Racing Chat Thread

Re: Daily Racing Chat Thread

So.... Mr Parrot is fairly sure that Pro Punters back at 1/10...!? :spank Ignorance is bliss John! Only Harry Findlay and Whizz can make this pay surely?!;)
I do think it was a good bet , one of the few bankers of the year . I wouldn't go as far as to put my mortgage on , but if i could have pawned my second hand Lexus and buy it back at the same price , I would have done and lumped on. I know many wouldn't dream of backing long odds on shots , but sometimes they provide income with very little sweat. I recall reading an article about 20 years ago about Harry Findlay before he became a prominant racing figure , and at the time he said he regularly bet £16K to win £1K , £20K to £1K etc , on tennis / snooker matches. In later years , I did read he went bust a few times :)

Been said a lot of times but bookies on couse 3 places for massive fields is a disgrace. And they moan about online betting/turnover etc.......
I've asked a few times on here with no reasonable answer, do you know why 20+ runner fields don't pay 4 places like the last race at Ascot today ?

Re: Daily Racing Chat Thread I backed Medicean Man in the 3:05 Ascot today, each way @ 33/1. It was a Group 1 with 22 runners, 2 or 3 bookies paid 4 places and i was lucky i got the 4 places online as the horse finished 4th, but i agree i was surprised that there were only 3 places paid for that race, as the favourite was 9/2!!!

I've asked a few times on here with no reasonable answer' date=' do you know why 20+ runner fields don't pay 4 places like the last race at Ascot today ?[/quote'] It's a listed race mate so whether it's 20 runners or 40 runners they don't officially have to pay more than 3 places as it isn't a 16+ runner handicap. Some bookies might offer 4 places to get trade as a special but if it's likely to cost them loads they are unlikely to bother. Bet365 are usually pretty good for paying extra places, did any of the bookies offer 4 places for that last race at all today? Looking at that last race there were 8 or 9 with no chance out at 50-1 to 100-1, maybe that influenced them to go only 3 places?

Re: Daily Racing Chat Thread Didn't say anything about Frankel yet. Simply because I'm left without words. Frankel pulverising a bunch of top class horses in the Queen Anne Stakes... it's so unreal. It blows me simply away! It's absolutely unbelievable. It's too good actually, something like this is actually not possible, yet it happens! It looks as if the rest of the field is standing still when Frankel accelerates. Personally for me this is the most impressive Frankel win so far. It's just quite hard to believe... Frankel in HD: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SjAYqWS9FQ0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SjAYqWS9FQ0

That was the best one for me. Just absolutely unbelievable. They look like Grade 6 handicappers against him! Absolutely absurd. As for my day personally, I honestly couldn't have had a worse day if I tried. Not even a placed runner. I don't know what to say. I'm embarrassed!
Keep plugging away mate, the reasoning is spot on and on another day you'd be looking at several winners. 2 winners and a place for me from 4 races that I bet in but I downed stakes after losing plenty on the footy recently and then ended up kicking myself.

Keep plugging away mate' date=' the reasoning is spot on and on another day you'd be looking at several winners. 2 winners and a place for me from 4 races that I bet in but I downed stakes after losing plenty on the footy recently and then ended up kicking myself.[/quote'] It's not particularly surprising at these big meetings - winners are so hard to come by. Thought I'd get a bit more of a run for my money than I did, though. Fingers crossed for tomorrow! Nice work today :ok

It's a listed race mate so whether it's 20 runners or 40 runners they don't officially have to pay more than 3 places as it isn't a 16+ runner handicap. Some bookies might offer 4 places to get trade as a special but if it's likely to cost them loads they are unlikely to bother. Bet365 are usually pretty good for paying extra places, did any of the bookies offer 4 places for that last race at all today? Looking at that last race there were 8 or 9 with no chance out at 50-1 to 100-1, maybe that influenced them to go only 3 places?
We all know the differing place terms for h'caps and non h'caps , just hoping to get a reasonable answer . My own opinion is in line with TheRat , that it is to skank punters.

As for my day personally, I honestly couldn't have had a worse day if I tried. Not even a placed runner. I don't know what to say. I'm embarrassed!
I look forward to this meeting every year and have learnt to keep stakes low especially the handicaps , may have decent sized bet in some of the Gr1's. This is one of the few meetings where the vast majority of connections are trying their best to win. I can only remember 3 or 4 Royal Ascots where I've come out massively infront , so if I get one EW placed horse on the day I'm happy.

Re: Daily Racing Chat Thread If anyone is interested, i had a call from a friend of mine Robert Jones, young jockey from my homeland, he said to have a few quid on Loughnagall in the Wexford 8:00! He is riding it himself. Worth a few bob..... Can't wait to see Black Caviar run, and see how good she really is!

We all know the differing place terms for h'caps and non h'caps ' date=' just hoping to get a reasonable answer . My own opinion is in line with TheRat , that it is to skank punters.[/quote'] The on course bookies are all robbing b'stards. They are often going 1/5th and 1/6th ew on course in handicaps and loads going win only when there looks to be ew value and a short priced favourite.

Re: Daily Racing Chat Thread Frankie Dettori cost me plenty when failing to ride out Bunting for a place in last years Oaks.... I was very quick to get in line of people wanting to throttle him!!! Fair play though for getting up for third today in the POW on Farhh - like I'm sure he cares what I think!!:lol You know it's gone a bit Pete Tong when you are greatful that a jockey rode out for 3rd!!!

Re: Daily Racing Chat Thread I'm glad this will be the final BBC Royal Ascot , I find most of the presenters awful. Can't stand that Rishi , he is one of the worst presenters on TV , Henry Cecil ran circles round him yesterday in the post Frankel interview. Probably due to cutbacks they've got ride of that repugnant James Sherwood and that fairy Louis Marriette. Just that milf Suzy Perry this year which is just about bearable. John Parrot should stick to snooker or pantomine. Bartlett is Ok but his tone sends me to sleep. I know C4 also have a few awful presenters too but hopefully they'll do a better job.

I'm glad this will be the final BBC Royal Ascot , I find most of the presenters awful. Can't stand that Rishi , he is one of the worst presenters on TV , Henry Cecil ran circles round him yesterday in the post Frankel interview. Probably due to cutbacks they've got ride of that repugnant James Sherwood and that fairy Louis Marriette. Just that milf Suzy Perry this year which is just about bearable. John Parrot should stick to snooker or pantomine. Bartlett is Ok but his tone sends me to sleep. I know C4 also have a few awful presenters too but hopefully they'll do a better job.
I'm totally with you on that one. It will be good riddance to racing on BBC rather than goodbye. Unfortunately Racing UK don't have Ascot or I'd have watched this weeks racing on there. Rishi is embarrassing, he makes me cringe every time he opens his mouth. He asks the most pointless and ridiculous questions and you feel like the jockeys and trainers just humour him and take the piss at times. I could have stabbed that Sherwood bloke in the eyeball with a rusty fork, he made my blood boil so good to see he's not on this year. Willie Carson was a great jockey but he is useless as a presenter, can't pronounce the horses names, gets facts wrong and then tries to sound clever like when he informed us all that Dettori won his only Derby on Authorized, yeah we know Willie. :eyes I like Clare Balding though, hope she moves over to Ch4. She's not exactly eye candy but she knows her stuff and does her job well in my opinion. We have Emma Spencer if we want to perve on Ch4. ;)

I suppose you get what you pay for...RUK have by far the best coverage imo. Not keen on BBC/C4 equally really.
On that point I was watching Saturday's racing on RUK and James Willoughby was in the studio. At one point he was 5 from 5 and had a few decent priced winners and gave some good reasoning for his picks. I don't see much of him these days in the RP but noticed he is in the Racing Plus. Is he out of favour at the moment?

Re: Daily Racing Chat Thread Racing Plus is obviously owned by RUK now so he writes in that instead. I know the BBC coverage is annoying, as a racing fan and punter I just can't watch it at all but you have to appreciate that this is terrestrial TV and it has to appeal to the masses and try and encourage people into racing through any means. They also have to dumb down coverage as well. We are all horse racing fans and punters so the whole thing is bound to piss us off but the vast majority of people watching will not really have a clue, and a lot will be interested in the fashion element

Re: Daily Racing Chat Thread Just so delighted for So You Think. I admire this big horse... I really do. He looks massive on TV or stream but in nature he's stunning. Was so happy to get chance to see him at the Curragh recently. Great to see him winning today anyway, that was the real SYT I guess. He's got so much stick from the racing folk the past 12 month, and sure they had a point, kind of at least, he is not a wonder horse, but he is still a really, really good horse. 10 Group 1, more than €5m on price money... that speaks for itself. Prince Of Wales' Stakes: http://youtu.be/daX5GwER4CU

http://youtu.be/daX5GwER4CU