** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** ELO Ratings are now back **

The Mole

Guest gazza271

Re: The Mole

No i play it like a nintendo game' date=' i want to see what the next level looks like. A good example was last week i played a hand where i bet 12k on a bluff to win an 8k pot. the following day i was in the town where i saw a pair of trainers for £90 and thought im not paying that. ( maybe thats just the scottish in me)[/quote'] I can understand that, I think. I've certainly never bet 12k on anything, but I bet amounts (not on poker) that are many times more than I'd spend in a day, and I don't find it scary. I think of my "betting bank" as completely separate from my other finances, and I find that if I do that then I can treat it as points in a game and make dispassionate decisions about how much to bet without really thinking of it as money that I could spend on things.

• Replies 474
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

:ok Sounds like a great approach To turn the question around on Mike - do you not fear that the way you're playing, you're playing below where you could be and achieving less than you could? By withdrawing all your profits, and worrying about the "money" you have on the table, are you not costing yourself money....
Thanks for the response Mole, I understand what your saying there. GAF, I think your right,potentially it is costing me money, its certainly something I've got to get over. I play more tourneys than cash, because I tend to feel thats all I can lose. It might sound daft, but I'll quite happly enter a $100 tourney if Ive got on that in my account, but feel a bit worried about putting the same amount on a cash table, yet potentially I suspose there is more chance of making a profit on the cash game.

Re: The Mole Tx for all the kind words. I am an instinctive player so if its odds and %s you ask about i'm not the man, best to ask Gaf or one of the other guys that are good at that. i am a bit wary of learning all that kinda stuff ( its not broken so dont fix it ). but i certainly can tell you what i think when i play. I recently read Brunsons super systems but i did not find anything in there that was new to me. for me you cant beat experience. but each to thier own.

Re: The Mole I'm very encouraged by your thoughts on poker Mole. I had a dabble with poker tracker but felt that it led to ABC poker so left it alone, but recently thought that I may be at a disadvantage by not advocating it's usage. I must say though that I always calculate odds and this is a big part of my game. You are obviously so good you don't need to:ok

Re: The Mole At the stakes you play at I assume you see a relatively small number of players. Do you have any kind of feel of what the percentages are of: 1. Rich people looking for kicks to whom the money is of little significance, 2. People like yourself earning their living from the game? Do they come and go (get bust) frequently or does the pool of players mostly stay the same?

At the stakes you play at I assume you see a relatively small number of players. Do you have any kind of feel of what the percentages are of: 1. Rich people looking for kicks to whom the money is of little significance, 2. People like yourself earning their living from the game? Do they come and go (get bust) frequently or does the pool of players mostly stay the same?
There are a few recreational/rich players ( great if you can get into thier table). only 1 or 2 though Recently i have noticed a lot more players playing at the higher levels, not sure why. Most the players who are making a similar living to myself i know. You usually find we go up and down the levels depending on the field ( look for value tables) and confidence or if any of us has taken a big hit. if you do take a big hit its advisable to go down the stakes and grind, most people do it the other way trying to chase thier loses. It's actually quite noticable which type of player will probs go bust you can see they play TOO fearless (reckless), although fearless is good

At the stakes you play at I assume you see a relatively small number of players. Do you have any kind of feel of what the percentages are of: 1. Rich people looking for kicks to whom the money is of little significance, 2. People like yourself earning their living from the game? Do they come and go (get bust) frequently or does the pool of players mostly stay the same?
Another point on this subject is when people are playing out of thier depth ( stakes ) they play too tight and really dont have any chance of winning unless they get a card rush, then run Also you get people coming in drunk late at night and again its really a donation

Re: The Mole great thread this.congrats mole on your success long may it continue.so do you multi table?having watched many games on 50/100 on boss i got the distinct impression the guy with the least fear usually wins(possibly short term)watching last night and 1 guy won over 6k in about 10 mins purely by bullying(big al something his id)

Re: The Mole Yes, big gay al = mr aki him along with hellblood are the top bullies who both win much more than i do. they are not scared to put the right bets in ( whatever the size ). i remember 1 night not long ago i was involved in a hand with Al i had AA after the pf raises flop came 972 he bet i raised and he went all in for 35k, i called cant remember turn and river but he had 74os and i won a monster pot. but think about the fearlessness behind his bet, he wins most pots there as i needed a monster to call. ( some may even fold AA).Also he has outs. hope this makes sense yes i multi table 5/10 i play 3, 4 or 5 usually 10/20 - 2 or 3 25/50 - 2 50/100 & 100/200 - 1 or 1 and 1 lower stake but not black and white on this

Re: The Mole Must echo everyone else's thoughts this is a great thread:ok Mole reading the posts I presume your mainly a cash play, do you play many tourneys live and online? If not is that something you think you will do more of in the future, playing the EPT circuit perhaps?

Must echo everyone else's thoughts this is a great thread:ok Mole reading the posts I presume your mainly a cash play, do you play many tourneys live and online? If not is that something you think you will do more of in the future, playing the EPT circuit perhaps?
Yes first i am a cash player.....but i have had good results throughout my time in online tourneys as a few on here will know. this year i played in goa, dublin, edinburgh,amsterdam and had a few reasonable results but yes thats where the fame is at, so thats what i want to do next

Re: The Mole Mole, I'm not an 'odds player' but this struck with me on a couple of levels.

Tx for all the kind words. I am an instinctive player so if its odds and %s you ask about i'm not the man' date=' best to ask Gaf or one of the other guys that are good at that. i am a bit wary of learning all that kinda stuff ( its not broken so dont fix it ). but i certainly can tell you what i think when i play. I recently read Brunsons super systems but i did not find anything in there that was new to me. for me you cant beat experience. but each to thier own.[/quote'] I know that you have a desire to be the best and I also know you have the natural ability. Now I struggled through SS2 and I still haven't read Harrington on Hold Em but I have read a lot of magazine articles about the top players and more than one has said that learning the maths side of poker took their game to another level. Do you think that you can get to the top without the maths or do you know that, sooner or later, you are going to have to learn as well? One other thing. You've started to play in pro events. Are there any players who have completely owned you at a table yet? (you can't count Big Gay Al cos I know you respect him)

Mole, I'm not an 'odds player' but this struck with me on a couple of levels. I know that you have a desire to be the best and I also know you have the natural ability. Now I struggled through SS2 and I still haven't read Harrington on Hold Em but I have read a lot of magazine articles about the top players and more than one has said that learning the maths side of poker took their game to another level. Do you think that you can get to the top without the maths or do you know that, sooner or later, you are going to have to learn as well? One other thing. You've started to play in pro events. Are there any players who have completely owned you at a table yet? (you can't count Big Gay Al cos I know you respect him)
On the maths i seem to have a natural ability to feel where i am, but i dont know things like "its 4/1" to hit i just know whether there is a good chance or not ( feel factor). i am not sure whether to take the time to learn it right now. and if i did what are the best ways to do so? I think the odds/%s would be more important at tourneys as high stakes cash is more about power and feel.... i think No i have never been owned at the table in any live event and dont think i could be, as there is certainly less pressure here than what i do every day. if i,m being bullied i always pick my time and play back ( depends what table image i have, how i would do this). I think this is a very good question and one that deserves more disscussion as it is something i have been thinking about.

Hi Mole, A completely random question but it interests me. What % of your hands go to the river would you say?
hmmm really not sure on this one. I find this hard to answer, but i will look the stats when the poker room opens back up I know on a danish forum it say's the mole = showdown muppet at 5/10 so probs high at that level.:)

Re: The Mole Hi Mole Do you keep any comparitive records for how you do to at each of the different levels you play, or do you just play a "what you want when you want" srtrategy. Noticed you on wed start on a couple of 5/10 tables and lost a few 100 euro. checked a bit later and you were playing 10/20 and were between 3 and 4k up at each table. Is it possible that high stakes players have "less respect" for their buy ins at lower levels? An therefore is it worth looking for players on a downward spiral

I'm very interested in these stats' date=' so if you could dig them out, that would be great. :ok[/quote'] realy not sure, i had to reinstall after the upgrade but the stats i have are fold before flop 64% on flop 4% on turn 3% on river 0% no flop on river 26% but this is only after 1000 hands

Hi Mole Do you keep any comparitive records for how you do to at each of the different levels you play, or do you just play a "what you want when you want" srtrategy. Noticed you on wed start on a couple of 5/10 tables and lost a few 100 euro. checked a bit later and you were playing 10/20 and were between 3 and 4k up at each table. Is it possible that high stakes players have "less respect" for their buy ins at lower levels? An therefore is it worth looking for players on a downward spiral
I write which games i play and how much i win on each day, but that can be mixed. And yes def less respect for the lower stakes. i use them to either burn off steam, see how i'm playing or grinding to get confidence back. so i dont always play like a muppet there. If i were you i would monitor how a high stakes player is playing at these levels before i played. Also there is completley no fear for us at that level so it can be dangerous for players with a small BR