** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

English Cups - August 2016

Is it their development squad? I noticed their Under 21's were beat 3-2 by Burnley today. Can't find anywhere that it is the development squad that's all.

Blackburn, Derby, Norwich and Preston would be my picks.

Can see Luton beating Leeds too.

Edited by Chester9185

1 hour ago, Chester9185 said:

Is it their development squad? I noticed their Under 21's were beat 3-2 by Burnley today. Can't find anywhere that it is the development squad that's all.

Blackburn, Derby, Norwich and Preston would be my picks.

Can see Luton beating Leeds too.

Ah, wait a minute. I'm getting the bloody EFL Cup and EFL Trophy mixed up! A lot easier back in the days of them being called completely different names!

i really think peterborough and exeter are going to cause upsets. exeter have been playing some decent football but not really getting results they deserve and peterborough at home never hold back. francesco in my opinion is going to underestimate this competition and get a reality check. cups in england are very hard unlike elsewhere in europe. it all really depends how managers approach it

Scunthorpe Utd v Bristol City

(Bristol's head coach Lee Johnson will make some changes in his squad.)

Scunthorpe Utd: Duane Holmes (2/0 m), Sam Mantom (2/0 m), Luke Williams (2/0 f)(all doubtful), Jamie Ness (1/0 m), Paddy Madden (0/0 f, last season top scorer)

Bristol City: Adam Matthews (2/0 d), Joe Bryan (3/0 d), Zak Vyner (0/0 d)

Stevenage FC v Stoke City

(Stoke's head coach will make several changes in his squad.)

Stevenage FC: Tom Conlon (4/0 f), Steven Schumacher (0/0 m)

Stoke City: Jack Butland (0/0 first goalkeeper), Glen Johnson (0/0 d), Xherdan Shaqiri (1/1 m)(all doubtful), Stephen Ireland (0/0 m), Ibrahim Afellay (0/0 m)

Daily updated injuries and suspensions information from more then 100 football leagues and competitions at: www.injuriesandsuspensions.com

10 hours ago, sajtion said:

i really think peterborough and exeter are going to cause upsets. exeter have been playing some decent football but not really getting results they deserve and peterborough at home never hold back. francesco in my opinion is going to underestimate this competition and get a reality check. cups in england are very hard unlike elsewhere in europe. it all really depends how managers approach it

Yeah, I really rate Paul Tisdale as a manager and would fancy Exeter to give anyone a game. It's tough to tell what sort of squad Hull will put out. Due to their thread bare squad they might be forced to just keep the same squad they've been playing in Premier League games or they might rest those players and save them for the league by putting a youth side out. Either way, they won't be 100% sharp so I think you're right.

Off to the Wolves match tonight and expecting to see new signings borthwick-Jackson and Ola John play a part. Justt to give some team news to potential Cambridge backers, Zenga says he won't be weakening the team and is taking the cup seriously. We are gathering quite a large squad now and are rotating first team players every match so anyone thinking about backing Cambridge bear that risk in mind. 

I´m fancy here a small combo of Crystal+Everton and Newcastle....

All playing against League Two side Teams and specially Cheltenham and Yeovil are fighting only for Relegation, so i think they are not unhappy if they will go down today. Also Everton and Crystal i think will take a good Squad. Everton with Lukaku, Bolasie and Williams and think they will play all longer then 20 or 30 Minutes.

Crystal may with the debut of Benteke, so for me after 2 loses in the league the great chance to take Benteke in and give them matchpractice with his new team mates.

Newcastle also welcome back Mitrovic after suspension. So think this men alone can shoot down Cheltenham and it will give Newcastle a boost that Mitrovic are back.

So for me:

Everton+Crystal+Newcastle @ 2.00 4/10 bet365

blackburn have been showing their strength in this competition as oppose to their domestic form and liverpool should dominate against burton but they just don't know how to keep the goals out. defending is not in jurgens klopp dna so i can see both team scoring. i feel monk is trying to build team spirit in leeds and this match is an opportunity to lift them up. i think he will want to win.

On 23.8.2016, 16:46:15, Neubs said:

I´m fancy here a small combo of Crystal+Everton and Newcastle....

All playing against League Two side Teams and specially Cheltenham and Yeovil are fighting only for Relegation, so i think they are not unhappy if they will go down today. Also Everton and Crystal i think will take a good Squad. Everton with Lukaku, Bolasie and Williams and think they will play all longer then 20 or 30 Minutes.

Crystal may with the debut of Benteke, so for me after 2 loses in the league the great chance to take Benteke in and give them matchpractice with his new team mates.

Newcastle also welcome back Mitrovic after suspension. So think this men alone can shoot down Cheltenham and it will give Newcastle a boost that Mitrovic are back.

So for me:

Everton+Crystal+Newcastle @ 2.00 4/10 >bet365

Bet Won

So, we don't call it the Paint Pot Trophy anymore...I'm sure we'll come up with a new moniker...but as with the new Scottish Cup format, this one has me concerned. The JPT was an extraordinary competition for underdogs, but now that it's group play rather than knockouts, I wonder whether the dogs will bark. Many teams used to treat the first round or first two rounds as one-offs, but now that they'll get four matches in group play, will they press for points, settle for draws, approach things strategically, what? In the Scots League Cup, the favorites in group play went 32-4-4 at home, 17-4-4 away. It seemed the dogs were just completely outclassed and strategy didn't come into it at all. It's certain that the quality gap here will be far more narrow.

My other concern is with regard to the U-23 teams. Who is on these squads? Are they any good? In the Scots Challenge Cup, the U-20s were favored in their first matches, and did very well, going 7-1-4 in the 64th round, but then went 1-1-5 in the 32nd round.

23 favorites of under 2.00 in 32 matches, and in this case it's the U-23s who are dogs. Ugh. They must be pretty poor to be five to one against Coventry or whomever.

Any thoughts on this, much appreciated. 

39 minutes ago, allthethings said:

So, we don't call it the Paint Pot Trophy anymore...I'm sure we'll come up with a new moniker...but as with the new Scottish Cup format, this one has me concerned. The JPT was an extraordinary competition for underdogs, but now that it's group play rather than knockouts, I wonder whether the dogs will bark. Many teams used to treat the first round or first two rounds as one-offs, but now that they'll get four matches in group play, will they press for points, settle for draws, approach things strategically, what? In the Scots League Cup, the favorites in group play went 32-4-4 at home, 17-4-4 away. It seemed the dogs were just completely outclassed and strategy didn't come into it at all. It's certain that the quality gap here will be far more narrow.

My other concern is with regard to the U-23 teams. Who is on these squads? Are they any good? In the Scots Challenge Cup, the U-20s were favored in their first matches, and did very well, going 7-1-4 in the 64th round, but then went 1-1-5 in the 32nd round.

23 favorites of under 2.00 in 32 matches, and in this case it's the U-23s who are dogs. Ugh. They must be pretty poor to be five to one against Coventry or whomever.

Any thoughts on this, much appreciated. 

My thoughts on this are...avoid the U23 teams, they are priced up pretty long, no one knows how they will fair, no one knows sod all about them. I would stick to ties involving league teams against other league teams. Having said that there isn't much to go on price wise in them games either. There are on or two prices that catch the eye.

Carlisle are priced at 2/1 against an Oldham team who have drawn a blank in 4 of their 7 games already. Carlisle have had a reasonable start, only reasonable but I think they have a chance here, just based on the fact that Oldham are so impotent.

Portsmouth 19/20 (this price has dropped drastically, they were 21/20 earlier this aft) travel to Yeovil, sure Pompey will be after promotion but I'm sure they are a far better side than Yeovil who took a 4-1 caning at Doncaster on Saturday and have been ropey from day one.

Crewe 12/5 travel to Accrington, neither team have had a great start to the season but Crewe seem to be making a better fist of it than Accrington. Think the 12/5 on Crewe is generous given that Accrington are nowhere near the team they were last season and they seem to know where the net is, in all 7 games they have scored 11 times and in previous cup ties this season they have knocked out a team from one division higher and ran another from two divisions higher to extra time only losing 4-3.

Carlisle 2/1 Portsmouth 19/20 Crewe 12/5 give a treble at 18/1

I think it's the fact that nobody knows sod all that make them attractive, initially anyway. How on earth can these sides be4/1 or 5/1 when we don't know the quality?

in the old format, the matches were priced up on table position rather than form...a League Two side away to a League One side would be 4/1, just because. And because few teams cared, there were always upsets. Why shouldn't that carry over here? One thing that might speak against it is professionals want to lose to a team designated U-23. And also, with group play, there isn't always the same sense of urgency. Teams that are uninterested still have to have their schedules clotted with four of these damn matches.

Just to give an example...Wolves U-23 have Dicko, who scored 13 and 14 goals for Wolves in 2013-14 and 2014-15 in Championship and League One. He scored for Rotherham in this competition in 2013. He scored in the League Cup in 2014 and 2015. Wolves U-23 also have Ebanks-Landell, who has played 14 cup matches over the years. The rest of the squad are 17-19 years old, but can't say the squads will completely lack experience.

2 hours ago, Tiffy said:

Thanks. I'm going to retire now as I am on 100% success  after 1 post! My problem is that I am really busy Fri & Sat, so find it difficult to post. But will try and make some time.

Yeah, you can't dodge, duck, and dive with a 100% record Tiffy. Get more involved. Forget being busy! Get involved!

How have you all done tonight on these matches?