** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

2010 Boxing Thread

superfoo

Hi guys A few people seem to be interested in this or at least I hope they are. Im going to run a thread for myself with selections and hopefully double my money over the year. Anyone is welcome to join in and I will keep a record if need be (hopefully someone will volunteer as Im so disorganised!!!!;) All selections need to be justified and same as last year trial we will start with a balance of 1000 points where the maximum stake is 10% of your personal bankroll. I think its definately achievable to double your money this way, so here goes.....gl guys:ok Updated rules as of post 272.... I dont want to seem high and mighty or like Im cracking a whip but feel I need to post something for my own sanity - bear in mind this is only for the benefit of the table, you can post what you want I have no problem with that but if you want your selections to be included in the thread table please abide by the following basic rules. 1. Reasoning is required with all selections, even if it is only a line or two. I appreciate that in certain (usually more mainstream) fights that various comments may have made previously that you agree with and feel it is pointless to mention again but still its possible to quote and add a couple of aomments yourself. 2. When stating your selection please include Stake, odds and which bookie. Please make these points as clear as possible and I really would appreciate it if you could highlight these in bold. It only takes a second and saves me reading each individual post in order to find selections which really can be quite time consuming. 3. >Betfair. Thought a bit about this and although I have no problem with people stating what they took on betfair, for the purpose of the table only bookies prices that are available to everybody should be used. 4. Editing and after eventing. It is fine to change your mind regarding staking but please please dont edit posts especially after the fight. It would be best if the original post was quoted and then state your ammendment. 5. Stakes. Due to this being originally a thread for myself I want to stick with the staking that I stated in the original post of only being able to stake a maximum of 10% of your bankroll which was set as a theoretical 1000 pts (this is what I originally started the thread with the aim of doubling my money by the end of the year). Various people have stated that if no stake is included then use a standard stake of 10 pts - I now intend to implement this across the board and have had to use it a couple of times.

• Replies 967
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Superfoo and PL? boxing challenge Going to have a small bet on Dolan by KO; he had Norton in trouble, flooring him twice, in their first meeting and the 38yr old has only fought once in the meantime.. he's getting on a bit and will drop his hands at times so at 7.50 I think it's worth 1pt on a Dolan KO/TKO. What do you reckon superfoo?

Re: Superfoo and PL? boxing challenge

I was going for Renda at 1/2 when I posted but markets gone:( Should be a tear up anyway - so unfortunately no bet:$
what made you fancy renda at the odds?
I was thinking the same, overrated, no chin, poor defence and beaten up twice now by a bloke that looks like he's just come off the crack pipe. I wouldn't have backed Renda at 2-1 never mind 1-2. Glad you saved your money Foo. :ok

Re: Superfoo and PL? boxing challenge

I was thinking the same' date=' overrated, no chin, poor defence and beaten up twice now by a bloke that looks like he's just come off the crack pipe. I wouldn't have backed Renda at 2-1 never mind 1-2. Glad you saved your money Foo. :ok[/quote'] :lol samuels did have the look of a blotto'ed john conteh.

• 2 weeks later...

Re: Superfoo and PL? boxing challenge Lee McAllister v Samuel Amoako I stumbled across the odds for this this fight by accident so thought I would have a nosey at Amoaka so went on boxrec. His last fight and only weight on record was 137, this commonwealth title fight will be at 135 so sit suggests he wont be a blown up lighter weight. Hes undefeated with 6 wins (2kos) and beat the now Ghanan 140lb champ on his debut. He will more than likely be cannon fodder as the odds suggest for the useful, flashy McAllister in his 2nd defence…..but unbeaten, unknown fighters can sometimes be an unknown quantity in what they bring. Having said that the last Ghanan to fight McAllister when he won the title didn’t amount to much. McAllister is a decent fighter who gave John Murray all he could handle for the first few rounds before gradually being worn down and stopped in the 6th by a crippling body blow. Despite that showing McAllister hasn’t beaten that much quality with a fading Craig Docherty arguably being his best scalp. Mcallister can look very good and with his quick feet and reflexes can make opponents look amateurish with his cocky, switch hitting ways but he is not known for his knockout power despite stopping his last two oppponents, this said he can also be outworked by busy opponents. This is Amakoas first trip out of Ghana and it could well be for a beating - but at large odds Im willing to have a tickle. I am taking a lot for granted here but considering the fact hes undefeated and has a victory over the higherr weight national champion so in theory should be roundabout the weight and maybe has a workmanlike style that can outwork McAllister for a decision. A lot of hope and guesswork there and I wouldn’t be surprised by an early stoppage from McAllister but at the odds worth it in my opinion. Recommended bet 2pts Amoako bt McAllister by decision or TD 201/ Skybet Note I was going to wait for the weigh in and have a proper gander but not had time so this is done pretty blind but it is minimal Also will kick myself if he wins by other means so I will add the following…. 1pt Amoako bt McCallister 8/1 general.

Re: Superfoo and PL? boxing challenge Thats the best strategy. Make the odds do the work. McAllister is available at good odds for pts 2.10 and ITD 2.60, but which one would he win by? Thats the dilemma. Has you say, 'live' might be the way with this one, but i won't be around. The value deffo in playing amoakoa imo. 12/1 ITD good enough for me to dip me toe. the treble pays 1.52 with 365.

Re: Superfoo and PL? boxing challenge I'm on small stakes for Amoako to win by KO/TKO/DQ. Quite an unknown and they can often be dangerous. Clearly has some power and KO'd his last 3 (that could have all been bums) but looks ripped and powerful for his weight. It should go to McAllister but don't like the odds available. Could end up being a tear up and the first good punch to land will see what sort of chin each opponent has. 2pts Amoako to win by KO/TKO/DQ - taken 10-1 but 12-1 available elsewhere.

Re: Superfoo and PL? boxing challenge Mads Larsen v Brian Magee These 2 meet for the vacant European title with both having their last fight in December 08. There is a chance of a little rustiness in the early stages whilst both try and find their rhythm and feel each other out. Both are decent fighters with sturdy chins with Magee being a little more workmankike than the classier Larsen. Both have good chins and have never been stopped except Froch stopping Magee in the 11th 3 years ago in a fight that Magee held his own for a good while before being worn down by the powerful Froch, Larse wont be punching that hard for me. I feel this fight should be competitve and though I think Larsen may well win in his homecoming I think the safer bet lies in the under/overs. I dont see an eaarly ko and feel this will go deep. Recommended bet 60pts over 8.5 4/9 Boyles Value imo as Sky only go 1/3 on over 7.5

Re: 2010 Boxing Thread Sebastian Sylvester v Billy Lyell Bit of a quick oone this. Sylvester is a good but not exceptional fighter with a good jab and is reltively strong. 8 of his 9 last fights have gone to decision though when stepping up in opposition (the ko was vs a ropey Italian). Lyell is probably best known for his shock win over thr over rated John Duddy. His record is a bit scatty but he isnt a bad fighter, often stepping in at late notice. The win over Duddy may have rejuvenated him a touch with maybe a little cacsh on the horizon. He has shown a decent chin in the past going the distance with the hard punching prospect Vanes Martirosyan. Sylvesters chin has been questioned in the past but Lyell is no a particularly big puncher with only 4 kos on his record. Im a little bit stuck betting wise as I think Sylvester should win via points but Lyell could put in a 2nd performance of a lifetime. So Im going to split stakes on an over bet and a in my opinion a logical points win. Recommended bets... 20pts Sylvester bt Lyell by decision or TD 13/8 Bet365 35pts over 8.5 4/7 Bet365

Re: 2010 Boxing Thread Mads Larsen V Brian Magee Mads is fighting in his home town so should be backed up be a noisy crowd.Whilst Larsen is not the biggest of punchers he does have a style that catches the eye.Magee is durable yes, but Larsen fighting in his home town should quite easily clock up the rounds and comfortably win a decision. Selection.. 50 points Larsen to win on Points 8/5 Ladbrokes

Re: 2010 Boxing Thread What are initial thoughts on Haye V Ruiz. I immediately thought Haye by KO but looking at Ruiz's record he's only been knocked out once, that was in the 1st round against David Tua. Loads of matches of his have gone to points including Valuev, Chagaev, Golota, Rahman, Roy Jones Jr, Holyfield. If you think Haye by KO do you think it will be early doors or will he box for a few rounds, soften him up and then KO him later in the fight?

Re: 2010 Boxing Thread shemenov 2.10..wins a hideously bent decision but thats promoting the show for you :nana murat/club fighter under 7.5 @ 1.67..murat does the biz in 2. :nana manfredo, lara, sylvester treble 1.52..:nana Omokoa ITD 13.0..:sad Brinkley ITD 8.0..:\ had his opponent down heavily in the 6th and the 12th, but stevens shown great heart to go to the bell.

Re: 2010 Boxing Thread Martin Concepcion to beat Kev Hammond @ 1.72 sportingbet. 10 pts. Going to this tomorrow so a bit of an extra incentive to bet on it :unsure Fancy Martin for this one and I'll play at 1.72, neither fighter has much of a chin but I think that Martins power will carry him through this one, he has showed this when he knocked out Matthew Hall and although that was a while ago and he lost his way a bit since, it sounds like he is really back up for this one and all the right noises have been coming out the local papers this week. He is said to have hurt Hammond when they spared together as well. Experience also a key as Hammond has only had about 8 fights whereas Martin has been in the ring with fighters like Alfonso Gomez. Should be a decent fight and the winner of it goes to the Light-Middleweight Prizefighter tournament later this month.

Re: 2010 Boxing Thread Flamin nora matt 1.8 at skybet. Waiting on unders/overs, but should be a good little ding dong. Can't be having concepcions whiskers though, seen him put down heavy on numerous occasions. Can bang himself though. Know little about hammond, except he has a short resume. big imcentive for both, with Prizefighter for the winner. enjoy the night.

Re: 2010 Boxing Thread

Flamin nora matt 1.8 at skybet. Waiting on unders/overs, but should be a good little ding dong. Can't be having concepcions whiskers though, seen him put down heavy on numerous occasions. Can bang himself though. Know little about hammond, except he has a short resume. big imcentive for both, with Prizefighter for the winner. enjoy the night.
Oh yeah he has no chin but the fact there is no puncher on Hammond's record leads me to believe there might not be anything on him either. Martin can get him early and I'm really tempted by that round 1-9 at 7/4 on skybet :eek I love what I have seen of Valero so far, what a story so far, this year we could be seeing how far he is going to go. His strongest test so far this looks. This Di Marco has put away some half decent fighters. Looks like the next world class Mexican to follow on from Barrera and Marquez in this division.

What are initial thoughts on Haye V Ruiz. I immediately thought Haye by KO but looking at Ruiz's record he's only been knocked out once' date=' that was in the 1st round against David Tua. Loads of matches of his have gone to points including Valuev, Chagaev, Golota, Rahman, Roy Jones Jr, Holyfield. If you think Haye by KO do you think it will be early doors or will he box for a few rounds, soften him up and then KO him later in the fight?[/quote'] Pretty tricky to way up in my opinion. Of those you list none are known as real big punchers except Rachman imo. Either way Ruiz is a real spoiler and has a decent chin in my opinion. The Tua ko was close to 15 years ago and Ruiz was but a pup and 2 stone lighter than what he fights at now. Besides that you could argue he was caught cold with the first punch hurting him really badly. Having said all that bar Tua he has never faced anyone with the explosive ko power that Haye has - you could also argue speed....but his ko power was only evident at the end when stepped up against a true heavyweight in Valuev (though to even rock him at any point is pretty impressive). If I was tending to go for a Haye ko though I would guess at earlier rather than later - maybe catching him early with a big one like Tua is but you would suspect Ruiz would be a little savvy for that with experience gained. Tbh I cant work it out myself so cant offer a solid opinion and will sit on the fence a while:) One scenario that could pop up is Haye hets a bit excited looking for this ko and leave himself open to get caught with a big right hand, hell even a chopping one in close may put him down! Maybe a value call at 8/1 for Ruiz KO/DQ/TKO!!! :eek.....But maybe not!:unsure

shemenov 2.10..wins a hideously bent decision but thats promoting the show for you :nana murat/club fighter under 7.5 @ 1.67..murat does the biz in 2. :nana manfredo, lara, sylvester treble 1.52..:nana Omokoa ITD 13.0..:sad Brinkley ITD 8.0..:\ had his opponent down heavily in the 6th and the 12th, but stevens shown great heart to go to the bell.
Good stuff GH:clap. Pretty unlucky with Brinkley - with the odds flipping like they did he seemed a real value call just for the win! Why dont you put a points stake on buddy so we can get the thread into a positive by the time I post up:)

Good luck with Concepcion Matt' date=' have you not looked at the Booth fight? May be value there? I was looking at write up but imo Booth should not be 1/7 i think Marsh is overpriced but I think Booth will win if that makes sense:lol[/quote'] Thought the same :lol Booth was really impressive agaisnt Hunter, as silly as it sounds the two bets that I have looked at are Booth via stoppage at around 7/4 or Marsh to win the fight at 4/1. If it goes 12 I think there is a decent chance Marsh could come out on top. I might just watch and enjoy though as it should be a fairly decent contest.

Re: 2010 Boxing Thread Jason Booth v Matthew Marsh Booth seems to have been on fire recently seeming to show a little more power moving up in weight. In Marsh though he is facing as slick a boxer since his last loss to Napa. Been scratching around on this fight for a while and feel Im eventually getting somewhere. Booth is a massive favourite and I think he will win but Marsh can be quick and classy and generally can stay out of troubele barring the bullying he received from the larger Derry Matthews (who worryingly seems to have capitulated since). I cant see that sort of manhandling with Booth coming up from as low as fly to natuarally big bantam. Despite me thinking it will be closer than others I still think Booth should win on points with Marshes slick boxing keeping him out of trouble and maybe well in the fight. If Marsh does win then I think its got to be on points as despite his quick combos they dont have much pop, so in that sense 10/1 is appealing but I fancy Booth so instead of the 5/6 on Booths points Im going to opt for the fight going the distance just in case Marsh pulls it off. Recommended bet 20pts fight to go the distance 4/5 Sporting Bet

Re: 2010 Boxing Thread only sky with prop bets for concepcion/hammond:wall u 8 @ 11/10. really like the under here. concepcion can only fight one way, and that cave-man approach has either worked for him ,10 kos in first 3 rounds from 14 wins...OR backfire bigtime, with 4 wipeouts in his 6 defeats. Never any controversy when concepcion gets stopped...when he's out, he's out. has a woeful chin, BUT packs a punch himself, a real crowd-pleaser. will come out firing from the off. That 7/4 about him in 1-12 far better value than his 1.80 outright imo1 hammond an unknown with a desperately thin resume. Has 3 kos in his last 3, but against less than weak opposition. found a link, where he comes across as a calm figure where he states he'll put concepcion away in 3. will try and find it if anyone interested. some huge early rounds available for those who track the bigger odds. looks like i'll be opening a US account for the valero/de marco under. will post later on reasons for the bet.

Re: 2010 Boxing Thread Well didnt expect that :eek Just snuck home on the decision by a point, very different to what was expecting, punching didnt seem to be as huge and coth mens chin's held up, Ive no idea how Hammond can make a light-middlewight, he looks like a light heavyweight. Decent contest anyway and hopefully Martin can try and do something in the prizefighter now. Shame the Booth fight was stopped as I thought it was very very close. Havnt seen the cut on TV yet but it did look quite bad. Might have a dabble on Valero tonight to stop him late, mulling it..... :unsure