** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

The Mole

Guest gazza271

• Replies 474
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: The Mole Hi, do you think that if anybody worked hard enough at it they could become as good as you at poker, or do you believe it takes a certain personality/individual to become succesfull. e.g if i worked my ass off 24 hours a day practicing at football, id still never be as good as ronaldinho, woul you say its the same with poker?

Re: The Mole

Hi, do you think that if anybody worked hard enough at it they could become as good as you at poker, or do you believe it takes a certain personality/individual to become succesfull. e.g if i worked my ass off 24 hours a day practicing at football, id still never be as good as ronaldinho, woul you say its the same with poker?
I think the more you practise the better you will become, as with everything. I am just an ordinary bloke who happens to be good at poker ( don't know why) but i am always learning and keep an open mind.

PokerTracker now (mostly) works on the Boss cash tables I believe... There are multiple ways you can use it - either for live information, or for post game analysis..... As you said, if it isn't broke, dont try and fix it - it does seem that a live tracker may be more of a hinderance than a help to you (though, when you are multitabling, can you manage to get reads on the way your opponents are playing?) However, have you considered taking your hand history, and running some checks on the collective results? It might help you plug a few leaks? (I know you're crushing the game, but I believe everyone has leaks, even up to the highest level - if you haven't done some serious post game analysis of your play, I'm sure you have some :unsure) It will also, level by level give you a profit per hour (table hour and "real" hour if multitabling)
Yep this sounds interesting to me, i have thought about the tracker before but it was not compatible with boss, so it is something i might look at in the new year. when i get around to it , is it ok if i pm you for some details?

Re: The Mole :D Do you fish a lot? :lol I'm not asking whether you're a fish (I know that answer ;)). What I mean is do you find more appeal in playing hands like suited connectors (as an example) as opposed to premium pocket pairs? I know you had a good win the other night, and while that memory is fresh can I ask whether its a 'different' Mole playing MTT's from the one crushing the ring games. If it is (as I think it is) how tough do you find getting in the different frame of mind needed for tourney poker?

:D Do you fish a lot? :lol I'm not asking whether you're a fish (I know that answer ;)). What I mean is do you find more appeal in playing hands like suited connectors (as an example) as opposed to premium pocket pairs? I know you had a good win the other night, and while that memory is fresh can I ask whether its a 'different' Mole playing MTT's from the one crushing the ring games. If it is (as I think it is) how tough do you find getting in the different frame of mind needed for tourney poker?
Yes i fish but only in value situations if there are good implied odds, or if people dont bet thier hands properly ( and most dont) I do play different in the early part of tourneys ( easy to adjust) more patient. but i find in the later stages my experience at the high stakes really helps as i dont have the same fear as most. it becomes a high stakes game really as there is a lot at stake.

I think you play mostly at short-handed tables? Do you ever play high-stakes cash games at full tables? And if so, do you feel you have a significantly smaller edge at those?
Yes i only play short handed, i think there is far more skill required their. going 10 handed it becomes a tourney situation. less chance to bluff

Re: The Mole Hi Mole, could ask a thousand Q's but this one will do: How do you play small/middle pocket pairs? With pockets 8 and below i always look to limp hoping to hit a set on the flop but do you see more value in raising with them pre flop as it can give more chance to win the pot or what? Thanks.

if people dont bet thier hands properly (and most dont)
Mole, many thanks for all your answers so far in this thread. I think its an education for most of us (certainly is for me!) Could I ask you to expand on what you mean in the above comment? I'm very intrigued by this idea. Many thanks.

Hi Mole, could ask a thousand Q's but this one will do: How do you play small/middle pocket pairs? With pockets 8 and below i always look to limp hoping to hit a set on the flop but do you see more value in raising with them pre flop as it can give more chance to win the pot or what? Thanks.
I don't do the same thing all the time but,I raise with any pair (short hand high stakes) because its important to have the power so to speak ( harder to call than bet). At the lower levels 5/10, 10 /20 and i sometimes limp.

Mole, many thanks for all your answers so far in this thread. I think its an education for most of us (certainly is for me!) Could I ask you to expand on what you mean in the above comment? I'm very intrigued by this idea. Many thanks.
This is one of the most important things i see wrong with interenet players, all through the levels i notice the majority don't bet enough. Say for instance there is 3k in the pot P1 with a set bets 1k, P2 with top pair top kicker calls, P1 could have bet 2k and been called so really not taking full advantage. I know there are rules about % you should bet, but i think good players know how much they will get away with. i sometimes overbet the pot to make it look like a bluff against certain players who seem to fall for it everytime. Even in the low levels $10 in the pot and you see someone bet $2 get called, they win the pot and are happy, but i know they could have bet $6 and won an extra $4. Hard to explain but look out for it. The majority miss oppertunities and don,t even know it.

Was going to post a hand there that rattled me, but it wont come up i had jq raised 80, 2 callers flop 9tj i bet 200, 1 fold other raised 800 i went all in for another 800 he called. he had a8 river 7, sick
Sick because he hit or because he played it like a donkey?:unsure (Sorry, I've played extremely little cash)

donkey of course he had little to aim at, but he didnt no how much a dog he was. it was a bad draw for him
Aye, just thinking as it turned out he wasn't in such a bad situation. Since reading this thread I've been watching a few high stakes cash tables on Paradise, there seems to be quite a bit of checking and calling, apart from yourself and a couple of others. Do you think that's because of being scared of the stakes or have I just seen a lot of trapping/drawing? Great thread and well done btw:ok

My wife doesn't play poker or even understand it, but the night i won the 88k pot i ran up the stairs and said "i just won an 88k pot" her reply was do you want chips or tatties.:crybut it works well for us
I've jsut told the ,issus I've won a grand tongith and all shel;'s bothered about is nearly beeing bak donw to hre pre birht weight. Women. :eyes

I've jsut told the ' date=issus I've won a grand tongith and all shel;'s bothered about is nearly beeing bak donw to hre pre birht weight. Women. :eyes
From earlier:
No poker tonight - works xmas do instead. :beer:beer:beer But no 'aliando' style posting from me later!! :lol:lol
Hmmmmmmmm. ;)

Aye' date=' just thinking as it turned out he wasn't in [i']such a bad situation. Since reading this thread I've been watching a few high stakes cash tables on Paradise, there seems to be quite a bit of checking and calling, apart from yourself and a couple of others. Do you think that's because of being scared of the stakes or have I just seen a lot of trapping/drawing? Great thread and well done btw:ok
I think it can be both, at the stakes you must sometimes tread carefully. Depends the table/players. i played two 25/50 games last night and they were pretty crazy ( although i must take some responsability for loosening them up as i had 1 or 2 too many) but if you have 5 tight players the action is limited.

Re: The Mole An example of betting the right amount, how much would you bet? ***** Hand 853736308 ***** 25.00/50.00 Texas Hold'em (No Limit ) - 05 December 2007 01:20:10 Table TH 232 (Real /Cash Game ) Seat 1: Mr.chill. (8838.00) Seat 2: the_mole (9164.50) Seat 3: MANOUEL (3419.00) Seat 4: Celakovika (4950.00) Seat 5: smörrebröd (5250.00) Celakovika post SB 25.00 smörrebröd post BB 50.00 ** Deal ** Mr.chill. [N/A, N/A] the_mole [As, 3s] MANOUEL [N/A, N/A] Celakovika [N/A, N/A] smörrebröd [N/A, N/A] *** Bet Round 1 *** Mr.chill. Fold the_mole Call 50.00 MANOUEL Call 50.00 Celakovika Call 50.00 smörrebröd Check *** Flop(Board): *** : [Jh, 2d, 5s] *** Bet Round 2 *** Celakovika Check smörrebröd Check the_mole Check MANOUEL Check *** Turn(Board): *** : [Jh, 2d, 5s, 4s] *** Bet Round 3 *** Celakovika Check smörrebröd Check the_mole Bet 150.00 MANOUEL Call 150.00 Celakovika Fold smörrebröd Fold *** River(Board): *** : [Jh, 2d, 5s, 4s, 2s] *** Bet Round 4 *** the_mole Bet 300.00 MANOUEL Raise to 600.00

Re: The Mole his min raise looks like a value bet as its likely to scare you off so I would hope he has a boat but a lesser flush at least so i would bet the pot and hope for a re raise or alternatilely a big over sized bet to look like a steal and then pray he dont fold but prob my first choice

Re: The Mole Think I might stick a massive overbet and pray that he had a big hand hoping he would see it as a steal and reraise or pay me off if he's a bit of a mouse. The other guy got in the pot for nothing and could have a 2 a full house, a flush, quad 2's or a straight. I dare say theres a mathematical answer to why there appears to be so many straight flushes short handed. Didnt see the hand the other day just the outcome in the chat box and it said you showed a straight flush and so did the other guy but he won the pot. I take it yours was on the board and you tried to represent the upper side of it, unfortunatley he actually had it.

Think I might stick a massive overbet and pray that he had a big hand hoping he would see it as a steal and reraise or pay me off if he's a bit of a mouse. The other guy got in the pot for nothing and could have a 2 a full house, a flush, quad 2's or a straight. I dare say theres a mathematical answer to why there appears to be so many straight flushes short handed. Didnt see the hand the other day just the outcome in the chat box and it said you showed a straight flush and so did the other guy but he won the pot. I take it yours was on the board and you tried to represent the upper side of it, unfortunatley he actually had it.
No i had the low end of it. 2345 on board i had the ace, he had the 6. I have lost 5 times with a straight flush...Amazing.