** April Poker League Result : 1st Like2Fish, 2nd McG, 3rd andybell666 **

2010 Boxing Thread

superfoo

Re: 2010 Boxing Thread Some good stuff on here in the last few days lads. Early opinions/prices being taken on future fights etc. Love it ! No excuses for Froch OR Abraham devotees with the odds offered either. The neutral venue has kept Abraham's odds realistic. Should be plenty taking the 10/11 offered, as will the 9/4 about his tko,ko odds. Froch offered at a similar price to the Kessler fight. Have to agree about JMM having too much for Diaz, but his outright odds do nothing for me. Diaz has said he'll be more controlled and patient going into the rematch, but he had his best sucess in the first fight, when setting a frenetic pace. Marquez notoriously a slow starter, and Diaz hurt him in the opening round, so he'll take confidence from that. Can't see him taking a more measured approach to be honest. It would go against the grain. On the negative side, is the way he's looked, after taking shots in recent fights. His style of fighting has caught up with him, and suffering cuts is more of an occurence nowadays, but when the likes of Malignaggi buzz you, then the warning bells should be ringing. Should be another cracker, and if not at the actual fight, the lucky ones are the patrons getting to watch it on the 40' movie screens. Used to happen over here back in the day, and a superb experience it is.

• Replies 967
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: 2010 Boxing Thread Fascinated by the Shumenov/Uzelkov bout. The Ukranian has to be something special to be the jolly, against a boxer who seems to enjoy special privileges on fight nights. Even more so, now he's hooked up with Golden Boy. Uzelkov has to be the mandatory, surely. Otherwise why would he be trading with such a dangerous, big-hitting opponent for his first defence? Never thought i'd see Shumenov at odds against in his own promotion, but, he does ship punishment at an alarming rate, and his opponent won't have trouble finding him. Can't ignore the Campillo fiasco though, and has to be taken into account, when Beibut is on the card.

Re: 2010 Boxing Thread

Pretty embarassing stuff that' date=' Green visibly disappointed as well - no fault of his though. I cant really say I think Briggs faked it but there may some serios concerns behing d the scenes. Was greedy and went 7-12 but the NSW commision was warning enough.[/quote'] Briggs looked huge. A few Aussie bookies not paid out on the Ist round wagers I believe, after a the dough came in big-style on the early finish. Not surprising, because thats the poorest dive in my lifetime. At least the likes of Cintron put some imagination into theirs. Don't forget this is the bloke who was on a par with Adamek, and who did'nt recognise pain. A throwback warrior who lived to fight in or out of the ring. Read his autob' and it would'nt shock to expect a few ex -associates to have been in on the sting . I

Re: 2010 Boxing Thread Has Briggs had his purse withheld?? That looks absolutely unbelievable, that makes Cintrons dive look like a work of art.

Not going to be on Hall V Power, watched the fight against Napa, still not sure what to make of it and how the heat affected that bout, seemed Napa was coming back to win it comfortably towards the end, certainly not taking anything too short on Hall in this. Could be a tough night for Tony Jeffries as well Friday, comes against a decent fighter in Banbula, will be a good indication of how far he can go.

Looking ahead I can’t see where the optimism is coming from Juan Diaz, I think it could be a far more comfortable fight for Marquez than it was last time out, the way Paulie dominated Diaz in their last bout was quite shocking to me as I think Paulie is one of the most overrated guys out there and not in the same league as Marquez class wise, I don’t think the Mayweather fight would have taken that much out of Juan and I think the later rounds of the last fight could be the whole fight this time around, I fully expect Marquez to be able to throw enough quality punches to force a stoppage at some point.

Fascinated by the Shumenov/Uzelkov bout. The Ukranian has to be something special to be the jolly' date=' against a boxer who seems to enjoy special privileges on fight nights. Even more so, now he's hooked up with Golden Boy. Uzelkov has to be the mandatory, surely. Otherwise why would he be trading with such a dangerous, big-hitting opponent for his first defence? Never thought i'd see Shumenov at odds against in his own promotion, but, he does ship punishment at an alarming rate, and his opponent won't have trouble finding him. Can't ignore the Campillo fiasco though, and has to be taken into account, when Beibut is on the card.[/quote'] Uzelkov looks like a decent bet to me. I'm sad that sportingbet are the only firm that have odds up on the fight. In my opinion, Uzelkov should take this one. His defence is pretty good and that means he will be taking a lot of Shumenovs punches on the arms. Shumenov looks to me like he throws punches for the sake of throwing punches. He will have to be throwing plenty in this one because Uzelkov will be coming at him and the thing he will most want to avoid is having to trade with Uzelkov, for obvious reasons. I think Uzelkov will eventually land something on Shumanov and get him going. He is deceptively fast with his shots and looks like a great finisher. I'm just not that impressed with Shumanov to be honest. However, if he can make it to the final bell, he has a chance at winning because the cards might be stacked in his favour. Whether he can make it to the final bell is the question. Even if he does, I think he'll have had to get off the canvas to do so. The bet here is Uzelkov to win. 4/5 is a decent price with sportingbet. The chance of a robbery is very real, but I think at that price, I am willing to find out.

Uzelkov looks like a decent bet to me. I'm sad that sportingbet are the only firm that have odds up on the fight. In my opinion, Uzelkov should take this one. His defence is pretty good and that means he will be taking a lot of Shumenovs punches on the arms. Shumenov looks to me like he throws punches for the sake of throwing punches. He will have to be throwing plenty in this one because Uzelkov will be coming at him and the thing he will most want to avoid is having to trade with Uzelkov, for obvious reasons. I think Uzelkov will eventually land something on Shumanov and get him going. He is deceptively fast with his shots and looks like a great finisher. I'm just not that impressed with Shumanov to be honest. However, if he can make it to the final bell, he has a chance at winning because the cards might be stacked in his favour. Whether he can make it to the final bell is the question. Even if he does, I think he'll have had to get off the canvas to do so. The bet here is Uzelkov to win. 4/5 is a decent price with sportingbet. The chance of a robbery is very real, but I think at that price, I am willing to find out.
Great write up (and GH), hope its a good fight. :hope

Re: 2010 Boxing Thread Uzelkov @ 6/5 b365..Sportingbet have roped him back into 1.75 after their initial daft opening price. They've also cut Shumenov via pts from 2/1 to 7/4, which i'm sick about, as thats what i favour. Missed the boat, but it would have been a moderate play given the match-up. Just to correct something from an earlier post. Shumenov signed with Goosen not GBP. Remember at the time, this was a smart move, given Goosen's reputation and contacts in the US market. Has took the full weight off Beibut's shoulders, of being totally hands-on in his own promotion. Can fully concentrate on the training regime now, and dedicated he is in that department.The Campillo fiasco apart, there's a lot to admire about him. Succeeded where Audley tried, and failed to achieve. On turning pro, managed and promoted himself, taking on solid competition with 2 or 3 ex world champs amongst them. Has'nt done anything the easy way, and tonights fight is no exception. If Uzelkov's ko ratio is genuine at THIS level, then this could be a Lebedov type arrival on the big scene, and thats the intrigue. Certainly carries a helluva lot more power than Campillo. Has weighed in bang on the 175, whilst Uzelkov is 172 lbs. Backing him to once again display a great fighters heart, and take the fight into the latter stages. With full promotional backing, a controversial decision would'nt shock. No exact MOV odds out there, so a dabble on the draw, where BS would keep his belt into the bargain. 1 pt @ 20/1 sportingbet.

Uzelkov @ 6/5 b365..Sportingbet have roped him back into 1.75 after their initial daft opening price. They've also cut Shumenov via pts from 2/1 to 7/4, which i'm sick about, as thats what i favour. Missed the boat, but it would have been a moderate play given the match-up. Just to correct something from an earlier post. Shumenov signed with Goosen not GBP. Remember at the time, this was a smart move, given Goosen's reputation and contacts in the US market. Has took the full weight off Beibut's shoulders, of being totally hands-on in his own promotion. Can fully concentrate on the training regime now, and dedicated he is in that department.The Campillo fiasco apart, there's a lot to admire about him. Succeeded where Audley tried, and failed to achieve. On turning pro, managed and promoted himself, taking on solid competition with 2 or 3 ex world champs amongst them. Has'nt done anything the easy way, and tonights fight is no exception. If Uzelkov's ko ratio is genuine at THIS level, then this could be a Lebedov type arrival on the big scene, and thats the intrigue. Certainly carries a helluva lot more power than Campillo. Has weighed in bang on the 175, whilst Uzelkov is 172 lbs. Backing him to once again display a great fighters heart, and take the fight into the latter stages. With full promotional backing, a controversial decision would'nt shock. No exact MOV odds out there, so a dabble on the draw, where BS would keep his belt into the bargain. 1 pt @ 20/1 sportingbet.
6/5 with bet 365 is very decent. I've gone in again at that price. I'm concerned about the robbery like you are though, so it's not a big bet by any means. I'm looking forward to this fight though.

Re: 2010 Boxing Thread A bit more on the Stuart Hall vs Martin Power fight tonight... They weighed in last night and Hall came in 2 pounds under the limit. This was a shock since most people believe that he is struggling at the weight. Is he struggling? Has he overtrained? Or is he actually comfortable at the weight? I'm not sure to be honest but I don't really think it matters too much in this fight. This one is all about the styles to me. In their fight last year, Hall pushed Power onto the backfoot and was well prepared to go toe to toe and he inevitably came out the winner in most exchanges. His punches had an effect on Power whereas Powers punches seemed to bounce off Hall. This is why I have taken the odds on Hall by KO. Once Power is pushed onto the backfoot, he capitulates in his fights. The job is half done once a fighter has him on the backfoot and thats exactly what Hall will do. Power only knows one way to fight and thats to come forward and out-man his opponent. He's lost 5 times and 4 of those losses have been by KO! Only one of his losses has been a points loss and that was to Ian Napa, who we all know can't punch his way out of a paper bag. In their last fight Power threw the kitchen sink at Hall to head and body and Hall came through and slowly wore him out and the same will happen here imo. 11/10 was a gift from boylesports. Now the best price on a Hall KO is 10/11 with boylesports. It's still well worth taking. I would personally have it priced around 4/7.

6/5 with bet 365 is very decent. I've gone in again at that price. I'm concerned about the robbery like you are though' date=' so it's not a big bet by any means. I'm looking forward to this fight though.[/quote'] Same here... Tough fight tonight though... I re-watched Uzelkov KO-6 Campillo, and Campillo was awful, he's improved so much since then... If anyone wants a stream for tonight, just PM me :)

A bit more on the Stuart Hall vs Martin Power fight tonight... They weighed in last night and Hall came in 2 pounds under the limit. This was a shock since most people believe that he is struggling at the weight. Is he struggling? Has he overtrained? Or is he actually comfortable at the weight? I'm not sure to be honest but I don't really think it matters too much in this fight. This one is all about the styles to me. In their fight last year, Hall pushed Power onto the backfoot and was well prepared to go toe to toe and he inevitably came out the winner in most exchanges. His punches had an effect on Power whereas Powers punches seemed to bounce off Hall. This is why I have taken the odds on Hall by KO. Once Power is pushed onto the backfoot, he capitulates in his fights. The job is half done once a fighter has him on the backfoot and thats exactly what Hall will do. Power only knows one way to fight and thats to come forward and out-man his opponent. He's lost 5 times and 4 of those losses have been by KO! Only one of his losses has been a points loss and that was to Ian Napa, who we all know can't punch his way out of a paper bag. In their last fight Power threw the kitchen sink at Hall to head and body and Hall came through and slowly wore him out and the same will happen here imo. 11/10 was a gift from boylesports. Now the best price on a Hall KO is 10/11 with boylesports. It's still well worth taking. I would personally have it priced around 4/7.
Like your style mate....i'm in. Solid case for the defence imo ! No apologies, because i like to snaffle any bit of value from the camelcoats, but with a bit of faffing, there's tad above 5/4 for Hall ITD. Dutching Hall rds 1-6 @ 7/2 sportingbet, and rds 7-12 @ 21/10 skybet.....4 pts. Dafs....yeah Campillo was only a 12 fight novice when blasted out by Uzekov. Thats why i've not read too much into Shumenov struggling with Campillo in comparison. He's a far craftier operator nowadays. Should be a good 'un this one. If these two perform as expected, they'll be a welcome addition, in bolstering the 175 division.

Has Briggs had his purse withheld?? That looks absolutely unbelievable, that makes Cintrons dive look like a work of art.

Not going to be on Hall V Power, watched the fight against Napa, still not sure what to make of it and how the heat affected that bout, seemed Napa was coming back to win it comfortably towards the end, certainly not taking anything too short on Hall in this. Could be a tough night for Tony Jeffries as well Friday, comes against a decent fighter in Banbula, will be a good indication of how far he can go.

Looking ahead I can’t see where the optimism is coming from Juan Diaz, I think it could be a far more comfortable fight for Marquez than it was last time out, the way Paulie dominated Diaz in their last bout was quite shocking to me as I think Paulie is one of the most overrated guys out there and not in the same league as Marquez class wise, I don’t think the Mayweather fight would have taken that much out of Juan and I think the later rounds of the last fight could be the whole fight this time around, I fully expect Marquez to be able to throw enough quality punches to force a stoppage at some point.

Nice call there Matt with Banbula and its strange with Jeffries but he just doesnt seem as good as he should be. As for Diaz I think the only optimism is coming from me:$ but like I say I think a case can be made for a little, if not a lot of optimism.

Nice call there Matt with Banbula and its strange with Jeffries but he just doesnt seem as good as he should be. As for Diaz I think the only optimism is coming from me:$ but like I say I think a case can be made for a little, if not a lot of optimism.
This boxing, nothing would surprise me!....I'm really looking forward to the card actually. Jaffa, its a shame because he's a top lad, had the pleasure of a chat with him in Cov after Munroe's bout and he really is a down to earth quality bloke, you want to pull for him and I can't get the reason why but he doesnt seem to look as good as he should..... Anyone got any thoughts or seen any footage for the fight for (Sergio's) WBO belt next week? On first hand its looked a coin toss but not sure of the opposition Pirog or Jacobs has faced............liked the look of anything odds-agaisnt but not sure how good they think or how well Jacobs has been matched so far.

This boxing, nothing would surprise me!....I'm really looking forward to the card actually. Jaffa, its a shame because he's a top lad, had the pleasure of a chat with him in Cov after Munroe's bout and he really is a down to earth quality bloke, you want to pull for him and I can't get the reason why but he doesnt seem to look as good as he should..... Anyone got any thoughts or seen any footage for the fight for (Sergio's) WBO belt next week? On first hand its looked a coin toss but not sure of the opposition Pirog or Jacobs has faced............liked the look of anything odds-agaisnt but not sure how good they think or how well Jacobs has been matched so far.
I'll be sitting that Jacobs vs Priog fight out. It's too hard to call. As for Jeffries, he is simply limited in my opinion. Whats surprising is his poor technique with his punches. He'll be lucky to make it to domestic level, nevermind world level. Nice guy though!

Re: 2010 Boxing Thread Might do Jeffries the world of good. The next fortnight is what the game is all about. Got most of the wagers laid out..just waiting on the lines now. If both chins are of the same standard, and there's nothing to suggest otherwise, i fancy Jacobs. Like for like opposition, but all important home ground, this has distance pencilled all over it. The 5/2 via decision is great value.

Re: 2010 Boxing Thread I've put on the following treble. Hoping for a good result. All the odds were taken on boylesports. 1. Juan Manuel Marquez to beat Juan Diaz. by KO/TKO or DQ. 11/8 This should be straight forward enough for Marquez. Diaz is limited and couldn't beat Malignaggi twice on my scorecards. He was rocked by Malignaggi too, which suggests his chin is going to be suspect. Marquez will be landing on the chin and I'm not sure Diaz can take it. Marquez is punching a lot harder as he has gotten older too. Technically this is heavily weighted in Marquez's favour also. He's much better than Diaz and Diaz's come forward style is made for counter punchers to pick him apart, which Marquez has already done. Marquez is also a good finisher when he gets his man going. Diaz just doesn't have the skills to win this. Another thing in our favour is Diaz's attitude. Max Kellerman asked him in the ring after their last fight, "Why not hold and try to buy time after you were knocked down? Why did you get up and go to war?" and Diaz answered, I'm paraphrasing but it was something like, "I wanted to go out like a man and fight like a warrior, if I get knocked out so be it". I think this attitude is always going to be in him and it's going to see him knocked out again. 11/8 is value here. 2. Devon Alexander to beat Andriy Kotelnik by decision or tech decision.. 9/10 Andrey Kotelnik is a former stellar amateur. He is a former world champion. He has a good defence and is a good all round fighter. He also has a decent chin. Devon Alexander is an exceptional talent. He has 13 of his 20 wins coming by KO. I believe he has the technical ability to beat Kotelnik but I am not sure he wins by KO. Maybe I respect Kotelnik too much but I can't see him getting KO'd here. Corley went the distance with Alexander and I see Kotelnik as being a better all round fighter than him. He could get retired near the end of the fight though, if he is losing every round. However, I think he will be competitive enough to stay in the fight until the decision comes. This is the one I am most worried about because Alexander is very good and is punching very hard as of late but I still think this is Well worth a punt at 9/10. 3. Chad Dawson to beat Jean Pascal by decision or tech decision. 9/10 We all know about the toughness of Jean Pascal. He really is a tough man. However he got outboxed by Carl Froch. Chad Dawson has 10 times the ability of Carl Froch. The worry for me is Dawsons chin. But I think he gets through this and takes a close decision on the cards. Pascal had shoulder surgery and may not be 100% so we could see him retiring. But again, this is a decent bet at decent odds. An 8.57 treble. Well worth a few quid. :hope

Re: 2010 Boxing Thread Good post and good value. Particularly keen on the Dawson call - he can stay out of harm when he needs to and tbh I dont think Pascal throws the hardest. Didnt know about the shoulder which could prove a 'legitimate' get out clause, which I guess places a little doubt but from what I have seen of him hes not one that lacks in heart.

Good post and good value. Particularly keen on the Dawson call - he can stay out of harm when he needs to and tbh I dont think Pascal throws the hardest. Didnt know about the shoulder which could prove a 'legitimate' get out clause' date=' which I guess places a little doubt but from what I have seen of him hes not one that lacks in heart.[/quote'] He certainly doesn't lack in heart or bottle... a real hard man. It looks like I was the last person to get that 9/10. He's now best priced at 4/5 by decision with boylesports. I don't think he would use the shoulder as an excuse to quit, even if it was hurting and he was losing every round (which he won't be imo).. he's that much of a warrior. That's a fight I'm really looking forward to seeing. Pascal is not without a chance of pulling it off.

I've put on the following treble. Hoping for a good result. All the odds were taken on boylesports. 1. Juan Manuel Marquez to beat Juan Diaz. by KO/TKO or DQ. 11/8 This should be straight forward enough for Marquez. Diaz is limited and couldn't beat Malignaggi twice on my scorecards. He was rocked by Malignaggi too, which suggests his chin is going to be suspect. Marquez will be landing on the chin and I'm not sure Diaz can take it. Marquez is punching a lot harder as he has gotten older too. Technically this is heavily weighted in Marquez's favour also. He's much better than Diaz and Diaz's come forward style is made for counter punchers to pick him apart, which Marquez has already done. Marquez is also a good finisher when he gets his man going. Diaz just doesn't have the skills to win this. Another thing in our favour is Diaz's attitude. Max Kellerman asked him in the ring after their last fight, "Why not hold and try to buy time after you were knocked down? Why did you get up and go to war?" and Diaz answered, I'm paraphrasing but it was something like, "I wanted to go out like a man and fight like a warrior, if I get knocked out so be it". I think this attitude is always going to be in him and it's going to see him knocked out again. 11/8 is value here. 2. Devon Alexander to beat Andriy Kotelnik by decision or tech decision.. 9/10 Andrey Kotelnik is a former stellar amateur. He is a former world champion. He has a good defence and is a good all round fighter. He also has a decent chin. Devon Alexander is an exceptional talent. He has 13 of his 20 wins coming by KO. I believe he has the technical ability to beat Kotelnik but I am not sure he wins by KO. Maybe I respect Kotelnik too much but I can't see him getting KO'd here. Corley went the distance with Alexander and I see Kotelnik as being a better all round fighter than him. He could get retired near the end of the fight though, if he is losing every round. However, I think he will be competitive enough to stay in the fight until the decision comes. This is the one I am most worried about because Alexander is very good and is punching very hard as of late but I still think this is Well worth a punt at 9/10. 3. Chad Dawson to beat Jean Pascal by decision or tech decision. 9/10 We all know about the toughness of Jean Pascal. He really is a tough man. However he got outboxed by Carl Froch. Chad Dawson has 10 times the ability of Carl Froch. The worry for me is Dawsons chin. But I think he gets through this and takes a close decision on the cards. Pascal had shoulder surgery and may not be 100% so we could see him retiring. But again, this is a decent bet at decent odds. An 8.57 treble. Well worth a few quid. :hope
Looks a damn fine shout that. I doubt you will, but don't take this the wrong way (some sensitive feckers on the web). It's not a competition and is a forum after all. That treble can be had at 10.12 with sportingbet. Bumped up nicely by Devon pts @ 2.0. As said before, thats huge AND the highly probable result. I just have a niggling worry that Alexander makes a statement and accomplishes what two of his his main rivals Khan and Maidana could'nt, and thats stop kotelnik. Very few predicted a stoppage of the teak tough Urango last time out. Agree about Pascal's pedigree in the hard man stakes. Disagree about Froch outboxing him, and thought Pascal would've got the nod in Canada. I reckon Pascal's team have played an absolute blinder getting this fight switched to Montreal. Pascal enjoys massive support there, and will be in this fight to the death. Technically 2nd best to the talented Dawson, but he won't be in the heart and grit department, as he's shown in numerous recent contests. Can the same be said for Dawson? First time out of the US, and i would'nt put him in the 'nails' category. Hoping for some Split and Majority props nearer the time, because this should go to the wire. In the meantime, snaffled this last week. Pascal via points @ 5/1 b365..1 pt. Anyone see anything other than a Simpson W over Stephen Smith? Smith will be taken somewhere he has'nt been before. Would like andyharrons view if he's still about; he has a good lowdown on Liverpudlian fighters.

Looks a damn fine shout that. I doubt you will, but don't take this the wrong way (some sensitive feckers on the web). It's not a competition and is a forum after all. That treble can be had at 10.12 with sportingbet. Bumped up nicely by Devon pts @ 2.0. As said before, thats huge AND the highly probable result. I just have a niggling worry that Alexander makes a statement and accomplishes what two of his his main rivals Khan and Maidana could'nt, and thats stop kotelnik. Very few predicted a stoppage of the teak tough Urango last time out. Agree about Pascal's pedigree in the hard man stakes. Disagree about Froch outboxing him, and thought Pascal would've got the nod in Canada. I reckon Pascal's team have played an absolute blinder getting this fight switched to Montreal. Pascal enjoys massive support there, and will be in this fight to the death. Technically 2nd best to the talented Dawson, but he won't be in the heart and grit department, as he's shown in numerous recent contests. Can the same be said for Dawson? First time out of the US, and i would'nt put him in the 'nails' category. Hoping for some Split and Majority props nearer the time, because this should go to the wire. In the meantime, snaffled this last week. Pascal via points @ 5/1 b365..1 pt. Anyone see anything other than a Simpson W over Stephen Smith? Smith will be taken somewhere he has'nt been before. Would like andyharrons view if he's still about; he has a good lowdown on Liverpudlian fighters.
I really should shop around for the best possible odds before I commit! :wall I'm restricted with sportingbet though. I think what did me over with them was lumping on the 4/6 they had up for Groves to beat Adamu. I've been having trouble getting good bets on since. But since that is an accumulator, it might have been a bit easier. I should really shop around before committing though... same thing happened with the Hall stoppage bet. I got 10/11 when 5/4 was available. Long term these things will matter.

Anybody picking Froch over Abraham??
As posted on the previous page, the value in this fight is in the eye of the beholder. Whether an AA or Cobra fan, there's something for everyone in those odds. If this was in Germany, i'd have Abraham @ 4/6, so his 10/11 at present is excellent, for a fight that'll play out exactly the same wherever it's held. Would expect it to shorten once the boards start buzzing tbh. Would'nt discard Froch entirely, because AA at 168 has'nt been the beast he was at 160. Froch is the ultimate caveman, and will be in the fight for however long it lasts. Doubt the judges will be needed, so hanging on to see if the current 4/5 not to go distance, gets bettered. Froch's superchin has to desert him some day. The laws of average demand it. Can't continue to use his whiskers as his main defence mechanism, some of the shots he takes are X-rated.. But, Abraham's perceived invincibility was cracked, by hitting the deck against dirrel, and the cobra certainly has that equaliser in his armoury. Can't wait for it, and should be an old school classic, if toe to toe, is what turns you on. Can't be having Enzo Macca at a best priced 4/6 either. Won;t go the 12 this one, and Frenkel the definite value shout. Have'nt a clue about frenkel's chin against a banger like enzo, but we're all familiar with enzo's, and the challenger can bang with both hands.

Anybody picking Froch over Abraham??
Not for me, though I'll find it very hard to bet agaisnt Froch as I love the bloke to bits. I just think with his lack of defence at some point King Arthur will connect in the same way he eventually caught Jermaine Taylor, I really hope I am wrong though and Froch can produce a display to win the fight. It should be an absolute belter. Few good outsiders on that Birmingham card, like Greenhoff has said anything odds-agaisnt V Mac has to be taken, Sexton is huge at 2/1 (some places 11/8), Chisora beat him last time out but Sexton's jab looks far far better now and there is no telling how much he learnt from 2 trips to Ireland and 2 wins agaisnt Rogan (even of the first one was Rogan's fault.) I'll have no problem taking Jennings at 4/1 while we find out how good Kell Brook is. Anyone know much about Konecny?, he has a decent performance under his belt V Dzinziruk and should give Rhodes a test, I think Cleverly is a real class act as well but he has a tough one V Murat who I havnt seen but has some decent scalps under his card. The card wont capture the imagination of the general public but if it holds together its a British fight fans dream. Local news Munroe's fight is confirmed for October on the 24th on a sunday.....hope sky will put it on! Marts has also been given a shot at Sam Webb for the british title on saturday fight night in London, load up the bus. :cheers:cow

Re: 2010 Boxing Thread I would have definately picked Abraham to beat Froch if he hadn't of shown such vulnerability against Dirrell. He has a strong core ; strong down the middle - like Kessler, and Kessler's strength in straight lines worked well against a Froch who can show good skills at times but in the last couple of years has decided to almost exclusively trade and stand in front of his opponent. So yeah, Abraham would have been a firm favourite with me if prompted before the fight in Detroit. As it is, I still think he's the fresher man and he would be my favourite, but Froch could get in some meaty shots himself and if the "Matrix" can hurt him, so can Carl, who unlike Taylor and Dirrell, will take one to give one.

Re: 2010 Boxing Thread I have to admit, I'm starting to wonder if Froch can take Abrahams punches and I think he might be able to do it. Abraham is a come forward fighter and won't be going on to the backfoot. Froch will be the one playing matador. I wonder if he can stay away from Abraham just enough to discourage him by landing big shots of his own. Froch is a hard puncher himself and he will be trying to walk Abraham on to some heavy punches that might discourage Arthur. I don't place much meaning in Dirrell dropping him, he wasn't hurt at all and was just off balance in my opinion. If he got caught with that shot and was not in the position he was with his feet, he'd have walked through it. I really do favour Abraham but I'm assuming that Froch won't be able to take his punches when I say that. We know Froch has a terrible defence and will be getting caught. The question is whether or not he can take them, because if this goes to points, he has a real chance of outworking Abraham. He'll be fitter after the Kessler fight where he will feel he didn't work enough. It's becoming feasible to me that froch wins on points. I don't think Abraham will be KO'd.. he seems too tough for that. I will rewatch some of their fights over the coming weeks and come to a decision. One thing I do know is that nobody Abraham has faced has been able to stand upright after recieving his best shot. His KO of Gevor is frightening. His punches are not the type of punches you get up from within 10 seconds... they usually require a hospital visit. It's a big ask from Froch to expect him to walk through Abrahams punches, which he is going to have to do to win. Maybe I just love Froch too much. He was hurt by Taylor, Kessler and Dirrell afterall.

I wonder what the odds will be on Vitali K to KO Briggs on October 16th? 1/3? I would regard 1/4 as value.
If you can get anything around that you have to take to take it, no way can Briggs go anywhere near 12 surely??

Re: 2010 Boxing Thread Yeah it will be interesting to see the odds. I'd have Vitali ITD priced up around 1/7 to be honest but I reckon it will be around 1/4. No problem taking short prices like that if they are value. :cow

Re: 2010 Boxing Thread Would'nt be surprised if there was'nt much variation on his outright and ITD odds tbh. Was also a little surprised, and disappointed, in his almost Wladimar-like approach, in the Sosnoski bout. Don't know if the years are catching him up, but he was content to plod and jab in infuriating fashion. Had Sos' rattled a few times early on, but held back for some reason. Finally let his hands go in the 10th....no good to us 4-9 punters though. :eyes