UK & Ireland Racing - Who are we?

Re: ATR - Who are we? Hi everyone! I have been lurking around the forums for the last few days so eager to get stuck in and see what everyone has to say that I didnt even notice this thread! To cut a long story short, I only went to my first meeting at Glorious Goodwood and since then I have been hooked and I have gone from having the odd gamble here and there to punting everyday whenever I get time to look at the cards! I am mainly a jumps fan and thats where my profits have stemmed from, although my flat form started to pick up at the end of last season. I border on hopeless on the all weather so I will be grateful for any tips and pointers that anyone cant point my way! :ok

• Replies 340
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: ATR - Who are we? Long time lurker,previously punted back in the 90s in a pretty serious way,had a few telephone accounts closed and restricted,had a lot of fun trying to get money on in various shops in NW london,got married packed it all up and only now getting back in to horse racing.Have kept a few greyhounds,landed a few touches,burnt a few times.....like flat racing probably do better in the long run on the flat but going to stick to novice chases mostly for now............

Re: ATR - Who are we?

Long time lurker' date='previously punted back in the 90s in a pretty serious way,had a few telephone accounts closed and restricted,had a lot of fun trying to get money on in various shops in NW london,got married packed it all up and only now getting back in to horse racing.Have kept a few greyhounds,landed a few touches,burnt a few times.....like flat racing probably do better in the long run on the flat but going to stick to novice chases mostly for now............[/quote'] Welcome aboard :ok

• 1 month later...

Re: UK & Ireland Racing - Who are we? Well, looks like its maybe my turn to give you all a bit of background on myself.... My names Gav, 21 years old.... I've been betting on football for around 5 years but over the past 18 months or so I'm getting progressively further and further into horse racing. Oh, I should also mention I had a bit of a thing for the roulette wheel but have well and truly put that in the past - refuse to put £1 ino the bloody machines these days! Im located in Edinburgh and can often be found at Musselburgh (only 10min drive) although the occasional trip to Hàmilton and Ayr has been known. I'd quite like to get down to some of the bigger race meetings down south in future though. I support my local team, the mighty Hibs and am looking forward to winning the Scottish Cup this Saturday for the first time in 110 years. Well, I can only dream..... No doubt we will get humped! It was just recently that I signed up to Punters Lounge and feel like I've already learned a lot and continue to learn more. Ideally I would like to come up with some form of strategy that will help me along the way. At the moment, I place bets for a variety of reasons (probably too many!) based on market support, form, if I like a particular tipsters write up... The list goes on. Recently I've been taking a bit more care and time over my selections and hopefully we will see some form of strategy soon. Coming to a systems thread near you :ok:lol This is the first betting forum I've been involved in and m already reaping the rewards. I'm a bit strapped for time just now so I need to draw the curtain at that. Looking forward to posting with u all going forward. Best of luck all. Gav.

Re: UK & Ireland Racing - Who are we? Enjoy your stay Gavlar, a small tip in life from me.....Stay well clear of wheels with numbers on them lol It would be great to get a wee meet up sometime in the future at Hamilton or Ayr or Musselburgh, but having said that i have left behind many a new shirt at Hamilton, the track haunts me.

Re: UK & Ireland Racing - Who are we?

Well, looks like its maybe my turn to give you all a bit of background on myself.... My names Gav, 21 years old.... I've been betting on football for around 5 years but over the past 18 months or so I'm getting progressively further and further into horse racing. Oh, I should also mention I had a bit of a thing for the roulette wheel but have well and truly put that in the past - refuse to put £1 ino the bloody machines these days! Im located in Edinburgh and can often be found at Musselburgh (only 10min drive) although the occasional trip to Hàmilton and Ayr has been known. I'd quite like to get down to some of the bigger race meetings down south in future though. I support my local team, the mighty Hibs and am looking forward to winning the Scottish Cup this Saturday for the first time in 110 years. Well, I can only dream..... No doubt we will get humped! It was just recently that I signed up to Punters Lounge and feel like I've already learned a lot and continue to learn more. Ideally I would like to come up with some form of strategy that will help me along the way. At the moment, I place bets for a variety of reasons (probably too many!) based on market support, form, if I like a particular tipsters write up... The list goes on. Recently I've been taking a bit more care and time over my selections and hopefully we will see some form of strategy soon. Coming to a systems thread near you :ok:lol This is the first betting forum I've been involved in and m already reaping the rewards. I'm a bit strapped for time just now so I need to draw the curtain at that. Looking forward to posting with u all going forward. Best of luck all. Gav.
Welcome mate ! Nice to see another Northerner here, although mixed feelings after the Scottish Cup Semi. Yes, I'm an Aberdeen man ! :@ Stick around and don't be afraid to ask any questions. :ok

Enjoy your stay Gavlar, a small tip in life from me.....Stay well clear of wheels with numbers on them lol It would be great to get a wee meet up sometime in the future at Hamilton or Ayr or Musselburgh, but having said that i have left behind many a new shirt at Hamilton, the track haunts me.
Believe me mate, I have well and truly learnt my lesson about wheels with numbers on them... Haha! Definitely though, maybe some point in the future we can sort something out. Had a little chuckle to myself when I read that comment though lad! Haha!

Welcome mate ! Nice to see another Northerner here, although mixed feelings after the Scottish Cup Semi. Yes, I'm an Aberdeen man ! :@ Stick around and don't be afraid to ask any questions. :ok
Thanks for the welcome mate. Don't worry about the football side of things, I've not exactly had much to shout about this season anyway. All that could change though! I'm going to stop talking about it now tho before I jinx it. Haha! No doubt have a few conversations in future in some of the other threads. :ok All the best.

Re: UK & Ireland Racing - Who are we? Hello all! I placed my first horse racing bet a couple months ago and have enjoyed it ever since. I didn't have the time then to get into it properly as I have only just finished my last exam of my degree. With a little bit of free time now, I hope to learn as much as possible as I feel my knowledge is no way near from what I have been reading on these part of the forum. Been playing poker online and betting football for the last couple of years now. I find that I get more enjoyment when betting on the horses. I like both the flat and jumps, but my biggest wins have come from jumps. I'm still a newbie at all these stuff and normally bet on horses which tickles my fancy. I started to take more care in picking my horses and tend to read up before placing a bet. I don't bet huge amounts, it's just something I do for enjoyment. I've only recently joined the forums and I hope that I can learn from you guys. Thanks for reading.

Re: UK & Ireland Racing - Who are we? Hey all! I placed a bet on my first horse about 2 months ago and I have enjoyed it ever since. I haven't had time to get into it properly as I have only just finished my last exam of my degree. With a little bit more time now, I feel like there is a lot to learn when it comes to horse racing and I hope to learn as much as possible. I usually play poker online and bet on the football but I seem to get more enjoyment out of horse racing. I bet on horses that tickles my fancy but I don't bet huge amounts. I'm still learning! Anyway, I have been lurking round the forums and have been impressed with some of the tips. Most noticeable one was Tiddliwinks @ 33/1 that cpo tipped. So many thanks to him and I hope to contribute when I gain a bit of knowledge. chu

• 3 weeks later...

Re: UK & Ireland Racing - Who are we? Hiya everyone i did post before saying hello but was in the wrong thread, i didnt know :( anyway i have recently started putting horse racing bets on and im actually enjoying it :) just need to get to know some horses jockeys and meeting as i am a complete newbie haha :) anyway hopefully i get to know what im doing soon :) im only 18 so ive not been going to the bookies along time anyway.. Also i have been looking at Billyhill's system thing and its really good haha dunno how you predict who's gunna win all the time but thanks as ive been following for about a week :)

• 3 months later...

Re: UK & Ireland Racing - Who are we? Hi all im a newbie here but not a newbie punter. I started with the football then being off work for a long time i started to watch the horse races. With that came punting. I stick with mainly handicap races all grades as long as i can find what looks value. I rarely back with the bookies and most of my bets are win/place. 1pt to 5pt. I also do a fair bit of laying if something looks short. I am mainly a form reader. Look forward to being involved here. Good luck all.

• 1 month later...

Re: UK & Ireland Racing - Who are we? Hi Guys, Use to be registered awhile ago but forgot my details so back on now under new username. I'm 30 year old bloke now and always use to bet on the football accumlator's but soon decided after only winning a few over the years it was more the bookie's gain and not mine. Soon got in to the Horse racing after going to the bookie's with a couple of mates that were already in to it. I was hooked when they told me to go with them to The Cheltenham Festival on the Tuesday when I saw Hardy Eustace beat Harchibald by a neck. Since then I have always gone every year on Gold Cup Day but in recent years I have added the Champion Hurdle day and watching the other day's at home. Big fan of the jumps and don't have much time for the flat, just find it boring plus in the jumps you get so many horses returning every year so I get a bit of a love affair. My favourite horse of all time is Denman and 100% sure for all it's problems would have won the Gold Cup more than once. Love doing ante post bets to try and find the value and had some decent returns last year with Cinders and Ashes 18/1, Bobs Worth 10/1, Sprinter Sacre 4/1. My ante post bet thus is The New One 18/1 for Neptune Novices - really impressed with the horse in bumpers and open it's campaign over the obstacles with a big margin win and then really liked how he powered up the hill at Cheltenham the other day. Anyway rambling on now so will sign off. Cheers, James

• 3 weeks later...

Re: UK & Ireland Racing - Who are we? Evenin' all :notworthy I have been lurkin about this forum for a little while now and feel its about time i said "hello". Im a 40yr Londonder who has followed horse racing more closely over the last 18months or so. Having said that it was most definitely watching Desert Orchid race that sparked my initial interest in this fine sport, which was indeed many more moons ago. In terms of betting i enjoy looking at horse stats and prefer trying to pick out horses whom have good prior form yet have been seemingly overpriced to either win or place - so i tend to steer well clear of backing favorites. Each to their own though in all fairness i hasten to add. Whilst here may i qucikly take the opportunity to say "cheers" to the people who run these boards and also to those who regularly take the time to post their views and opinions for all to see. :cheers Hopefully see you about the place sometime, in the meantime, be lucky :hope. SnC

Evenin' all :notworthy I have been lurkin about this forum for a little while now and feel its about time i said "hello". Im a 40yr Londonder who has followed horse racing more closely over the last 18months or so. Having said that it was most definitely watching Desert Orchid race that sparked my initial interest in this fine sport, which was indeed many more moons ago. In terms of betting i enjoy looking at horse stats and prefer trying to pick out horses whom have good prior form yet have been seemingly overpriced to either win or place - so i tend to steer well clear of backing favorites. Each to their own though in all fairness i hasten to add. Whilst here may i qucikly take the opportunity to say "cheers" to the people who run these boards and also to those who regularly take the time to post their views and opinions for all to see. :cheers Hopefully see you about the place sometime, in the meantime, be lucky :hope. SnC
:welcome to PL mate. Get stuck in.

• 2 weeks later...

Didn't realise this was here as I tend to use the app. I'm Neil, I'm 30 and originally from a village near Plymouth: moved to Sheffield a few years ago with my partner and got a job working for Hills in the raceroom at Milton House and ended up in Gibraltar. I'm back in the UK due to rather unfortunate set of coincidences in my personal circumstances but will be going back abroad as soon as possible: not that I don't like the UK but at the moment my career looks to be abroad (unless George Osborne carries out his threat on tax and we all come back). Been a long time lurker but have only really been posting since May. I've been a racing fan for a long time- used to go to point-to-points around Devon and love that environment and watched Channel 4 as a kid in the holidays and got more interested at university in Colchester: the proximity of Newmarket, Yarmouth and Fakenham helped as did the easy access to the greyhounds at Romford and Walthamstow (I worked for a supermarket chain and roved all over Essex and east London as well as having a good friend in South Woodford making nights at the Stow viable if I was working in Stratford). The boyfriend of one of my housemates was a TV installer and as a result we had everything going on Sky so I used to come home and switch on ATR in its first incarnation and the basically rubbish Racing Channel. Friends used to tell me I liked an old man's sport but many of them have been converted. I wasn't a very good gambler at the time but remember doing a lot of it on Blue Square as the bookies was too far away. My first bet was a fiver from my granddad on the 1995 National- I had 50p each way on Royal Athlete and Over The Deel with the rest on some randoms. I thought all my birthdays had come at once when he got back from the bookies, especially as my dad had backed Romany King and Master Oats. Working for a major bookmaker has given me some real insight into betting and my knowledge of sport in general as well as exposure to serious punters has improved my betting no end. I'm much more disciplined now. My former father-in-law has three horses in training and I'm keen on getting into a greyhound syndicate, more for the craic than anything else, as soon as finances allow. Being in Yorkshire and surrounded by both horse and dog tracks has really exposed me to a part of the industry I knew nothing of before. Starting at the back end of last year, I wrote a greyhound preview for general interest/consumption at work to coincide with the launch of greyhound TV and although I've not done one for a few weeks I'm planning on posting them regularly on here, more for fun than anything else although I'm showing a small (+25.25pts) profit over the year at £10 a point which is alright. Aside from racing, I'm not averse to an occasional bet on the NFL spreads, even though its not a sport I really like, because there is often value. I do a bit of golf from time to time. I think value is entirely a matter of personal opinion and once I get over my psychological aversion to laying my betting will improve. That's my main goal for 2013, the others are to focus a lot more on ante post stuff and to enhance my knowledge of the flat- I win more in cash terms on the flat but looking at my spreadsheet that appears to be more luck than judgement especially as my best priced winners are National Hunt.

Re: UK & Ireland Racing - Who are we? Hi Guys, My names Sam, nearly 21 from Mansfield, Nottinghamshire. Since I was a kid I have been picking out my favourite name for the Grand National and for the last 7 years or so has a couple of quid on the football at a weekend. I have laways like horse racing, buit only started following around two years ago, as my girlfriends dad is a big fan. Since the I have been to Southwell on a number of occasions, Leicester, Market Rasen, Yarmouth and York for the Ebor meeting, where this year I got to see the mighty Frankel in the flesh, fantastic! I am still finding my way in the betting world and have yet to really decided on a specific structure or system, but I do have a number of ways of making selections and whilst I am young and have no responsibilities as such, I figure I have the time to find my way and what works best. The area I have had the best returns is £1 Lucky 15's, last year I managed to get 8 out of 8 over two days which return just short of a £1000. Mainly I rellay enjoy the sport and could sit at home and watch it allday, although at the moment I have a preference for the flat over the jumps, which most of my friends cannot understand! I have read through a number of threads on here and can already see that I amongst some horse racing heavyweights, and I look forward to gaining as much knowledge as possible. I have had a few nice welcomes already to this forum and will be a daily visitor from now on in! Cheers, Binchy.

Re: UK & Ireland Racing - Who are we? :welcomeBinchy. I, too, liked the flat more than jumps but I think my view is starting to change. As a spectacle, jump racing is certainly better to watch, although betting wise, flat still has the edge in my book! I hope you're not still just at the stage where you are picking out your favourite names in racing, but if you are, there are plenty of tips around here that might help you.

:welcomeBinchy. I' date=' too, liked the flat more than jumps but I think my view is starting to change. As a spectacle, jump racing is certainly better to watch, although betting wise, flat still has the edge in my book! I hope you're not still just at the stage where you are picking out your favourite names in racing, but if you are, there are plenty of tips around here that might help you.[/quote'] Thanks Jay, This is the first season I have followed the Jumps properly so I can imagine I will develop a taste for it, especially with the performance of Harry Topper yesterday who I had in my tracker. Almost made and went a cuppa when they had jumped the first in the final straight and it ends up coming from nowhere to win! Haha, no I have moved on from the picking my favourite names, although it is a constant source of embarrassment if I go to the races with my missus, as she almost always ends up with more money than me by using this strategy and a £2 stake!