** April Poker League Result : 1st Like2Fish, 2nd McG, 3rd andybell666 **

World Cup Qualifiers 10/11 October 2009

Re: World Cup Qualifiers 10th October 2009

With what else they should be motivated? Apples, bread, clothes, vodka...? Those days are over. Didn't hear that Western Europeans receive their salaries and bonuses in anything but c.a.s.h.
Lol, fair point..all international players receive appearence fees and bonuses this is no different and hardly worthy of note from a betting point of view imo..

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So it's ok when players in EPL get 100.000 a week salary' date='yes?most of the players in estern Europe would be happy to get such money in a year not in just 1 week.No mate,you are sad with all your overpaid players,some of them don't even come out on the pitch.I'm sure everyone would be motivated with 50.000 - 100.000 quid a week,eh?[/quote'] I am Bulgarian so by saying that I was being critical of my own country as well. The Ukranian (could quite easily be Bulgarian/Serbian/Bosnian/Macedonian/etc/etc/etc) players are about to play one of the most important games of football in their lives with a place in the WORLD CUP at stake and you're telling me it's taken $1mil to get them motivated??? To get them up for this game they need a money incentive?? Pathetic. And don't give me that crap about players not being as well paid as here. I am sure the majority of the Ukranian national team play in top European leagues so somehow I don't think they'll be struggling to make ends meet.

I am Bulgarian so by saying that I was being critical of my own country as well. The Ukranian (could quite easily be Bulgarian/Serbian/Bosnian/Macedonian/etc/etc/etc) players are about to play one of the most important games of football in their lives with a place in the WORLD CUP at stake and you're telling me it's taken $1mil to get them motivated??? To get them up for this game they need a money incentive?? Pathetic.
Yes,agree it's pathetic but as i said before for some players football is no more then just a job.Also if you take Ukraine team,Milevsky is not even ukrainian,he is from Belarus so what's a point for him to play for Ukraine?

And don't give me that crap about players not being as well paid as here. I am sure the majority of the Ukranian national team play in top European leagues so somehow I don't think they'll be struggling to make ends meet.
Majority?Sheva plays in D.Kiev now,Voronin - on the bench in Liverpool,Tymoschuk in Bayern...rest of the players from Ukrainian league.

YAlso if you take Ukraine team' date='Milevsky is not even ukrainian,he is from Belarus so what's a point for him to play for Ukraine?[/quote'] Excellent point! :ok It's nowadays more and more frequent case that players who have certain football quality, but not enough to be capped for their own country, take citizenship of another country where they are likely to get a place; most known example in my area is Brazilian guy Da Silva, who would probably never get a chance for Carioca squad, but he took a Croatian citizenship, and became one of their key players (untill his unfortunate and miserable injury a couple of months ago); now, I can't imagine him having any patriotic feelings to country he plays for, apart from probably decent vagues...

Re: World Cup Qualifiers 10th October 2009 I think that there is plenty of value in backing some of the lesser lights this week: Liechtenstein (2.80) to beat Azerbaijan. Liechtenstein +0.5 AH (1.51) to beat Azerbaijan. Of course both sides are poor, but Liechtenstein managed a shock 1-1 draw at home to Finland in their last match. They have also produced some good defensive performances in the away 0-0 draw against Azerbaijan, and only lost by one goal at home to Russia and away in Finland. The Azeris are pointless away from home in the group, in fact, they have failed to score a single away goal. Home win. Zambia (3.60) to beat Egypt. Zambia or Draw (1.72) vs Egypt. This is by no means an easy match for the Egyptians as the bookmakers seem to make it. A win for Zambia would see them join Egypt on seven points in the group, still with an outside chance of qualification. Egypt could do with a win too in order to put added pressure on Algeria to beat Rwanda, but the pressure is mostly on them and Zambia has nothing to lose it seems. A pressure to win can sometimes have an adverse effect and Zambia are no mugs themselves. They have conceded only four goals from their last six matches, whereas Egypt have conceded ten in the same period. Not a banker home win, but this could be a surprise. Guinea (2.37) to beat Burkina Faso. Neither country can qualify for the World Cup, but I am surprised that Guinea are not shorter priced than this. There is not much to choose between both teams form, with Guinea surprisingly losing to Malawi last time out as Burkina Faso were crushed 5-0 by Ivory Coast. However, Guinea have plenty of attacking threat in the shape of Pascal Feindouno, Ibrahima Bangoura and Ismael Bangoura. Most of Burkina Faso's threat comes from Moumouni Dagano, but if Guinea can keep him in check, they can win this match with home advantage. I also think that Slovakia (2.20) [although a draw may suit both them and their opponents Slovenia], England (2.50), USA (2.71) and Paraguay (3.6) look good value too. Slovakia may only need a point to qualify for their first World Cup finals, and a point would also grant their opponents Slovenia a play-off spot [hence why the draw is only 2.75]. But the Slovakians have won all bar one of their home qualifiers and Slovenia are yet to win away in the group. Also, Slovakia may want to qualify in style with a win, and how better to do that than against their rivals? Tempting to go for the draw, but at 2.20 Slovakia look overpriced here. England should probably be shorter than 2.50 on offer for their trip to Kiev. The Ukrainians can leapfrog Croatia into second spot with a win, but despite only losing 2-1 at Wembley they looked a mediocre outfit. The argument that England may ease off as they have already qualified seems ridiculous to me. Fabio Capello is a hard taskmaster and his comments this week suggests that nothing short of win is not acceptable. The players seem to understand this and look eager to please at every opportunity. I also like the look of the USA at 2.71 away in Honduras. They may have only gained four points from a possible 12 away from home, losing to Mexico and Costa Rica in the process, but knowing that a win would see them qualify for the World Cup they can rise to the challenge. Honduras have won all their home games, but this is a step up in class. The USA is the better team, and I will take them to win at a good price. Despite already qualifying for the World Cup finals, Paraguay look overpriced at 3.60 to beat Venezuela. The Venezuelans can still qualify but tend to struggle when they come up against the better sides. Much like England players, why should the Paraguay players take this game easy and risk their participation in next year's event? Players will be looking to impress and keep their places in the squad, and an away win is excellent value. I would certainly double up on Cameroon (1.44) and Norway (1.95) at 2.81. Cameroon require a win and are in much better form than their opponents on Saturday. They have won four of their last six, conceding just three goals, and head into this match after important back-to-back wins over second placed Gabon. Togo, despite the presence of Emmanuel Adebayor, simply do not score enough goals. A 6-0 win over Swaziland contributes to a total of 8 in their last 6 matches. The Togolese defence may also struggle against the quality of players such as Samuel Eto'o, like they did in the 3-0 away loss to Gabon. Home banker for me. Similarly, I can't see past Norway at close to evens to beat South Africa. I tend to avoid friendly internationals, but this has to be taken. The Norwegians are in fairly good form with two wins and a draw from their last three matches. South Africa have not played since the Confederations Cup where they only won one match from five played. With a lot of African-based players in their squad, the gruelling flight from South Africa to Norway may further affect their chances. Some money could be made in the handicaps too: Kazakhstan +1.5 (2.00) to beat Belarus - Belarus should win, but with a 2-goal start Kazakhstan can keep this close. Scotland +1 (2.50) to beat Japan - despite a long flight Scotland are good enough [and Japan poor enough] for this to be a draw.

I think that there is plenty of value in backing some of the lesser lights this week: Liechtenstein (2.80) to beat Azerbaijan. Zambia (3.60) to beat Egypt. Guinea (2.37) to beat Burkina Faso. I also think that Slovakia (2.20) [although a draw may suit both them and their opponents Slovenia], England (2.50), USA (2.71) and Paraguay (3.6) look good value too. I would certainly double up on Cameroon (1.44) and Norway (1.95) at 2.81. Some money could be made in the handicaps too: Kazakhstan +1.5 (2.00) to beat Belarus. Scotland +1 (2.50) to beat Japan. Rwanda or Draw (4.5) vs Algeria. And also [as above]: Liechtenstein +0.5 AH (1.51) to beat Azerbaijan. Zambia or Draw (1.72) vs Egypt.
Your first 3 matches are interesting, but i dont think so about japan vs scotland with the handicap thing arround... because japan are playing good though... edited ;) :)

u'r first 3 matches are interesting' date=' but i dont think so about japan vs scotland with da handicap thing arround... cuz japan are playing good...[/quote'] :welcome to PL. :ok Text language is not appreciated on PL, please edit your post, as there are many non English speakers on here too. :ok

hi all first post i think but just thought i'd mention a little flutter i've got on this weekend montenegro to beat georgia @ 1.65 slovakia to beat @ 2.12 russia and germany to draw @ 3.31 £3 bet to win £33 i love reading all the opinions on here by different people with different knowledge. personally i wouldn't dream of betting on international week but bugger it, gotta be in it to win it! :-)
:welcome to PL. :ok We do need some reasoning behind your bets though mate or it's meaningless to anyone. :ok

Mulling over a couple of bets in the qualifying card this weekend: Montenegro v Georgia - Draw (11/4) The odds on a Montenegro win are absurdly low, and I don't know why they are dropping. Does no-one realise that they haven't managed to win a single qualification game in eight attempts? Last time around, they were held to a 1-1 draw at home by Cyprus in which they only scored through a penalty. Four days earlier, they were thumped 4-1 in Bulgaria. How can anyone back a side in this form at odds-on? Granted, Georgia's campaign has been something of a damp squib, but they've hardly been whipping boys - they were highly unfortunate away to Ireland when they led 1-0 for 70 minutes before a controversial penalty proved the turning point in a 2-1 defeat. When the sides met in Tbilisi in April, they played out a goalless draw, and I would expect another stalemate this time around. A price of 11/4 looks too big; there's certainly no value in the home win. Slovakia v Slovenia - Draw (13/8) When the draw was made, who would have thought this meeting between the fourth and fifth-seeded sides would prove decisive in qualification from Group 3? The similarly-named countries which confused a certain George Walker Bush have overcome their lowly ranking and are now in pole position to finish as the top two sides in the group. It's somewhat unusual to see a draw priced lower than 2/1 in qualification, but there's a good reason for this. A point guarantees that Slovakia will win the group and thus automatically qualify for their first ever major finals. It would also take Slovenia to 15 points with the prospect of San Marino four days later representing a guaranteed three points. That would give the Slovenes a total of 18 points which can, in theory, be matched by Czech Republic who face Poland and Northern Ireland at home in their last two home games. In the first place, though, I would be surprised if the Czechs won both games; they lost to Poland earlier in the campaign and only drew with Northern Ireland. Even if they managed to accumulate six points from these games, Slovenia's last-day meeting against San Marino sets them in good stead to rack up a decisive goal difference advantage. With this in mind, you would think Slovakia would be ecstatic with a draw and Slovenia would be very satisfied too.
Fantastic first post. :clap :welcome to PL. :ok

Re: World Cup Qualifiers 10th October 2009 Not sure if the draw suits both in the Slovakia game. As the Slovenians go to San Marino after that, a win here will grant them a top spot in the group and avoiding a risky play-off. The Slovaks might well be happy with the draw, but the theory that if ten minutes from time the game is drawn, both teams will just hold on is simply false. I daresay that in this case the Slovenians will push forward (and it is much more of motivation that the "help Czechs" thing on the Slovak side. I'd rather lay the draw in this.

Re: World Cup Qualifiers 10th October 2009 England vs Ukraine and Ireland vs Italy look like ties which should be left well alone. My interest lies in the games where superior teams with a chance to qualify are playing inferior teams with no hope. So I like the look of Serbia, Switzerland and maybe Portugal as an add on in a multiple.

Not sure if the draw suits both in the Slovakia game. As the Slovenians go to San Marino after that' date=' a win here will grant them a top spot in the group and avoiding a risky play-off. The Slovaks might well be happy with the draw, but the theory that if ten minutes from time the game is drawn, both teams will just hold on is simply false. I daresay that in this case the Slovenians will push forward (and it is much more of motivation that the "help Czechs" thing on the Slovak side. I'd rather lay the draw in this.[/quote'] Hi Tulenos, do u have any team news for slovakia, are they missing any important players ?? the price has gone up from 2.00 to 2.10 with paddy power. I did back Slovakia to win this match, did put my post in this forum earlier on , was wondering maybe u know more than i do since u r from czech rep, do u think that slovakia would do czech rep a favour by going and winning the game against slovenia, as we know a draw would qualify slovakia and will also suit slovenia, but it wont suit czech republic. How are the relation ship between czech rep and slovakia,in realtion to sport. Maybe my question is off teh topic, but smetimes these things work in sport, example England would be more happy to see Ukraine Qualify than Croatia, reason being coz of the last years elimination of England by Croatia, and Croatia could cause troubles to england again in the future if they are qualified. Thanks In Advance mate

Re: World Cup Qualifiers 10th October 2009 I like the look of Bosnia, they need to win to get at least a play off spot and won't want to leave it until a very difficult away game at Switzerland. hey should be good enough to beat Estona who have nothing but pride to play for

Re: World Cup Qualifiers 10th October 2009 FYI - News from the Ukraine website regarding the England game on sat Team losses Before the final phase of the qualifying the blue-yellows faced significant losses in the defense. Dmytro Chygrynskiy and Andriy Rusol are ruled out of the match due to the injuries, while Vitaliy Mandzyuk is suspended against England due to bookings.

My interest lies in the games where superior teams with a chance to qualify are playing inferior teams with no hope. So I like the look of Serbia, Switzerland and maybe Portugal as an add on in a multiple.
These teams need to win. Why does needing to win automatically mean they will go out and blow the opposition away all the time?

Re: World Cup Qualifiers 10th October 2009 Here is Voronin's interview(in russian) about match

For those who don't speak russian: basicly he said they will play hard and try to break you phisicly.He hopes England will try to play softer/carefull in order to avoid injuries.So get ready for Rambo lads.I think in this case i have to check card market and maybe go with 4 or more yellow cards as Ukraine have nothing to loose anyway-they will fight.

Re: World Cup Qualifiers 10th October 2009 Here we go, my bets for this weekend: Portugal v Hungary Portugal has real problems to strike goals and with Hungary they face a team who knows that getting points here will mean to defend and set counter attacks (if even that). I expect a close Portugal win or a draw and I do not see many goals in this match. My bet: Under 2,5 5/10 @2.25 Ukraine v England Usually things go not as they should go on paper. Just a slight look at group table show me that England can trouble Croatia to qualify by letting Ukraine win this one. Sounds ridicilious but I won't wonder if we see a home win here. My bet: Ukraine 5/[email protected] Greece v Lettland Lettland show some great performances in past and I doubt Greece will easily nick in three points here. Expecting a close match, Greece may get in a difficult win by one goal margin. My bets: Handicap Tie (win by one goal margin) 5/10 @3.75 and Latvia AH +0,5 5/10 @3.15 Slovakia v Slovenia Smells like Slovakia will "surprisingly" lose points in this match. They are leader of the group and losing here would help Slovenia big time.. ;) My bet: Slovenia +0,5 5/10 @1.65 Ireland v Italy Table situation shows that sitting on draw would not damage both teams at all. Odds for draw are quite low, but is simply the most likely result here.. My bet: Draw 5/10 @2.8 Serbia v Romania Simply cannot trust this match to end in a logical way. Two teams from east, money may play a role here and I again won't be surprised to see a result letting earn some people money with a "surprising" result. My bet: Rumania AH +0,5 5/10 @2.25 Slight comment: All my bets are simply based on table view and possible surprises considering the odds given. Good luck everyone :ok

There is no way Bulgaria deserves odds as low as 1,83 away to Cyprus. IMO the best they would get is a high-scoring draw, but I seriously doubt that too. - zero chances for both teams to qualify; - gone are the days when the Bulgarian team will play for pride; - domestic scandals involving both top teams, Levski and CSKA; - top players ( if they play at all for full 90 mins ) will rather stay away from heavy tackles in order to perform well in the foreign clubs and avoid injuries; - a couple of young guns might shine at moments, either because they are close to transfers to better clubs or just because young as they are they calculate less. This will never be enough away to Cyprus, where I have seen players giving 100% in international matches. Big or small, the crowd will be always behind their team and players playing with heart. I will start watching Bulgarian football again IF we get more than a point from there :) Cyprus + 0,5 AH @ 1,87 GL
It looks like Manager Stoilov is taking the best available - Berbatov, Martin and Stilian Petrov, Bojinov, Georgiev - all these are influential enough to make the difference in this game. Won't change or support my pick with some insurance, rather follow it in-play as I still think hosts are underestimated...

Hi Tulenos, do u have any team news for slovakia, are they missing any important players ?? the price has gone up from 2.00 to 2.10 with paddy power. I did back Slovakia to win this match, did put my post in this forum earlier on , was wondering maybe u know more than i do since u r from czech rep, do u think that slovakia would do czech rep a favour by going and winning the game against slovenia, as we know a draw would qualify slovakia and will also suit slovenia, but it wont suit czech republic. How are the relation ship between czech rep and slovakia,in realtion to sport. Maybe my question is off teh topic, but smetimes these things work in sport, example England would be more happy to see Ukraine Qualify than Croatia, reason being coz of the last years elimination of England by Croatia, and Croatia could cause troubles to england again in the future if they are qualified. Thanks In Advance mate
Hi nori - I actually don't think there are any missings in the Slovak camp and the odds move may be due to the fact that the most popular outcome among punters seems to be the draw. Well, as for Czech-Slovak relations it's difficult to say how the Slovaks feel. This and that player has reportedly told this or that Czech player they wanted to win to keep us alive, but who knows - in fact, there's a lot of rivalry between the two nations in sport, but mostly when it's down to a H2H match. I'm inclined to believe that they will do their best to win, even more so - as I wrote above - that in the case of draw there is always a danger of a late goal, and they are in the pole position now, but would definitely fail to win the group if they lose to the Slovenians (as they simply will win in San Marino).

Excellent point! :ok It's nowadays more and more frequent case that players who have certain football quality, but not enough to be capped for their own country, take citizenship of another country where they are likely to get a place; most known example in my area is Brazilian guy Da Silva, who would probably never get a chance for Carioca squad, but he took a Croatian citizenship, and became one of their key players (untill his unfortunate and miserable injury a couple of months ago); now, I can't imagine him having any patriotic feelings to country he plays for, apart from probably decent vagues...
you have almost made make a rude comment here, and i really don't want to be banned! man, eduardo da silva is in croatia since he was a boy, got married here, done enough to be signed by arsenal. who scored those important goals against england in last qualies? i am not worried about him, if he were to play, he would have gave his best. it's the others i am worried about. balcan's mentality is a dangerous thing.

you have almost made make a rude comment here' date=' and i really don't want to be banned! man, eduardo da silva is in croatia since he was a boy, got married here, done enough to be signed by arsenal. who scored those important goals against england in last qualies? i am not worried about him, if he were to play, he would have gave his best. it's the others i am worried about. balcan's mentality is a dangerous thing.[/quote'] Hmmmmmm, I don't feel it was a rude comment at all! But it's just my opinion, I apologize if you felt offended; and basically, you said the same thing as I did:

Re: England > Weekend > FA Cup R3 Qualifying Oct 10-11 England won the first meeting between the sides 2-1 at Wembley last April. John Terry scored an 85th-minute winner after Andriy Shevchenko had equalised Peter Crouch’s opener

Both teams have scored in five of England’s six games against teams other than Andorra and seven of England’s eight qualifiers have had over 2.5 goals, with six having over 3.5 goals

Five of Ukraine’s eight qualifiers have had over 2.5 goals, with both teams scoring in four of those games

Ukraine are still playing for second place in the group – a win here will lift them one place and a point above Croatia, with one game to play Since Ukraine’s final game is at home to Andorra, a win over England would all but seal their place in the play-offs

Re: World Cup Qualifiers 10th October 2009 Argentina v Peru - This is my only bet on Sat, and its also my second maximum stakes bet of the season (the first being Maccabi Haifa v Glentoran in the champs league qualifiers which finished 6-0 same again would be nice!)..a lot has been made about the apparent crisis within the Argentine setup..Maradona is prob a crap coach his appointment was based on sentiment rather than coaching ability and it wouldnt surprise me if he was pushed out before the finals start but im pretty certain Argentina will be there..there is another thread about the 1/5 on Argentina qualifying for the finals which is prob about right and I feel it is a cash machine bet but its not my kind of bet to be honest.. The line up for the game is likely to be :Sergio Romero, Jonas Gutierrez, Rolando Schiavi, Gabriel Heinze, Emiliano Insua, Enzo Perez, Javier Mascherano, Angel Di Maria, Pablo Aimar, Lionel Messi and Gonzalo Higuain In terms of 'must win' games this is right up there..Argentina simply have to win, it would be a national disaster if they didnt qualify and imo this will motivate rather than intimidate the team..I think putting Higuain in the side is a good move, he has been playing well for Real for a couple of years now and deserves his chance, Aimar is a risk as he hasnt played for a while for the national team but he may be whats needed to break through a Peru side that is likely to pack the defence plus they will have Aguero (or Higuain depending on the line-up) on the bench ready to come on..Di Maria returns after a four game ban but they are also playing without a recognised right back due to injuries and Maradonas dodgy selection policy however i dont consider this a major problem considering the opposition.. Peru are a truly awful side away from home, they pick up plenty of points at home (lost only 3 in 8 at home since the start of 2008) due to the altitude but away they have lost the last 11(!) a measure of the difference home and away are the matches against Uruguay who they lost to 6-0 away but beat 1-0 at home..no real selection news to speak of, they have a couple of missings and continue to overlook strikers Jefferson Farfan and Claudio Pizarro over disciplinary issues, and they still play Nobby Solano for Christ sake!..they wont lay down and die but they dont have the quality to withstand a defeat against a highly motivated Argentina.. -1 Handicap..1.44 Coral..10/10 Stake -2 Handicap..2.0 Skybet.. 7/10 Stake Correct Scores: 1-0 Stake 2/10 (just in case!) 2-0 Stake 0.5/10 3-0 Stake 0.5/10 4-0 Stake 0.5/10

It looks like Manager Stoilov is taking the best available - Berbatov' date=' Martin and Stilian Petrov, Bojinov, Georgiev - all these are influential enough to make the difference in this game. Won't change or support my pick with some insurance, rather follow it in-play as I still think hosts are underestimated...[/quote'] Last info i have is that Berbatov wont play these last 2 games as they are on one hand not that important as much of the hope to go through is already lost. And on the other hand he and his wife will have a newborn these days and he is expected to be with her in this very important moment of life :) Even though my thoughts on the game is that Bulgaria will push and probably get a win by 1 goal. Its just the team is so unpredictable - they lose when they are expected to win easily and win when no one thinks they will so small stakes on Bulgaria to win gl