** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **

2010 Boxing Thread

superfoo

Re: 2010 Boxing Thread Sorry for the confusion, I usually have a system for football. I range it from 0.5 up to 3.0 and I base it on the section lists you get at the bookies. Last week I had Man U as a 3.0 so I put them on three different bets, whereas a game like Bolton vs Newcastle, I fancied Bolton but only as a 1.0 bet so I only put them on one section. For the Abraham vs Froch fight I rate the different methods of victory as; AA by KO,TKO OR DQ: 1.25 AA by Decision/Technical Decision: 1.75 CF by KO,TKO OR DQ:

• Replies 967
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: 2010 Boxing Thread Matthew Hatton V Roberto Belge

Bit of a mismatch to say the least, Belge is unbeaten, has fought nobody whatsoever of any decent standard and somehow finds himself fighting for the European Title. Hatton has really improved over the last 12 months of so with a credible draw with NDou and a decent win over Yuri Nuzhchenko. This fight is comfortably easier than both of those and he must fancy himself in a stoppage, I have never seen Belge box but a glance at his record shows he has hit the floor against some extremely mediocre opposition. Hatton should fancy himself to pull out a stoppage win here.

10 pts Hatton by stoppage 11/10 Ladbrokes.

Carl Froch V Arthur Abraham.

Fight of the year contender.

Carl Froch and Arthur Abraham are both coming into the fight off first career defeats, Froch losing out on a decision in Denmark to Kessler and Abraham being disqualified after hitting Andre Direll whilst the latter was on the floor. Although Dirrell was down he was a leader by a wide margin on all cards after schooling King Arthur and had he seen out the last round was heading for a comfortable victory.

Styles make fights and this should be a classic, Froch will come out attacking Abraham early as he knows he will need to put rounds in the bank for later as the Armenian gets stronger and stronger as the fight wears on, main problem I see for Carl in this fight is the way he carries his hands so low its going to make him so open to that straight right that Arthur can throw and we saw what happened to Jermain Taylor when he got hit by it. Froch has one of the best chins in the business but like many have said how long can that hold up if he is consistently hit by big punches here.

Pushed on a bet here I’m going to have to back Abraham to win by KO. I think it’s the perfect fight for him, he wont get schooled as he did by Direll, it could end up a total war and if they both end it swinging I think Froch will be the one to hit the canvas first.

5pts Abraham to stop Froch – 21/10 Paddy Power

Juan Manuel Marquez V Michael Katsidis.

Astonishing to think Katsidis will be going into this fight pretty much around a similar price he was to beat Kevin Mitchell if there is a touch more support for him :unsure

Props to Katsidis for showing here, his brother died earlier this month and to still go through with it shows the courage of the man, also leaves you in no doubt how deep he will have to dig in this fight if he has to. That said I juts can’t have him beating Marquez, JMM should be able to counter punch him all night coming forward and with the work rate Katsidis puts in its impossible not to see him slowing down as we get to the later rounds, think Marquez stops him late in a very brave effort. Marquez’s focus should be 100% for this, if he wins it Manny has to make a decision if to go for a 3rd fight with him or take on Mosley and there will probably be more call for the JMM match.

10pts Marquez to stop Katsidis 6/5 betfred

Andre Ward V Sakio Bika

Shouldn’t a problem for Ward, comfortably wide UD taking Bika to school, will try and find a price on something I like, that DQ price looks very tasty when you think just how frustrated Bika could get over 36 minutes here.

10pts Andre Ward to win by Unanimous decision Evens Skybet

Re: 2010 Boxing Thread

Matthew Hatton V Roberto Belge

Bit of a mismatch to say the least, Belge is unbeaten, has fought nobody whatsoever of any decent standard and somehow finds himself fighting for the European Title. Hatton has really improved over the last 12 months of so with a credible draw with NDou and a decent win over Yuri Nuzhchenko. This fight is comfortably easier than both of those and he must fancy himself in a stoppage, I have never seen Belge box but a glance at his record shows he has hit the floor against some extremely mediocre opposition. Hatton should fancy himself to pull out a stoppage win here.

Carl Froch V Arthur Abraham.

Fight of the year contender.

Carl Froch and Arthur Abraham are both coming into the fight off first career defeats, Froch losing out on a decision in Denmark to Kessler and Abraham being disqualified after hitting Andre Direll whilst the latter was on the floor. Although Dirrell was down he was a leader by a wide margin on all cards after schooling King Arthur and had he seen out the last round was heading for a comfortable victory.

Styles make fights and this should be a classic, Froch will come out attacking Abraham early as he knows he will need to put rounds in the bank for later as the Armenian gets stronger and stronger as the fight wears on, main problem I see for Carl in this fight is the way he carries his hands so low its going to make him so open to that straight right that Arthur can throw and we saw what happened to Jermain Taylor when he got hit by it. Froch has one of the best chins in the business but like many have said how long can that hold up if he is consistently hit by big punches here.

Pushed on a bet here I’m going to have to back Abraham to win by KO. I think it’s the perfect fight for him, he wont get schooled as he did by Direll, it could end up a total war and if they both end it swinging I think Froch will be the one to hit the canvas first.

5pts Abraham to stop Froch – 21/10 Paddy Power

Juan Manuel Marquez V Michael Katsidis.

Astonishing to think Katsidis will be going into this fight pretty much around a similar price he was to beat Kevin Mitchell if there is a touch more support for him :unsure

Props to Katsidis for showing here, his brother died earlier this month and to still go through with it shows the courage of the man, also leaves you in no doubt how deep he will have to dig in this fight if he has to. That said I juts can’t have him beating Marquez, JMM should be able to counter punch him all night coming forward and with the work rate Katsidis puts in its impossible not to see him slowing down as we get to the later rounds, think Marquez stops him late in a very brave effort. Marquez’s focus should be 100% for this, if he wins it Manny has to make a decision if to go for a 3rd fight with him or take on Mosley and there will probably be more call for the JMM match.

10pts Marquez to stop Katsidis 6/5 betfred

Andre Ward V Sakio Bika

Shouldn’t a problem for Ward, comfortably wide UD taking Bika to school, will try and find a price on something I like, that DQ price looks very tasty when you think just how frustrated Bika could get over 36 minutes here.

10pts Andre Ward to win by Unanimous decision Evens Skybet

Agree with every bet except Hatton by stoppage (havent seen enough of belge but I think hatton wins), and JMM by stoppage (katsidis is tough man). Abraham should get the KO, Ward should get the decision unless Bika gets himself DQd. Abraham vs Froch is a dream fight. What an event this is going to be! I think it starts slow until the 4th round.. Abraham will come out of his shell and start catching Froch with straight punches. Frochy will try to keep up the boxing style of movement but will get dragged into the trenches and start banging with AA, much like he did with Pascal. I think the end will come in frightening fashion and Froch may need the assistance of an oxygen mask on the canvas for several minutes, while the camera cuts to his anxious girlfriend looking on.

I also see Ward by UD as probably one of the safer bets I can remember. As Ward is on after Froch' date=' I will wait to see if I get that one right before going on Ward vs Bika.[/quote'] Bika is a rough guy in there. Ward fights rough himself and Bika will have none of it. Ward frustrates his opponents with his hitting and holding and the occasional "accidental" headbutt. A man of Bikas character is always liable to lose the plot. We could see a very dirty fight with elbows/low blows from Bika if he feels frustrated and feels that Ward is fighting dirty, as a lot of Wards opponents feel. On the other hand, Ward is capable to hitting and moving in this fight and winning the fight from the outside rather than his ricky-hattonesque style he used against Kessler and Green. I think he will try to take the fight to the inside and use similar tactics, but if Bika is having none of that and starts getting dirty himself, Ward might take the easier option of hitting and moving and trying to take the fight that way. It's risky to take him on points I feel. Bika has a legit chance of getting himself disqualified. The ref is going to be extremely pro-Ward and would probably look to DQ Bika without too many warnings. Bika seems like the kind of guy who wouldn't understand that.

Agree with every bet except Hatton by stoppage (havent seen enough of belge but I think hatton wins), and JMM by stoppage (katsidis is tough man). Abraham should get the KO, Ward should get the decision unless Bika gets himself DQd. Abraham vs Froch is a dream fight. What an event this is going to be! I think it starts slow until the 4th round.. Abraham will come out of his shell and start catching Froch with straight punches. Frochy will try to keep up the boxing style of movement but will get dragged into the trenches and start banging with AA, much like he did with Pascal. I think the end will come in frightening fashion and Froch may need the assistance of an oxygen mask on the canvas for several minutes, while the camera cuts to his anxious girlfriend looking on.
I hope to fck it does'nt play out as you've so graphically described :( Abraham @ 8/11..20 pts lads.....Taking this before it falls into line with the competition. Carl needs the stoppage here, but if AA takes his best, will he slip into survival mode knowing he gets another crack next year. Carl to be dropped is at an healthy 7/4, and it's unlikely he'll not have a visit to the canvas. He ships too much punishment, almost showcasing his whiskers..AA is methodical, and has a great brain. He'll not stray far from his usual 'feeling out' process, but to be fair, there's nothing tactical to feel out about the cobra. He'll be in front of you from the off. Some huge numbers available on King Arthur from 5th onwards. Still weighing them up.

Matthew Hatton V Roberto Belge

Excellent shout Matt. :clap

Can't wait for the boxing tonight. Anyone have ideas of times? I am betting a little on Katsidis win 9/4, I just have a feeling he may come out and spring a surprise tonight.
Froch is 10.30pm, other fight on same channel is 2am. Expect katsidis fight about same time. No Internet for me so I'll miss it. I thought it would have been on sky.

Cheers mate, got a link now. Despite Mitchells reported problems I was very impressed by Katsidis when we were at Upton Park, think he is a good price
I have a sneaky feeling Katsidis will win too, should be a cracker. I think the death of his brother could work in a positive way for him, more focused somehow. I've ordered Froch fight but not bet on it. It seems an ideal fight for AA for reasons mentioned by others, low left and reliance on his chin. Froch doesn't seem to learn and the caveman comments are spot on.

Re: 2010 Boxing Thread Marquez vs Katsidis is an interesting one. Katsidis doesn't really do anything special other than come forward with high intensity. Marquez has all the talent in the world but how much has he declined? He has never been knocked out, although he has been down. Does Katsidis have the power to knock him out? I think he might. But I think Marquez just has too many tools in the toolbox. He's seen the likes of Katsidis before. Remember, this man has fought Manny Pacquiao twice and arguably won both times! I think he slices Katsidis up with precise counter punches until the fight gets stopped. Marquez doesn't mind going toe to toe and still has very fast hands and good power.

Re: 2010 Boxing Thread Twitchy arse time...Froch via tko, ko etc @ 9/2 boyles 4 pts. On the Smurfman big, so makes sense to cover, in what will be warfare when they get into their stride. If Froch can hang tough and dish out his street-style tactics WITHOUT the referee stepping in with warnings,then AA can start to bitch. He's done it before when the borderline stuff has come his way, but he's usually had ref's on his side. As said before, AA has'nt looked the beast at this weight, whilst Carl has only traded at 168 all his life. Cannot for the life of me see Froch getting a decision. A fair few citing Abraham's slow starts and inactivity, giving the cobra the chance to build a healthy lead. This is a home fight for Abraham, and i reckon froch knows the score. Imo Froch needs a dominating clinic to get the nod...Abraham on points gives the Armenian a home tie v's Johnson, and sends Froch over to face Ward..where he'll deffo need the stoppage.

Re: 2010 Boxing Thread Berto ITD & Wards pts @ 3.05 ladbrokes...2 pts. The over-rated, molly coddled Berto gets another huge payday against a B level opponent, who's rated outside the top ten. Expect him to showcase himself tonight, as he clings to the notion of a Pacman bout.:D Hernandez an honest pro, with a bit of power, but he has been troubled by guys with less power than Berto. Ward v Bika already covered, and a hail mary of ward via disq already in place. Bika will give this is his best shot and doe'st respect reputations. He thinks he should have got the subs spot in the Super6 and it's hard to disagree, but when you have a such an ugly style of fighting which makes the ref the hardest worker in the ring, he won't get many favours. Teak tough is the Cameroonian, so if he behaves he should be on the wrong end of a schooling. But, if he's making it uncomfortable for the son of god, don't be surprised by a contoversial ending, to keep ward in one piece for the semi's. Bika bollo%ed a recent double by getting himself disq in his last bout, and ward himself is'nt averse to dishing out the agricultural stuff. The ref will earn his corn, and i'd hope for ward to deliver a clinic without being drawn into the trenches. A cut would be a disaster for him and the tournament. JMM and Kats..love both of 'em.what the sport is all about. The class with JMM and would expect him to negate the barrage fron Kats. should be a classic and one given is...the claret will flow. Enjoy the night!

Re: 2010 Boxing Thread I've gone against my own initial thoughts and only bet of the night, albeit a small one is Froch to win by ko/tko/dq at 4-1 with bet365, 5pts staked. He seems intensely focused and his career could be over if he loses this, he's 33 and isn't getting any younger. I don't think he will want it going to points. AA is a slow starter, if Froch can break him down first 5 rounds or so he can finish him about round 8-10. Looking forward to this. Good luck whatever you have gone with.

Re: 2010 Boxing Thread I wasn't aware Froch was capable of such a wonderful display of boxing, that was fantastic. Will the semi final against AA be in the uk? Definitely up for that if it is. AA was one dimensional, no plan b. We have a new WBC champion, well done Cobra, well deserved.

Re: 2010 Boxing Thread Old dogs can learn new tricks, well done Carl. I lost some money on this fight, bit gutted but Froch has grown on me now. If only I had read Greenoff's post before this fight because Berto ITD and Ward at those odds....jesus.

I wasn't aware Froch was capable of such a wonderful display of boxing' date=' that was fantastic. Will the semi final against AA be in the uk? Definitely up for that if it is. AA was one dimensional, no plan b. We have a new WBC champion, well done Cobra, well deserved.[/quote'] The semi is against Glen Johnson mate, and that will almost certainly be in Nottingham.

The semi is against Glen Johnson mate' date=' and that will almost certainly be in Nottingham.[/quote'] Cheers for that. After the froch fight they said he fights Abraham again but then after Ward beat Bika they interviewed Ward and asked him about his semi final with AA. I know the Marquez v Katsidis was a 9th round tko but how did the fight play out over those 9 rounds? Any knockdowns etc and was JMM just too good?

Re: 2010 Boxing Thread Never good to lose the hard-earned, but genuinely chuffed for the cobra. T'was a masterful performance from a true fighting man. Mentioned the doubts about AA at the 168 limit, given his opposition, but he had his heart ripped out by a man on a mission. I'm usually not one for playing the comparison game, as it's all opinions and nowt can ever be proved....but.... I'd have Froch's recent body of work over Calzaghe's illustrious reign. Pascal, Taylor, Dirrel, Kessler, Abraham is a serious ledger. Three unbeatens, two with lone defeats, and two of those wins in the lions den. The Abraham win was Carl's Lacy. It's a tradgedy Froch is'nt an household name. Not having a domestic rival did'nt help. Gentleman Glen next up (two fights with Calzaghe mysteriously fell through at this end back in the day) in Nottingham, and another top, top night is in store.

An under the radar for the end of November. Limited stakes but managed to get a 30 and 40 on. Into 10/11 from evens, still great value and won't last. It's a charity do in St Helens, involving several ex rugby league players facing off in several bouts, refereed by Steve Collins, in a white collar-type event.The main attraction, has Herol 'bomber' Graham in two exhibitions against current Super League stars, Lee Briers (who'll be bladdered) and Paul Wellens. If past Bomber exhibitions are the norm, this'll be the defensive master with virtually hands tied, inviting his opponents to lay a glove on him. A sight to behold, i assure you. The bet is Brian Mcdermott over Paul Sculthorpe. When competing on the field of play back in the day, the world class Scully was different gravy to the plodding prop forward. In the squared circle, Big Mc has the pedigree. An ex-forces champion, who seriously delved into going pro, before settling into the League game. Never saw anyone taking liberties with him..in fact infamous ex-Leeds enforcer Barrie McDermott, never went near him, and targeted the so-called 'top dog' of the time, Fieldon. Sculthorpe has undertaken boxathon traing, as have most modern rugby players, but has no actual ring experience. Can only be because he's a St Helens hero, thats he's up as F. A charity draw the best he can hope for, and stakes are void if that occurs. The still extremely disciplined (and fit) Mcdermot holds all the cards in this one, a fully trained boxer who still lives by the marine code,and i'll be trying to get some more down on this one. Cracking price.
On a brighter betting note...McDermott UD's Scully. Hills have weighed in, but still waiting on skybet.

Never good to lose the hard-earned, but genuinely chuffed for the cobra. T'was a masterful performance from a true fighting man. Mentioned the doubts about AA at the 168 limit, given his opposition, but he had his heart ripped out by a man on a mission. I'm usually not one for playing the comparison game, as it's all opinions and nowt can ever be proved....but.... I'd have Froch's recent body of work over Calzaghe's illustrious reign. Pascal, Taylor, Dirrel, Kessler, Abraham is a serious ledger. Three unbeatens, two with lone defeats, and two of those wins in the lions den. The Abraham win was Carl's Lacy. It's a tradgedy Froch is'nt an household name. Not having a domestic rival did'nt help. Gentleman Glen next up (two fights with Calzaghe mysteriously fell through at this end back in the day) in Nottingham, and another top, top night is in store.
What a performance by Carl. He really exposed Abraham. I gave Froch every single round on my card. To be honest, he could have stopped Abraham if he turned up the heat but stayed to his plan. Magnificient performance. The fight will really damage Abraham. It's his first real loss and he got outmanned in there. Against Dirrell, he lost the fight on a DQ but it looked like he was getting to Dirrell late and might have won. In this fight, he had no chance.. and got well beaten by a better man. Froch was just too good in every department. You have to wonder why Froch has elected to go toe to toe with bangers in the past when he could have adopted a more elegant approach and made fights slightly easier for himself. The one negative I have about the fight was Frochs girlfriend screaming in the crowd constantly. "Wooooooooo" "Wooooooooo" "He's uselesssssss carlie" "Woooooooooo" Wooooooooo". So annoying. She sounded like Ric Flair in the audience.