** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

The Jockey Thread

Re: The Jockey Thread It's just so unnecessary, ride out to the line, such a needless error to make. Dont believe for a second there's anything dodgy about it, if you were meant to get something beaten why the f*ck would you go 3 lengths clear, ease down and get nabbed on the line? There's much easier ways to get a horse beaten.

Nolan just ran out of petrol. ;) He was trying to be cheeky from what I saw rather than trying to throw the race but he got caught in the last strides. It was clear he had stopped riding and when it's that obvious he is always going to get a ban if he gets caught out' date=' couldn't time it to perfection to just get done by a neck surely? I try my best to avoid lower class racing, class 3 and above is so much more consistent. If there is skullduggery it seems to be at a lower level unless anyone knows that Dawn Approach was nobbled before the Derby. :) Have you seen the Ripon race from tonight then? They kept replaying it, punters going mad and saying 10 days isn't enough.[/quote'] Not seen the race as yet.... Just recall getting done by a Probert ride a few months ago that sounds similar. Don't esp agree, but at the time people were suggesting a 6 month as opposed to a 10 day ban would cut it out overnight... Since Probert an apprentice ballsed one up and now this!! Not saying its bent - I kno that winds people on here up - just complete incompetence at best. Is that any better though?!?

Re: The Jockey Thread

Not seen the race as yet.... Just recall getting done by a Probert ride a few months ago that sounds similar. Don't esp agree, but at the time people were suggesting a 6 month as opposed to a 10 day ban would cut it out overnight... Since Probert an apprentice ballsed one up and now this!! Not saying its bent - I kno that winds people on here up - just complete incompetence at best. Is that any better though?!?
It's stupidity really isn't it. If he had just pushed it out to the line and won we wouldn't be discussing it but he's tried to be clever on it, whether that is to look good or protect a handicap mark and that's worse for me than a genuine mistake like getting the winning post wrong, also at Ripon the other week when Eva Muscrop eased up and got done late on. They should hit them hard for this type of stupidity to make them ride out to the line, looks really bad on racing and must surely annoy trainer, owners too.

Re: The Jockey Thread Ive given a break on this dross, between Epsom and Ascot, and looking at yesterdays antics....A blown tyre=Mccoy and a full blown gamble....That one aint be used before has it?...LOL...We may as well not have jockey bookings declared until and hour before the race,,I know that cant happen,,but that was a piss take.. And the dropping of the hands at Ripon, well 10 days is becoming a joke, 3 month ban, min...and i very much doubt you would ever see it again on these shores,,,some huge presedent has to be set before that un professionalism stops... Anyhow see more dross is served up today apart from a meeting at Sandown...Worcester summer jumping, THE WORST OF ALL... GL punters roll on RA. :notworthy

Great to see very competent jockey Dane O'Neil ride 4 winners at Newmarket' date=' great to see him get some recognition of his abilities by landing the Hamdan job.[/quote'] What an extremely competent jockey. From 6 rides at Beverly, 5 winners and a second. I've always liked Dane O'Neil

Ive given a break on this dross, between Epsom and Ascot, and looking at yesterdays antics....A blown tyre=Mccoy and a full blown gamble....That one aint be used before has it?...LOL...We may as well not have jockey bookings declared until and hour before the race,,I know that cant happen,,but that was a piss take..
Blown tyre..........unoriginal as Primeval says. A few years back D Thomas and her conditional jockey used that excuse too with a horse called I am Blue , multiple Gr1 winning jockey R Johnson happened to be available and was backed from 25/1 to 5/1 and duly won. She claimed later that shedidnt know where the money came from, just like Jim Best with AP McCoy last week. In both instances the horses had dreadful form yet the money was spot on. I don't mind trainers and connections landing a gamble, if they foil my personal selections then I take my hat off to them, however it does annoy me when interviewed by the media and they claim to have no knowledge of the gamble. The trainer has to give the go ahead for the connections to put their money down so why not admit it and say something like "....yes we screwed the bookies over...."

Re: The Jockey Thread yesterdays 8.10 Uttoxeter, runner to Planetoid, Tom Wade was travelling like a dream for the final 3 furlongs, sitting a length off McCoy. Jumping the last jockey Ben Poste found nil and was beaten 6 lengths. I've never ridden a racehorse, but if you can travel like a dream for 3 furlongs a length behind the leader, isn't it possible to travel like a dream for the final 3 furlongs 10 lengths in front of the leader and win? I used to wonder the same about a horse called Danegold a few years back. Upon leaving the stalls it would be deliberately last to leave and be held up 20 lengths off the second last horse , it needed a mile of stoking before it actually got going, surprisingly it won about 20 races. Had it raced 2 lengths off the second last horse and not 20 lengths, could he have won more races ? He was placed tons of times only beaten a few lengths.

Re: The Jockey Thread 2.40 @ Sandown. Richard Hughes on The Alamo. I'm not pocket talking and it could just be my eyes but does anyone else think he stops riding one the horse goes into 5th to protect any future mark? The horse gets outpaced around 2f's out but runs Hughesie switches to the outside and the horse picks up quite strongly but it appears to me that he could get a lot closer to the 3rd and 4th horse. No doubting it would not have got 1st or 2nd. I'm a Hughes fan so it's not a witchhunt or anything just interested in other opinions?

Re: The Jockey Thread Doing some research and I'm not sure if this is actually genuine or not, but it seems when Hughes and Hannon have teamed up on favs since 2012, their SR is 48%! Up until June 14th there were 79 wins in 164 rides and ROI is 10%. Just seems unusally high and if true is definitely an angle that we can profit from considering average fav wins is roughly 33%. The pair team up with forecast fav, Professor in the listed 4:00 at Salisbury, today. SR increases to 57% in listed events, although sample size is just 14 runs.

Doing some research and I'm not sure if this is actually genuine or not, but it seems when Hughes and Hannon have teamed up on favs since 2012, their SR is 48%! Up until June 14th there were 79 wins in 164 rides and ROI is 10%. Just seems unusally high and if true is definitely an angle that we can profit from considering average fav wins is roughly 33%. The pair team up with forecast fav, Professor in the listed 4:00 at Salisbury, today. SR increases to 57% in listed events, although sample size is just 14 runs.
Lovely stuff Jay but if horseracebase is ever down, I think fingers should be pointed at your good self!! GL with it.

Re: The Jockey Thread Be careful on that Jay, Hannon/Hughes record with 2yo's over last 5 years 211-781, 27% +79.34, but with 3yo's 119-741, 16%, -92.94. I know you said favourites, but I have a feeling those stats would largely be 2 year old winners. Having said that, I do think Professor has the best chance in the race today.

Re: The Jockey Thread Just to expand on Jay's post Stats for Richard Hannon/Richard Hughes when clear favourite at Salisury since 1997 (used Proform). ALL Runners - 87 Winners - 43 SR - 49.43% P/L to SP - +19.04pts P/L to BFSP - +23.9pts 2yo's Runners - 49 Winners - 26 SR - 53.06% P/L to SP - +9.34pts P/L to BFSP - +11.33pts 3yo's Runners - 31 Winners - 14 SR - 45.16% P/L to SP - +6.95pts P/L to BFSP - +9.09pts 4yo's + Runners - 7 Winners - 3 SR - 42.86% P/L to SP - +2.75pts P/L to BFSP - +3.48pts Impressive stats for sure that may bring both Professor (4.00) and Art Official (4.30) into the reckoning as both look likely to start clear favourites today.

James Doyal gave Serenity Spar are very poor ride at Salisbury
James does give the odd poor ride here and there but thats due to his inexperienced and young age. I have to say I have been impressed with him recently, he could potentially be a top 10 jockey. Fantastic to see him ride a treble yesterday at the biggest flat meeting of the year, has it been done since multiple Gr1 winning jockey WR Swinburn rode a treble in the late 90s?

Re: The Jockey Thread What is going on in the 3.05pm tomorrow at Ascot? Greatwood is usually ridden by Fallon for Cumani (3 times previously from 5 rides) and he was on board in the Dante. Hughes takes the ride instead (never ridden it before) and Fallon hops onto Fantastic Moon for Noseda. (rode it once before in Breeders Cup, 10th of 14) Looked like a strange thing to happen at first glance. Is this the owners wanting Hughes rather than Fallon?

Re: The Jockey Thread Richard Hughes is having a mare of a week. He seems like he can only ride a horse one way and it's so hard to weave your way through these massive fields. Wentworth was full of running but he left his challenge too late when those in front had already kicked and got momentum. That one will win races in the future and was unlucky today from a high draw. Spencer is not doing much better either and while Hanagan is riding well from the front he just keeps setting races up for the fast finishers. Spencer hopped off Vadamar before the Gold Cup to adjust the tack but he was then seen stretching the horses front legs out like when a footballer gets cramp, not sure what that was all about, at first I thought he was checking to see if the horse had lost a shoe. He then rode it at the back of the pack, never put it into the race.

What is going on in the 3.05pm tomorrow at Ascot? Greatwood is usually ridden by Fallon for Cumani (3 times previously from 5 rides) and he was on board in the Dante. Hughes takes the ride instead (never ridden it before) and Fallon hops onto Fantastic Moon for Noseda. (rode it once before in Breeders Cup' date=' 10th of 14) Looked like a strange thing to happen at first glance. Is this the owners wanting Hughes rather than Fallon?[/quote'] Mr H jocked Mr F off one on the Tuesday too I think....

What is going on in the 3.05pm tomorrow at Ascot? Greatwood is usually ridden by Fallon for Cumani (3 times previously from 5 rides) and he was on board in the Dante. Hughes takes the ride instead (never ridden it before) and Fallon hops onto Fantastic Moon for Noseda. (rode it once before in Breeders Cup' date=' 10th of 14) Looked like a strange thing to happen at first glance. Is this the owners wanting Hughes rather than Fallon?[/quote'] Maybe the owners would like a change of jockeys or simply they don't want him. Fallon in the past has been sacked by many owners over the years notably Maktoum al Maktoum, the Queen after losing the Oaks on Flight of Fancy,I don't recall him having another ride for Henry Cecil's since their split about 14 years ago.

Jimmy Fortune's ride on Another Cocktail' date=' absolutely horrific. What a horrible jockey. Switched to the outside and should have stayed there. Cut into the rail again, and got blocked off. Terrible[/quote'] Not one of my favourite jockeys. John Gosden inherited Fortune by default, i was surprised it took many years before Gosden got the courage to give Jimmy his P45. He has a top class jockeys now.

Spencer hopped off Vadamar before the Gold Cup to adjust the tack but he was then seen stretching the horses front legs out like when a footballer gets cramp' date=' not sure what that was all about, at first I thought he was checking to see if the horse had lost a shoe. He then rode it at the back of the pack, never put it into the race.[/quote']They stretch the legs to make sure the girth isn't pinching. If he was adjusting the saddle he'd be doing that to check it was OK. (normally done in the pre-parade area/saddling boxes) :ok

They stretch the legs to make sure the girth isn't pinching. If he was adjusting the saddle he'd be doing that to check it was OK. (normally done in the pre-parade area/saddling boxes) :ok
They should have had you on Ch4 to explain. They showed it on TV yet no one bothered to comment on it. I thought he was checking for a lost shoe at first. Cheers for the explanation.