Re: 2010 Boxing Thread

Sunday 15 August 2010 Draw Boxer 2 BPP
maximize.gif Dawson, C v Pascal, J (03:00 BST) 1.3 29 4 105.37 %
Sunday 15 August 2010 Draw Boxer 2 BPP
maximize.gif Moreno, A v Cermeno, N (01:00 BST) 1.53 17 2.5 111.10 %
maximize.gif Dawson, C v Pascal, J (02:00 BST) 1.28 21 4.1 107.28 %
maximize.gif Garcia, MA v Lock, C (03:00 BST) 1.28 21 3.6 110.32 %
maximize.gif Kim, JH v Vazquez, M (03:00 BST) 1.57 26 2.72 104.31 %

Re: 2010 Boxing Thread Agree about Pascal's pedigree in the hard man stakes. Disagree about Froch outboxing him, and thought Pascal would've got the nod in Canada. I reckon Pascal's team have played an absolute blinder getting this fight switched to Montreal. Pascal enjoys massive support there, and will be in this fight to the death. Technically 2nd best to the talented Dawson, but he won't be in the heart and grit department, as he's shown in numerous recent contests. Can the same be said for Dawson? First time out of the US, and i would'nt put him in the 'nails' category. Hoping for some Split and Majority props nearer the time, because this should go to the wire. In the meantime, snaffled this last week. Pascal via points @ 5/1 b365..1 pt. Anyone see anything other than a Simpson W over Stephen Smith? Smith will be taken somewhere he has'nt been before. Would like andyharrons view if he's still about; he has a good lowdown on Liverpudlian fighters. Get in Pascal !! The rematch should be a cracker. Big mistake to switch the fight to Canada imo, but thats the risk Dawson's team took, seeing as he could'nt sell out your average beer garden in the States. Snaffled the bigger wages by going overseas, and must have been supremely confident of taking Pascal. Cheers for the reply about Simpson/Smith, foo. I notice Smith posts on ESB, and is very confident. No surprise there though...i've yet to see a boxer post about being in poor shape and not fancying his chances. The Japanese guy is tastily priced against Munroe !

Re: 2010 Boxing Thread Good stuff Green, I haven't watched the fight yet... downloading it at the moment. I was surprised to see Chad lost though. Seems like it was controversial at the end though but I expected a near shutout. Anyway, a kind of speculative bet for August 28th.. Marcos Maidana vs Demarcus Corley. First of all, Maidana is from Argentina, and this fight is being fought in Argentina. Maidana has 28 wins and of those 28 wins, 27 have been by way of KO. He is priced as low as 1/50 to win this one and is even as low as 1/8 to win by KO. All that said, I'm going to LAY Maidana when the market comes up on betfair. I think he will be priced around 1/20 on betfair. Maidana has lost once to Andreas Kotelnik and can be outboxed. He can also be hurt as Victor Ortiz showed, by having him down 3 times. Corley is a decent boxer himself and has a bit of slickness about him. He is a southpaw and can bang a bit. He was the first person to legitimately hurt Mayweather and had Cotto doing a dance in the ring after he caught him lovely with a punch on the way in. He is vulnerable himself but there is no doubt he knows how to take care of himself in there. There are question marks over his punch resistance but there are also question marks over Maidanas in my mind. Corley is coming into this one on the back of a confidence building KO win, after he was KOd himself in the previous fight. I've just never been really impressed with Maidana and at those shocking odds, I'm willing to lay him. At those odds, it won't take much to ensure a nice return.

Good stuff Green, I haven't watched the fight yet... downloading it at the moment. I was surprised to see Chad lost though. Seems like it was controversial at the end though but I expected a near shutout. Anyway, a kind of speculative bet for August 28th.. Marcos Maidana vs Demarcus Corley. First of all, Maidana is from Argentina, and this fight is being fought in Argentina. Maidana has 28 wins and of those 28 wins, 27 have been by way of KO. He is priced as low as 1/50 to win this one and is even as low as 1/8 to win by KO. All that said, I'm going to LAY Maidana when the market comes up on betfair. I think he will be priced around 1/20 on betfair. Maidana has lost once to Andreas Kotelnik and can be outboxed. He can also be hurt as Victor Ortiz showed, by having him down 3 times. Corley is a decent boxer himself and has a bit of slickness about him. He is a southpaw and can bang a bit. He was the first person to legitimately hurt Mayweather and had Cotto doing a dance in the ring after he caught him lovely with a punch on the way in. He is vulnerable himself but there is no doubt he knows how to take care of himself in there. There are question marks over his punch resistance but there are also question marks over Maidanas in my mind. Corley is coming into this one on the back of a confidence building KO win, after he was KOd himself in the previous fight. I've just never been really impressed with Maidana and at those shocking odds, I'm willing to lay him. At those odds, it won't take much to ensure a nice return.
Pulio I say nothing wrong with the punt due to how little you can lose but the Corley you talk about is well gonebut as they say the punch is the last to leave. All that said Maidana is certainly no 1/50 fave. GL.

The Dawson/Pascal rematch set for the USA if info correct. Will be well into Dawson for that one' date=' and because of the upset on saturday, he should be at some well tasty prices ![/quote'] Great shout on the fight mate.:cow There will be some arguments over the place that rematch takes place in guaranteed. Pascal wont want to come to the states. Be interesting to see what was inserted into the re-match clause. Pascal might chase a big payday now V Bute or Hopkins.... Nishioka priced up around 4/9, that might shorten up as the fight draws nears, think Munroe will have to take this one out the judges hands to come back with the strap. He's going to be hit harder here than anyone has in the past and will be interesting to see how his chin holds up, I dont think i'm going to bet here anyway, i know you shouldnt let emotion get involved with betting but this is a bit different for me, I couldnt have any part of me going agaisnt 2tone. Anyone got any opposition to a Molitor/Martinez double on the first couple of Sky fight nights when the new season kicks off, both look a level higher than the opposition. Paying around evens for the pair........

Great shout on the fight mate.:cow There will be some arguments over the place that rematch takes place in guaranteed. Pascal wont want to come to the states. Be interesting to see what was inserted into the re-match clause. Pascal might chase a big payday now V Bute or Hopkins.... Nishioka priced up around 4/9, that might shorten up as the fight draws nears, think Munroe will have to take this one out the judges hands to come back with the strap. He's going to be hit harder here than anyone has in the past and will be interesting to see how his chin holds up, I dont think i'm going to bet here anyway, i know you shouldnt let emotion get involved with betting but this is a bit different for me, I couldnt have any part of me going agaisnt 2tone. Anyone got any opposition to a Molitor/Martinez double on the first couple of Sky fight nights when the new season kicks off, both look a level higher than the opposition. Paying around evens for the pair........
Nishioka looks a decent punt at 4/9. I'm in the minority but I think Booth has a genuine chance against Molitor. He has faster feet than Molitor and if he can adopt a kind of hit and run strategy, i can see Molitor have some problems. Stylewise, Booth has a real chance in my opinion. I wouldn't touch Molitor at the short odds available.

Re: 2010 Boxing Thread Nathan Cleverly vs Karo Murat I think this is an intriguing fight. However there is one clear bet here for me and that is Cleverly to win on points. 6/4 with will hill. Murat is a poor mans version of Arthur Abraham. Slower, not technically as good and not as powerful. He is built like a tank and fights out of the same stable as Abraham. He has a solid shell-like defense which would remind you of Joshua Clottey. His punches are powerful to an extent, and he seems to come forward all night, but his footwork looks poor to me. I watched his fight with campillo and he had genuine difficulties with the boxer style. He was plodding along all night and lost the fight on my scorecard by 2 points, but he got the decision. Cleverly is in a rich vein of form at the moment and is stopping everyone he meets. However he has been taken the entire 12 round distance a few times. Toney Oakey took him the 12 round distance, for instance. I think Murat deserves respect here. He is not coming over here for a hiding. I don't think he'll take a real beating from Cleverly... he knows how to look after himself in the ring. His defense leads me to believe that he will take a lot on the gloves. His main problems here are that Cleverly has better footwork, faster feet and faster hands. Cleverly will be throwing a lot more punches. Couple that with the fact that we are on a Frank Warren card, and there is only one way the close rounds are going here. I can't see Cleverly stopping Murat so I am willing to lay some money down on cleverly on points. 6/4 is more than decent.

Re: 2010 Boxing Thread Derek Chisora vs Sam Sexton Del Boy Chisora is an interesting character. I have to admit, I thought he was an absolute bell end from some of the interviews I've seen him do and also because of his unforgettable biting of journeyman Paul Butlins ear, in a fight that chisora was winning easily. However, I've come to actually like the guy. He brings something different to the British heavyweight scene. Chisora is a pressure fighter. He throws a lot of punches and some of them look sloppy at times. However, I believe he is better than he looks on film. He has some really good upper body movement. He slips punches quite well and his hands always seem to be in the correct place as he is blocking punches. He also has a decent enough chin from what I can see. He is an arrogant man and has never been beaten. He has all the confidence in the world and this also has to be taken into account. He also punches quite hard. Sexton is a decent boxer himself. In their first fight he wasn't doing too badly. I had him only winning the first round but he was competitive in the rounds he lost. He got stopped in the 6th round by Chisora. It was a premature stoppage but he was hurt. I think Sexton has stamina problems. I question his ability to go 12 hard rounds with a pressure fighter like Chisora who is going to be in his face and coming after him all night. Chisora is better than Rogan in my opinion. Since losing to Chisora, Sexton has had two wins over Martin Rogan. Sexton was doing well against rogan in their first fight but in the 8th round (the furthest he has ever been in a fight), he started wilting and was like a saturday night drunk in the ring, wobbling around the place. He was lucky that Rogan got stopped on eye damage. In their second fight, Rogan ran out of gas alarmingly. Sexton did his job but I think he was flattered by that victory. Chisora hasn't gone further than 8 rounds himself, but I think he has better condition than sexton. He is in better shape since their last fight where he was 255 pounds. He weighed in at 244 pounds for his last fight against Williams. I expect him to come in at a similar weight here and have the engine to go 12 rounds. Sexton will try to fight fire with fire in the early going, giving as much as he is getting. chisora will have to get past the jab of Sexton but I think that his upper body movement will help him avoid a lot of the punches. I think chisora has decent enough feet to be able to get to Sexton and throw his combinations. Sexton doesn't have the best defense, expecially up close and I just expect Chisora to outwork him. In the later rounds, as Sexton tires, I expect him to be more languid and Chisora will be able to force a stoppage, similar to last time. I expect it to come around the 9th or 10th round. Chisora by stoppage is evens with boylesports.

Re: 2010 Boxing Thread Have always enjoyed Adamek too. Been in some cracking bouts over the years, and because of his style, the outcome is often in the balance. Klitscho to tko, ko Briggs is out there at 1/4. Nishioka over Munroe @ 4/9. Massive task on the road, for the likeable Munroe. DeGale over Dilkes @ 1/6. A coupon bumper. Bute ITD over Brinkley @ 4/7. Brinkley game and honest, but out of his depth v's a Bute, who knows how to put a bout to bed. Treble @ 2.65 10 pts..sportingbet

I love Adamek personally' date=' problem he has is there is no power there, Grant was walking through his shots last night.........:sad[/quote'] Which was surprising since we know Grant has no chin. I thought adamek looked very powerful stopping Golota but it appears his power hasn't travelled up. He's still a solid heavyweight though and would give Haye/Povetkin/Peter et all a good fight and possibly win. He is oversized against the Klitschkos, as is everyone else in the division.

Re: 2010 Boxing Thread Darren Barker vs Matthew Macklin - Sept 18th. I'm taking Barker here. I've never been overly impressed with Macklin. Styles make fights and I think Barker will take this one on superior footwork and movement. I think Macklin is the lesser skilled fighter and his pressure fighting techniques won't reap dividends because Barker will be fully prepared. I am willing to overlook the Belgecham performance because I think Barker is a lot better than that. He really seemed to underperform. Belge is a tough customer and I think Barker thought he was going to be a lot easier than he was. However, people are overrating Macklin. This is a guy who was well and truly beaten by Moore and outpointed by Smiley Facey. He really lacks in good boxing skills and is one dimensional. Barker has more dimensions to his game and he will be fully prepared for Macklin. 13/10 with sportingbet.

Re: 2010 Boxing Thread James Toney vs Randy Coutore There is a standout bet in this fight... that it doesn't go the distance. It is currently priced at 1/7 with paddypower. GET ON! This fight will not go the distance. Toney will either get his KO in the first 30-60 seconds, or get grounded and pounded and stopped. It's that simple. Honestly, I think Toney has a slight chance. Coutoure is 47 years old. But we would have to say Coutoure has a serious chance here, and instead of taking him just to win at 1/6, we can ensure ourselves and just take the fight not to go the distance at 1/7. Even though the odds are skimpy, this is a really good bet.

Re: 2010 Boxing Thread Can't wait for the 18th. Our minibus was sold out weeks ago for this. Only been to the LG (or NEC as it was then) twice, and both times were unforgettable nights for different reasons. Copped for a handjob back in the day..at a rod stewart gig. The night my appreciation for the older woman really stepped up a level. And, caught up in the riot at the McCracken v Foster night. Brutal, with dawn arrests being made weeks after the event. I remember the head-lining Nigel Benn shaking his head in disgust during his world title bout, when the pockets of aggro continued to simmer. Would expect top notch security for this one..Macklins mob are, er...raucous. And Barker has sold the most personal tickets of any of the fighters on the bill. Couture by submission @ 19/10.. 3 pts sportingbet. Decent price for one of the three possible endings to the proceedings, so having a small play of the 2nd best price. Toney by ko @ 6's could happen, but will require a peach to be landed from the ponderous boxer. Couture will have learnt from the silva starching by Austin imo, and will weigh up the flat-footed toney, keeping a good distance, before grappling him to the deck. This is when toney will be rendered useless, and will either succumb to a refs intervention after being ponded'n'grounded (10/11), or hopefully tap out from the MMA speciality of rear choke.

Re: 2010 Boxing Thread Would'nt read too much into Macklin's defeat against Moore imo. Was a few rows from ringside for this classic, and sheer exhaustion put paid to Macklin. It was incredible how Macklin went into the later rounds, still toe2toe with Moore. Was well known he'd struggled with the weight, and many observers suggested he'd never reover from his 'near-death' experience. Fair play for his resurgence back in the game at his best weight of 160. I like Barker, but he gets involved when he could stick to his undoubted skills. Has been floored by soft opposition in the past, and one gimme about this bout is...it will end up trench warefare. The atmosphere, abetted by the fighters' pride, will ensure a crackin' fight. The biggest heart wins for me, and i've witnessed Macklin's up close. The firms not giving much away on this imo. Will wait to see if there's any drift nearer fight-time. Will be opposing Enzo. Frenkel's odds been drifting nicely, which makes him a must play, in a roulette wheel spin of a fight. Both heavy-handed. Are they both weak-chinned? We know Enzo is, and thats enough for me. IF frenkel's is from the same mould, then the first few clean shots ends the fight, either way. The unders odds tells it's own story, but at a price. Frenkel's money-shot is the uppercut, which he doubles up to devastating effect. His jab is lazy and telegraphed, so Macc' will have the upperhand in that department, along with big-fight experience, bot Frenkel has a cool demeanour about him. Out to 11/8 SU and still at 7/4 ITD. Hanging on to see if any developments.

Re: 2010 Boxing Thread Whats your 5 fold ? Toney one of the all time greats ....@ trash-talking. To be fair, a superb boxer in his time also. Yep, Couture will be sparked if caught. Toney won't be, with one shot, due to an elite chin. When it ends up on the ground though..he'll be like a beached whale.

Whats your 5 fold ? Toney one of the all time greats ....@ trash-talking. To be fair, a superb boxer in his time also. Yep, Couture will be sparked if caught. Toney won't be, with one shot, due to an elite chin. When it ends up on the ground though..he'll be like a beached whale.
My 5 fold was sadly including QPR and Inverness who both fails to win right now :\

Good stuff Green, I haven't watched the fight yet... downloading it at the moment. I was surprised to see Chad lost though. Seems like it was controversial at the end though but I expected a near shutout. Anyway, a kind of speculative bet for August 28th.. Marcos Maidana vs Demarcus Corley. First of all, Maidana is from Argentina, and this fight is being fought in Argentina. Maidana has 28 wins and of those 28 wins, 27 have been by way of KO. He is priced as low as 1/50 to win this one and is even as low as 1/8 to win by KO. All that said, I'm going to LAY Maidana when the market comes up on betfair. I think he will be priced around 1/20 on betfair. Maidana has lost once to Andreas Kotelnik and can be outboxed. He can also be hurt as Victor Ortiz showed, by having him down 3 times. Corley is a decent boxer himself and has a bit of slickness about him. He is a southpaw and can bang a bit. He was the first person to legitimately hurt Mayweather and had Cotto doing a dance in the ring after he caught him lovely with a punch on the way in. He is vulnerable himself but there is no doubt he knows how to take care of himself in there. There are question marks over his punch resistance but there are also question marks over Maidanas in my mind. Corley is coming into this one on the back of a confidence building KO win, after he was KOd himself in the previous fight. I've just never been really impressed with Maidana and at those shocking odds, I'm willing to lay him. At those odds, it won't take much to ensure a nice return.
Havent seen the fight but reading the reports, Maidana was lucky to get the win. The Argentinian commentators had the fight even (and that was taking the extra point for Maidana into account for the knockdown). From most of what I've read, it seems Maidana might have eeked out the win thanks to a knockdown. I'm raging because now the secret is out and everyone knows how limited he is, so the chance to make big money by laying him at very low odds is gone. A better result for me would have been Maidana KO1.

Re: 2010 Boxing Thread Kali Meehan to win in rounds 7-12 against Evans Quinn has just shot down from 5/1 on Sunday, I jumped on 4/1 on Monday, and now it's 5/2... I saw Quinn against Liakhovic, and think he has a shot of an upset here, but I have to back Meehan because he's more experienced and has a huge reach advantage over the slugger. 10 points on Meehan 7-12 @ 5.00.

Yup picked mine up at dinner time and it was mentioned. Anyway thats not the main event:loon' date=' cmon The Lurcher!!!:drums[/quote'] Will the Chorley massive be out for this, foo :tongue2 Legendary train journey's.:D Fear for Mike, with the classic 'changing of the guard' type situation, that so often inevitably comes around in boxing. Would love him to pull it off, and he'll have our support, but can't see it. Has been pure class, in and out of the ring at domestic/euro level. Gutted about Rhodes pulling out, along with Barker. These things happen though, and it's pitiful to have a dig at Warren. WTF.