Monthly Naps Comp Wednesday 7th Oct

8.55 Kempton

Not the best card of the week and have to wait to the last race of the day to find my one and only bet of the day. Its not a race to go into too much detail as you can write most of these out on recent efforts and known form.

Circuitous is a risky favourite in my opinion, not won since 2013 off a mark of 74. Has dropped a long way in the weights and has run well last 3 starts on turf. Hasnt raced on the AW since 2012 but was previously useful on it so therefore could be a real threat back around here however isnt going to get a soft lead in this field.

Hellbender is another that is likely to run up with the pace but is also another that hasnt won for sometime but has dropped to a good mark. Been running well off much lower turf mark recently and is well drawn tonight.

Shahrazad has dropped to 7lb below her last winning mark but she is very much an all out front runner and her last win was a 5 runner handicap back April last year, this is clearly more demanding with other pace angles in the race but one to watch this winter for sure as she will pop up n one of these at somepoint.

Queen Zain for me is the most interesting having only her 4th start to date and making handicap debut after showing some promise in maidens, they have been all on the AW surface so that is not a concern and her opening mark of 55 looks exploitable given the maiden she ran in last time out the 2nd that day has since gone on to win off a mark of 67 she was 4.5 lengths behind her so potential. Clearly been freshened up for a winter campaign and well drawn tonight in stall 4.

1pt win Queen Zain 7/1 coral

2.20 - Towcester - Ask A Bank 1pt @ 7/1 (Paddypower)

I'm not surprised to see some early money for Ask A Bank who should really be good enough to pick up a race off this mark. He's a maiden from 8 starts and his form is very mixed but the best of it would give him a good chance here. I don't think he ran as badly as his finishing position suggests at Stratford last time, travelling well enough before failing to find much off the bridle he finished a mediocre 7th of 13, hinting a slightly shorter trip may be in order. The form of that race looks solid (3rd and 4th won since) and i'd image that this trip (2m 4f) at a stiff course would suit well.

He's now a further 3lbs lower than his last run and Jamie Bargary claims a valuable 7lbs putting him on a nice low weight for this. He should strip fitter for the run and that advantage may just count against some making their seasonal re-appearance in this. 

1655 Navan - Marise 40/1 victor

Finished 3rd at 33/1 in December, then won over 8 furlongs. Hasn't done great since then on longer trips on soft or heavy besides a 5th finish on good ground, but all runs have been at sp above 16/1. This time 40/1 seems too much and might offer some value. Coackley has an interesting odds average for his wins which I like when looking for outsiders at big odds.

4.10 Nottingham - Rocket Ronnie 1pt win @ 10/1 Bet365

Comfortable winner last time out in the first time head gear.  Hoping it can do the trick again. Small rise in the weights seems fair and I can see him going well again.  There are a couple of handicap debutants in the race from bigger yards but I am happy to stick with Rocket Ronnie. Ed McMahon's horses are going ok at the minute.  

Trainer Tim Vaughan sends out just the two runners for Ludlow, i'll take a chance on the runner that Richard Johnson rides.

The 6yr old gelding was once with Michael Stoute but has been with Mr Vaughan since March, his only career wins came under Sir Ryan Moore and even today's race could be one just to watch or just a small interest bet.

His future will be marked out and a market check could give us a hint if Johnson lets off the handbrake, or just another wind-up schooling for better things to come.

5pm Ludlow - Rye House. 1pt Win Bet @ 10/1 Bet365

N4.10 Roayh 40/1 Coral

This horse has shown nothing for its current yard but there's really strong evidence before that for the horse to be really well handicapped here. The current trainer wouldn't be booking the likes of S De Souza if the horse was regressive and he didn't fancy it so it's worth giving one more chance to with SDS riding out of his skin and the horse having its ideal conditions. Indeed the horse won off this trip and ground as recently as this May off a mark 3lb higher than todays under Jason Hart. The horse was heavily eased down that day and hacked up by 6 lengths. The horse has the high draw today which is usually favoured in soft ground. Providing the current stable hasn't ruined the horse (which is a leap of faith, hence the price), then it could go very close, otherwise it'll finish out the back like most of its recent runs for the stable - at 40/1 I'll take the chance.

Towc 3.25 - Serenity Now - win at 3/1 bog ladbrokes

Class 3 handicap hurdle

The current favourite, Argot, comes from the Longsdon yard and his runners are always poor value at tis time of year as they tend to backed whatever as he's got the reputation of being an early season trainer. Of course they still win races and this one won last time out at Plumpton.

Plumpton and Towcester are very different and it remains to be seen how he handles a stiff track having won over no further than 6 furlongs on the flat and on a sharp track over sticks

My selection looks more of a stayer having won over 14 furlongs on the flat and over 20 furlongs at Hexham. He was beaten just over a length off this mark on his return to hurdles last time out and I'm taking him to outstay the favourite up the hill.

Nottingham 16:10 Top Diktat 0.5pt ew @ 16-1 BetFred

Dropping down the weights after a poor season but scrapes in this 0-73 at the top of the handicap and gets soft ground for the first time since his win off a mark of 84 back in April last year. Will likely be held up for a late run but today's extended mile is on ideal ground and he will be ridden by a decent 5lb claiming apprentice. 16-1 looks a good value ew bet.

Mengli Khan 15.05 Notts 10/11 Bet 365

Ran a terrific race on debut and went straight into my notebook ran on well and finished behind some well regarded horse who also had benefited from a previous run,the time was also very good and could be a useful type

Edited by Soi Bongkot

500 Ludlow: Grams And Ounces 9/2 bet365/888

In the best form for a couple of years but although racing off another weight rise he is still 20lbs below the rating he had back in 2013 and 17lbs below his present chasing mark. Won on the flat the other day just to show his well being and as long as the rain hasn't got into the ground he must go close again.

4.45 Nottingham  RAYAK  takes the eye under Graham Lee, as looked capable of improving when winning, but then failed to shine.  Needs to find more on all we know, but I'm sure capable of better and should appreciate the trip and ground today.  Interesting jockey booking and a massive price, so in a race full of ifs and buts, looks well worth taking a chance on.

0.5pts EW 66/1 Bet365 BOG

Kempton 7:25: Little Lord Nelson @ 25/1 betvictor e/w thanks

Little Lord Nelson...from Stuart Williams yard the 3yo had three frame finishes a 1st 3rd and 2nd over 6f ,7f and 8.5f and was looking to have came on from his early 2yo runs but for some reason the horse did not perform in last race at Epsom 8.5f when he finished 8/9 runners, He's been running with tongue strap in his race but this time their adding the hood on aswell to see if we get some improvement for that last run , Jockey Aaron Jones claiming 5lbs has been on when winning and 3rd place also on in that poor last race so he'll be able to judge if hood makes a difference as he's in saddle again

Towc 3.25 - Serenity Now - win at 3/1 bog ladbrokes

Class 3 handicap hurdle

The current favourite, Argot, comes from the Longsdon yard and his runners are always poor value at tis time of year as they tend to backed whatever as he's got the reputation of being an early season trainer. Of course they still win races and this one won last time out at Plumpton.

Plumpton and Towcester are very different and it remains to be seen how he handles a stiff track having won over no further than 6 furlongs on the flat and on a sharp track over sticks

My selection looks more of a stayer having won over 14 furlongs on the flat and over 20 furlongs at Hexham. He was beaten just over a length off this mark on his return to hurdles last time out and I'm taking him to outstay the favourite up the hill.

Cracking Post!

500 Ludlow: Grams And Ounces 9/2 bet365/888

In the best form for a couple of years but although racing off another weight rise he is still 20lbs below the rating he had back in 2013 and 17lbs below his present chasing mark. Won on the flat the other day just to show his well being and as long as the rain hasn't got into the ground he must go close again.

You got lucky, Grrrrr