** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

2010 Boxing Thread

superfoo

Re: 2010 Boxing Thread

Gentleman Glen next up (two fights with Calzaghe mysteriously fell through at this end back in the day) in Nottingham, and another top, top night is in store.
I hope it's in Nottingham, Carl deserves it and it's logical. Rumours are though that the contracts say both semis are to be held in the US. If it is in the UK it's likely to be another 2am start, and I don't fancy another one of them after the Dirrel fight.

• Replies 967
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hope it's in Nottingham' date=' Carl deserves it and it's logical. Rumours are though that the contracts say both semis are to be held in the US. If it is in the UK it's likely to be another 2am start, and I don't fancy another one of them after the Dirrel fight.[/quote'] Papers today said Froch's next fight is in America in March. I said same thing about a 2am Nottingham start, I'd either give it a miss completely or try get a hotel. That night of the Dirrell fight was ridiculous, we walked into those services at about 5.30am like zombies. Haven't checked prices for super six winner, is Froch now favourite? I think he was about 11-2 at one point after the loss to Kessler.

Re: 2010 Boxing Thread On phone. max bet 100 points dimitrenko bt sosnowski 2/5 betfred. sos struggles with any movement and i only give him a punches chance of not being out clapped. dim has a decent chin. he doesn't like too much movement but sosnowski doesn't bring that. will put 4 points on dec as well 6/4 general. sorry for poor write up but am quietly confident on this one.

Re: 2010 Boxing Thread Burns Evensen tomorrow night Not seen too much of Evensen but he has had 14 fights mainly at the lower weights and is a come forward fighter should make it interesting for the first rounds before Burns takes over and gets the stoppage in the second half of the fight Burns stoppage 7-12 at 11/4

Re: 2010 Boxing Thread Huge weekend coming up, so i'll throw the first jab. Will be Posting in batches.. At last Khan faces off against a boxer without pillowcases for gloves. Team Khan have put off fighting this guy for at least 12 months, but Roach obviously feels he's primed to go. And Freddie knows this game inside out. The class and superior skillset all lie with Khan. Has come on a ton under Freddie's schooling, primarily the defence and a more disciplined approach. Pre-Freddie, this would have been an Argentinian lumping on in anyone's language. Maidana can bang with the best of them. His two wars with Ortiz and Cayo are must-see's. He takes as much as he gives, making for Superb action. Thats his game in a nutshell...marauding power, solid whiskers. The minuses are lack of speed, one dimensional reportoire, dodgy stamina after 3-4 rounds. TBC..

Re: 2010 Boxing Thread The layers know the score, and have Khan priced up at best 15/8 to be decked (5/4 elsewhere), when the same bet was 9/1 v's Paulie M. They've also Maidana, only 3/4 pt better off for the stoppage compared to SU odds. Khan has it in him to put on his very own 'Lacy-type' clinic, if he sticks to Roache's meticulous plan. Maidana is lethal in the opening quarter, probing to unleash, Khan to fight off the backfoot, utilising his superb jab and quicksilver handspeed firing out rapid combo's he's famed for. Cayo, who is very similar to khan, started the first 4 or 5 minutes of their fight, with this stratagy, and he looked good doing it...Then...........he was sucked into the firefight, which Maidana lives for. i'll post more, but no way can i back khan's whiskers at 1.33 at this level. Even his attractive MOV odds (11/2 UD )carry too much of a risk for mine. His price has shortened from the last time the fight was listed months ago..probably helped by Maidana looking so average aginst corley last time out. MM won't win by dec, so that leaves 3/1 via tko, ko, etc @ 3/1 unibet..3 pts. Would have been maximum a while back, so the stake has shortened in line with Khan's overall improvement.

Re: 2010 Boxing Thread Srongly fancy Ortiz to continue his rise back into contention..and a possible fight with khan next year. His stock took a serious dive, when he quit from the murderous punishment Maidana handed out a few fights ago. He fell into the trap of exchanging shot for shot with MM, and after seeing Maidana rise from the canvas on three occasions, to continue with the hellacious assault which resulted in Ortiz receiving a cut....he eventually bailed out of the fight with the ref's help. He takes on Lamont Peterson, who came up short when stepping up a level in his last bout. Can't see Peterson upsetting the applecart and 1.5 skybet for Ortiz is ok to utilise. Over in liverpool, Cleverley should see off the gritty Spanish veteran, Lakatos...but not without a few ugly altercations. The Spaniard to be fair, as hung with some top notch competition, but they were a few years ago. He has form for underhand tactics, and with cleverley relishing playing to the fans by ditching his skills when the action warms up...i'd have to take him to finsih this inside the schedule @ 2/5 sportbet. 5 pts @ 2.10...Playing a rolling double, hopefully Ortiz' odds hold up. 0.5 pt Macklin via retirement @ 18/1 skybet...Macklin should do this inside. Varon's been fighting cans since being pummelled by Szbik. Would'nt surprise at a corner pullout. Loads more to come...what say you?

Re: 2010 Boxing Thread Wladdy Klitschko vs Del Boy Chisora Chisora is a pressure fighter. Can fight on the move but looks awful doing it. Throws sloppy punches and has a terrible technique. His game is to put pressure on his opponent and grind them down. He has 14 fights and has never been beyond 10 rounds. Wladdy Klitschko is 4-5 inches taller and has a much longer reach. Chisora is going to need good head movement and good lateral movement to get inside and bang away at Klitschko. But the problem is that he will find some right hands waiting for him as tries to get inside. These punches are very very hard punches and they will be landing on Chisora regularly. Once Chisora takes a few, I expect him to realize that he can't take them all night so he'll stop taking chances to get inside and will get methodically and boringly taken apart. Will he last the distance? I'm not sure he can. If he can change his pressure style and move more, he might. But I'm taking Wlad to get him out of there. Klitschko by KO/TKO 4/11 boylesports Amir Khan vs Marcos Maidana I thought Khan would take this fight a few months ago and he has the talent and skill level to do it. Maidana is a HUGE banger though and this should really only take one solid punch from Maidana. At the odds, I'll take Maidana. He seems like the kind of guy who won't be discouraged. He can be outboxed but will always believe in his power and like I said, he only has to touch Khan once. Khan will have to fight a perfect fight to win. Maidana KO/TKO 3/1 betfred Victor Ortiz vs Lamont Peterson 1/2 won't hold. I expect 1/3 on fightnight. Ortiz should take this... Lamont is the least skilled of the brothers and gets hit too much. I expect Ortiz to blast him out actually but I'll just take the 1/2 availabe for the win because I am having bad luck with prop bets lately. Ortiz 1/2 skybet. Frank Gavin, Matthew Macklin both should take their contests by KO/TKO at 2/9 and 1/4 with boylesports respectively. Cleverly to beat Lakatos but be careful taking Clev to win ITD because Lakatos is a tough customer. James Degale vs Paul Smith James Degale should completely outclass Paul Smith from the first bell. This guy is the best prospect in world boxing. An absolute treat to watch. The way he switches stance and maintains his high guard and silky punching from all angles is a joy to behold. Smith is in for a hiding here. He will try to maul his way to victory but is going to get hit by very hard counters that he won't see coming. He is a tough customer so I can't say Degale will stop him but it will be sheer domination. I think Degale will go on to rule the 168 pound division in the next 2 years. James Degale 2/9 willhill Bomber Bellew vs Ovil McKensie Bomber should take this one by KO. McKensie won prizefighter and is decent at this level but he is up against a guy who has world class power in either hand. I think Bomber has world class power but british/european level skills. Bomber will come forward at McKensie, who will have no problems returning fire. McKensies problem is his stamina.. I'm not confident he can go 12 hard rounds. I expect Bomber to catch him at get him out of there at some point. Bomber by KO 4/6 skybet

Re: 2010 Boxing Thread A superb bantamweight tourney kicks off in the USA. Probably the most stacked weight going, with several crackin' fighters plying their trade. Montiel and Donaire pencilled in for early next year to add to the mix, but the four combatants matched this w/end sets the pulses racing. Abner Mares @ 1.50 can't be ignored. Smashing odds for this class act. Has a whirling dirvish in tough aussie Vic Darch' to navigate, but stuck him in a tasty double with Ortiz.. Mares & Ortiz double @ 2.25...10 pts skybet. Darchinyan ITD @ 3/1..3 pts same firm....Worth having a saver given vic's power. Not been as murderous at this added weight, but that power has to be respected.

Re: 2010 Boxing Thread Nice to see Mundine get starched ....:lol The biggest con job in the sport bites the dust. But, another example of bookies being our best mates at times. Huge 25% interest available for a 3 month wait. Holyfield feasts on great dane :unsure Brian Neilson. Evander ancient, but Neilson in his prime would have a job with him even now. Has'nt fought for 9 years...but finances are bad according to the danish press, and despite a dicky knee is taking the hall of famer on for a massive payday. Read something sad about the sport the other day...The Williams/Martinez, Marquez/Diaz, Rafael/Lopez and Ward/Bika fights combined 'live' gate's, came in below the Haye/Aud fiasco. :cry

Nice to see Mundine get starched ....:lol The biggest con job in the sport bites the dust. But, another example of bookies being our best mates at times. Huge 25% interest available for a 3 month wait. Holyfield feasts on great dane :unsure Brian Neilson. Evander ancient, but Neilson in his prime would have a job with him even now. Has'nt fought for 9 years...but finances are bad according to the danish press, and despite a dicky knee is taking the hall of famer on for a massive payday. Read something sad about the sport the other day...The Williams/Martinez, Marquez/Diaz, Rafael/Lopez and Ward/Bika fights combined 'live' gate's, came in below the Haye/Aud fiasco. :cry
bet365 are making a huge mistake. Holyfield will be about 1/20 on fight night. The 1/4 is HUGE.

Re: 2010 Boxing Thread Great to see Mundine get embarrassed. I liked how Woods dealt with Mundine getting in his face and doing a lot of trash talking pre fight

Mundine talks a big game but light punching Sven Ottke put him to sleep a few years ago and now a 10 fight novice has embarrassed him live on Australian TV.

Great to see Mundine get embarrassed. I liked how Woods dealt with Mundine getting in his face and doing a lot of trash talking pre fight
Mundine talks a big game but light punching Sven Ottke put him to sleep a few years ago and now a 10 fight novice has embarrassed him live on Australian TV.
Short but great viewing ! The shot that puts him away is virtually 'the invisible punch' in boxing circles. Many fine fighters have fell victim to the temple shot. Probably the most under-rated, but lethal shot in the game, the way it fcuks up the eqibilirum. We all go on about Khan's chin, but it's his whole noggin thats at risk. Maidana throws plenty of wide hooks that catch the temple/back of the head area's. Saturday's ref, Cortez verbally warned him several times in the Cayo bout...i wonder if he'll be as lenient for Oscar's boy? Cayo and the corner were going ballistic with cortez about it. Khan has been down in the pro's from a temple shot...was it Limmond? The 'Berbick dance' he performed in the am's was deffo caused by a temple shot.

Re: 2010 Boxing Thread Winnable fight for Khan...but not with my cash. A coming-out fight for DeGale. Fair play to him for taking Smith on, in his home town. He'll breeze into the top ten rankings of at least two/three major bodies with the win. Frank trusts him and is prepared to sacrifice Smigga to do it. He has'nt developed the way Warren expected in the pro game, and should be put to the sword by the gifted deGale. Smith earning a healthy sum, so everyone's happy. DeGale via TD @ 33/1 skybet ..0.25 pt. his foe cuts easy and Degales punches will be finding the mark. Maybe more on that fight..hanging on for the weigh in etc. Clev's new opponent likes to come out swinging...18/1 for:dude the stoppage??

Winnable fight for Khan...but not with my cash. A coming-out fight for DeGale. Fair play to him for taking Smith on, in his home town. He'll breeze into the top ten rankings of at least two/three major bodies with the win. Frank trusts him and is prepared to sacrifice Smigga to do it. He has'nt developed the way Warren expected in the pro game, and should be put to the sword by the gifted deGale. Smith earning a healthy sum, so everyone's happy. DeGale via TD @ 33/1 skybet ..0.25 pt. his foe cuts easy and Degales punches will be finding the mark. Maybe more on that fight..hanging on for the weigh in etc. Clev's new opponent likes to come out swinging...18/1 for:dude the stoppage??
I wouldn't be surprised to see Maidana get DQd for clubbing Khan in the back of the head. Cortez won't be letting them fight inside. He's getting paid handsomely by Oscar and knows what is expected of him if he wants future work. Oscar holds a lot of sway in boxing. However, Khan just seems too fragile to get through a fight with a tough hard puncher like Maidana. It's not just the head shots, Maidana has folded people in half with body shots. Degale is far too classy for Smith, I agree. I'm not sold on Clev, but surely he will take care of this chap. The guy looks wide open and has been done in one. Clev isn't the smartest of fighters though and could well walk onto one while he goes forward. 18/1... worth a tiny play I think. Victor Ortiz has been cut to 2/5 from 1/2. Still fantastic value there. I think the bantamweight fights are too close to call. Perez beat Agbeko last time but the knockdown helped and Agbeko was coming on strong before that contentious call. It will be another barnburner of a fight though and could well go the distance again. I'm not sold on Mares and Darchinyan could detonate one on him and put him away. However, Marez could take the shots and outwork him. Or maybe he will get put down a few times and make it the distance and lose to Darchinyan on points. I can't bet on those fights, but I'll download them for sure. Great night of boxing really. Well worth the sky box office fee. The annoying thing about SBO lately though.. they put adds on between the rounds. This is criminal.

Re: 2010 Boxing Thread Jib ITD @ 29/1 paddies...0.1 pt :rollin Had to tickle that. The guy will lap his entrance up if nothing else. An ego the size of Birkenhead, but Clev should cut him down to size easy enough. N'er'the'less, the welshman can be wide open...ridiculous odds for this outcome. agree about Cortez. Won't allow Khan to be manhandled inside. Hatton was jumped on every time against Floyd. Thats not saying he ruined ricky's chances btw. I can envisage Maidana getting frustrated in this fight, and if he's not done the business inside the first stanza, his stamina is poor and would be a concern. Better odds available for Mares, and huge Vic tko 9/2 by every boxing fans fave firm :lol but stakes are limited for most of us.

Re: 2010 Boxing Thread Have to be quick unfortunately, apologies. No stakes as its small for me at the minute but some thoughts........ Maidana is value, can bang, crude, Khan's chin might be tested tonight and if he does land I can see Con doing his chicken dance again, anything near 3/1 has to be taken... I think Ovil McKenize is a cracking price to beat Bellow, Bellow was pretty poor last time out and a repeat of that sees him beat here, these two absolutely fcuking hate each other as well, was at ringside for Booth V Marsh and Ovil won a fight on the undercard and Bellow was with 2 of his mates in front of me and they making cut throat gestures at him and calling him all sorts, Ovill wanted to go at home there and then, could be a cracker. Shinfield has been bigging up Ovil bigtime for this one and he doesnt usually do that. De Gale - still think he is going to face an unexpected defeat at some point, might not be tonight but a good scrap this, certainly wont be short and I hope Smith can take him into the trences so we can learn a bit more about De Gale.

Re: 2010 Boxing Thread Cracking set of action tonight, going to be brief as Im making a few selections. Brook v Kotey - either win Rounds 7-12 5/2 Skybet 10pts Pretty much a foregone conclusion for Brook this so action on when he does it. Brook went through a spell of blasting through domestic opposition but the Ghanan has only been stopped once, though the level of opposition is poor. Hopefully it will take a while to get into his stride and Kotey carries a high guard:hope. Surely Brook will overwhealm but think the African could be quite durable and take him into the second half of the fight.

Re: 2010 Boxing Thread DeGale v Smith Good fight this one and we should be able to see the level Degale is at. Smith could well take DeGale to the trenches and its highly unlikely DeGale will have it all his own way as he has in the past. Credit to DeGale and Smith for taking the fight - shows they are both confident imo. My hunch is that DeGale will edge it but the odds on Smith seem too large. Smiths cuts are a worry but his corner have always got him through in the past. Recommended bets 5pts Smith win by stoppage 9/1 Bet365 5pts Smith by Dec/TD 12/1 SportingBet 10 pts over 8.5 rounds 9/10 Sporting Bet

Re: 2010 Boxing Thread 10 pts Cleverly stop Mohammedi 7-12 21/10 Sybet Cleverlys punching power seems to have come on leaps and bounds over the last couple of years but doubt he will be blasting through his French opponent early. Fancy Cleverly to wear his man down and take a TKO in the 2nd half of the fight or a corner stoppage. Cleverly likes to please his fans so I guess he will be trying for the stoppage until the final bell - if it goes that far.

Re: 2010 Boxing Thread 10pts Perez bt Agbeko Dec/TD 11/10 SportingBet Expect this to pan out quite like the first fight, a close encounter but with the same result. Perez brings a serious work rate and is likely he will outwork his opponent - hopefully without gassing late on like he did in his last fight.

Re: 2010 Boxing Thread 5pts Maidana bt Khan Rds 1-3 10/1 Betfred Just an interest really for this one. Fancy Khan to do the job in reality but with those dodgy whiskers not willing to play the outright at 1/3. Much has been made of Maidanas power but I think Khan can hit just as hard. Maidana pretty much knows he needs to stop Khan for the win and expect him to come out blazing. He can cut the ring quite well and the bet provides a bit of excitement early doors.

Re: 2010 Boxing Thread 8pts Bellew v McKenzie under 5.5 7/4 Skybet This one could be a barnburner and dont think either will be difficult to find and I suspect they both may just opt to slug it out. Apparently a touch of bad blood between the two to boot. May be a little ambitious with this play but its the biggest price and I fancy the stoppage.

Re: 2010 Boxing Thread Darchinyan v Mares VDs reputation took a hit when he moved up to Bantam and was outpointed by Agbeko. Dont think it was the step up in weight though and he may have been a little complacent. Interestingly VD seemed maybe the bigger at the weigh in, Mares has done nothing wrong in his career so far but looked a little intimidated early in the fight with Perez and would likely have dropped the decision if Perez hadnt run out of sap in the last few rounds. I see this as a 50/50 fight but I doubt Mares will have experienced the crafty pressure that Darchinyan will bring (Perez is more of a straight forward pressure). Darchinyan also has power and has been the distance enough times to prove his fitness, he also has under-rated boxing skills. 2/1 outright seems generous for a two weight champion who will again at the very least give his all and a good run for your money. Better odds available by playing the books as well. 10 pts Darchinyan bt Mares stoppage 9/2 SportingBet 10 pts Darchinyan bt Mares Dec/TD 6/1 BET365

Re: 2010 Boxing Thread Macklin ITD V Varon 1/4 Boyles Ortiz bt Peterson 2/5 4Opts Double - pays 70 (1.75) Varon is not the strongest puncher so I cant see Macklin being deterred too much. Light hitter Zbik pasted and stopped him and he has been stopped twice in his last 7. Surely Macklin gets his opponent out within the 12. Much the same applies to Ortiz. Sure Peterson went the distance with Bradley but was convincingly beaten. See Ortiz bringing too much for Peterson and if he is going places after the Maidana setback he simply has to get past opposition such as Peterson. Could be a late stoppage but will play safe and stick with the outright in the double.

Re: 2010 Boxing Thread Fair play to Khan. Highlighted the standout 11/2 for his UD ^, but Maidana via stoppage was THE value. Drifted to 7/2 with skybet. Crackin w/end for the sport, notably from over the pond :clap Just under 8.5 pts down. Bellow is going nowhere on the world stage, but at least Frankie has Degale and Gavin, and Cleverley should win a version at some point. Shumenov v Brahmaer unification in January. All over Shum' for that one.

Fair play to Khan. Highlighted the standout 11/2 for his UD ^, but Maidana via stoppage was THE value. Drifted to 7/2 with skybet. Crackin w/end for the sport, notably from over the pond :clap Just under 8.5 pts down. Bellow is going nowhere on the world stage, but at least Frankie has Degale and Gavin, and Cleverley should win a version at some point. Shumenov v Brahmaer unification in January. All over Shum' for that one.
Great performance by Khan, he got the job done. I had him winning the fight by 2 points on my card. He showed amazing heart in the 10th round. The fight went the way I thought it would. I thought Maidana would have some hairy moments.. maybe even getting dropped.. but then turn it around and land flush on Khan. He did that in the 10th round and landed some really amazing punches directly on the chin of Khan. How he took them and survived the round I am not sure, considering much lesser punchers have had him on the deck but what an amazing show of heart. Its an important fight for gamblers too because Khan has shown he can take flush punches from one of the pound for pound hardest punchers in boxing. (Again, I wonder how he got that punch resistance all of a sudden...). Also Khan has shown tremendous survival skills and resilience. He is now a stronger betting proposition against the other top fighters in his division. Looks like we all got done on the Ortiz fight. How did he throw that one away? Some recovery on Bomber eh? On that second knockdown he looked like he just got shot and then he gets straight back up as if nothing happened. Some real vulnerabilities on show there though. He won't get to the top level of the game. Degale was awesome as usual. Easy work. Degale vs Froch this year??? I'd take Degale to win that one!! Also agree on Shumenov.. the fight is on in Kazakstan and Braemer is highly regarded so we might get decent odds on Shu. Fancy Lebedev to do Huck this week as well.

Re: 2010 Boxing Thread I'd want at least 3/1 for DeGale over Froch...No where near ready for the caveman imo. The cobra would laugh at those slaps and treat him like a very naughty boy, by either giving him the raw, agricultural 12 round treatment at this level, or putting him in his place within the allotted 12. I get the gist of your Khan comments and i agree...The Wild Card 'set up' is er....from another planet? Bomber will be another Smigga...has found his level. 'Vicious' Vic has to lose that moniker, because since Maidana shattered his will, the killer instinct has gone. Prepared to box more now, but he miscalculated badly at the w/end. Bollo*ed my double up which would have put me in profit. I like Lebedov too, his odds have come in, not surprisingly. Being in Germany, feel a stoppage is his best option though to make absolutely sure. Any opinions on Lindsay v simpson? Lindsay for me, but crabby odds, as it is for the expected 'over'.

Re: 2010 Boxing Thread Cloud 15/8 to see off Zuniga in 1-6 ? Christ knows how Zuniga has got a shot for the title. Two meaningless winning bouts against serial loser opponents at light heavy. Has been stopped early twice at his usual 168 limit. Should be a few stoppages this w/end with Solis etc...Am already on Pascal pts.