed sabbaticals.For those who cannot remember him he was the kid who fell off Special Envoy when a few lengths clear at the last in the lucrative Haydock fixed brush hurdle on TV a few years back and then went bananas slamming his helmut into the ground. Unlike other jockeys who make comebacks later in life like Newman , Hide and Dineley , Paddy is still young enough to make an impact should he retain all his previous ability.

Re: The Jockey Thread The cat is probably out of the bag already given his prolific start but Eoin Walsh claming 7lbs looks a jockey to keep onside. 2 from 4 as I type in the UK on the AW, he can definatly ride. Unlike many claimers, he appears to be able to encourage a horse without having to have both hands on the reins - ie. he can use the whip and push the horse forward at the same time. Has already been witnessed going through a gap and was in no way going to bullied by the senior jocks in his most recent run on the AW today - 1340 Wolves. Well worth keeping onside imho and one where I might actually take his claim into account as opposed to ignoring it. Why are all the best Jocks Irish?!

Re: The Jockey Thread

The cat is probably out of the bag already given his prolific start but Eoin Walsh claming 7lbs looks a jockey to keep onside. 2 from 4 as I type in the UK on the AW, he can definatly ride. Unlike many claimers, he appears to be able to encourage a horse without having to have both hands on the reins - ie. he can use the whip and push the horse forward at the same time. Has already been witnessed going through a gap and was in no way going to bullied by the senior jocks in his most recent run on the AW today - 1340 Wolves. Well worth keeping onside imho and one where I might actually take his claim into account as opposed to ignoring it. Why are all the best Jocks Irish?!
Wondered who the hell this kid was, as I liked Jack Who's He at Wolvers in the 4.20 today. Laddies went 14/1 and it is as short as 4/1. Last race at Kempton has thrown up a winner in Robin Hoods Bay and Rakaan would have won had George Baker not screwed it over at Kempton last week. He, too, has been dropped 2lb and is down in grade today. Didnt realise the kid was any cop, but now you point it out Saint, Ill have him in a few doubles. Cant justify going in at the current win price as a single.

Wondered who the hell this kid was, as I liked Jack Who's He at Wolvers in the 4.20 today. Laddies went 14/1 and it is as short as 4/1. Last race at Kempton has thrown up a winner in Robin Hoods Bay and Rakaan would have won had George Baker not screwed it over at Kempton last week. He, too, has been dropped 2lb and is down in grade today. Didnt realise the kid was any cop, but now you point it out Saint, Ill have him in a few doubles. Cant justify going in at the current win price as a single.
GL m8 - appreciate 4 is a small sample but I've not seen him put a foot wrong thus far - famous last words!

Re: The Jockey Thread I tell you what jockey is f*cking useless, Simon Pearce, i feel like joining twitter and tracking him down just to tell him how f*cking thick he is. Part of me thinks they're probably holding Hatta Stream back, as his best form has been when ridden close to the pace and he's been held up twice so far this all weather season. But today, Hatta Stream was right next to The Strig throughout the race, William Carson waits a bit and goes through the field as it's not really difficult to get a run at Lingfield this season as nothing really stays to the far side rail. Simon Pearce decides to go the longest possible way round on the bend, he's practically on the jumps course. Did he really think that was the best thing to do? He's run about a furlong extra than everything else.

C'mon, he's an apprentice! If you thought he was a ****e jockey before, why bet on him again?
Dont buy that argument, he's had about 700 career rides over a 6 year span, if he hasnt learnt yet he's never going to learn. On your second point, you're dead right, fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me.

I checked the BHA site to clarify in my own mind the rules on apprentices/conditionals after seeing Pearce ride. Not relevant in this case, but saw this:

(Conditional Jockeys with fewer than 5 wins can also claim an extra 3lbs when riding for their own stable.)
which I wasn't aware of. A ten pound claim on a real potential star is massive.

Re: The Jockey Thread I think the minimum weight for flat jockeys is far too low even at 8st. It wasn't too long ago that it used to be 7st 7lb which was absolutely ridiculous. It prevents many people from choosing this career path because I'm sure the typical average weight of an adult is way above 8st.I'm just your typical middle aged chubby balding guy of average height but whenever I get close to them it amazes me how the vast majority of them are like midgets. Look at Young Joseph he must be 2st underweight, I'm sure that must be doing some long term damage. Why not increase it to 8 and a half stone and increase the maximum to closer to 11 stone? They do it for amateurs, why not professionals?

Leona Mayor is complaining that it's hard enough to get rides as it is- I wonder how many jockeys, especially apprentices and younger conditionals, are using weight as a selling point: she makes it sound like its the be all and end all for her. They are like midgets- it would be interesting to see health stats for retired jockeys v the general population.

Re: The Jockey Thread I don't follow Irish racing much except for the prestigious races and not familiar with the jockeys or trainers much but a quick glance at Davy Russells results in the last 14 days shows he has won 12 races from 28 rides , quite impressive. He has come on a lot since quitting the Ferdy Murphy stable.

I don't follow Irish racing much except for the prestigious races and not familiar with the jockeys or trainers much but a quick glance at Davy Russells results in the last 14 days shows he has won 12 races from 28 rides ' date=' quite impressive. He has come on a lot since quitting the Ferdy Murphy stable.[/quote'] Best jumps jockey in Ireland in my opinion, every bit as good as Ruby for me, difference is Ruby rides classier horses.

I think the minimum weight for flat jockeys is far too low even at 8st. It wasn't too long ago that it used to be 7st 7lb which was absolutely ridiculous. It prevents many people from choosing this career path because I'm sure the typical average weight of an adult is way above 8st.I'm just your typical middle aged chubby balding guy of average height but whenever I get close to them it amazes me how the vast majority of them are like midgets. Look at Young Joseph he must be 2st underweight, I'm sure that must be doing some long term damage. Why not increase it to 8 and a half stone and increase the maximum to closer to 11 stone? They do it for amateurs, why not professionals?
More so for taller jockeys like Joseph and Richard Hughes. It can't be normal for a fully grown man to only weight so much and this low weight influences them to use diuretics and alcohol to keep their weight down. How many of them do we see are not allowed to ride due to failing a breath test, including Michael Hills only a few weeks ago? When I read Frankie's book I thought it is no sort of life really despite any glitz and glamour, up at the crack of dawn to ride out, slice of dry toast, car to the races, over to an all weather evening meeting and then home, bed and do it all over again the next day. They can't see their families much, I bet a few are glad of a suspension now and again.
I don't follow Irish racing much except for the prestigious races and not familiar with the jockeys or trainers much but a quick glance at Davy Russells results in the last 14 days shows he has won 12 races from 28 rides ' date=' quite impressive. He has come on a lot since quitting the Ferdy Murphy stable.[/quote'] I think he had a treble yesterday. I know he was on the first 2 winners as he was on one that beat mine in the 2nd race. As a side note to that Staying Article was awful. I really fancied it and it was dreadful. I don't think it was down to a 5lb penalty, its technique over hurdles looked awful, kept losing momentum as it went over them and just looked unnatural and awkward over so many of them. One to avoid for me in future rather than the potential graded horse I thought it was before the race. I was admiring Barry Geraghty's ride on Bobs Worth, he said it doesn't do much in front so he had to bide his time, let it get into the race, he went the shortest way round and jumped well. I think I'd rather have him on one I'm backing than Ruby or McCoy.

Re: The Jockey Thread Anyone see the 1.35pm from Fairyhouse? Ruby Walsh kicked his mount Avrika Ligeionniere clear and seemed to catch the other jockeys napping. I think they had made the assumption that the horse would come back to them but when the penny dropped Davy Russell stoked up his mount for a run but it was too late. I'm not sure if it was a great ride from Ruby or just awful rides from the rest of the field.

3:25 Apprentice race. Jordan Vaughn (using the whip twice) being given a lovely tactical ride by Storm Runner' date=' although not being aware of fast approaching Eoin Walsh on Honey Of A Kitten, who overtakes the fav and wins by 1.5 lengths. Both claim 7.[/quote'] Seemingly a good ride on Storm Runner, just unlucky,he did little wrong ,just unlucky. His trainer G Margerson,a master of handbraking as I have said many times in the past must have done his money in on this race,cos the money was down.

Are you implying with the hand braking tag that he didn't want to win? But you're saying the money was down? I'm not saying there was anything wrong with the race' date=' just poor jockey awareness.[/quote'] The handbrake was off and the money was down, just unfortunate about the finish, jockey did as instructed. G Margerson is a very competent trainer who uses full advantage of handbraking techniques, Atavus and Young Mick are prime examples of his skill.You cannot make money from his horses based on form alone as the public are led down the wrong path on occasions, you need the nod.

Are you implying with the hand braking tag that he didn't want to win? But you're saying the money was down? I'm not saying there was anything wrong with the race' date=' just poor jockey awareness.[/quote'] Jay, what's happened to GeorgeCostanza? Not seen his tips in a while.

Re: The Jockey Thread Laying the blame at Mr Fehily's door in the 1.20 Musselburgh aboard Hazy Tom. Overcame an early blunder to be cruised into the lead, with what looked like plenty of horse under him. Remained motionless until clearing the last, before forgetting how quick the run home is and having to start giving it hell. In my opinion, gave the horse no time to respond to his urging, should have got to work a half furlong sooner. On the flip side, fair play Jason Maguire for the execution of his ride. Not his biggest fan, but did well to capitalise.