** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

Welsh Open

owenclass

I'm going to stick a couple points on it. Ronnie doesn't care about this event. He even said so, and has alot of issues with his tip and Mertens looked good really. A 130 and 2 50+ breaks in that 4-3 over Gilbert. Gilbert a 142 and 3 50+ breaks and he still won. I do worry he'll bottle it if he goes ahead but hopefully Ronnie starts smashing them around. 6/1 is too big in this situation. It's not like it's the worlds in a best of 21 or something.

2pts Mertens to beat Ronnie 6/1 paddypower

1 hour ago, Fader said:

I'm going to stick a couple points on it. Ronnie doesn't care about this event. He even said so, and has alot of issues with his tip and Mertens looked good really. A 130 and 2 50+ breaks in that 4-3 over Gilbert. Gilbert a 142 and 3 50+ breaks and he still won. I do worry he'll bottle it if he goes ahead but hopefully Ronnie starts smashing them around. 6/1 is too big in this situation. It's not like it's the worlds in a best of 21 or something.

2pts Mertens to beat Ronnie 6/1 paddypower

And even if it was the Worlds, that's no guarantee of anything - just look at that Cahill result the other year. Ronnie is a nightmare to bet on, because you can't be sure that what comes out of his mouth is even remotely reliable. Mertens on the handicap looks the way to go to me - he only lost a deciding frame the one time they've played before.

3 minutes ago, Torque said:

And even if it was the Worlds, that's no guarantee of anything - just look at that Cahill result the other year. Ronnie is a nightmare to bet on, because you can't be sure that what comes out of his mouth is even remotely reliable. Mertens on the handicap looks the way to go to me - he only lost a deciding frame the one time they've played before.

no ofcourse but it's a "First to 4" which makes luck an even bigger factor is what I was saying, really. I honestly think laying Ronnie in every match would have made you money over the last few years even though he is as good as he is. Mertens on the handicap is a good choice.

meanwhile Murphy just hit a 142 and then a 147 back-to-back and leads 3-0. The Magician playing really well.

2 minutes ago, Fader said:

no ofcourse but it's a "First to 4" which makes luck an even bigger factor is what I was saying, really. I honestly think laying Ronnie in every match would have made you money over the last few years even though he is as good as he is. Mertens on the handicap is a good choice.

meanwhile Murphy just hit a 142 and then a 147 back-to-back and leads 3-0. The Magician playing really well.

Agree. Going against Ronnie would be a blanket strategy that I'm sure would pay.

4 minutes ago, Fader said:

I was going along with you btw - if Ronnie can't necessarily be relied upon over the longer distance then of course he can't be relied upon over the shortest distance there is.

1 hour ago, Fader said:

That was totally amazing!! And it was a 145 not a 142 followed by the maxi.

Mertens is all over the place at the moment but he was 3-0 down the first time they played. We need Ronnie's tip to fall off again and for him to concede the match like he almost did last night!

Edited by charliepie

4 minutes ago, charliepie said:

That was totally amazing!! And it was a 145 not a 142 followed by the maxi.

Mertens is all over the place at the moment but he was 3-0 down the first time they played. We need Ronnie's tip to fall off again and for him to concede the match like he almost did last night!

Ronnie cruising to 3-0. If this is the performance of someone who doesn't care whether they win or not, then I think I'll say I'm not bothered whether my bets win or lose.

4 minutes ago, Torque said:

Ronnie cruising to 3-0. If this is the performance of someone who doesn't care whether they win or not, then I think I'll say I'm not bothered whether my bets win or lose.

It's always said in jest isn't it, with him? but he did say on on the commentary on eurosport. Never the less, Mertens has had his chances and is playing like an 18yr old that's playing Ronnie O'Sullivan. 

2 minutes ago, Fader said:

It's always said in jest isn't it, with him? but he did say on on the commentary on eurosport. Never the less, Mertens has had his chances and is playing like an 18yr old that's playing Ronnie O'Sullivan. 

Exactly. Like I said you can't take him seriously. In many ways what he's done with the things he's said is genius. If he wins, all hail Ronnie and if he loses it's because he couldn't be bothered and he would have won if he was trying. Of course he's trying in the majority of matches he loses - regardless of what he says.

alot better from Milkins this evening. Think the extra rest probably helped. Some of these nights go long. Higgins looks like he's feeling it abit today. 4-3 with Lam and now struggling to try and level 2-2 with Pengfei. Players he shouldn't issue with. This match could still be playing at 12.30-1am and then he has Ronnie tomorrow afternoon. Plays into Ronnie's hands, this. 

Allen looks the man to beat still. I don't give Milkins more than about 15% chance to beat Allen. Murphy/Allen final perhaps?

* infact he's found a way to lose that frame. Not good at all. 3-1 Pengfei. Looks like Ronnie has the dream draw this week *

8 hours ago, charliepie said:

Yeah, John was tired today wasn't he. Does look like it might be Allen/Murphy final, maybe Tian beats Ronnie tomorrow?

maybe but i doubt it. Let's put it in to perspective. Higgins hit 8 50+ breaks in 8 frames to win two matches 4-0 on Day 1. Yesterday he won 4-3 and lost 3-1. Pengfei beat both Carter and Higgins but only scored a 72 high break against Carter in a 4-2 win and 2 50+ breaks in a 4-1 win over Higgins.

Ronnie isn't playing amazing but generally, he is winning most of these matches with 3 50+ breaks a match and so shows he is staying on the table when he gets in. He has won the last 3 head-to-heads and although the last one was 4-3 to Ronnie, the prior 2 matches were both white washes.

Only bet I will be going with today is Joe O'Connor to beat Junxu. Jak Jones ruined the 9/2 treble by losing to Junxu, despite being 2-0 up, he lost 4 in a row. I didn't watch the match but perhaps he went down to the pressure of being the last Welsh man in. Who knows? but Joe won the only head-to-head between the two, back in 2021 at the English Open and he won it 4-1.

Joe has got some good results in this event. He has been rather fortunate that nobody has turned up but 4-1. 4-2, 4-0 and 4-0 wins, he is playing with some confidence. I think he beats Junxu tonight.

Hoping for a Milkins Vs Murphy final now on the outrights but realistically, my main hope is Murphy.

4pts Joe O'Connor to beat Junxu evens bet365

Murphy through with no issues. 5-0 whitewash. Ronnie is playing so bad. Hopefully he goes out and Milkins gets through :D

One good thing about Milkins against Allen tonight. Allen may have some nerves because if he wins it, he wins £150k and after his bankruptcy issues. He's already said that it's basically the biggest match of his life right now. Ironically, if Milkins wins then he could also be the one to win the 150k.

1 minute ago, charliepie said:

I hope we don't have another 5-0 tonight, something a bit closer would be more exciting.

Imagine four 5-0s. 

I would have backed Tian if he was around 4/1 or even 3/1 but when I looked pre match it was 2/1 and I didn't fancy it at all. Can only imagine what 5-0 Tian was. 

Imagine a semi final line up of O'Connor Vs Murphy and Milkins Vs Pengfei. Nuts!

1 minute ago, charliepie said:

Very scrappy match, hope Rob wins for the bet anyway.

even if he does though he'd lose to Pengfei with this form. He's all over the place with his safety play. If the 150k wasn't on offer for Allen then he'd be winning.

Just now, Fader said:

even if he does though he'd lose to Pengfei with this form. He's all over the place with his safety play. If the 150k wasn't on offer for Allen then he'd be winning.

saying that, ofcourse you like him to play Pengfei over a Ronnie or Higgins.