UK & Ireland Racing - Who are we?

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 340
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: ATR - Who are we? Hi, I'm 25 and started gambling 6 months ago. I used to work as a data clerk at HM revenue and started gambling because most of my mates were doing it and making a killing. I started taking it more serious when my wife had a kid and we definitely needed more money to survive! Started checking out different horse betting systems and developing my own ones, testing them and sharing them with my betting mates. Managed to make 42% ROI :clap in September. Not a big fan of laying though but would do E/W any day! Still learning and improving every month which is why I'm on this forum! Biggest lesson of the year is not to follow everyone else and make your own decision!

Re: ATR - Who are we? Evening all, I'm Sam, 19, and probably one of the younger racing punters around here. Joined a while back but I've only just properly got involved. :sad Been a fan of horse racing since I was a young kid, grandparents and my dad were both punters and I practically fell into it, going racing from a young age. Prefer the flat season but I'm occasionally found at Wetherby but my usual courses are Beverley and Doncaster (especially during the St Leger and Racing Post Trophy). Had a very small share in a horse earlier in the year that turned out to be as useful as me running against Usain Bolt. I'm no expert, far far far from it to be honest, but I'm always trying to learn more about racing and picking up a couple winners during the winter season. Got Twitter if anyone uses it, it's the same as my name on here. Hopefully I'll stick around this time and become an active member and hopefully making a few friends along the way. :ok

Re: ATR - Who are we? Hi all, Im Shane and not long gone 27. First go into horses when in college over 7 years ago when we used to spend the afternoon in the bookies instead of class. I remember one of my first big winners was backing Hardy Eustace at 33/1 for CH when making all. Looking back it was only for micro stakes but it certainly paid for a few :beer I love NH racing and mostly a recreational backer but in the last 6 months I have got alot more into it along with backing golf on the exchanges thankfully to good success.Have been trying to be alot more analytical about it. I work nights so most of my bets are placed in the morning and then I have to check the result when I wake up! Was recommended here and after lurking for the last month or so I decided I better join in!

Re: ATR - Who are we? Hi Guys thought I should introduce myself along with the others. Have been following the forum for a while so i plucked up the courage to sign up yesterday. I initially thought there was no room for a novice like myself but it seems to be a great place to share thoughts and information. A lover of National Hunt and the horses in general so i don't bet big, enough to pay for a few jars if they come in. This means i can enjoy the other horses without feeling bad when i'm on the loosing run. I do love a big touch when it's on the cards and this place seems to talk a lot of sense. Cheers

Re: ATR - Who are we? Hi to everyone! As you can see I've been following PL quite a time now. But that was only for football, and i didn't even know about that section. How then I get here? Weekend before Christmas I was reading, as always, english websites for info about football and everywhere there was an info about Big Buck's. I went into it, later checked the race and saw his 14th victory in a row. And after that till today in every minute of my spare time I learning about horse racing. I hope that's only beginning! I didn't realize that something can be nearly as much interesting as football!! During that week and so I took couple bets, mostly from yours tips. Few won, few lost. But that was kind of stupid gambling rather than reasonable betting. Happily for micro stakes. First "true bet" was Plenty Pocket at the start of today's Kempton. And I fought that a good motive to introduce myself to you, with a statement - I won't be stealing your tips anymore. OK, at least I try! ;))) Of course I can't contribute at all, only can say that most of my knowlegde which I gained during this short spell was from PL. Believe me - I checked a lot of sources but Punters Logde is most competent. OK. Short bio. 28 yo, from Poland. Following english football over a dozen years - from EPL to non-league. Manchester United supporter since '96 (one visit at Old Trafford so far),also like Gillingham, Blyth Spartans and after today starting to love Kauto Star! ;) All the best to you all! And I am back to reading you lads ;) Doing my best with english so thank you for your understanding and sorry.

Re: ATR - Who are we? Ok I will try to introduce myself. I'm Italian but have been living all around Europe in the last few years. I loved horses since I was a kid but got into racing just during my Uni period and quickly fell in love with this sport. Back then it was everything a dream. Studying the cards, watching the races and little by little trying to get involved in that fantastic world. It worked out quite well and I was able, within a few of years, to become an owner, a driver and a manager of a big stable (but that was trotting racing so another world). After I left Italy I had a little break and it's been almost impossible to stay close to the trotting world but for the main international events so I've been switching all my horse racing passion more and more to the reald deal: UK and IRE turf! Been following PL from a while and decided to step in just a few weeks ago. Will also try to give a little contribution but I have still a lot to learn from this magic world and of course the average quality of the forum here is just amazing. I hope you'll be forgiving me for some mistakes and I wish we can all enjoy a nice and profitable year. Ciao :D

• 2 weeks later...

Re: ATR - Who are we? Hello everyone, Lurker for 2 years now , and enjoy reading the posts. Im 37, a truck driver from Somerset who likes a recrational gamble and have learnt a lot on here. Father in law got me hooked, he used to race a couple of greyhounds at Hove. Been there four times now, and had a race named after my family - plus did the trophy presentation. Occasionally go to Wincanton, and always love it. Prefer jumps to flat, and have no luck on all weather. Cant afford to bet much, usually each way and the occasional double or reverse forecast. All the best, Al

Re: ATR - Who are we? well, where to begin with? i am stefan, live in germany, and am a big national hunt supporter! sadly, the sport here isnt too good ( ok, we have danedream, but hm..), but since i was a kid, my attentions were quickly turned to british/irísh racing. it seems far more competitive, and i follow some jocks for over a decade now( f.e. andrew thornton, who is, for me, still one of the best around, if he gets the good rides..) ok, that should be it for now, but if you have any questions, feel free to ask..gl stefan

Re: ATR - Who are we?

well' date=' where to begin with? i am stefan, live in germany, and am a big national hunt supporter! sadly, the sport here isnt too good ( ok, we have danedream, but hm..), but since i was a kid, my attentions were quickly turned to british/irísh racing. it seems far more competitive, and i follow some jocks for over a decade now( f.e. andrew thornton, who is, for me, still one of the best around, if he gets the good rides..) ok, that should be it for now, but if you have any questions, feel free to ask..gl stefan[/quote'] :gimme Stefan, pleasure to have you here. We have daily racing threads here, and make sure you get involved in the Best Bet Of The Day competition, just have a quick read of the rules and get stuck in, im Adrian. :ok

Re: ATR - Who are we? As you can see I joined here in 2004 but have only really been back regularly in recent months. I’m a hopeless analyst when it comes to assessing form and tend to rely on the wisdom of others, paid tipsters and the like. Been following racing since the mid 80s, actually since Dancing Brave’s year of glory, 1986. What I cherish about this site is that you feel part of an active community of people who all share the same interest and that comes from someone like me who rarely posts. I took it upon myself recently just to click ‘thanks’ every time I benefited financially from someone else’s hard work here, it’s the least I can do. I have very few friends who follow racing apart from the yearly Grand National flutter, so being here makes up for that. I just wish I could add some input. Been tinkering with various systems for years but none have ever come to anything. Nowadays much prefer the daily action. A big thanks, and in no particular order here to Mileni, Trotter, Slapdash, Tedthewolf, Monterosso, Bowles10, JTW1 and Machine for the racing advices. I’ve also spent time lurky in other sports where the tipping of Kevshat and Fishy25 in the main have been amazing over the two World Darts events. Grex too for his overs and homes football bets systems. Have I missed anybody out? If so, tell me about them, so I can follow them too. Thanks a million fellas. A few racing stories. I won a competition in 1987, helicopter trip to the Derby and back, had to get to Dulwich College early for the flight and will always remember having to queue behind that late great trainer Jimmy Fitzgerald who was on the coptor before me. On the way back it was the two Hills twins, one of whom was pretty worse for wear, can’t remember which one, and still can’t tell them apart. Standing on the seats in front of the Club enclosure at the Festival when Dessie just go the better of Yahoo in 89, I think. God, that was a wet day. A decade later, in 96, I found myself at Ascot on the day that Frankie got the 7 up. From the 3rd race on I was in the members and press area. Found myself standing next to Julian Wilson as he was cheering Dettori on in the last on Fujiyama Crest and then just about every name in racing seemed to be all around me so had to act like this was normal for me, a usual everyday occurrence, with all the TV types, jockeys, trainers and journalists. All the best everybody:clap

Re: ATR - Who are we? Hi Folks After being abit of a lurker in this section of the forum for a while i'm going to try and get myself involved. I have been a member of the PL for quite a while and post fairly often in the UK football section and have recently started playing the Daily Racing comp too. I'd class myself as a beginner when it comes to horse racing but hoping that in posting i will learn more and actually have some decent reasoning behind my betting too! In the meantime if anyone has any advice that they would give to someone who is fairly new to it all or perhaps some sites, books or even old threads on here, that are worth looking at/reading i'd be grateful to hear from you guys Thanks :ok

• 1 month later...

Re: ATR - Who are we? Hello, i recently signed up to the forum. I find it great that you are supporting each other and share your information, so that we all can learn from each other. I want to take part in this. I am looking forward to share my point of view, learn and discuss with other racing fans. Please appologize for my bad english, it is not my mother language and I am Still learning.