** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

BBOTD Saturday 26th of January 2013

This is not only the BBOTD he must be the BBOTY so far. 3.35 Cheltenham Cleeve Hurdle. @13/8 Skybet >Victor BOG = OSCAR WHISKY. win Now the king is not on the scene, Oscar should clean up in this division given his conditions. By the time the race comes around tomorrow, it will no doubt be heavy, and with his relentless stride, he will pull away to his hearts content, I put him in at evens for tomorrow, and rates a 5 star bet for me.:)

Re: BBOTD Saturday 26th of January 2013 17.00 Wolverhampton: Dundrum Dancer @ 6/1 Bet365 I thought this mare showed a very impressive performance in her most recent race at Wolverhampton after coming back from a 2 month long break. She was a 40/1 shot that day but certainly didn't run like one as she was travelling strongly in mid-field on the inside turning for home and found plenty when asked for an effort. She finished a decent 2nd in the end, just beaten by the lightly raced winner who was probably well handicapped that day. For Dundrum Dancer it was the first time over the 9f trip and while she showed two decent performances in the summer last year at Brighton this was probably her best performance so far. Earlier in her career she showed some promise in Ireland, finishing placed in some decent races, but so far she found it impossible to put her head in front. This could change tomorrow as she should be in great shape with the recent run under her belt, she is competitive over course and distance and while her mark went up 2lb it looks a wise move to give promising 5lb claimer WT Davis the ride. This race here tomorrow looks competitive but I think Dundrum Dancer will be in with a big shout nonetheless and 6/1 looks to be a shade to big in my mind.

Re: BBOTD Saturday 26th of January 2013 C2.05 Cape Tribulation e/w 14/1 William Hill Some of those at the head of the market have question marks against them which combined with old father time catching up with them means that it might pay to look elsewhere. Cape Tribulation has won at the course, has an excellent strike rate and Denis O'Regan is back in the saddle who has partnered the horse in most of its best races. Won a 24 runner race here (albeit over hurdles), which is a big plus and I don't think it'll go off as big as 14's.

Re: BBOTD Saturday 26th of January 2013

3.00 Cheltenham: Neptune Investment Management Novices’ Hurdle (Grade 2) (2m4f110y) This race on paper looks a match between Coneygree and The New One, both have won their three previous races without much fuss and both won decent Graded races last time. The New One is the ante post favourite for the Neptune and Coneygree is well fancied for the Albert Bartlett which is over the longer three-mile trip. It’s hard to choose between them but I suppose the fact that the Twiston-Davies runner is going over his preferred trip just sways the balance in his favour on this occasion. At Fishers Cross and Whisper make it a very interesting contest and we shouldn’t be surprised to see a Festival winner on show here.

Selections;

1pt The New One 10/11 Stan James

Re: BBOTD Saturday 26th of January 2013 15.00 Cheltenham - The New One - 1pt win @ 10\11 Stan James With BillyHills on this one. Backed this at Warwick early last time and got Evens and this price now is an absolute gift! Course winner here in October and unbeaten over 3 hurdle runs with a grade 2 already to his name. This harder than last time but still expect to win easy today and show that he is a real top class horse. Will go off at alot shorter price

Re: BBOTD Saturday 26th of January 2013 1500 cheltenham 1pt win the new one 10/11 betvic going from strengh to strengh,and i have a little bit on for the festival, so i need to go for it, only ever beaten in a bumper, and is a course and distance winner seems to be ticking all the boxes

Re: BBOTD Saturday 26th of January 2013 14.15 Wolverhampton Thunderball 1pt win @10-1 (Bet365) Is now 1lb lower than last winning mark and has won off a 5lb higher mark on the turf last year, drops down to 5f today after not seeing out the closing stages of last few races. Yard hitting some form having a winner the other day and 3 2nds from their last 5 runners (1 @ 25-1) so hopefully a big run coming from the horse today!

Re: BBOTD Saturday 26th of January 2013 3:00 Cheltenham: Whisper 1pt win 9/1 Bet365 Whisper lines up here unbeaten in his two outings and he could hardly have been more impressive. Nicky Henderson has a powerful string yet relies on this inmate against some strong opposition. That said Whisper comfortably got the better of 130 rated The Jugopolist last time out. May have this completely wrong, however wondering if the market has over reacted to The New Ones wide margin win.

Re: BBOTD Saturday 26th of January 2013 17.00 - Wolverhampton - Haywain EW @ 16/1 BetVictor Couldnt find anything that tempted me at Cheltenham so i will stick to the AW. The price of Haywain caught my eye in the penultimate race at Wolverhampton. His first 4 career runs came last summer where he hinted at having some ability, most notably when finishing 4th at Beverley in May. He made his re-appearance run after 230days off a couple of weeks ago at this course. He finished a fairly well beaten 7th but wasnt discraced and could probably have done with the run. He broke well from his low draw and led them round the first 5-6f at abit of a crawl before failing to find much in the sprint finish. He may not have seen out the trip either so the slightly shorter distance they go tomorrow might suit him and a 3lb ease in the weights wont harm his chances either, particularly as it means he can drop in class too. First time blinkers go on, drawn in stall 1 again, Franny Norton is booked to ride (22% SR for Kevin Ryan in the last 12 months) and he was aboard for his best run last year. Has entries in races here on Monday and Tuesday too so abit of money tomorrow for this one could be interesting.

Re: BBOTD Saturday 26th of January 2013 *Salute To Seville > Wolverhampton 5:30 > WIN @ 3/1 VC BOG* Only horse in the field that has a course win to it's name, and that was over course and distance last time out, where it dead-heated with Amelia Hull. Still lightly raced and should still have more improvement. Is only up 3 pounds for that success, and this is a weak enough race tomorrow. It wears blinkers again tomorrow, which were on for it's win last time out. I thought this one would be favourite, so it's nice to see a backable price of 3/1.

Re: BBOTD Saturday 26th of January 2013 2:25 Cheltenham - Imperial Commander - 1pt Win 6/1 Hills Not much I can say about this horse that hasn't been said, but I just feel that Hills have taken a bit of a chance pricing this up at 6/1 tomorrow. Granted it hasn't seen a track for 680 days for a reason, but this horse is a genuine class act when everything's right, and has won from very long breaks in the past. The Twiston's are renowned for bringing horses back from long lays off to be perfectly race fit and to win so fitness shouldn't be a huge problem tomorrow. The yard having a fantastic season so far, including Hello Bud winning a huge race at age 14 and The New One looking a class act too, 6/1 looks big tomorrow for a horse receiving weight from horses rated lower than it.

Re: BBOTD Saturday 26th of January 2013 15.35 Cheltenham: Kauto Stone, 15/2 Ladbrokes, win Kauto Stone is a grade 1 winner over fences so the fact that Paul Nicholls has switched him to hurdles is eye-catching, possibly hoping to replace Big Bucks in the World Hurdle. He won a grade 2 over hurdles during his time in France. Today's ground will suit as all his wins have been on soft or worse ground. Today's distance should be ok as well as he won a grade 1 over 3m. He gets 8 pounds from the market leaders and he should be involved in the finish if taking to hurdles. Paul Nicholls is in good form and he has a good record here. Ruby Walsh is in the saddle which is an obvious plus. Trainer and jockey have a 29% SR together from over 850 runs.

Re: BBOTD Saturday 26th of January 2013 Cheltenham 2.25 - Tidal Bay 1pts win 11/4 Coral A very interesting renewal but my money will be carried by a horse at the top of his game right now in Tidal Bay. Winner of three of his last four starts including the Lexus lto at Leopardstown. The only slight concern is if he is going to be 100% spot on for this given the concerns earlier on this week but I'm guessing they wouldn't risk him if they were overly worried. Ruby looks to have struck a good understanding with this tricky but talented horse and Im hoping that great partnership will gain another win today.

Re: BBOTD Saturday 26th of January 2013 13.15 Cheltenham - Katenko 5/1 >Paddy Power BOG I really like Katenko, especially in the way he cruised home last time ahead of John's Spirit and considering I believe the former to be well handicapped then this one must be also. He has a proper engine and he jumped perfectly at Sandown and whilst the step back in trip might prove a slight hindrance, I expect him to come bounding up the hill while the others are found wanting. These conditions will be perfect as well.

2:15 Leopardstown MARITO should surely improve further with a step up in trip. He beat Mount Benbulben last time with a excellent round of jumping. They meet again here today to cross swords and the Willie Mullins inmate is fancied to come out on top again. MARITO has a lot of class and with only 2 chase starts to his name this individual with a host of grade 1 entries to look forward to on ground he will love today should take some pegging back. best price 9/4 stanjames / coral.

Re: BBOTD Saturday 26th of January 2013 Trainer Mr N.Meade sends out a few runners to Leopardstown, jockey Paul Carberry gets the leg up on all of them but i fancy them both in Race 1 on the card, Yaaaaaaa time 13:10 The 4yr old colt has 8 runs with 2 wins and i feel he ran a decent enough race back on the 27th Dec coming home 6th, that effort was here at Leopardstown over the 2m and he returns again today, the trip should be fine the ground should be fine and a small point to note is, Paul Carberry gets the leg up for the first time, if the horse strips fitter this time, he MUST run a close race. 1:10 - Leopardstown - Honourable Emperor. 0.5 E/w Bet @ 20/1 Laddies, 18/1 Bet365 - ''BOG'' Enjoy your Day, Yaaaaaaaaaa !

2:25 Cheltenham - Imperial Commander - 1pt Win 6/1 Hills Not much I can say about this horse that hasn't been said, but I just feel that Hills have taken a bit of a chance pricing this up at 6/1 tomorrow. Granted it hasn't seen a track for 680 days for a reason, but this horse is a genuine class act when everything's right, and has won from very long breaks in the past. The Twiston's are renowned for bringing horses back from long lays off to be perfectly race fit and to win so fitness shouldn't be a huge problem tomorrow. The yard having a fantastic season so far, including Hello Bud winning a huge race at age 14 and The New One looking a class act too, 6/1 looks big tomorrow for a horse receiving weight from horses rated lower than it.
One of my all time Fav chasers, cant wait to see him race, i wish you the very best of luck, hope he gets a safe round, he has been very much missed.

Re: BBOTD Saturday 26th of January 2013 Chelt 2.25 - Wayward prince - win at 12/1 bog bet365 Was a good novice a couple of years ago, beaten only a length in the RSA, after being a grade one winning novice hurdler, so he should have the class to be competitive in this company As with many novices he struggled in his first season against experienced chasers but the signs are good that he's got the hang of it now having won a Listed chase at Aintree in December Out and out stayer.............should be running on at the finish when the likes of Grand crus and Hunt Ball have cried 'enough'! Good to see Imperial Commander but at 12 years old and after 2 years of injuries would you really wanting to be backing him with cash ?

Re: BBOTD Saturday 26th of January 2013 12.40 Cheltenham - 1pt win Theatrical Star @ 14/1 (Hills) This was a race where I thought a lot of these had things against them and at 14/1 Colin Tizzard's runner makes appeal. Joe wouldn't be my first choice jockey to say the least but not much you can do about it and I hope he gives this one a good ride. This is going to be a testing 2m5f so the fact that this horse stayed three miles over hurdles bodes well this afternoon. Incredibly he's only won one race but has only had one handicap run over fences and he had obvious excuses (never travelling after being hampered/lost place). He stayed on to be 3rd behind now 140 and 130-rated animals at Exeter over an insufficient 2m2f and then didn't jump brilliantly behind a horse comfortably higher rated at Ascot. The race was against him given the lack of pace and he appears to want a good gallop to aim at (should get it here). He was allowed to stride on at Exeter last time to ensure a decent test and was only beaten narrowly by a horse who could be anything (good form, unexposed) and put 25l back to the third. He's probably not off a bad mark on that and with this likely to suit so long as his jumping holds up, I think he'll go well.

Re: BBOTD Saturday 26th of January 2013 1:50 Cheltenham - Sprinter Sacre - Back Nice short one for me today but just chuffed this race has been re-arranged from last week. He is a scintillating horse and has destroyed everything put before him so far. He travels strongly and jumps like a dream and he should be able to put this lot to the sword again here 1pt win @ 2/9 VC BOG

Re: BBOTD Saturday 26th of January 2013 Cheltenham 2.25 Cape Tribulation There's a few in here with questions to answer. Tidal Bay & Calgary Bay don't run, the defection of the former means Grands Crus is now the market leader. He ran well for a long way in the King George but was legless on the heavy ground at the finish & I don't think he gets up the hill at this distance at Cheltenham. Imperial Commander would win this pulling a bus on these terms on his old form but at 12yo's & after 680 days off surely NTD's has left a bit to work on for a final tilt at the Gold Cup. Hunt Ball ran better at Kempton LTO but he's another that will find this trip stretching him. Midnight Chase won this last year but has a 10lb pen for that, ran poorly in the Lexus LTO but does love the track. Weird Al has pulled up in the last two Gold Cups & breaks blood vessels. Wayward Prince & Quartz de Thaix have been running well but both need to find more improvement. Little Josh & Hey Big Spender are not up to this. The one who might have enough improvement in him is Cape Tribulation. Won the Pertemps Final at the festival & a valuable handicap at Aintree last season. Didn't like having to make the running in the John Smith's hurdle at Wetherby in November but was held up in the Rowland Meyrick back over fences there on Boxing day & landed that in taking fashion. Heavy ground that day so he handles that & gets the trip & he might have enough in him to take the step up in class today. Bet. Cape Tribulation 1pt win @ 8/1 Bet365 BOG. ​Rio.

Re: BBOTD Saturday 26th of January 2013 Hi folks, hope you don't mind me joining in. 2 each way single and each way double for today, both with Ladbrokes. Wayward Prince...12/1 Chase form in grade 2 or better...13421 All form with soft or worse in the going...2121147p21 All runs after a 7 week break...21111p2 Form at 3m+...1211134 Cheltenham form... Win and place from just 2 runs. His solitary unplaced run over 3m came in a visor( not worn before or since), on good ground and only 23 days after Cheltenham. His 3 poor runs came in big field handicaps. He looks to need single figure fields, soft ground,3m+, a 7 week break. He looks very under-rated to me. Taking his 2 runs this season. 2nd to high class Silviniaco Conti (168) and beating Quito de la Roque (155)- won grade 2 nto,means, IMO, he should be rated high 150s/160 and not his current 150. Next horse to follow..

Re: BBOTD Saturday 26th of January 2013 Walkon 10/1 at Ladbrokes. Hurdles form in grade 2+...11212 Hurdles form with soft or worse in the going...211220 Hurdles form after a 6 week break...122 Form for all races after a 6 week break...122142 Form at 3m+...5P...5th in a grade1, PU in Scottish national as a novice Cheltenham form...120522. Reverts back to hurdles from chasing where he never really convinced with his jumping. Not yet proven over 3m,but,IMO, he should get it. He has the look of a horse that wants soft ground and a 6 week break between races to be effective.

Re: BBOTD Saturday 26th of January 2013 :welcomeToast This thread is for a competition where you can only put up one selection a day, anything else needs to go into either the daily jumps or flat threads so feel free to put them in there! Rules for the comps and other useful info can be found at the top of the racing forum and feel free to ask anything else you need to know, enjoy your stay here :ok

Re: BBOTD Saturday 26th of January 2013 Would like to change my selection for today if that is okay as my initial one drifted out over night from 6/1 to 25/1+... 14.20 Kenilworth: Cape Royal @ 9/2 Sportingbet Grade 1 action from South Africa, it's the Cape Flying Championship over 1.000m and what a cracking renewal that is! Usually this is not my type of race but I can't resit a small bet on Cape Royal who looks to have a burden of potential. Hot favourite is obviously What A Winter, the highest rated horse in South Africa and a horse that does unbelievable things over 1.200m. However he's very much beatable over the shortest of trips, in fact he's got beaten more often than not over 1.000m as he's two from six here. Nonetheless he won this race in 2011 and finished runners-up in 2012, but the big question mark this time around is not only the distance but very much his well-being. His trainer tried - again unsuccessful - to show the world that WAW can stay the mile trip when he contested in the Grade 1 Queen's Plate two weeks ago. He had a very hard race that day and finished well beaten in the end, because he simply is not a miler. This race might have taken allot out of him, and it is a big ask to contest in a super competitive Grade 1 over 1.000m just two weeks later anyway as the drop in trip must be a worry. I'm a huge fan of WAW, no doubt, but think he's to take on at very short odds here. Everyone is speaking about the sprinting wonder Via Africa at the moment. This 3yo filly is super fast, she's won all her last four start, trashing her opposition. She is a potential star, but it is a tough ask for her stepping up into G1 company for the first time, also racing against males for the first time in her career. She isn't favoured by the weights as well and therefore it would take an absolute wonder performance from her to win this. I think this comes a bit too early for her. If she wins it she must be a wonder horse indeed, though. The rest of the field doesn't really look to have a chance here, apart of Cape Royal, which brings me to my selection. Cape Royal has a huge chance here I feel. He's a 3yo colt and almost equally progressive as Via Africa is, he's lightly raced and won four of his seven starts, is unbeaten in three now and looks to have a burden of potential and is of course very speedy. His most recent start was the real eye-opener though, when he contested in a very strong and competitive Pinnacle Stakes. He kicked on 400m from the finish, producing and instantaneous turn of foot but was badly hanging to the left 200m from the finish then and it looked as if he would throw away the victory as a result of that. He found back the balance though, and kicked on again, finding another gear to win even easily in the end only hands and heels ridden. He clocked a very fast time as well and could have been even faster obviously. He surly can improve again and if he does so then he could be the horse they all have to beat tomorrow I feel.

One of my all time Fav chasers' date=' cant wait to see him race, i wish you the very best of luck, hope he gets a safe round, he has been very much missed.[/quote'] Cheers mate, read your story about your massive bet on it. Never seen the horse at it's prime as I've only been betting horses the last year/year and half but hopefully the Twiston's have got this ready today, but if not up to winning then hoping like you that it gets round safe ready for the festival :ok

Re: BBOTD Saturday 26th of January 2013 2.45 Leapordstown - Carlingford Lough Going to try my luck at Leapordstown today and am enjoying the look of Carlingford Lough to get the win here. Has dropped down in weights considerably and will enjoy the soft ground. Has been coming close the last few races and can hopefully break this curse and get his first win on jumps. Nice price at 6/1 1pt win