** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

2010 Boxing Thread

superfoo

• Replies 967
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: 2010 Boxing Thread

Just managed to get on Smith by decision/technical decision at 3.2 and 3.1 Betfair. Smith looks totally focused and I am not convinced he can win by KO so gone for the points win. :ok
Good shout mate, his cut man deserves half the purse for that win. :notworthy

Huck ITD/Soto double 1.79 sportingbet 10 pts. Fancy Huck to revert to TKO mode for the challenge of the swamp donkey. Had 6 on the spin, before the more challenging opposition of ofolabi and ramirez in his last two fights. Richards has no real right to be challenging for the title, having had only two fights at cruiser against very poor opponents, following a lacklustre heavyweight stint. Will give his all, but can see Huck methodically putting him through the pain barrier before a mercy stoppage from the ref. Soto, whilst never reaching elite, is an excellent fighter. Should have too much in his locker for Diaz, who would have liked more time to prepare for the bout. giving up height and reach, Can't slag diaz off, because no one has a bad word to say about the guy, but his toughness will put to the test in this one. Has a great heart and will need it.
Huck v Richards Summed up pretty well by Greenoff before and would go along with all he says. Back to the standard oppostition prior to his last 2 fights I fancy Huck via stoppage and I don’t think Richards will be hard to find. This could be a bit of a slugfest and maybe ugly early doors but I expect Huck to gain full control after a few rounds and looking to land those big bombs (as telegraped as they might be). Going to hedge the bets and go for this to end within 8.5 rounds. Richards will definitely be apparent but I hope its not enough to see him go into the 9th and you never know if its wild early doors they could both go down:). Recommended bet 30 pts Huck/Richards Under 8.5 4/6 Sporting Bet

Re: 2010 Boxing Thread Just got on Sam Peter to win tonight.. think the price, although short, has been boosted by the fact that Aguilera beat Maskaev last time out. However, Maskaev was beyond done and I think even Scott Belshaw might've taken him out that night. He has only lost to elite guys and it is now do or die time for Peter as far as being relevant goes.. S.Peter to bt. N.Aguilera 20pts 1.33 Boyles

Re: 2010 Boxing Thread Gomez v Castillo Gomez potentially has the opprtunity to end another legends career in Castillo. I rated a prime Castillo as high as most and loved watching him but I think he has been in freefall for sometime now. After a few wins against very moderate opposition he takes what he coonsiders a final tilt for a title. I don’t consider Gomez to be any world beater but he is a solid, competent fighter with good boxing skills and a lot of heart. I think Castillo to be there for the taking and think Gomez is good enough to capatalise on the opportunity of having another ’name’ under his belt. Since his wars with Coralles Castillo eked past Ngoudjo lost to an effectively alraedy past it Hatton (where he practically gave up but credit to Hatton there) beaten and lost to moderate opposition before retiring after getting beat by Lujan in his first fight at 147. Gomez has said he wants to take this deep so I expect him to weather Castillos early storm and then tire out Castillo and want to question his heart. Recommended Bets 35 pts Gomez bt Castillo 8/15 Boyles 1pt each Gomez win in rounds 7-8-9 33/1 apiece Skybet

Re: 2010 Boxing Thread Soto v Diaz Soto has flown under the radar over the last few years mainly being remembered for the huge controversy with his DQ loss to Lorenzo. Diaz has probably seen better days to be honest in my opinion and after his lacklustre showing in his last fight looks as if the Pacquiao beating may have taken some effect. They both fought an ex champ but totally shot Jesus Chavez in their last fight and while Soto won every round Diaz eked out a majority decision. Combined with height/reach advantage I think Soto is a little quicker and busier. His punching power seems to be increasing and Diaz could be facing someone at the peak of his career. Recommended bet 60 ts Soto bt Diaz 1/3 Boyles

Re: 2010 Boxing Thread I'm already on Pacquiao by decision (which is a bit annoying as the price has grown from 2.75 to 2.88) but plenty think there is a fair chance that Clottey will be stopped late on. I can certainly see that outcome but I do think if it does happen, it'll be pretty late on. Clottey may be the best defensive fighter Pacman has faced since going on his recent tear through contemporary legends and Clottey also certainly offers less offensively than many of Pacquiao's opponents. I don't see Clottey straying too far from his usual gameplan and can at least see him sticking around until the 8th.. M.Pacquiao vs J.Clottey Over 7.5 Rounds 25pts 1.50 Skybet EDIT: Looks to be a bit of value as a few firms have Over 9.5 as short as 1.53. Also, despite all the hype, Pacquiao has only stopped 2 of his last 11 victims before this mark and as I mentioned, you'd think Clottey would be the hardest to break down and he is also the biggest man of the lot by a stretch. The two that Pacquiao stopped were, of course, a wide open Hatton and an ailing Erik Morales. Interestingly Clottey holds the compubox record for punches avoided in a fight (1,338) so definitely has the tools to go deep into this one.

Just got on Sam Peter to win tonight.. think the price, although short, has been boosted by the fact that Aguilera beat Maskaev last time out. However, Maskaev was beyond done and I think even Scott Belshaw might've taken him out that night. He has only lost to elite guys and it is now do or die time for Peter as far as being relevant goes.. S.Peter to bt. N.Aguilera 20pts 1.33 Boyles
Totally agree. Peter v Aguilera Perter has the experience on his side here and as mentioned has only lost to both the Klitshkos (decking Vladimir 3 times) and the tricky Chambers who may have been all wrong for him with his technique and movement. After these losses Peter seems to have redicated himself and has consistently come in 2 stone lighter in his last 3 fights. Ijust see Peter being too strong and Aguilera may be ther to hit. Think the 1/3 is reasonable but if Peters going to get back up in contention I think he knows he has to look impressive here. I think Peter is too big and powerful and can stop him by the middle of the fight. Recommended bet 30pts Peter/Aguilera under 7.5 5/6

Re: 2010 Boxing Thread Hey superfoo, when is your call for the big one coming?! Thinking of adding a few more points to my selection of Pacquiao by decision as the more I think about it the more I think the price is an excellent one. I was going to back Gomez but I'll be really pulling for Castillo so might leave that one alone. I was toying with taking Duddy's oppo, he's come close to derailing before and obviously did against Lyell who is a gatekeeper at the very best. 7.50 could be a bit of value but I know less than nothing about the guy other than he's 23-1-2 (18KO) with the only loss a credible one to Martirosyan. What do you reckon?

Re: 2010 Boxing Thread Great call on Peter guys. :clap Pete, I just cant back agaisnt Pacman not stopping anybody at the minute, I realise how durable Clottey is but he hasnt been in the ring with anybody like this before, he is going to have to take hundreds of punches flush tonight, I just think it has to take its toll over 36 minutes. I'll be mega impressed if he manages to take it to the scorecards.

Hey superfoo' date=' when is your call for the big one coming?! Thinking of adding a few more points to my selection of Pacquiao by decision as the more I think about it the more I think the price is an excellent one. I was going to back Gomez but I'll be really pulling for Castillo so might leave that one alone. I was toying with taking Duddy's oppo, he's come close to derailing before and obviously did against Lyell who is a gatekeeper at the very best. 7.50 could be a bit of value but I know less than nothing about the guy other than he's 23-1-2 (18KO) with the only loss a credible one to Martirosyan. What do you reckon?[/quote'] Im not going to do a write up on the Pacman fight. I dont have a decent enough opunion of it from a betting perspective. A lot depends on how Clottey fights. To beat Pac I think he has to saty on top of him and Clotteys previous reluctance to applpy pressure when seemingly having Cotto in trouble doesnt make me think he will do it. Someone summed it up quite well on here with him doing enough to stay in the fight. In the past maybe I havent given Manny the credit he deserves and thought there were reasons for his wins against the big names. I then hammered Cotto and got my fingers burned but again I think there is an excuse that the Margarito fight had taken a lot more out of him than I thought. But like I say I think Im being harsh on the guy. If I was to have a bet I would probably go with over 8.5 at 5/2. Cant argue with the Manny points win as Clottey is the biggest he has ever fought but the accumalation of shots may bring about a late stoppage if he carries the power to hurt him but Clotteys chin seems to be granite. Having said all that I put £3 on Clottey at 6.8 on Betfair, just for interest and I think he has a slightly better chance than that if he can catch pACMAN BUT LIKE i SAY IT WAS MORE OF A NOVELTY. As for Duddy I was thinking the same thing. Had long thought Dudy was over rated and was waiting for him to step up before taking him on big time - unfortunately Lyell got in there first and exposed him. What I know about Medina is the same as you - purely his record and I would take Vanes to beat Duddy as well so no disgrace there. Fair value play in my opinion for minimum stakes but in truth I have never seen the guy so cant comment too much.

Great call on Peter guys. :clap Pete, I just cant back agaisnt Pacman not stopping anybody at the minute, I realise how durable Clottey is but he hasnt been in the ring with anybody like this before, he is going to have to take hundreds of punches flush tonight, I just think it has to take its toll over 36 minutes. I'll be mega impressed if he manages to take it to the scorecards.
Yeah plenty are split on this one, makes it more intriguing as we get closer as more are giving Clottey a shot or think Pacquiao will blitz him. Disagree about the fact he hasn't been in with a fighter with such a high output before; in the fight with Margarito the Mexican set a CompuBox record for punches thrown, 1,675. Like I said before, he managed to avoid most of them and survive and should in theory be harder to hit flush than anyone Pacquiao has fought in recent times. You can't really disagree that Pacquiao could stop him, it just seems less likely in my opinion.

Re: 2010 Boxing Thread Asked about Medina on the boxrec bet thread, but nothing doing. Big price IF he has anything, because we all know duddy is'nt all that good. Medina looks the part on the weigh-in photo's, but he's a light-middle and and he's come in at 155.5 lbs for this one. Duddy as usual, is bang on 160. For all his limitations, he's old school and has a solid chin. Being under arum's wing , Duddy pts would seem the call, but he won't carry my cash, seeing how another 155lb'er in Lyell beat him.

Re: 2010 Boxing Thread Good work on Povetkin's rounds foo. Mora is another one of those podgy HW's. Has come in 13lbs heavier than his last outing, and looks like shit at the weigh-in. Fancy gomez to prosper tonight. Natural at the weight, backed by Top Rank, and with decent money on the horizon if he takes care of business with an empty castillo. Sad to see, cos prime for prime, gomez not fit to polish Castillo's protective cup. Into 4/9 now, and not willing to play the likes of him for 10 units. Instead 1 pt on ITD @ 5.50, with a 1 pt saver via dec @ 2.0.

Re: 2010 Boxing Thread I'm on Pacquaio by decision/technical decision at 3.3 Betfair. He has great power but Clottey has never been KO'd and you have to respect his record. Clottey can also bang but a lot of his KO's were earlier in his career. He has a good defence and will need one to stop punches from all angles at blistering speed. Cotto V Pacquaio was likely to go to points until it was stopped and I think this will go all the way with Pac taking the decision.

Re: 2010 Boxing Thread If anyone wants a stream for this PM me, I've got a cracking HD stream going cause my Sky is down. Anyways, onto the fight. Clottey by decision is 22/1. This is an absolutely insane price IMO, for a man who is likely to see the fight out. This is the first time in a good while that Pac is up against a naturally bigger man at a natural weight. No catchweight bollocks. This probably hints at a slight lack of respect for Clottey and pacs well documented interests outside the ring suggest he may not be 100% focussed ging into this. Having said that, despite starting out at fly, or wherever it was he still looks a monster at the weight. Punches like a mule and is fast as fcuk. However, Clottey is patient and well schooled, and most likely not going to be open to the leading right left hand that worked so well for Pac against De la Hoya, Hatton and Cotto. Clottey on points is a risky proposition as pac is very much the 'home' fighter here. Aside from Pac actually being likely to win, Clottey always just does enough to lose in the big fights. Cotto being a prime example of this where a flash KD in the first and the 6th sealed the fight for him. So who do i think wins? Pac by SD or a draw. Who am I betting on? Clottey by points. There's no way a fight between two world class fighters should have one of them down as 22/1 to take it on points. Just a small 3pt bet with Sportingodds. with a 0.5 pt bet on the draw.

Re: 2010 Boxing Thread Crackin' results from over the pond from the thread lads !! Full house i think.:ok Paul, how many times have we seen it with Clottey? Thats why he's a very good fighter, and not a great one. Biggest payday of his life...and he has'nt upset the Arum/Pac applecart either. Job done for josh !

Re: 2010 Boxing Thread Good weekend for me personally with the boxing bets. Would have followed you in on the Sam Peters tip too but I thought that fight was Saturday rather than Friday. :wall I missed the Devon Alexander V Juan Arango fight the other week, anyone got any feedback on it? :ok Also, well done to all those with winning bets on the boxing this weekend, just noticed we have a few new posters and they seem to have done well too. :clap

Re: 2010 Boxing Thread Cracking weekend all round!!!:clap Proves that people on here do know there stuff - even with a couple of losing bets they had the right idea and reasoning has been top notch!!! So many bets this weekend I will try and updaye the tables so the make a little better reading:)

Good weekend for me personally with the boxing bets. Would have followed you in on the Sam Peters tip too but I thought that fight was Saturday rather than Friday. :wall I missed the Devon Alexander V Juan Arango fight the other week, anyone got any feedback on it? :ok Also, well done to all those with winning bets on the boxing this weekend, just noticed we have a few new posters and they seem to have done well too. :clap
Graham Houston sums it up to a tee.... MOHEGAN SUN, CT, March 6 Devon%20drops%20%20Urango%20:%20DM%20Warr_0.jpg No MOHEGAN SUN, CT, March 6 Devon%20drops%20%20Urango%20:%20DM%20Warr_0.jpg DOWN goes Urango. / David Martin Warr, DKP We all knew that Devon Alexander had the boxing skill and ring savvy to outsmart and outscore Juan Urango, but few could have expected him to stop the immensely strong Colombian in Saturday’s 140-pound championship fight on HBO. Urango was right in the fight and making it highly competitive, although it was surprising that one judge had him in front. Then, as sometimes happens in a well-contested bout such as this, Alexander landed the perfectly timed punch that — in the blink of an eye — took Urango right out of the fight. As Max Kellerman pointed out in the commentary, what made Alexander’s win so impressive was that he did it in the manner of a true professional. He boxed and moved, but he also stood and fought. Alexander took risks to achieve success of the spectacular variety. At various points in this all-southpaw fight Alexander had been trying to time Urango for the right uppercut as the Colombian powerhouse leaned in to throw his hooks. Alexander landed some beauties, barely missed with others, but then, in the eighth, caught Urango exactly right. When Urango went down on his back it was reminiscent of the way he had been dropped by Randall Bailey in his last fight, but this time there was no recovery. Although he got up, Urango really didn’t have anything left. The second knockdown, which quickly followed, convinced referee Benjy Esteves that Urango should be rescued in one of those perfectly judged interventions. One had to feel sympathy for Urango, who had fought so well for seven rounds. His bursts of punches to the body were impressive and he was always dangerous with the right hook. Alexander showed a good chin, though, and, for the most part, a steely concentration. He mixed up his hit-and-move boxing with some rapid-fire combinations, bloodying Urango’s nose in the third round, but Urango looked as if he was going to keep chugging forward all night until that perfectly delivered uppercut simply blew him away. Last Updated: March 11, 2010 1:04am Copyright 2006 Graham Houston.