Monthly Naps Competition, Saturday 19th December 2015

btugero

1.50 Ascot

A Class 3 handicap chase and any of ten runners could be given some sort of chance. One of the favourites is Mon Successeur from the Paul Nicholls yard. Just had four starts in the UK since coming over from France and is yet to win. He was second at Exeter last time but has been raised 7lbs which is a bit harsh. La Vaticane looked the likely winner at one stage last time when third to Aloomomo at Newbury, he drops back in trip and must have a good chance of notching his first win for the Pipe’s. Mountain King is talented but a couple of pounds too high at present while Gores Island ran well last time out and could nick a place.

Selection: La Vaticane 5/1 Laddies

A3.35 Sternrubin e/w 14/1 Betvictor

This horse is seeking the 3-timer here and can go close off this higher mark. The collateral form of some of the horses runs is really strong. Even the horses 2nd at Sandown when splitting Lil Rockerfeller and Old Guard reads really well since they have subsequently won off 146 and 157 respectively. Sternrubin is on 134 here which is 6lb higher than its last run but the horse had a bit in hand so perhaps this is still a fair mark.

Ascot 3.35 - Renetti @ 14/1 Betvictor

The Greatwood form may turn out to be the strongest here and I fancy Renetti to run another big race off 147. He was slow away that day and has his quirks but stayed on to finish 4th from the rear in a slowly run affair which was a big effort. Crucially the pace here looks much stronger and Ascot may play to his strengths unlike the tight old course at Cheltenham where it can be hard to make up ground.

Asc 2.25 - Thistlecrack - win at 9/4 bog bet365

Long walk Hurdle, grade 1, around 3 miles

Fascinating race with a couple of classy up and comers taking on the reigning champ who has won this race for the last 3 years

At 10 years old I think Reve de Sivola might just be there for the taking now although he did run ok on his seasonal debut in France and usually comes on a lot for a run

Saphir du Rheu is another grade one staying hurdler who has been alternating between sticks and fences and ran in the Hennessy last time. I can't rally find anything wrong with him to be honest .........only that I'm not keen on chasers reverting to hurdling. I think they can be inclined to overjump, although obviously some manage it more successfully than others and this horse is perhaps one who can do it.........he did win a grade 2 hurdle after a few runs over fences last year

My selection is possible the least exposed of the main runners, having only come to the fore at the end of last season, winning and placing 2nd in grade one races. Ran a terrific race on seasonal debut when winning a grade 2 at Newbury despite his trainer saying he would come on a bundle for the run

He's the new kid on the block and might have more to come than the other two