** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

2010 Boxing Thread

superfoo

Re: 2010 Boxing Thread Spot on post about Mayol and his boxing is at its peak at the moment - the over/under with the factors you mention seems to risky and tricky for me but I do fancy Mayol, just not sure Im willing to put my money where my mouth is yet as he is now BP 3/4.....But very tempted!

• Replies 967
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: 2010 Boxing Thread Marvin Sonsona v Wilfredo Vazquez Jr Real cracking fight in my opinion this one and credit to both boxers for putting their undefeated records on the line (1 draw apiece) and taking this. Questions are to be answered by both fighters which makes it even more intriguing. Vasquez has no amateur background and has been 'learning on the job' but has looked quite impressive though not truly tested and seems to have a bit of pop, having started a pro career to pay the bills. Sonsona on the other hand has a top pedigree from the amateurs and had looked like someone going places before his last fight. That was a lacklustre performance where he faded dramatically seeming weight drained. This is where it gets a little tricky as Sonsona moves up 2 weight divisions after losing his title on the scales and still coming 2+ lbs over. It is reported that the 19 year old grew 2 inches in height as well for the weigh in as well as naturally filling out - so the step up could well be justified. The thing is I think Sonsona will carry his power up and even if he doesnt I believe he is just a little bit faster and more technically aware of circumstances to adjust accordingly and win the fight in the way he feels is best. It could be that Sonsona just got a couple of good results but to be mentioned as the next Paquiou, if unrealistic at the moment, must carry some weight. Having seen the power of both fighters I just think Sonsona has a good defence where as Vasquez can tend to leave his out and can be slow to retreat after an offence which I think Sonsona can take advantage of. When this fight was announced I thought the books would make it even but fancied Sonsona. With odds of 6/4 instead of the expected 10/11 im going to addd 50% to my original intended stake. Recommended bet Sonsona bt Vasquez 60pts @ 6/4 BWIN

Re: 2010 Boxing Thread

14.25 pt loss. WD to Aaron. Pity about his lack of pop, cos he has some silky skills. Nice payday for the lad seeing as he's still part-time. Was looking at the Unders for Romero v Mayol. Nice price at 6/4 but was after a few more rounds than the 7.5 on offer. Controversy follows Mayol around recently. Has the most lethal head in boxing, and is'nt afraid to use it. He's shortened to 5/6 from an opening show of evens, and if no MOV line comes out, might just have a dabble. Fighting away in Mexico is always a big ask, but Roach has him tuned to perfection nowadays.
A bit of karma visits Mayol. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FNSJT40eNEA Saw your post over there foo :ok i was in broken biscuits mode when i got in, and could'nt get into PL. Anyhoo, stake refunded because of the technical draw. Might just give us better odds on Mayol for the rematch.:tongue2 He'd have stopped romero without that sucker punch.

10pts Martin Concepcion to beat Steve O' Meara. 11/10 various. Think this is a great price, Marts has been working very hard over the last couple of weeks for this and although O Mears has a promising record he hasnt faced anyone with much quality at all looking at his record. Concepcion has been in the ring with Hall, Price and a few others not at the level O'Meara has fought. The short style should suit him as well. 5 pts Neil Sinclair to win Prizefighter 4/1 Bet365 At peak the best fighter in the tournament, age catching up with him but again that might not matter too much in the shorter format, a lot of people expect the winner of Pryce/Sinclair to win the tournament and I would find it hard to argue that, making him the value bet. 5pts Danny Butler to win Prizefighter 13/2 Betandwin. Again, looking for a bit of value here, in the weaker half of the draw and probably the best fighter in the bottom section. Should beat Flourney and then stands a great chance in the semi whoever he fights, which would make the 13/2 a very good price indeed.
Think we can class that as a disaster. :D On a more serious note, can someone tell me how Dave Parris is still judging fights?? He delivered a shocking scorecard agaisnt Napa a few weeks ago and on friday night in the two split decisions he was the odd one out both times giving the decision the wrong way, werent even hard fights to score as well. It's a good job they had 3 judges instead of one as him putting through O Meara and Sinclair would have been a disgrace.

Re: 2010 Boxing Thread Anyone else think Malignaggi is crazy over-priced at 7/2 against Khan.. crazy odds like 11/1 on points and 28/1 for the KO... Malignaggi is a massive step up for Khan and I would love nothing more than to see his glass jaw get obliterated, but Malignaggi's a decent and smart fighter.. can see him using his jab to keep Khan at bay and take it on points

Anyone else think Malignaggi is crazy over-priced at 7/2 against Khan.. crazy odds like 11/1 on points and 28/1 for the KO... Malignaggi is a massive step up for Khan and I would love nothing more than to see his glass jaw get obliterated' date=' but Malignaggi's a decent and smart fighter.. can see him using his jab to keep Khan at bay and take it on points[/quote'] I think Malignaggi is overpriced to win the fight but I cant see him knocking Khan out, I dont think Paulie could knock my mother out. Not checked but I dont think he has stopped ten people in his career.

Sonsona did a no show there. Looked overawed' date=' tentative and got bullied pretty badly for a couple of rounds. Unlucky superfoo, horrible performance from Sonsona but a great body shot to end it[/quote'] Still not managed to catch the whole fight but it looks like that was the most 'off' prediction I have made - little disappointed but hey ho shite happens:) Will update tables at some point this week - not sure how good the reading will make though:$

Still not managed to catch the whole fight but it looks like that was the most 'off' prediction I have made - little disappointed but hey ho shite happens:) Will update tables at some point this week - not sure how good the reading will make though:$
Na, I think a lot of people had Sonsona winning that one.. hard to see that outcome but there were questions about his heart that will grow even louder now. It reminded me a bit of the finish of Ortiz-Maidana, just didn't look interested at all. It'll be a long way back but he is only 19 I suppose. Just seen James Toney has signed with the UFC.. :eyes

Na' date=' I think a lot of people had Sonsona winning that one.. hard to see that outcome but there were questions about his heart that will grow even louder now. It reminded me a bit of the finish of Ortiz-Maidana, just didn't look interested at all. It'll be a long way back but he is only 19 I suppose. Just seen James Toney has signed with the UFC.. :eyes[/quote'] Id read rumblings about his dedication in the gym and that he was a bit of an undisciplined wide boy but that seemed to pass. Also read about him gaining 2 inches in height from his previous fight when he lost his title on the scales and I semi justified it all to myself. Note to self is to always take a pinch of salt with these rumours as you never know what is fully true I guess.

Anyone else think Malignaggi is crazy over-priced at 7/2 against Khan.. crazy odds like 11/1 on points and 28/1 for the KO... Malignaggi is a massive step up for Khan and I would love nothing more than to see his glass jaw get obliterated' date=' but Malignaggi's a decent and smart fighter.. can see him using his jab to keep Khan at bay and take it on points[/quote'] I think the price is about fair to be honest. Malignaggi has only stopped 5 opponents and only 1 by ko so despite suspicions of Khans jaw cant really be considered in my opinion but I believe Paulie can punch harder than his record suggests and could hurt Khan if he catches him but Id be more inclined at the tko at 16s if you fancied a tickle. Hopefully go into this more at a later date.

Re: 2010 Boxing Thread Sh*tty price but I do fancy Alexander to handily beat Urango by decision this weekend. I think Urango is pretty limited and a skillful, quick boxer like Alexander should be able to handle him with ease in a similar manner to Berto and win a wide decision. What do you reckon? 1.73 available at the moment..

Re: 2010 Boxing Thread I agree - Alexander is one very well schooled,quick handed, technical southpaw with an excellent amateur pedigree of over 300 bouts & should win this comfortably on points although it will be interesting to see how he comes through this test. Urango, though short on technical ability, is teak tough & will come forward all night & hits hard with either hand but i see Alexander '' The Great'' running away with this one on the scorecards

Re: 2010 Boxing Thread Agree about Alexander on pts. Unless he gets unusually careless and Urango catches him flush, he should take this by a wide UD. Biggest test by far, for him though. Witter was half hearted in there, and Corley had seen better days. Urango will be there all night long, and won't be disheartened taking Devon's jab and pot shots. Extremely unlikely he stops the teak tough columbian by punch power, and even though Urango has had swollen eye damage during fights before, it'd take a brave ref to pull the fiercely proud warrior out, in a unification. Might be worth hanging on for 'exact method' lines to appear. Could be some even money about for the UD. Malignaggi would have a job sparking Khan with Margarito's gloves on imo. Thats why he's the chosen one. That 28/1 is for the KO mike, much better taking the slightly shorter for the TKO. One thing Khan does'nt lack is great heart. Be careful with that points wager also. You've quoted Paulie via unaminous decision only. No way that happens. In fact, no way Paulie takes any decision. Has to spark amir for the win.

Re: 2010 Boxing Thread Alexander v Urango Quite a bit written on this in previous posts and I have to agree with all of it, so dont want to elaborate too much. As said I think Alexander will use common sense and use his movement and speed to have Urango swinging and missing. Urango has a granite jaw so cant see him being stopped other than cuts or puffing up of his face as mentioned. Also wouldnt read too much into the Witter

Re: 2010 Boxing Thread .....KO as he wasnt at the races that night and also cited a plausible elbow injury. Presuming he doesnt get clipped with a hayemaker or any bad luck in running I really cant see any other outcome. Recommended bet 55 pts Alexander win by Dec. or TD 8/11 generally GH I think its Skybet who usually do exact method and all there other markets are up so Im not sure if they will put one out there now?

Re: 2010 Boxing Thread Yeah, I'm not sure we're going to get an exact method of victory market for this one. Usually only the bigger fights we get that for and although this is a unification bout it isn't a marquee fight. Alexander by decision down to 1.50 in places.. 1.73 still available at Betfred, StanJames and Skybet :hope Not seen him but from what I've read it doesn't look like Darchinyan's opponent is going to put up much of a challenge for the Raging Bull. His opponents' combined record reads 35-37-3 and Darchinyan should be a class above after blasting through Tomas Rojas last time out. 10pt Double D.Alexander to bt. J.Urango by Decision/V.Darchinyan to bt. R.Guerrero 1.90 StanJames

Re: 2010 Boxing Thread I had a look at todays bouts i.e saturdays - paddypower have got it pretty spot on with the prices but you can guarantee at least one upset today with the computer scoring eg. clear shots landing on target but not scoring !!! If i had to pick i would say there is a bet in Gary Molloy to pip Conor Ahern @ 13/8 Seen both these kids not too long ago, Ahern at the British in Liverpool 09, i reckon Molloy has his card marked

I had a look at todays bouts i.e saturdays - paddypower have got it pretty spot on with the prices but you can guarantee at least one upset today with the computer scoring eg. clear shots landing on target but not scoring !!! If i had to pick i would say there is a bet in Gary Molloy to pip Conor Ahern @ 13/8 Seen both these kids not too long ago, Ahern at the British in Liverpool 09, i reckon Molloy has his card marked
Good stuff andy ! Fancy Vic to go to town on the mexican, but it'd be a blind bet. No one knows anything about the guy, other than what they see on his record. I do know, he's WBC no 15, ( 12-14 in two other org's also) so he barely squeaked in as a world title challenger. Vic has to blow these types away, and he does'nt usually bother fathoming out styles etc. Steams in from the off normally. Took the under 6.5 for 10 pts.

Re: 2010 Boxing Thread I had a long look at the Darchinyan fight. All intents & purposes he should stop the Mexican, but i would be cautious with this one. Darchinyan is vulnerable to upset defeat i.e NONITO DONAIRE !!! - He was a unknown Phillipino fighter who wiped out the Armenian in devastating fashion. Also Darchinyan is at an advanced age for the lower weights (34) so it puts slight doubts in my mind. Style wise the Mexican is said to be a switch hitter & possibly quite fleet footed which will work to his advantage for a few rounds but eventually the Armenian should close him down & finish him off. But caution advised !!!!

Re: 2010 Boxing Thread Replied to your post yesterday andy, but it's disappeared.:unsure It's moot now, but donaire had plenty of Vegas experience and has franked his form since, with 4 tkos in 5 fights. Posted some quotes from guererro also, where he said he's a brawler and he would'nt box much. Was heartened by those comments playing an unders bet. As it turned out, Guererro displayed an immense chin etc, shipping hellacious punishment from darch'. Fair play to him, his heart was elite as it turned out. Hope other paydays arrive on the back of it. Still about 20 pts up for the year.

Re: 2010 Boxing Thread Do you bet on just boxing ??? That is all i bet on - i am quite new to it but have been following boxing,amateur & professional, as long as i can remember. I backed D.Alexander to win on points & was left feelin sore this morning when i saw the result !!! I would appreciate it if you, or anyone else for that matter, could give me some advice on stake sizes, money management etc. in order to improve my game:cash

Re: 2010 Boxing Thread Will get back to you mate. Yep that alexander tko damaged quite a few. Loads were on it, including in the paid ranks, and the price came in quite heavily. Was lucky to have swerved it. Big week coming up ! How did Molloy get on ?

Do you bet on just boxing ??? That is all i bet on - i am quite new to it but have been following boxing,amateur & professional, as long as i can remember. I backed D.Alexander to win on points & was left feelin sore this morning when i saw the result !!! I would appreciate it if you, or anyone else for that matter, could give me some advice on stake sizes, money management etc. in order to improve my game:cash
Bet the farm on Pacquiao... Clottey is a no-hoper. Don't be surprised if it's a late stoppage victory as Clottey's corner is very inexperienced bar Lenny De Jesus (former Pacquiao cutman), and they probably will wave it off in panic... Humberto Soto over David Diaz looks all set too