** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

2010 Boxing Thread

superfoo

Re: 2010 Boxing Thread GH - I was toying with that Rigondeaux 'button' as well. Real tough to call, mainly due to the massive gulf between previous ooponents. Think Ive seen all the prespects fights the other night although with beer. Seems a decent technician with a wound up uppercut Naseem style. Cordoba has hit the floor a few times but this guy unlike others is there to fight (and had more than a weeks notice). I want him to win and think he will but this is unchartered territory and am a little wary. Still he looks patient and classy and is a wicked counter puncher.

• Replies 967
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: 2010 Boxing Thread Been pondering the Haye/Harrison fight for a good while now and I've changed my opinion. Harrison hasn't even got a punchers chance.In the same way that Enzo Mac didn't have a punchers chance, despite having a rep for being heavy handed. Sky have done a good job of hyping Harrison to the point where most have forgotten just how bad he actually is. So how will this fight go? Well I expect Audley to be up for it for about 10 seconds, before the enormity of his predicament dawns on him. Then I fully expect him to do what he has always done: shit himself and cover up. This will be all the invitation Haye needs and I think he'll finish it early, very early. My head is saying round 1 or 2, but I'm going to cover the first 4 to be on the safe side. Coral have the 1st four rounds each priced up at 10s, which is enough to make me dust off my dormant account with them. Staking is: 7 pts rd 1 10 pts rd 2 7 pts rd 3 5 pts rd 4 all at 10s. Total stake = 29 pts min return = 50 pts The Rigondeaux fight is an interesting one. Cordoba is obviously well seasoned, but he's never consitently mixed in genuine world class company, especially when you compare him to the likes of Molitor or Caballero. Of course that has to be balanced against the fact that whilst undoubtedly a talent, Rigondeaux still hasn't mixed in any company at all. I think the obvious call here is Rig late on or by decision, which is where my money is going down on this one, only small stakes though. 2 pts Rigondeaux 10-12 @ 8.0 1 pt Rigondeaux by decision @ 2.62 both bet 365. I've got a few thoughts on the Groves and Pac fights, but they're going to have to wait.

Re: 2010 Boxing Thread Struggling for time here so as qucik as poss. I'm with Paul, forget the hype, this is the same Audley that has been sparked by Sprott, totally dominated by him again and suffered losses to Rogan, its a disgrace this fight is even taking place, a freak show. Haye to win in Rounds 1,2,3,4, and 5. 5pts each at odds of R1 10/1 R2 10/1 R3 10/1 R4 10/1 R5 11/1 all Betfred. Other bet is Davies to beat Hall 10pts at 7/4 skybet. I cant seperate these, Napa would have beaten Hall if it wasnt for the heat last time and Davies maybe should of beat Napa onthe cards, its a pick em fight at best so 7/4 has to be taken.

Re: 2010 Boxing Thread Lets hope it's not a disastrous night for the sport of boxing later, which it will be if Margarito and Harrison win. Imagine Audley finding a hail mary:sad He'd be unbearable on ...loose women, titchmarsh, norton and any other god forsaken media outlet, not to mention the sports/news channels A nice enough bloke, but has been handed this shot having done fckall as a pro. Has never faced a top 15 fighter in the paid ranks. Would'nt class him as a coward, as a poster above did, because any fighter that is prepared to step between the ropes not long after a family tradgedy, as Harrison did a few years back, deserves a bit of repect. Has had numerous chances to get the public back on board, even after he single-handedly ruined boxing coverage on terrestial tv, but his efforts have been dire, to say the least. He'll be there tonight, using a big paw as his main defence, while looking absolutely petrified. A few doubted this fight could come off, but winning the big fella's tournament put him right in the frame. And the British public did the rest. Lets hope Haye finally puts him out to pasture. Coming in light, means that speed is his main ally tonight. Will be darting in and out, with the cumbersome Harrison desperate to get him in close, to maul and lean, putting his 3 stone advantage to good use. Don't get me started on Margo...hideous.

Re: 2010 Boxing Thread

Would'nt class him as a coward, as a poster above did, because any fighter that is prepared to step between the ropes not long after a family tradgedy, as Harrison did a few years back, deserves a bit of repect.
If you're talking about me saying he's going to shit himself and cover up, don't get me wrong - he's taking his shot and that takes some balls. But lets face it, he doesn't have the heart of a fighter. If he did he'd be a different proposition entirely. Anyways, Groves V Anderson at 8. Good luck with the bets everyone and here's to a good night of action:ok

Give some outsiders a chance in November. Cant honestly say I think any will come in but may be a little overpriced or maybe their opponents underpriced. Not backed any yet - lookining for opinions (without laughter):moon Chris Edwards bt Sexton 3/1 Looks like this is off! Davies bt Hall 15/8 VC Backed him to beat Napa. That formline doesnt quite work out for this one but keen on the style and circumstances in this one. Thought Napa was coming on in his loss to Hall and got to say there was a touch of disbelief when he quit. Think Hall, a decent counter-puncher will have more pressure than he has faced before, be interesting to see how he handles it. Groves v Anderson Groves as short as 1/7 with a couple. Personally think this is too short and he was flattered with the Adamu win. Was looking at over 5.5 at 4/9 but thats gone. Will take a step back and think that 6.5+ is reasonable at 4/7. Anderson hasnt fought anyone special but I feel his amateur pedigree should see him into the second half of this fight whilst dealing with the over-rated power of Groves? Harrison bt Haye 11/2 Intersting fight all round. Said when it was first announce that it may be in the stars for Harrison but that opinion is waning. Having said that the guy is an Olympic gold medallist who will never have been as focused in his life, deluded or not. Hayes dodgy beard is pretty much the only thing that keeps this interesting. Dont think I want Audley to win but I believe in farirytales so YES HE CAN!:) Cordoba stop Rigondeaux 12/1 SJ Rigon undoubtedley has massive potential but this looks way overpriced considering the gulf in class he is stepping up in. Have to say the guy does look exciting and his handlers must think him ready in his 7th(?) bout. That said the far more seasoned Cordoba has some good wins including decking Cabellero on a way to a decision. The Cuban is a worthy favourite but the chin that has been clipped by lessar opposition is not yet proven. I hope he does take a punch though as I think he looks class. Margarito bt Pacman 9/2 Mentioned concerns about Pac. But Margs aint getting a decision so you would have to go stoppage at 7/8s:unsure Flores bt Greene 7/2 Money in for Flores, intend to look into.
15/8 well gone and now BP 13/8. Not ideal but will substitute for Davies stoppage 9/2 VC 5PTS

If you're talking about me saying he's going to shit himself and cover up, don't get me wrong - he's taking his shot and that takes some balls. But lets face it, he doesn't have the heart of a fighter. If he did he'd be a different proposition entirely. Anyways, Groves V Anderson at 8. Good luck with the bets everyone and here's to a good night of action:ok
Wasnt about you.. Haye itd & Rigondeaux @ 1.60..boyles 20 pts. Haye itd, jones/karass O 8.5, rigondeaux itd @ 3.70...2 pts b365 Missed out on rigon's itd @ 6/4 earlydoors. Worth putting in an accy though. Class act..superb defence and classy counters. Nearly 400 am' contests with about 10 defeats has him rated by many as Cuba's finest ever. Karass a tough dude, who might get disqualiefied, but hopefully he toughs it out in front of his fellow countrymen who'll bulk up most of the crowd..

PS... Haye ain't beating either Klitschko in a month of sundays.
Can't agree with you on that! Vlad would be difficult to get close to but haye would always have a punchers chance as vlad has no chin. Vitali is pushing on now and is definately there for the taking. Haye is the only 1 who could beat either of them so let's hope the fights happen. I have my doubts though.

Hi Five, welcome to the thread:ok If you look hard enough you can find fights for most the mainstream guys and even the tiers below if recorded. Domestically Warren usually has bits of most his fighters. For what its worth I trawled my emails and found this from 2007 necer investigated it back then but I tried the link and it worked so they are still up and running. Any mods - if this is inapprpriate please delete. http://www.boxing-videos.net/ it aint free though at a guess
Doh! I was logged in when my cousin replied here.

Re: 2010 Boxing Thread Lets hope harrison disappears for good now. There's tons of good, honest fighters out there, who don't receive an ounce of the privileges the deluded one has. Anyhow it's money in the bank, which is the most important thing. Possibly a Chagaev mandatory for Haye now. Pacman is a freak of nature OR still on the juice. Defies description. Fck Margarito. Rigondeaux is taken all the way, which should do him the power of good. Welcome to the pro game. Glad to have missed the 6/4. Karass gets jobbed on the cards apparently, by a possible future Kel Brook opponent in Mike Jones. For some reason Jones is ranked top 5 by all the major bodies, so he'll have a choice of paths to take. No way he comes to Blighty to face Brook, when home court is so important...as proved last night. Brook is only ranked by the WBO, but Jones across the pond is a winnable fight, and would propel him into the US mainstream, as well as earn him the title.

Pacman is a freak of nature OR still on the juice. Defies description. Fck Margarito.
Pac was phenomenal last night, I'm beginning to change my mind that Mayweather could beat him. I just don't see how you counteract his movement, power and accuracy. Juice or not he's an absolute force of nature. A less than once in a generation fighter.
Karass gets jobbed on the cards apparently, by a possible future Kel Brook opponent in Mike Jones. For some reason Jones is ranked top 5 by all the major bodies, so he'll have a choice of paths to take. No way he comes to Blighty to face Brook, when home court is so important...as proved last night. Brook is only ranked by the WBO, but Jones across the pond is a winnable fight, and would propel him into the US mainstream, as well as earn him the title.
Karass was unlucky. He clearly lost the first two and last two. He clearly won the ones in between. So I had it 6-4. A draw would have been fair, but 7-3 to Jones as one judge scored it is one of those scores that makes you realise how fcuked up boxing can be occasionally.

Re: 2010 Boxing Thread Green v Flores...Interesting matchup, only in that Green is actually fighting an opponent at the Cruiserweight limit. Has always stipulated ridiculous catchweight's before, but Flores is allowed to come in at the proper 200 lbs.... There can only be one reason why imo. The unbeaten American, is'nt that good. Has a gloriously padded ledger, never facing anyone of note (neither has Green at the weight to be fair), and he's glorified in the past, of calling out the bigger (and superior) names. Possess's little pop, despite what his record says, and has the reputation of getting on his bike, and stinking the place out. Danny has never been over 185 since he went to cruiser. But, like all TV backed fighters holding all the cards, his approval of the fight at the legitimate weight, suggests his confidence levels for the bout to be pretty hefty.

Re: 2010 Boxing Thread Arum stated last night that it was the plan for Jones to come over here and fight Brook didnt he? Close fight and I think Jones will learn from that. Think maybe he wanted to make a statement and be the first to stop JSK, either way it didnt work and wouldve probably won comfortably if he had just boxed. Either way I think Jones will be a tougher fight for Brook than Karras would prove. Though both are far, far better than Forbes. Rigondeaux like GH says will have felt the benefit, seemed to be more work to box the distance than he thought. Looks a little too relaxed at times but has fast hands and good footwork but at 30 is going to push on and box a little more aggressively if he wants to pull the crowds. Props to him for this in his 7/8th fight, not many fighters but in like that nowadays.

Re: 2010 Boxing Thread Called it spot on, a freak show. Like GH said, no boxer is a coward, anyone who steps through the ropes has balls, but Audley comes as close to one as we will see, I almost feel for him as you can tell he hates being hit and he really doesnt want to be there. It's just not the mentality you expect from a fighter. Thank god for Pacman restoring some faith, I wish the juice guys would stop it, he has passed every single test he has taken, yeah he has probably used HGH, but many many boxers have and continue to do so. (Didnt Haye?) I'm with Paul as well, I just can't have Haye beating Wlad, we would get a good idea of where he is at with a fight agaisnt Chaguev though as thier is a formline there with Wlad.

Early prizefighter odds out. Choi Tseveenpurev @ 2/1 10 pts ( limited with this book now)sportingbet is huge and won't last ! Sykes rightfully the 6/4 jolly, in what is a first for prizefighter..a current British champion appearing ! A Choi v Sykes dream final looks the way to go, if kept apart...and somehow i think they will be !! Get on the Mongolian Warrior, at this superb price while you can. Love this fella, ever since he landed in England all those years ago with his arse hanging out of his pants, seeking his boxing fame and fortune... Settled into a caravan in the pub back garden, whilst honing his superb conditioning on the unforgiving Glossop hills. An absolute machine of a fighter, who sadly has'nt reaped the financial rewards his dedication and old school morals deserved. Too dangerous for his good, as had multiple fighters shying away from facing him. The hot prospect who fancied his chances with Warren's blessing, surprisingly...was Derry Matthews, who got taken apart over 5 rounds. Even the cream amongst the elite, recognise the big risk/no reward scenario of squaring off with him. Choi earned a shot with FWP, but even frankie had trouble matching him. Is now linked up with Spencer Feron..and they all recognise what a fantastic opportunity this is, with all the publicity and ranking-jumping associated with winning it. Out of the four defeats in his career, only one of them was sure-fire loss..the other three contentious decisions against him on enemy territory. The guy was born to fight, and he's never out of fighting condition. Has a strong following, and will have great support at the York Hall, and signing him (and sykes) for the tournament is a real feather in Hearn's cap. Will be a crackin' tornament, and just what is needed after the bouncers convention in the last tournament. And why O'Hara 25/1, is longer than the likes of Matthews, Ball and Lawton is anyone's guess. :loon
Choi/Sykes final @ 3/1 skybet...5 pts. Well the draw was made by Haye and Harrison on saturday (Audley's biggest effort of his weekend) and as predicted..Choi and Sykes are in the opposite ends of the draw. These are superb odds and won't last, far better than dutching seperately to win the thing. Choi over Murphy and Sykes over Lawton Double @ 2.10 skybet..5 pts. Choi opens the show, giving us the most experienced fighter against the least. Murphy a game sod and will be giving it a good go. A late sub for the competition, after o'Hara dropped out, but he was in full training for a commonwealth title shot on the Haye undercard, so no problems there. Is a gym rat anyhow, and despite his lack of fights, he lives the life of a fighter. Has 3 defeats and 7 wins from 10 bouts, and has never been stopped. His last fight was a creditable pts loss to John Watson, who recently gave Gavin Rees a decent fight. Choi is another step up, and despite his lack of action since he demolished Matthews a few years back, he realises the advantages of becoming top dog in this tournament. Opens doors for even the average fighter. Choi another naturally fit and never out of condition boxer, who does'nt touch the booze or smokes. A crowd pleaser with a warrior mentality. His answer to the Q.."what don't you like about the sport?" was......."Referee's stopping the fight" Sykes is the reigning British champ and takes on the shop soiled Scott Lawton. The format of three 3 min rounds levels the field a tad with certain fighters, but Lawton's recent ko defeats(albeit against quality opponents), is his biggest worry. Sykes has too much in his locker, at these respective stages of their careers.

Green v Flores...Interesting matchup, only in that Green is actually fighting an opponent at the Cruiserweight limit. Has always stipulated ridiculous catchweight's before, but Flores is allowed to come in at the proper 200 lbs.... There can only be one reason why imo. The unbeaten American, is'nt that good. Has a gloriously padded ledger, never facing anyone of note (neither has Green at the weight to be fair), and he's glorified in the past, of calling out the bigger (and superior) names. Possess's little pop, despite what his record says, and has the reputation of getting on his bike, and stinking the place out. Danny has never been over 185 since he went to cruiser. But, like all TV backed fighters holding all the cards, his approval of the fight at the legitimate weight, suggests his confidence levels for the bout to be pretty hefty.
I have swayed back and forth in this one and it has now become even more of conundrum with both coming in 195lb. So Flores is coming in at his lightest ever. It seems that although there was no official catchweight there was some sort of bonus in the contract if Flores weighed ina couple of kilos lighter than the 200lb limit. That said I pretty much agree with GHs post. I did and still do feel that Flores is a tad overpriced and is indeed a live underdog, whilst also talking a good fight. It would be logical to think Green may struggle with the bigger opponent and maybe take the decision which is where the money has gone. However Flores hasnt shown the sturdiest of chins and has been put down at least 3 times during the course of his padded ledger. Wilson also hurt him but he was able to steer clear after opening a wide early points lead. I dont read too much into the stoppage of a shot RJJ but it cant be denied that Green has genuine power. That is one of his major assets but he does struggle with movement. Flores although inactive has sparred with some of the best but I do think Hayes comments about him being the next Cruiserweight king are exaggerated - the guy was toying with moving to mma six months ago. In a nutshell, even if Flores can take Greens shots Im thinking if he has drained himself for the 'bonus' then this could begin to tell its toll and although the weight difference could be up to a stone on fight night I think Green may be able to wear him down and if Flores does get on his bike I give Green a better chance of hunting down his hurt opponent than the somewhat sluggish and limited Wilson (who was being unnecessarily hyped at the time and is still BJs best win). Going to take a punt on a Green stoppage rounds 7-12. Want to watch it now:-( Recommended bet Green stop Flores 10 pts @ 3/1 Sporting Bet

Re: 2010 Boxing Thread As for prizefighter. Dont know too much about half the field. For me Sykes has the right attributes to win prizefighter - the main being punch volume. The opening 6/4(?) was too short but 5/2 is very tempting. Choi is a worry though Seriously like the GH double though I have never seen Murphy fight. Odds still available so copying with Choi over Murphy and Sykes over Lawton Double @ 2.10 skybet - 50pts. Maybe a bit optimistic but I think Matthews has the potential to be a wildcard here but 22s well gone (a better replacement for ohara probably) but maybe 14s is playable. Hopefully will have time to do a decent preview but will see. Meanwhile can anyone enlighten with details regarding Mcarthurs ko on prizefighter last year? cant seem to find footage.

Re: 2010 Boxing Thread BJ Flores to beat Danny Green 3/1 Stan James. 5 pts.

Not much time for a write up as I’m at work. This just looks a bit too big, I think Green will win the fight but he isnt THAT good, less said about the last fight the better and the RJJ match was just as much of a farce, Flores has a very padded record but even if he is half as good as the record suggests he might be able to give Green a run, think Green will win but happen to go in on Flores at 3/1.

As for prizefighter. Dont know too much about half the field. For me Sykes has the right attributes to win prizefighter - the main being punch volume. The opening 6/4(?) was too short but 5/2 is very tempting. Choi is a worry though Seriously like the GH double though I have never seen Murphy fight. Odds still available so copying with Choi over Murphy and Sykes over Lawton Double @ 2.10 skybet - 50pts. Maybe a bit optimistic but I think Matthews has the potential to be a wildcard here but 22s well gone (a better replacement for ohara probably) but maybe 14s is playable. Hopefully will have time to do a decent preview but will see. Meanwhile can anyone enlighten with details regarding Mcarthurs ko on prizefighter last year? cant seem to find footage.
McArthur was stopped due a bad gash on the top of his forehead, if i remember rightly. Pretty sure he had another cut over one of his eyes. :ok He's only fought average opponents since, winning them all...but having said that i'd want more than 22's, never mind 14's for Matthews. One of Frankies golden boys a few years back, with Fwank seeing £signs in Matthews headlining the big Liverpool arena's, when the scouse scene was a bit bare for top boxers at that time.. Had a crackin' win over an (unfocused Steve Foster who was having promotional troubles )which had the domestic/Euro fight trade taking notice, and followed that up with that spitefully fortunate win over john simpson. T'was a blatant hometown nod, and was gutted for simpson who endured several underhand tactics. Matthew well and truly lived up to his 'Dirty' moniker that night. His humbling came at the hand of expected scapegoat Choi T. Was absolutely marmalised. Been downhill ever since, with another 3 ko defeats. One by a SA journeyman with 6 stoppages to his name. his last 2 fights have been against pitiful opponents, who's combined record show 70 odd consecutive defeats, going in against Matthews. He has scouse support on esb, which should be taken with a pinch of salt, and he's popped in himself in confident mode. The McArthur fight is hard to call, but maybe the power lies with Matthews... but Matthews whiskers are a no no for me, on the betting front. If he gets through, he could well be facing his living Nightmare in the semis.

Re: 2010 Boxing Thread A few weight flunctations in Prizefighter, with several fighters coming back down to the super-feather limit. Matthews is one of them, having his recent fights around the 140 mark. Lawton another, having tried his hand at the higher limits. Sykes in his comfort zone, and his title is'nt at risk. The first reigning champ to ink a Prizefighter contract. The 4th QF pits Manchester's Stevie Bell against Gary Buckland. Buckland the warm favourite over the part-time actor.... Bell is a proper character and a not too shabby boxer, but he is coming off a stoppage defeat. One of Hatton's original three amigo's mates from way back when, who could make a living doing stand-up..no problem. As it is, he does very well with the 'luvvie' brigade in corrie, emmerdale, hollyoaks etc. Weighing up a stoppage in Matthews/McArthur. Could be 9 minutes of mayhem between these two. Won't be pretty.