Racing Chat Thread

Re: Daily Racing Chat Thread All the horses you're mentioning aren't anything special imo. The trio Silviniaco Conty, Kauto Stone and Celestial Halo are average for me. Never been top class, never will be. SC flattered like that over hurdles for a run or two, but then was found out when the races became proper grade class. Kauto Stone same, couldn't cope with the Betfair Chase, which was a cracking race and one by one they dropped like flies. He's by no means a known quantity yet. Not sure his Ireland win is strong form at all. Celestial Halo is always off the bridle when it's true G1 race. Run on form or below form is hard to stay, but none of the 3 should've won their respective races. The novices are all uknown quantity. Just because it's Nicholls doesn't mean they are good enough.

Frankie Figg is gone, Crack Away Jack looks gone. The Minack was running a decent race off top weight and they were going crazy pace from the start there.

I backed two Nicholls horses this weekend. Martys Mission and Flaming George. Both ran crackers and both met a rival that was too good. Both improved markedly on their previous form and on different day would've been winners. Well clear of the rest.

Re: Daily Racing Chat Thread Oh, i see you had it in your trends. Well done Bowles. 11/2 too. 3m 4f in the mud, never came off the bridle, jumped perfectly, definate Grand National contender for me, let him bowl along in front and see what happens. Will stay the trip no problem whatsoever, i had a bit of the 25/1 each-way.

Re: Daily Racing Chat Thread Giles Cross doesn't stay extreme distances. This Haydock flat 3m4f is his limit. As soon as he goes beyond that and he is beaten (3m6f at Chepstow is too far). Synchronized you could argue was too well in, but Le Beau Bai simply outstayed him in the Welsh. By no means LBB was better handicapped than Giles imo. 4m4fm round Aintree no chance. You could see Denis didn't want to ask him for any effort off the bridle, because the response would be next to nothing. He travels at speed for 3+ miles and jumps for fun, but if he has to battle he falters. With that in mind, I thought the ride he was given on Saturday was immense. Had he panicked and gone off the bridle earlier, Neptune would've caught him on the line. :clap

Re: Daily Racing Chat Thread yep saw that mileni, that was my concern, as you say the horse ties up. The only difference for aintree is that no horse really stays the distance, they are just there on adrenalin !! Calgary bay is another whom i expect would be well fancied to do well at Aintree but stay 4m4f, no chance for me Junior and Ballabriggs can get those extreme distances and on faster ground. Neptune collonges may even be abloe to do it on favoured ground.

Re: Daily Racing Chat Thread But have you factored in it is an improving horse? Denis O Regans quote: He'd definitely get the trip at Aintree but it is all about the ground for him and I don't even know if he would get in. If he says it will stay, i wouldn't disagree with him. He rides the horse.

Re: Daily Racing Chat Thread Just because he rides the horse doesn't mean he knows better than me :) When you ask jockeys they always say their horse will stay, they'd go on the ground or they have the speed to cope with better race or better ground so on and so forth. I prefer to make my own judgement. Giles is like Oscar Time. Will be up there going well for a long way, but when push comes to shove few will go past him.

Re: Daily Racing Chat Thread

He stayed 4m 1f at Newcastle. Was well beat' date=' but doesn't mean he didn't stay the trip.[/quote'] Love your argument :D That race is the most appropriate example actually. Only 3 finished, Morgan Be was several fences behind, Companero won, Giles was virtually walking and almost refused. Finished desperately tired. Can't say he stayed the trip, he barely stayed on his feet.

Haha' date=' i see what your saying Mileni. I just think the horse is better this year, your starting to make me regret my bet at 25/1.. Lol[/quote'] no one should ever be put off though Aidy, you make your choice based on what you think is best. Good luck

It appears a cough is around the Nicholls stables he tweeted. "Unfortunately we've had to cancel the Chelt media day on Wed. After a moderate weekend some horses have a cough"
Surely this makes Zarkandar's performance more impressive than it seems and with the fact it should come on for the run, it could be anything in the CH!

Surely this makes Zarkandar's performance more impressive than it seems and with the fact it should come on for the run' date=' it could be anything in the CH![/quote'] It doesn't mean he is coughing too. When there is a virus only some are affected. I remember Willie having a cough last season and at the same time Fly, Thousand Stars and novices were hacking up. Some ran below par, but not all.

Re: Daily Racing Chat Thread I didn't have a bet today but I just watched the Ardlui race (Juvenile Hurdle at Doncaster). Can anyone explain to me why this horse hasn't been gelded yet? I'm no expert on hurdling but to my eye he has trouble jumping and loses momentum a key times. He clearly has plenty of ability but I just don't get why he hasn't had the job done yet. Doubt he'll be used for breeding so its baffling me as I think he could be very good if he can sort his jumping.

So Minsk? Decent 1st run or all talk? I thought the former to be honest' date=' the ground's not that great at Fairyhouse (sft/hvy) and the 1st and 3rd are probably decent 130ish horses.[/quote'] I thought he ran OK. Bit slow over some hurdles but I think he will be much better on better ground. He has clearly had problems so I would expect him to be much better at Cheltenham with that run under his belt. Very tempted by the 16's on offer by laddies. Pretty happy with my bet on Grumeti though.

Re: Daily Racing Chat Thread Ruby is on there, become a follower and help those of us that backed him to get over 25k followers by the first day of the Festival! RE Minsk, what a sickener. Trainer has said they picked up on an infection on Sunday morning. Under the circumstances, if all of the hype was ignored, I guess you'd say it was a highly promising hurdles bow. Not good enough to win the Triumph, mind, it is a shame that they couldnt get that run into him earlier in the month, so maybe there was some truth in the rumours that he had been lame. Looks a Group horse on the Flat and can see him running well this year somewhere in the big stayers races.

Re: Daily Racing Chat Thread I hate it when trainers run their horses for merely a day in the countryside. Donald McCain ran his Grand National winner Ballybriggs at Kelso today to get it spot on for the National . From a punting point of view this is out of order. Is the horse fully fit or not ? If not then why not ? Afterall horseracing revolves around betting and realistically he should have won if he ran to his true ability. I believe that if you run a horse , you should be aiming to win . If you want to get it fit , don't do it at the expense of punters. For those who don't know , Ballybriggs ran in the same race last year and got turned over at odds on . Not talking through my pocket , because I didn't bet on either occassion .