2010 Boxing Thread

superfoo

Re: 2010 Boxing Thread Martinez ITD @ 7/4 corals...3 pts. The only book still holding this price. The other's have been cut to 6/4. Was 5/2 on early shows, another example of taking the earlies(and posting it in advance) as the best value policy. Martinez receives good, solid, press, and he has earned his kudos, but he's not the machine the scribes make him out to be. Gets hit too frequently, to become an elite name, but he does deliver VFM in his matches, for the punter/viewer. Has a measured and patient approach to his work, preferring to weigh up his oppo', before sitting down on his shots. Was behind, and wobbled, against a decent performing Cooke early on, before unleashing a terrific fight-ending climax. Burns is a capable well schooled fighter, with little dig in his gloves, but this a huge step up in competition for the Scot.. he'll have to fight from the outside for the majority of the 12, to get any joy from the fight imo. Can't see the supremely fit Martinez not catching him at some point, whether early or late, it does'nt matter to the 'love to fight' Puerta Rican. He's mentioned the homeboy decision risk in interviews, so he wont be content to leave this to the judges. Will be a sizzling atmosphere at one of THE great British fight venues. You can stick the arena's up yer jacksie.

• Replies 967
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: 2010 Boxing Thread

Will the Chorley massive be out for this, foo :tongue2 Legendary train journey's.:D Lol car journey for me this time!!! Fear for Mike, with the classic 'changing of the guard' type situation, that so often inevitably comes around in boxing. Would love him to pull it off, and he'll have our support, but can't see it. Has been pure class, in and out of the ring at domestic/euro level. Gutted about Rhodes pulling out, along with Barker. These things happen though, and it's pitiful to have a dig at Warren. WTF.
Deffo hear what you are saying but mick is seriously up for this, no payday cod, hes going to win, hope to hell he can do it!!! (and if this fight is cancelled it wont be on Micks behalf, the knuckles etc are as good as they will get)!!! Spoke to him when picking up tickets, had standard conversation ending up with 'hope you do it man' looked me straight in the eye and said he would...but what serious boxer wouldnt. Share the same fears tbh GH. Michael had a seriously decent amateur career and would have had a good chance of going to Olympics but timescales were all wrong for him (ie the 4 years wait with bread to sort). He lacks the serious pop, though this got better with age and though his chin may not seem suspect with his record I do have concerns ( as much as he may say not, but I remember Darkulic (sp) hurting him). Pryce had him seriously hurt in the first and last, he came through. Then there was Cotto who he claims didnt buzz him too much but the body shots were like pain never experienced (part of my problem with WBO/0/1records' and Warren). All that aside Mick is above anyone Brook has faced before, his best win maybe against Morrison. He will never have met anyone who can box like Mick can and to be fair is pretty untested in his pro career, Bienas from his last fight has an impressive record but look at his negative record of oppponents and aint too impressive. The massive question here is if Mick can take the touted Brooks punch! IF he can, he can outbox Brook (though he aint got your average mans pleasing style as he is one more for the purists, which may not always be pleasurable to the judges or the neutral fan fo that matter). Mick will always be in peak condition and if he can keep Brooks early shots off it will be interesting to see if Brook can handle going deep (never been past 6) especially considering the fact that Brook has been out and got cocky/drunken? with charges brought against him. Many insiders see this as a maybe competitive 50/50 fight but I think all this relies on Micks ability to absorb Kells shots, so say I call it 70/30 I still think the 4/1 s pretty big and therefore going to top up on the 10 points put on previously, lol I guess Im begging for a free night. In all seriousness though 4/1 against an untested opponent which his second toughest fight was against a prizefighter, I think is good value. Kell may well live up to the hype but until he does, Im taking 20 pts total general at 4s(at the mo, may have a couple beers and invest more on the night). Big value for me for him to be the biggest dog on the card besides Dilks. Incidentally to people on here with a neutral view believe he was beat by Muttley? Rhodes is another disappointment but you say not to blame Frank but everyone knew this card would fall apart and Barker stopped selling tickets nigh on a month ago so he knew man. Two Euro titles pulling out of same card and I bet theres more to come and lets not forget the Gavin/Woodhouse was shelved after announcements, so thats 3. I cant believe he didnt know. For the record as well the last time Brook pulled out Jennings found out after he was informed there was 2 pages worth of information on Hattons forum, sucks if you ask me. To clarify I dont blame Frank and I would do the same considering the circumstances but dont BS unnecessarily, just keep yer gob shut rather than say its all good when you know its not.

Martinez ITD @ 7/4 corals...3 pts. The only book still holding this price. The other's have been cut to 6/4. Was 5/2 on early shows, another example of taking the earlies(and posting it in advance) as the best value policy. Martinez receives good, solid, press, and he has earned his kudos, but he's not the machine the scribes make him out to be. Gets hit too frequently, to become an elite name, but he does deliver VFM in his matches, for the punter/viewer. Has a measured and patient approach to his work, preferring to weigh up his oppo', before sitting down on his shots. Was behind, and wobbled, against a decent performing Cooke early on, before unleashing a terrific fight-ending climax. Burns is a capable well schooled fighter, with little dig in his gloves, but this a huge step up in competition for the Scot.. he'll have to fight from the outside for the majority of the 12, to get any joy from the fight imo. Can't see the supremely fit Martinez not catching him at some point, whether early or late, it does'nt matter to the 'love to fight' Puerta Rican. He's mentioned the homeboy decision risk in interviews, so he wont be content to leave this to the judges. Will be a sizzling atmosphere at one of THE great British fight venues. You can stick the arena's up yer jacksie.
Cracking post and saved me a job. Like Martinez himself am concerned a touch about a home decision but wont happen I dont think and 2/7 (only one book) aint a play for me but maybe considered for an accy, generally a singles man but can be pursuaded:) Either way going to climb on this 7/4 but combine it with Molitors 10/3 with SJ for a double KO over the Brits (patriotsim can certainly offer value), further justification to follow as Ive opted for a single on the Canadian at 2/5 - again maybe to be doubled. Will justify Molitor in a while but taking the 2/5 for outright and doubling the double ko. Funny you should menton early prices and posts early enough to back them up. No ggod paostibg up I took XXX last week only to be half the price when you post. Discusse with you how I fancied Smith but because 6/4 was pretty general thought Id wait til close up for any late developments. Tough tittie Si as the money is now5/4 but Im happy to go with the money re-enforcing my opinion, going to justify in a mo but for now on this Martinez at the price. Recommended bet 10 pts 7/4 Martinez ITD 7/4 Corals

Re: 2010 Boxing Thread Smith v Simpson The undercard bout here seems to harness more interest than the main event. Not seen too much of Smith (5 rounds tops) but am willing to go with the 'expert' opinions and genuine amateyr pedigree. Several pundits believe him to be the best in the family and Tony 'Bomber' Bellew virtually jizzes over the kid. Seems exhume confidence and has publicly requested this for the past year. He seems quick and accurate but Simpson is a proven warrior and both camps are confident. Can see Smith boxing smartly early doors but will be in uncharted territories after the 8th. Going a lot on hearsay here but I know the Souse community has seriously high hopes and hopefully will be a coming out party. I know GH pretty sweet with Simpson but Im ready for the hype and will play accordingly. Simpson has been the 12 round distance 5 times and not won one. Truscott gave problems for Simpson early doors and imo was in front in the first (may be getting confused tbh) before Simpson was willing to go through the relatively light handed Gerordie/Mackem? :unsure Missed the 6/4 with the piddling but will try and gain back with 2/1 on the points. Reccomended bet Smith bt Simpson 40pts 5/4 general 10 pts Smith bt Simpson pts 11/5 Sporting Bet

Re: 2010 Boxing Thread Molitor v Booth Sure we will all be behind Booth in this one but logic should take over. Molitor is a world class operator, beaten only when only overcome by the powerful onslaught the seriously under rated Cabellero brought. Booth has had his demons to overcome but at his lowest ebb to quote himself was picking cans out of the gutter in a morning. To come back from that is something but he is somewhat lucky to be in this position outside the streets. He has had a relatively easy ride re wins as I had Marsh coming on strong in their fight only for cut interference and as some would say the light punching Londoner had him down. Molitor doesnt punch the hardest but makes each count when not faced with masssive pressure. Booth claims to have the blueprint though knowing the task of his life is front of him after cornering his gutsy little brother but I fancy a similar result. Reccomended bets 50 pts Molitor bt Booth 2/5 bwin 6pts Molitor stop Booth 10/3 SJ

Re: 2010 Boxing Thread As alluded to in a post above willing to take on the Brithish title challengers to get stopped. No massive confidence due to Burns chin and on the other score Molitors lack of one punch power. Either way inflated odds due to patriotism wont last. SJ prices up the double stoppage at 10.83. Both Brits taking a massive climb in class and a speculative bet at a decent non nationalistic price seems reasonable. Double up Martinez (now 6/4) and Molitor (10/3) ITD @ 10.83 SJ 5pts

Re: 2010 Boxing Thread GHs comments on early shows has made me think. If you have a serios fancy jump on early!!! This week I have been done by Smitha and I saw Couture first roud stoppage @2s with SportingBet- only way it was going to go imo (aftertimig I know) but by the time I got home it was 8/11 so didnt do it - in fact was a finger click away from round 2 just for value later but left it. Point is if you fancy it, go with your instict (note to self more than anyone else). But there is no point coming on saying I took 4/1 last week when BP is now 7/4. Lets give ourselves a chance to snatch that value while it is there because some books can seriously screw up early prices though you have got to be quick!!!!

Re: 2010 Boxing Thread Kudos to Pulio for pointing out Maidanas limitations though I cant argue with the win against Corley, especially with the knockdown but he was in a way exposed. Be interesting the impact it will have on the kHAN FIGHT IN December should he take it. Its a fight could benefit from as people want him tho fight him and its a fight Khan could look good in as I think a Khan KO is a distinct possibility. But then again I could never back khan without a saver on him being sparrked. Be

I just noticed Paddy Power have Martinez ITD at 5/4. They then have fight NOT to go the distance 11/8. This is surely a much better bet or am I missing out on something? (considering you have both fighters covered in the latter bet???)
Don't really know whats going on there. I've backed martinez itd @ 6/4 stanjames. Burns has never been stopped but he has never mixed it at this level before. Martinez by late stoppage (8-10 rds). :hope

Don't really know whats going on there. I've backed martinez itd @ 6/4 stanjames. Burns has never been stopped but he has never mixed it at this level before. Martinez by late stoppage (8-10 rds). :hope
Yup, went up to laddies there, got 6/4 on Fight not to go the distance. Happy enough to take that.

Re: 2010 Boxing Thread 10pts Martinez by KO/TKO 6-4 Paddypower Saw Martinez at the MEN when he beat Cook and looked fairly decent then, unbeaten and has 2 KO's and a TKO from his last 3 fights. I don't think Burns is good enough for this fight, too many of his fights go to points, he lacks a knockout punch and losing to fighters like Carl Johanneson makes me feel he is definitely not world class (no disrespect to Johanneson). I can see it going to the middle rounds while Martinez works out his opponent but he'll wear him down and then knock him out. Never saw the earlier posts so missed the better prices but didn't want the 1-4 for the outright and don't see this going 12 rds.

Smith v Simpson The undercard bout here seems to harness more interest than the main event. Not seen too much of Smith (5 rounds tops) but am willing to go with the 'expert' opinions and genuine amateyr pedigree. Several pundits believe him to be the best in the family and Tony 'Bomber' Bellew virtually jizzes over the kid. Seems exhume confidence and has publicly requested this for the past year. He seems quick and accurate but Simpson is a proven warrior and both camps are confident. Can see Smith boxing smartly early doors but will be in uncharted territories after the 8th. Going a lot on hearsay here but I know the Souse community has seriously high hopes and hopefully will be a coming out party. I know GH pretty sweet with Simpson but Im ready for the hype and will play accordingly. Simpson has been the 12 round distance 5 times and not won one. Truscott gave problems for Simpson early doors and imo was in front in the first (may be getting confused tbh) before Simpson was willing to go through the relatively light handed Gerordie/Mackem? :unsure Missed the 6/4 with the piddling but will try and gain back with 2/1 on the points. Reccomended bet Smith bt Simpson 40pts 5/4 general 10 pts Smith bt Simpson pts 11/5 Sporting Bet
I know you don't blow your own bugle so i'll do it for you. Sound punting ! As a neutral, i thought Simpson edged it by 2. Chuffed to have swerved him though. I don't know the background for the Hills' shifts in odds, but they were out of whack with the other firms. What did it end up at? Incidentally, who's that last paragraph in post *665 aimed at ? Agree pakelly, crackin stuff from Burns. Martinez a tad hyped (as mentioned above), but a top display from the Scot.

interestin to see the markets. Out of curiosity Pulio how would you price up Khan/Maidana and what would you be happy woth before opening shows?
When a Khan/Maidana fight was touted for his US debut back in January, a Yank firm had him priced @ 1.67 over Maidana's 2.30 ! Would expect similar or even shorter for Khan, given Maidana's struggle with Corley, if the fight comes off. Aye, i'd consider it irresponsible gambling, if the insurance of the argie by stoppage, was'nt part of the betting stratagy.

interestin to see the markets. Out of curiosity Pulio how would you price up Khan/Maidana and what would you be happy woth before opening shows?
Hey mate, people will disagree I'd have Khan vs Maidana priced up as follows.. Khan 8/13 Maidana 13/8 Maidana has a real punchers chance but Khan has the speed and POWER to keep him honest in a way Victor Ortiz wasn't able to do. Roach will have the ideal gameplan and Khan will be more than able to do it. Maidana has been in tough fights with Corley and Kotelnik (which he officially lost). He is so basic and Khan has many more dimensions to his game. The worry is Khans chin but I would be on Khan if it happens. Maidana hasn't got the best chin or stamina himself. As for how the bookies will price it up? I reckon we will see Khan around the 4/5 mark. If that Corley fight hadn't happened, Maidana would have been priced up as favourite. I know this is a minority view but I think I am right.

When a Khan/Maidana fight was touted for his US debut back in January, a Yank firm had him priced @ 1.67 over Maidana's 2.30 ! Would expect similar or even shorter for Khan, given Maidana's struggle with Corley, if the fight comes off. Aye, i'd consider it irresponsible gambling, if the insurance of the argie by stoppage, was'nt part of the betting stratagy.
Missed this post.. Yeah, thats how I think the fight should be priced up NOW but before the Corley fight those odds are surprising. Maidana by KO is a definite possibility as we all know but Khan is better than him in every department other than chin and punch power.

Re: 2010 Boxing Thread Seriously impressive from Burns:clapQuite happily see my money hit the pan with that performance, blueprint was there though at tasty odds. Fair bit of controversy with the Swifty fight (i gave it him by one) but was very unsure. Some seriouas 50/50 rounds but the fight was sisnt live up to the hype imo.

Anyone embarassed for Audley watching him talking about beating Haye at the press conference? He is way past it and' date=' as much as i hate to see him continue to look average then come back for more, i can see nothing but a good beating for him.[/quote'] I'd be suprised if this fight goes past 2 rounds.

Re: 2010 Boxing Thread Strange this man but Ive got a weird feeling that something bizarre could happen, not going to go as far to say Audley will win as I seriously cant justify it. The way Audley talks (I dont think hes deluded, just has a dream that has never materialised) and the the way Haye talks - Haye is now of the opinion he is way below and probably knows he is. Its well documented that Haye owned him in sparring as well, could Haye maybe underentismate Audley, maybe? Will he under preapare, not likely considering what is at stake but I just find all the circumstances, timing etc all a bit strange. I maybe in the minority but its a fight I want to see:)

Re: 2010 Boxing Thread Fraudley Harrison is going to get his ass whooped. He won a very average Olympic gold and then believed the hype. A mate worked at a firm that represented him and he met him soon after his victory. Said at the time he wouldn't be surprised if Audley never made it big as he already thought he had it made, and wouldn't therefore put in the work to ensure progression to be champ of the world. Well his words have proved pretty prophetic and further to that Audley, has been proved to lack the skills to compete at the highest level. Haye on the other hand, has "it". His performances mean any arrogance is justified, and he has the intelligence and wit to engage in verbal battles. He works and trains extremly hard, has a great trainer and manager, and will hopefully get his chance against a Klitschko. Harrison will be dealt with very quickly, 3 rounds tops, and the great Fraudley will surely disappear off into the sunset, Olympic gold around his neck.

Well his words have proved pretty prophetic and further to that Audley' date=' has been proved to lack the skills to compete at the highest level.[/quote'] Not sure of my views on this fight yet but I disagree with that. Audley has all the skills to compete at the highest level. What he hasn't got is a set of balls. He took a fair bit of tap in that Sprott fight though so who knows maybe it's there after all. One thing I do know is if that left hook detonates I don't care how good Haye is it's thanks for coming and lights out Mr Haye.

Not sure of my views on this fight yet but I disagree with that. Audley has all the skills to compete at the highest level. What he hasn't got is a set of balls. He took a fair bit of tap in that Sprott fight though so who knows maybe it's there after all. One thing I do know is if that left hook detonates I don't care how good Haye is it's thanks for coming and lights out Mr Haye.
I agree with you about that left hook kev. Afterall, audley is 2 stone heavier than haye and if he detonates he can hurt haye. We need to remember that sprott was ahead on the scorecards when harrison found that big punch. I don't believe he has the skills at 39 to cause haye problems and can see haye blowing him away like he did big enzo. If this fight goes past 7 i'll streak through PL. So, you better all pray for an early night cos thats not a sight you want to see. :moon

I know you don't blow your own bugle so i'll do it for you. Sound punting ! As a neutral, i thought Simpson edged it by 2. Chuffed to have swerved him though. I don't know the background for the Hills' shifts in odds, but they were out of whack with the other firms. What did it end up at? Incidentally, who's that last paragraph in post *665 aimed at ? Agree pakelly, crackin stuff from Burns. Martinez a tad hyped (as mentioned above), but a top display from the Scot.
Cheers GH! Not sure what happened with the odds, I was watching on about a 15 minute delay. Could Hills have a market share in Liverpool or maybe itwas just due to a couple of substantial bets on a realtively small event? As for the Burns fight I was gutted about the pauses when I saw Burns was trading at 5/6 with a few rounds to go. As for para in post 665 it was just a rant more than anything (frustration more than anything as you just knew a couple of fights were going to fall through) but was aimed at Barker and Warren. Its been rife with rumours over Barker being injured for a few weeks before the announcement. You just know that it was off way before they announced and even came out stating that there was no problem and the fight was definately on. Maybe Im wrong but just my feelings. Btw GH Houston picked Burns but my trial was over!