** April Poker League Result : 1st Like2Fish, 2nd McG, 3rd andybell666 **

Group A - Brazil v Croatia > Thursday June 12th

[TABLE=class: couponTable, width: 617]

[TR=class: row0, bgcolor: #F0F0F0] [TD=class: firstColumn]Brazil v Croatia (21:00 GMT)[/TD] [TD=class: selectionBestOdd, align: center]1.4[/TD] [TD=class: selectionBestOdd, align: center]6.6[/TD] [TD=class: selectionBestOdd, align: center]13[/TD] [TD=class: bppWidth bpp, align: center]94.27 %[/TD] [/TR] [/TABLE]

• 5 months later...

Re: Group A - Brazil v Croatia > Thursday June 12th Marathon bet is paying 1.5something for Croatia with a +2 handicap. Am I the only one who thinks this is high? I mean Croatia isn't Japan or Cameroon. Do they think Brazil will win every match 4-0 or something. I'm sure if you check prices of other books they're nowhere near 1.50's... Modric, Rakitic, Mandzukic, Perisic, Olic etc fully capable of getting a couple

Re: Group A - Brazil v Croatia > Thursday June 12th Then insert Jelavic there instead. Of course they won't get a point from this one, but a good display is easily possible. A 2-1 loss or something like that. I would also back Croatia with a plus handicap. Pinnacle gives 1,403 for the +2 line, quite shabby, if you ask me, but Croatia+1,5 seems value at 1.82

Re: Group A - Brazil v Croatia > Thursday June 12th For those who are interested, here are the results of the World Cup opening game since 1974. 1974 - Brazil 0 - 0 Yugoslavia 1978 - West Germany 0 - 0 Poland 1982 - Argentina 0 - 1 Belgium 1986 - Italy 1 - 1 Bulgaria 1990 - Argentina 0 - 1 Cameroon 1994 - Germany 1 - 0 Bolivia 1998 - Brazil 2 - 1 Scotland 2002 - France 0 - 1 Senegal 2006 - Germany 4 - 2 Costa Rica 2010 - Mexico 1 - 1 South Africa Plenty of upsets in there.

Re: Group A - Brazil v Croatia > Thursday June 12th

Plenty of upsets in there.
Plenty of low scoring encounters aswell, the only freak show was Germany V Costa Rica but that was partly to do with that stupid ball they were using and everyone kept scoring from 40 yards out.

Then insert Jelavic there instead. Of course they won't get a point from this one, but a good display is easily possible. A 2-1 loss or something like that. I would also back Croatia with a plus handicap. Pinnacle gives 1,403 for the +2 line, quite shabby, if you ask me, but Croatia+1,5 seems value at 1.82
Jelavic is nowhere near the quality of Mandzukic - I would be looking at a tight game with Brazil winning 2-0. Brazil are very strong defensively and will nearly always score (maybe not 4..) so I'm happy to take a fired up Brazil against an understrength Croatia at 1.98 on -1 Handicap at 32redSport

Re: Group A - Brazil v Croatia > Thursday June 12th I agree you cant logically oppose Brazil here despite the number of upsets in opening games. The low scoring point is valid, remember only two of the opening group games in South Africa went over 2.5 goals. Brazil are a lot more 'functional' now than in the past. While a low scoring game would increase the theoretical value in taking a handicap advantage for Croatia, Im with Fezzik I think Brazil win an attritional game 2-0. But at the prices, under 2.5 goals looks the value to me at present at odds against.

Re: Group A - Brazil v Croatia > Thursday June 12th One bet that I still really like is the 1st half under 1@pinnacle. With Mandzukic suspended I see all Croatia players on their own half while possibly trying to counterattack and snatch the win agains a tired and kind of desperate Brazil with pressure from homecrowd in the last 40-30min. I have not liked what I have seen from Brazil against Serbia and Panama.

Re: Group A - Brazil v Croatia > Thursday June 12th Other than Brazil, the rest of the group looks fairly tight with Croatia, Cameroon and Mexico. Croatia will obviously be targeting the Mexico and Cameroon games for a victory rather than the Brazil game. Importantly though, with this looking like a tight group, it will be important that Croatia do not receive an absolute spanking by Brazil as this will harm their goal difference - this is how World Cup groups are decided should two teams finish on the same points (rather than head to head like the Spanish league). I can see this being a tight affair with Croatia sitting deep and trying to contain Brazil for as long as possible, trying to quieten the partisan crowd and would be delighted with a draw. This doubled with the fact that opening World Cup games are quite often cagey games I think that the value lies with under 2.5 goals at evens with BetFred.

In Neymar' date=' they have one of the most deadly finishers in international football[/quote'] Are you sure about that?! After watching him for one whole season in Barca and in quite a lot friendlies of Brazil, I would say he is a good striker, but definitely not among the best and most clinical in the world. He is Alexis Sanchez level at the moment, anything else is just media hype. I watched each friendly of Brazil in the last two years and they almost never really impressed me. And these friendlies had value of official games for them, as they didn't hold any official matches (the last coach was fired for bad results in friendlies). Brazil struggles a lot against compact and well organized defensively team, who can keep calm possession in midfield and organize fast counters. Last year at Wembley Russia completely outplayed Brazil, leaving then with no space and no chance to penetrate the well organized Russian defense - only a lucky strike in the last minutes gave Brazil the draw after Russia had taken the lead. England also outplayed entirely and defeated Brazil with 2:1 by standing deep and hitting them on the counter. And in all honesty, this team of England is no better than Croatia. Serbia last Friday was better than Brazil for long periods of the match. And Serbia very much resembles Croatia in team's style and quality. It will be a very tough test for Brazil and I will strongly disagree with the expectations for easy win by a handicap. I guess Brazil will sneak the win eventually, but these prices are not appealing, and I would prefer live betting.

Re: Group A - Brazil v Croatia > Thursday June 12th brazil playing in their own country will rise to the occasion because of big home support and i think will just edge this match but it will be close as croatia are good technical side and with modric and raketic in midfield they are able to build up play going forward but they will be not have mandzukic in this match so they will be weaker in attack. i think game will end 2-1 to brazil

People are also forgetting Brazil are hosting this tournament and will have the most passionate and patriotic fans in the world backing them from start to finish. Good luck everyone!
I respectfully have to disagree on this issue. I am Brazilian and I say that fans from the northern and northeastern regions are very tolerant and patient with the Brazilian national team, but fans from São Paulo are much less tolerant. Brazil began to be booed in the first half against Serbia. Besides, the prices charged by FIFA for the World Cup are very expensive for Brazilian standards, and if Brazil does not perform well, the fans are going to feel like being robbed and will not hesitate to boo. Moreover, I agree with everything said by Fedar. Brazil won every opening game since 1982 WC. Following is the list of games: Brazil 2x1 USSR (1982) Brazil 1x0 Spain (1986) Brazil 2x1 Sweden (1990) Brazil 2x0 Russia (1994) Brazil 2x1 Scotland (1998) Brazil 2x1 Turkey (2002) Brazil 1x0 Croacia (2006) Brazil 2x1 North Korea (2010)

Re: Group A - Brazil v Croatia > Thursday June 12th Opening game preview: 4pts Brazil HT/FT 10/11 Ladbrokes Brazil set a crazy tempo but they often score early and dominate the game from there and I expect them to do that here. This is the match they’ve been waiting a couple of years for and I don’t see them passing up the chance to lay a marker down and perform to a high level. Croatia haven’t been helped by Mandzukic’s suspension so I’ll go with Brazil getting in front early and staying there. Full preview here: http://www.punterslounge.com/brazil-vs-croatia-betting-brazil-can-start-the-world-cup-with-a-bang

Re: Group A - Brazil v Croatia > Thursday June 12th I do not see much value in the outright markets - 1.33 seems too low for me. It is true that Croatia had a very bad qualifying campaign, but still the team managed to improve its form recently and with the likes of Kovacic, Modric, Rakitic, Olic, Corluka - there is enough quality in this team not to suffer a big loss in its opening game. At the same time, Brazilian team is no where near the quality of the previous generations and Neymar has not proven himself to be a world-class player with his performances this season. Therefore, I think as this will be most probably be a Brazil win, it will be a narrow one 1-0 or 2-0. Furthermore, given the pressure from the fans and the nervousness of the starting the tournament in your home country, I think that the first half will be goalless with many mistakes from both teams. Last, but not least given the presence of risky tacklers such as Dani Alves, Marcelo and David Luiz, the usual Balkan hard tackling style of defending, expected runs of Neymar and Hulk, and the nervousness of the first opening game, I find a lot of value in the cards market - over 4.5 cards. Over 4.5 cards @ 2.100 Bet365 Under 2.5 goals @ 1.75 Bet365 HT Correct score 0-0 @ 2.75 Bet365

For those who are interested, here are the results of the World Cup opening game since 1974. 1974 - Brazil 0 - 0 Yugoslavia 1978 - West Germany 0 - 0 Poland 1982 - Argentina 0 - 1 Belgium 1986 - Italy 1 - 1 Bulgaria 1990 - Argentina 0 - 1 Cameroon 1994 - Germany 1 - 0 Bolivia 1998 - Brazil 2 - 1 Scotland 2002 - France 0 - 1 Senegal 2006 - Germany 4 - 2 Costa Rica 2010 - Mexico 1 - 1 South Africa Plenty of upsets in there.
Prior to 2010, the Champions kicks off the 1st match in the World Cup. The format was changed in 2006 (Germany) & 2010 (South Africa), where the host starts the 1st match. Hence, here are the results of the World Cup hosts opening game since 1974: 1974 - West Germany 1 - 0 Chile 1978 - Argentina 2 - 1 Hungary 1982 - Spain 1 - 1 Honduras 1986 - Mexico 2 - 1 Belgium 1990 - Italy 1 - 0 Austria 1994 - USA 1 - 1 Switzerland 1998 - France 3 - 0 South Africa 2002 - South Korea 2 - 0 Poland / Japan 2 - 2 Belgium 2006 - Germany 4 - 2 Costa Rica 2010 - Mexico 1 - 1 South Africa Host have never lost the World Cup, but outright market odds on Brazil win is pretty low.

Re: Group A - Brazil v Croatia > Thursday June 12th Do not underestimate Croatia. They are wellknown for having fighters alike Olic, Rakitic, Mandzukic and Srna. A huge defeat would be crucial to their moral, so Kovac is likely to try and counter-attack, as Brazil is expected by the entire world to attack. Croatia played horrible after their defeat in the qualification campaign to Scotland, and Kovac will try to avoid the same thing from happening again. Both teams are keen to hold possesion, but Croatia will definately be overmatched here. In the qualification campaign, other teams e.g. Belgium and Serbia, had a hard time scoring against Croatia due to their style. On the other end of the pitch Croatia had difficulties scoring. Under 2.5 goals @ 1.75 >Bet365

Both teams are keen to hold possesion, but Croatia will definately be overmatched here.
Brazil should have more possession, indeed, but I don't think their midfield will dominate heavily. In fact, Modric-Rakitic is, imo, a center midfield pair which is more technical and good in possession than Ramirez-Fernandinho or whatever couple Scolari comes up with. It remains to be seen whether Niko Kovac will use this pair or will prefer to play Rakitic on the wing as he did in many qualifiers. The latter will be a mistake, because Rakitic is much more functional in the centre of the pitch when he takes up the ball deep in his own half and makes the build up of Croatia attacks. It remains to be seen what formation Croatia will use. In the qualifiers, they alternated between several different formations. Against easier teams and in home games, they chose 4-4-2. Highly unlikely to use it against Brazil. In most of the derby games, Croatia played with 4-2-3-1, which is probably the most likely formation for tonight. But in some matches, they chose the ultra-defensive 5-4-1, and I wouldn't be surprised if they play like this tonight, which is additional argument for under backers.

Brazil won every opening game since 1982 WC. Following is the list of games: Brazil 2x1 USSR (1982) Brazil 1x0 Spain (1986) Brazil 2x1 Sweden (1990) Brazil 2x0 Russia (1994) Brazil 2x1 Scotland (1998) Brazil 2x1 Turkey (2002) Brazil 1x0 Croacia (2006) Brazil 2x1 North Korea (2010)
Looking at the above, I have to say I am pretty convinced that this will be a 1 or 2 goal win for Brazil. Add to that the fact Croatia have lost 9 times in their last 50 games played in which their largest loss was by a 2 goal margin. I feel the opening game is going to be very cagey and Brazil should win this narrowly. I found a bet which I really like the look of, which covers Brazil winning by 1 or 2 goals in a cagey game. 4pts Correct Score Group Betting: Brazil to win 1-0, 2-0 or 2-1 @ 2.10 Skybet

Re: Group A - Brazil v Croatia > Thursday June 12th I have to say I think Croatia @ 16.00 Betfair is an astronomical price. :eek World Cup openers are notorious for shocks over the years, think Cameroon v Argentina, Senegal v France but Croatia are no minnows. I'd say they are a better team than England technically and there's no way England would be 15/1 to beat Brazil! If they keep Brazil quiet for first 15 minutes, they have every chance of causing an upset in my opinion and this isn't the greatest Brazilian side I've seen. It's actually fairly poor in comparison to sides of the past. I'd rather stick my head in a blender than be on Brazil @ 1.30, especially as all the pressure is on them.

Re: Group A - Brazil v Croatia > Thursday June 12th Brazil To Win To Nil 17/20 @ SportingBet Brazil come into the World Cup in great form winning 15 of their last 16 games and 11 of those 15 wins were to nil. Croatia will be without their main goal threat in Mario Mandzukic and whilst they have some very talented midfielders in Modric and Rakitic their striking options without Mandzukic are fairly weak. I don't think we will see many goals in this one as both sides will try to feel their way into the tournament but Brazil should have enough to overcome Croatia and shut them out at the back.

Serbia last Friday was better than Brazil for long periods of the match. And Serbia very much resembles Croatia in team's style and quality.
I saw quite a bit of that game, and Serbia really should have scored. Brazil looked shaky at the back.

Re: Group A - Brazil v Croatia > Thursday June 12th Rakitii and Modric are in the form of their lives and are both easily in the top 10 midfielders in the world right now. I just don't agree with the opinion that Croatia are going to sit back and only counter. I see them winning the midfield battle and creating chances, the only question is whether the inconsistent Jelavic and Olic have their shooting boots on. I honestly think this has the potential to be one of the games of the tournament if Croatia score first. 15/1 on Croatia is bonkers, they have way too much class to be that much of an outsider.

Re: Group A - Brazil v Croatia > Thursday June 12th Maybe too much pressure on Brazil tonight against their fans? The hosting country has never lost on their opening game in a WC competition. No value on the 1.30 odds though. Definitely worth a punt at Draw/Brazil (HT/FT) at 3.80 with Marathonbet. Alternatively, you can get it at around 3.75 with Ladbrokes and Hill.

Re: Group A - Brazil v Croatia > Thursday June 12th Brazil vs Croatia = both teams to score @ 2.55 Marathonbet (5/10 stake) Finally the World Cup is here! Everything promises a great event and it cannot be any better than that opening between these two eyecatching teams. Of course the Brazil are the big Fav here but Croatia are a quality team as well on top of having World Cup history themselves. It’s enough to mention the dynamic duo in the middle Modric-Rakitic and it becomes clear their forwards will be presented with some chances during the game. And giving the fact the first matches at the World Cups after the opening ceremonies have often been tight and tricky affairs, we might just witness the Dog scoring here. Of course, I’m ruling out Croatia clean sheet but giving the circumstances and the fact Brazil could relax after 3:0 either concede as I mentioned it’s possible above, these odds become looking quite tasty. After all the hosts’ defense is not as solid as the other parts of the squad, so I’ll really kick myself if I miss out 2.55 for Both Team To Score! :hope

Re: Group A - Brazil v Croatia > Thursday June 12th Here's my preview: Hosts Brazil meet Croatia today in the opening match of the 2014 World Cup, at the Arena Corinthians in Sao Paulo. Form Historically the two sides have met twice, with Brazil taking one win, and the sides playing out a draw in the other fixture. Brazil’s previous warm up friendly was against Serbia, where they were able to post a 1-0 victory, a slightly surprising result given the two teams world FIFA rankings. Croatia were also able to come up with a 1-0 win in their last friendly, when they edged out Australia, in a game where they were the better side but did not dominate. Injuries & Suspensions There are no injury concerns for either team, though Croatia will be without Mario Mandzukic, who will serve a one match suspension for a red card against Iceland in November 2013. Prediction & Tip Brazil will get the win here, though it may not be the high scoring affair some might expect. With the weight of expectation, and being an opening match, we predict the first half to be a tight affair, with Brazil taking control in the second half for a 2-0 victory.

Re: Group A - Brazil v Croatia > Thursday June 12th Plenty of differing opinions on here, I know where I'm sitting! I think there is a vast difference between Croatia's best players and the rest of the team. Modric is world class, Rakitic had a great season but he won't be playing as far forward as he does for Sevilla, Croatia's lack of decent defensive midfield cover means he is used deeper. Their defence is average at best, they lost twice to Scotland in qualifying! Strinic and Simunic will both be missing at the back and they both played in 9 of the 12 qualifiers. Mandzukic was their leading scorer in the qualifiers with 4 and Eduardo next with 2, all due respect but Eduardo and Jelavic aren't really International quality and despite Croatia's strength in midfield they will lack anyone with real quality up front. I think people are overestimating the strength of the Croatia side in general, easy to say the well known names and make them sound better than they are but 1 point from the final 4 group games tells it's own story and stumbling over the line against an average Iceland side hardly makes me think they can cause an upset. Confidence will be a big thing tonight, expect a nervous performance if it stays 0-0 for too long, but if Brazil can get the opening goal I don't see many goalscorers in the Croatia team.