** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

UK & Ireland Racing - Who are we?

Re: ATR - Who are we? You can have him mate, drive him there myself. He is such an athlete its untrue, absolutely murders people for pace but he is technically flawed in that he can't cross the ball, doesn't have the best touch either. He is a loony on the pitch also, rash challenges and his sending off record for his country is unreal. Still, he scored the winner at Elland Road in the match that all but sent them down, so he's not all bad!

• Replies 340
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: ATR - Who are we? May as well give a little introduction, some of these make good reading. I'm 31 years young, gambling is a hobby as I lack the discipline and self-control to do it professionally, as well as the bankroll :) I've worked in a bookies since I was about 14, a local independent shop my father managed, still do the odd day for them hear and there. I love horse racing, but also a big football fan and adore betting in golf majors, only majors otherwise I think I'd never find time for anything else. Always back Garcia, I'm attracted by the flair and he will win one sooner or later, in fact hopefully this Sunday! Plus a few in form outsiders, some of which go close (Todd Hamilton!). The beauty of golf major betting is that you get a sweat for 4 days or if not, you can have another go on the Saturday. I have a bet most days, online mostly and mainly with ladbrokes unfortunately, their offices are local, it makes withdrawing easier. Favourite horse racing memories? 28th September 1996, telling my father and the other fella working that I was doing a Frankie Dettori placepot that day. They laughed at me and well . . . . Got a ton off the placepot and a bit more off doubles and trebles, then I 'went off' him on Fujiyama Crest in the last, in from 10s to 2s even then I was looking for value, lol! 1997 National, I'd been telling everyone and their dog for months that Lord Gyllene was going to lead from start to finish, it did. Best bet? United to win the treble at odds of 125/1 in January 1999. Damn that was a fine few months. Never seen football or experienced emotion like it. Favourites: Football: Manchester United Golf: Sergio Garcia, Camillo Vilegas Horses: Lord Gyllene, Shantou, Ivory's Grab Hire, Benny The Dip, Harchibald! Jockeys: Neil Callan, George Baker, Paul Hanegan, AP McCoy, Slippers Madden, KJ Manning Best horse seen? Flat: Motivator Jumps: Istabraq

• 3 weeks later...

Re: ATR - Who are we? Been here a few months now but never really introduced myself, so here goes. My names Ben, and although my age on my profile says 18, i'm infact only 17. Reason being, made the account to look for tips and it being a gambling forum i put 18, apologies. Duno if there's some sort of age limit for competitions etc, but i'll happily take the pride if i ever won and not the prize money. Only been into horse racing a few months and learnt everything i know, which is very little, off this site. Big Derby County fan, and travel the country as much as i can following them. Bet on football and horse racing mainly. Have learnt so much off many posters on this site and hope to learn a whole lot more, cheers!

Re: ATR - Who are we? Just out of interest fella, do you bet online or in your local shop? I'm in no place to judge, my uncle had me in the shops when I was 16 and although illegal if your going to gamble, it will happen whether people approve or not. Just try not to fall into the same trap as I did at that age, gambling on almost every race and throwing good money after bad on horses. You'd be well advised to try and gain as much knowledge as possible, even keep a note of your selections and how they did, so you can see trends of what your reading well and what your not.

Re: ATR - Who are we? I bet in my local shop, i used to do as you say, bet on any old race, play those blackjack, roulette machines and throw my money away. Soon realised that may give you the occasional moment of joy, but in the long run will never work. Stick soley to horse racing and football betting now which i suppose gives your more chance of making a profit. Only been taking the horse racing more seriously for a couple of months and will look to spend more time on my football selections this season.

Re: ATR - Who are we? Mornin', After finally deciding to join here what better way to start than introducing myself. I am a 20 year old student from Manchester and I'm an avid Manchester United fan, that's right a United fan from Manchester. ;) Now on to what I'm here for, the horse racing; after being a big online poker player and betting on the football week in week out it was inevitable I would end up betting on the horses. It all started out when I used to bet on the horses on Saturday evenings in loss chasing sessions if the football bets earlier in the afternoon didn't go to plan, something which I don't recommend. I have been taking horse racing seriously now for 4-5 months mainly paper-trailing my selections and after relatively good success I have decided to see if I can make a bit of money from it. I'm afraid I have no horse racing stories to share with you all and I hope to get to a few race meetings this year as I have yet to be to any. I was a bit unsure about joining this site at first as it seems a pretty tight nit community but after seeing the way newcomers are treated, you all seem very helpful and welcoming so I hope to enjoy a long winning stay here. That is all there is to know about me so to finish I would like to thank people for the things I have learnt off this site and especially the people in the system section for giving me something to read during boring nights. Pete.

Re: ATR - Who are we? Hi, I am a 36 y/o guy from Nottingham who enjoys a flutter, and in the past have been a sporting index fan with mixed results on my general football and cricket bets ! In the last 2 years I have got into horse racing, purely from the love of attending race meetings and winning a few quid. I decided to take the wife to Market Rasen last year and we managed to clean up with 5 wins from 6 races, and a take home of well over £500, including a 40/1 winner after chasing a bookie round for 6 mings ear wigging to his info !!! Well I have tried a few systems with mixed fortune again, so have developed my own way of doing things and have created a blog to record my results. So far so good, with almost 100pts profit in a couple of weeks. Please feel free to post, comment, follow etc and I hope to make some new friends along the way with links to your blogs etc. Good luck all !! Alex

Re: ATR - Who are we? Thought i'd better get round to introducing myself now i've got a bit of time! My names Andy 28yo and from up North in Bolton, pretty much like any sports but in the main its gotta be Racing, Footie and Golf. As far as the Football goes i'm a Bolton Wanderers fan even though I've now give my season ticket up a couple of years ago due to mainly a time aspect but still like to get on as many away days as i can. I try to play golf pretty regular now but never seem to get much better but i enjoy being out in the peace & quiet. As for the Racing been betting on horses prob 8 years(ish) since going out watching Cheltnham with the lads from work and winning about £50 on a Lucky-15 and thinking this is easy aswell as really enjoying the show. Since then its all been throwing money at Multiple bets listening to the older blokes at work and trying to pick horses out of a morning paper (remember for a while picking horses whose name started with MU:$). Started working nights a few years ago and thats when I discovered this site and started reading all the great info you guys bring to the table and feel I understand more now than i ever thought i would even though theres still more i'm learning all the time, also I now get more time to sit and go through races and look at every horse not just the first couple in the betting. Also I feel I'm getting more confident in my posts and selections. Racecourse experience:$ very limited i'm afraid only been to Haydock a couple of times but am determined to get to more futher afield, dis appointed last year me and the missus went on a weekend to Dublin and were all set to go to the Curragh but it lashed it down and was postponed. Best experience betting was 2003 with a £1 twirler on boxing day with Edredon Bleu won the King George at 25/1 put that with an 8/1 and a 5/2(Ithink) and won around £1300 if my memory serves me right :nana These days i like trying to find E/W horses at decent prices on the flat and just back singles and somti,es doubles. Not so much into NH but do enjoy the big festivals. I'll stop waffling now theres me thinking i couldn't find out to write. Thanks for everyones support here long may it continue.:ok

Re: ATR - Who are we? Hi Guys time to introduce myself Some would call me a silver spoon boy. i turned 40 also this year and i got into racing when i was 19 when i went on a visit to Jenny Pitmans yard as a part of some course work i was doing at a College. I got further into racing when i had a very small percentage in a horse called Timeless Times trained by Willie O'Gorman and we had some real good times with him as he won 16 times as a 2 year old. I now run a forum called Racing Reviews conducting interviews with Jockey's, Trainers and racing presenters, it is good to get some insight into what make them tick and their views on their achievements and future. I base myself around my very own trends hence my threads on the systems page and only back these when i play real money.

• 2 months later...

Re: ATR - Who are we? G'day folks. I'm James, just turned twenty-thirteen, from a village called Brancepeth which is in County Durham. I live quite close to Howard Johnson's place and am mates with a few of the lads there. I'm a property developer and buy to sell never let. I started this with a mate after we were made redundant from our previous jobs and we used our redundancy money towards our first job, made a very tidy profit after spending 6 weeks doing it up, and give or take the odd small loss we've had a nice time from the past 5 years. I've been interested in racing since moving here and meeting the lads from HJ's. This was just before their Direct Route came within a hair's breadth of winning the Queen Mother at Cheltenham behind Edredon Bleu. The excitement of that got me well and truly hooked. My highlight from a gambling sense so far was a decent sized wedge on Star De Mohaison when it won at Cheltenham in 2006. I took the 14/1 in a few shops that day, and that win gave me a nice little bank to take it a little more seriously. I don't bet every day and will only bet where I think there is significant value on offer for my fancy. It's very much just a hobby for me, but as there's money involved I give it due attention before risking my hard earned. I look forward to reading the views of the posters here - they seem a very knowledgable and friendly bunch :cheers

Re: ATR - Who are we? Alright James. I played Brancepeth Castle golf course not too long ago when on a lads golf trip to Durham - nice wee course, made more money on the snooker table after than on the golf course though I hasten to add! :ok I really must find half an hour to add my name to this stickie, keep forgetting :$

Re: ATR - Who are we? Well for those with a long memory or who were into racing from a young age I am named after a horse who won at Cartmel. First time I took my mates racing and as schoolboys we all won a few quid to keep us in cider and underage lager! I prefer National Hunt racing and have been to every course in the country. Am a backer rather than a layer and I make a tissue up each day of the races I am interested in. If the prices are bigger then I will back them and if they are smaller then I will lay them. It does mean that I will sometimes have a few bets each race. Im involved in a few horses myself and havent experienced much that can take away from the joy when the horse crosses the line irrespective of how much or how little youve won.

• 1 month later...

Re: ATR - Who are we? Thought I'd introduce myself and say a few words as I'm hoping to get regularly involved in the ATR threads. I'm 24-years-old, based up in Edinburgh. My local course is Musselburgh although I prefer Kelso and Perth. More of a NH than a flat man but play both regularly, in fact the stats book of all my bets that I compile shows I make more out of flat than jumps, even though I feel NH is my stronger subject! I do have a system, like all racing punters, but this isn't the time or the place to waste hundreds of words on it! I started betting on horses three years ago at university and I'm still learning every day. My first bet was on a horse called Bushman...it lost, although I caught it on a winning day a few weeks later. I also punt on football (you'll see me regularly on French and Scottish boards) and tennis. As for racecourses, I've been to Kempton, Windsor, Ayr, Perth, Mussy, Hamilton and Kelso. Looking forward to taking in a few more this year. My day job...well, I work as a production journalist, although I devote a lot of time to betting, purely as a hobby. My stakes are fairly low, the rush for me is piecing together a jigsaw puzzle and getting it right. Winnings should be spent on luxuries like meals out, nights out, sporting events, holidays and the missus! Fingers crossed for a successful 2010 to all :ok

Re: ATR - Who are we?

Welcome Atko' date=' you seem to be a decent bloke and have become a great poster on here as proved by the awards you won in the Oscars. Where did your name come from if you don't mind me asking?[/quote'] It comes from my second name, Atkinson. It got abbreviated to Atko at school as a nickname and stuck all through uni and also at work. Just one of those things!

Re: ATR - Who are we? About time I filled out a bit about myself - sorry for delay :$ I'm Charlie, 34 years old, live just outside Jedburgh in the Scottish Borders with my wife and baby daughter. First memories of horse racing are probably the annual family bet on grand national day growing up but am unsure what the defining moment was that got me more seriously interested in horse racing. It was most likely a random day out at Kelso Races with mates but as I say can't exactly pinpoint the exact occasion. Definitely gamble too much although not for large amounts of cash. What I mean is, if I spend time studying a race I feel as if I have to have an interest on it - I do realise this is not the clever way to gamble and the surefire way to rarely be in regular profit, however as I mentioned it is all to fairly small stakes. Have been a member of PL for a couple of years now I think and love being part of it, just a little disappointed in myself for taking so long to fill this bit in. Site is full of great guys and some of the most knowledgeable punters to learn from so although I have toyed with the idea of starting my own thread (more for personal reasons to monitor my selecting/gambling), I would definitely feel a little nervous about doing so. With regard courses i've visited, regularly at Kelso and have been to Musselburgh, Ayr, Newcastle, Sandown, Chester and Ascot (sure there are others but can't think). The Ascot trip was great as I had made a bit of cash on Glenn Roeder becoming Newcastle Manager so spent it on a two day trip to the Royal Meeting for me and the missus - good times!!! Managed to spend most of my winnings over the two days on dodgy horses and too much drink though - bad times!! I used to mostly enjoy NH racing but am leaning more towards flat now, especially sprints. One of the reasons for my interest in horse racing sprints is probably down to the fact I have a background in athletics and you guessed it... sprinting! I have ran since I was a nipper and biggest achievement was probably being selected a couple of times to run for Scotland at under 20 level when I was 18. As i'm majorly injury prone, i've struggled to compete regularly since then and therefore probably never reached my full potential. One interesting thing though is that I have competed on the Scottish and Borders Games circuits (Highland Games) which is all handicap running for prize money - ie mixed age/ability/sex running, I could be running from 2 metre start against a 50yr old woman running from an 25 metre start over 110m. Winners prizes vary from £100 to £2,000 through the summer events with £4,000 on offer for the New Year Sprint (former Powderhall Sprint for those Scots that remember it). The handicap and prize money are obvious similarities with horse racing however there is also gambling at each of these running events - bookmakers attend all events (weekly through summer), although prices available are usually garbage. We have had a couple of decent coups though and so nearly one major result. I am also in a dog syndicate with a few mates and have greyhounds running at Brough Park. Anyway, enough rambling, if anyone has any questions feel free to ask :ok

Re: ATR - Who are we? Thanks Charlie, good read mate! Who trains your Dogs at Brough? Many years ago I had a dog on Brough and another at Sunderland. Yvonne Bell trained mine at Brough and Malcolm Woods at Sunderland. Great days, only A6 class but used to go up to the kennels on Sundays and would often walk about six dogs at once down the quiet lanes. Also use to run one at the flapping tracks, Wheatley Hill, Easington, Hartlepool and Pelaw Grange, bet most of them have shut down now. Get that thread started mate:ok

Re: ATR - Who are we? Alright Graham, our dogs are with trainer Andrew Bell based at Alnwick. One of the most genuine blokes we have met and really does well by us. We bought our first pups at the start of 2008 when they were first born from another decent contact in Fife called Graham Hutt (former open class trainer) who is more involved in the breeding now. For various reasons the dogs have been delayed to race however our first one on track is called Dunion Tommy who is v. lightly raced and has already won at A4 and we expect him to be winning A2 by the Spring. Needs fast sound surface (he's all about early) which he hasn't had yet so have no idea how quickly he will progress once the decent weather comes in :hope Tommy will be coming to live with me and my family once retired - great animals and fantastic pets. We have two other (bitches) that are ready to race and another well bred bitch we have just purchased aged 5 months - we are currently looking about for a well bred dog too. All in that search for the elusive Derby Winner :lol (thousands have went before us in the same quest and thousands will follow i'm sure!!) Walking 6 decent sized greyhounds is no mean feat mate - walking one or two that are current racers is a workout in itself!! Hats off to you. Will start a thread in the next couple of weeks mate once I get a little bit of work out of the way :ok

• 2 months later...

Re: ATR - Who are we? Alright Guys, Name is Joe, 21 years old in London Bob is my fav name, and I thought Cosmetic was a word I made up & I liked it, until I realised it was a word & its to do with makeup lol !!!! Have followed horseracing since I was 5, I remember I watched the 94 Grand National at my Nans house with my Dad, I wanted The Fellow to win becuase Adam Kondrat was wearing red silks, my fav colour was red at the time, he was bang in contention when he fell 2nd time around at canal turn! Also I liked Flakey Dove the 94 champion hurdle winner as the jockey wore red!! Ive been to 2001 & 2007 Grand Nationals 2 Epsom Derbys 2 Cheltenham Festivals, last year & this year ( 1 day each) I remember in 04 the old whitbred at sandown 3m 5f race I kept telling my dad this Puntal is gonna go close today @ 25/1 so he placed the bet on phone £5 for him, £5 for me, PUNTAL WON BY SHORT HEAD!!!!!!!!!! we were laughing hahaha! Love a bet on Golf, Tennis, Darts, Cycling as well, will always remember BH backing Geoff Ogilvy in a side market 06 US Open, he didnt back him outright, the bloke won at 100/1, looking forward to having a drink with BH at Epsom next month!!! Oh well BH as you read this topic, how come you dont post your golf tips in topics any more I used to like reading him, I usually agreed with you!!!

Re: ATR - Who are we?

Oh well BH as you read this topic, how come you dont post your golf tips in topics any more I used to like reading him, I usually agreed with you!!!
No! you cant be Joe, Its gotta be Bob:lol Gave up the golf betting seriously when I couldnt get on at the prices anymore, i'm sure the power of the PL had something to do with it, every time I put something up the price halved, really strange, anyway the bookies got wise eventually that the side markets was where the value was and its harder nowadays, may come back to it in the summer especially now that Sky have the tour back on. Anyway, nice to get to know you and hopefully see you at the meet up:ok

Re: ATR - Who are we? Hi everyone, I'm Jeff, 32 from Leeds, My earliest memeries are backing West Tip in the national. Started following racing about 6 years ago. Spent plenty of time mug punting but now trying to develop my own selction process using a variety of sites and traditional methods. I've a young family so mainly limited myself to placepots and small singles and ew single. Not many big winners over the years m biggest win was £574 in the placepot at Towcester in January which was great considering I only had a £1 on. Came close to the Scoop6 on boxing day a few years ago, was let down when Straw Bear got up to beat Harchibald in the third leg. Also like a flutter on the football (poor run at the moment) and a couple of quid a week on the golf. I'm sure there is a good selection process out there for the golf but I'm yet to find one. Maybe Punterslounge is the place?? Hope for some intersting chat on here with fellow members:clap

Re: ATR - Who are we? :welcome Jeff. I'm just down the road at Bradford and regularly at York, Pontefract, Ripon, Doncaster races. There are likely to be a few of us going to York for the Dante meeting in May. Hope you enjoy this forum, any questions just ask. :ok

Re: ATR - Who are we? Hi all, thought I'd introduce myself since I visit this forum pretty much every day but seldom post. I'm Shaun, only 19 and absolutely love this game. My Grandad loved the NH racing and I always cheered on his horses with him, and that's how I got into it. I've got pictures of me sitting on Red Rum when I was younger when he was at the opening of a local betting shop :lol. My name is based on his best winning patent Bindaree - Intersky Falcon - Kickham - on Grand National day 2002. I tend to make more profit on the flat than I do NH, but I'd always prefer watching NH racing. I also like the occasional bet on the football and darts. Hope to start posting regularly, seems a great place here. :ok