** April Poker League Result : 1st Like2Fish, 2nd McG, 3rd andybell666 **

The Jockey Thread

Re: The Jockey Thread

So it's not his fault that's where the horse was?
He was drawn low and unfortunately nine other horses in the race. Don't think Hughes is responsible for the draw and the numbers of horses in the race. But I might be wrong and he has more influence than I thought he has. Seriously, I can understand if people are frustrated after a race like this. I'm frustrated myself but it's too easy to blame the jockey. Sometimes things have to be accepted. Things like that happen in racing and there was no chance switching to the outside.

Re: The Jockey Thread Why would there have been no chance on the outside? I don't mean a switch half a furlong out, but a plan from the gate to stay outta trouble. How much did that horse have in hand today? I could name a handful of jockies who would've won that, by not being in that position. Regarding the infuence he has, well I'm pretty sure he directs, drives, pilots the horse he sits on, are you telling me the draw beat it? Not a mission. It was a bad ride.

Am sorry if this is blunt.... Rebecca Romero is a complete dodge pot. Has to be ridden in this way. I have a vague connection with one of the owners and he's confirmed that he has to be ridden held up. When she wins, it always looks cosy. Haven't looked but I am willing to bet a fair amount of money that this horse will have traded under 3.0 on many, many occasions without winning. Complete rogue - many jocks been outfoxed by her... Not seen the race to be fair so possibly shouldn't comment. Notoriously difficult animal tho.

Am sorry if this is blunt.... Rebecca Romero is a complete dodge pot. Has to be ridden in this way. I have a vague connection with one of the owners and he's confirmed that he has to be ridden held up. When she wins, it always looks cosy. Haven't looked but I am willing to bet a fair amount of money that this horse will have traded under 3.0 on many, many occasions without winning. Complete rogue - many jocks been outfoxed by her... Not seen the race to be fair so possibly shouldn't comment. Notoriously difficult animal tho.
Yep, didnt want to sh*t on peoples selections but The Saint just has for me, Robecca Romero always seems to travel well but doesnt always find a great deal. Reminds me of Dancing Freddy and Your Gifted, wouldnt be surprised if she won off a mark in the high 80's, but will make you wana rip your hair out getting there.

Why would there have been no chance on the outside? I don't mean a switch half a furlong out' date= but a plan from the gate to stay outta trouble.
Drawn in stall 2, in a 10 runners field... we're speaking about a 5f race where the pace is early on, not about a 2 miles race where you easily could drop back and switch to the outside without being in trouble to loose many lengths and the horse its rhythm. There was no chance to do anything better in my mind anyway. The gaps didn't open in the closing stages. That's racing. Anyway, everyone is entitled to his opinion of course. I'm frustrated to lost a fair bit amount of money on this horse today but wouldn't blame the jockey for it and that has nothing to do with the name of him... could be everyone, Hughes or a 7lb claimer. Wouldn't change anything for me. If I bet on horse racing I have to take and accept these things. It's really that simple for me.

• 4 weeks later...

erhabb1965 will probably hammer Hughes for his ride in the 4:40 lol Joking fella' date= just jokes.
I have to take my hat off to R Hughes , he made a tremendous effort today. I read that he is only the second jockey ever to ride a seven timer in one day after L Dettori. Didn't multpliple Group 1 winning jockey Willie Carson have 7 winners in one day too , I think it could be 3 jockeys not 2. Can any of the professionals on here confirm this , I can't remember any details except it was a northern track , maybe it was 6 winners in a single day , I have a feeling its 7.

Re: The Jockey Thread Wiki;

Willie Carson's best season as a jockey came in 1990 when he rode 187 winners. This included riding six winners at Newcastle Racecourse on 30 June, making Carson one of only four jockeys to ride six winners at one meeting during the 20th century. However, he only came second in the 1990 jockeys' championship to Pat Eddery (who rode 209 winners).[/QUOTE]

Re: The Jockey Thread I think Hughes will continue to bang in the winners right up until the end if the season but I can't believe he will go down in history alongside Dettori for his 7 winners on a crappy end of season card at Windsor. It's like comparing Man Utd's treble to a local Sunday league teams treble. Well it is for me anyway... Great achievement to bang in 7 winners but no comparison to Frankies 7 at Ascot

Re: The Jockey Thread He was also helped by Moore giving up one of his rides to him later on the card which takes some of the gloss off it for me, its almost like all of the other riders just let him have his place in the history books. Fair play to him, a great days work, but I agree with Cpo, still not comparable to what Frankie achieved.

Re: The Jockey Thread 7 winners is 7 winners guys. Both jockeys were on the right horses on the right day. If anything, Frankie was riding far better horses the day he got 7 winners. Not fair to say Frankie's was better than Hughesies 7, there is no logic to that.

Re: The Jockey Thread Maybe was a bit harsh. I just really dislike Hughes as he's arrogant, over confident, and overrated. In other jockey news, anyone else seen Tadgh O'Shea will not be offered another retainer and has been replaced by Dane O'Neill? Michael Hills is to retire at the end of the season (not before time). Frankie also seems to be getting fewer and fewer rides for Godolphin since taking the ride on Camelot in the Arc.

Maybe was a bit harsh. I just really dislike Hughes as he's arrogant, over confident, and overrated. I dislike him too for not putting in 100% in all the time although I fully understand your views about him. In other jockey news, anyone else seen Tadgh O'Shea will not be offered another retainer and has been replaced by Dane O'Neill? Fantastic news , D O'Neill is a fantastic jockey , its surprising its taken all these years to get a high profile job. Michael Hills is to retire at the end of the season (not before time). Another multiple Group 1 winning jockey to retire in recent times , what a great loss to the sport . Having lost Eddery , Carson , Roberts , R Hills , Kinane in recent years , the remaining top jockeys are reaching their 40s and 50s , whos gonna replace Holland , Dettori , Fallon , Murtagh ? Ryan Moore and W Buick have bright futures ahead of them but what about the rest ? I'm sure a lot of pros on here will agree that the current crop of jockeys are pretty moderate. Frankie also seems to be getting fewer and fewer rides for Godolphin since taking the ride on Camelot in the Arc. To me he's deliberatly wanting to get out of his retainer , 7/4 says he won't be Godolphin No 1 next season.