** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

Racing Chat - Wednesday 2nd March

I've had a 'small' EW bet on

4.05 Muss - Sambezi - 9/1 Bet365 B.O.G. Each Way (1/5,  4 places)

Trainer Oliver Signy is 'knocking on the door' ( 3 placed from just 4 runners last 2 weeks). He takes this 1 horse on a 740 mile round trip. Tried chasing and it didn't work out, reverts back to hurdling today. Top Jockey Gavin Sheehan is booked for his only ride of the day. At 9/1 with 4 places (11 run), it is a value EW selection.

Fenrir Binding 3:40 Wincanton (11/1 bet 365). I followed the gamble on this one at Huntingdon on his stable debut but he clouted the 1st fence and could never get on terms. He did stay on for pressure to finish a fair 3rd (4th won next time out), which suggest he should be capable of winning off this kind of mark (down 5lb from that day). Made another bad mistake next time out and pulled up and maybe didn't enjoy the really heavy ground last time over hurdles. Had a small bet in a bad race!

Needs to learn how to jump ?

Edited by yossa6133

2 hours ago, Bang on said:

I've had a 'small' EW bet on

4.05 Muss - Sambezi - 9/1 Bet365 B.O.G. Each Way (1/5,  4 places)

Trainer Oliver Signy is 'knocking on the door' ( 3 placed from just 4 runners last 2 weeks). He takes this 1 horse on a 740 mile round trip. Tried chasing and it didn't work out, reverts back to hurdling today. Top Jockey Gavin Sheehan is booked for his only ride of the day. At 9/1 with 4 places (11 run), it is a value EW selection.

Where did you get the info about how far the horse has travelled?  The Racing Post app used to display such info, but it seems they updated it and the info is no longer available.  

4.35 Musselburgh

Let's start with the race at Musselburgh first where we have a short price favourite in Rio Des Echanault. He won a poor hunter chase at Kelso last season and I said after the race that he would really have to improve to win another one as he found one of the weakest races he possibly could. The fact he was given a handicap rating of 89 after it proves how bad it was. However he does seem to have improved since then and he fully deserves to be a short price favourite for this race. He's won two races this season both at Friars Haugh. The first was a match, but the win last month had much more substance to it. The 2nd won a point on Sunday and the 3rd finished a close 3rd off 115 at Carlisle on Monday. He's only 8 so there obviously is scope for improvement and to be honest if he was mine I would have been tempted to have kept him pointing and then attacked a few handicaps off his mark because he would be so well handicapped off 89. I'm sure though connections will be hoping to win the final to this series at Kelso in May which is a decent pot to be fair.

Ravished clearly has the best recent form in the race having finished 2nd to Hazel Hill last January and he was 6th in the Aintree Foxhunters. The problem is he is now 14 and he has also moved yards. His jockey also trains him and the only time he has trained horses is when he had a couple back in 2015. It's his first run of the season and if he was till with Joe O'Shea then you would give him a chance, but I'd be amazed if he is fit enough first time out at the age of 14.

I thought Ferocious looked like he wasn't going to finish 2nd behind Jett at Kelso as he wasn't travelling as well as Wonderoftheworld when that one unseated. It's hard to know what he achieved there though and the 3rd at Alnwick wasn't a bad effort so he might be capable of better. I was a bit surprised Wonderoftheworld was going better because I didn't think he would be able to beat Ferocious although there was long enough left off the race that you couldn't be fully certain what was going to happen.

Nine Altars was 2nd in this race in 2020 to Virak when he flew late to not actually be that far away in the end. He was also a decent 2nd in the final of this series at Kelso last season and in 2019. The problem is he comes here on the back of finishing last of 3 in a point back in November and the jockey isn't the best. He's 13 now and as much as he is clearly capable of running well it would be disappointing if he was able to beat the favourite. 

Not often you get a horse who was pretty useful on the flat end up in hunter chases, but Now Children got into the 90s on the level. He wasn't great when he went jumping though. To be fair to him he was still travelling well enough last time when he was brought down, but then we don't know if he would have stayed 3m which has to be a doubt. 

I just find it hard to see anything other than a win for the favourite. He looks progressive unlike the rest and whilst if he was coming her just on the back of the Kelso win then I might have been dubious he showed last time that he has clearly improved since then and is better than that bare form.

Rio Des Echanault 4pts @ 11/10 with William Hill (take up to 4/6)

53 minutes ago, alexcaruso808 said:

Where did you get the info about how far the horse has travelled?  The Racing Post app used to display such info, but it seems they updated it and the info is no longer available.  

The info is still there
Click on the 3 Blue Dots at the top in RP app
Go on signposts
Long distance travellers

Edited by Valiant Thor
make bold