** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **

Tennis: Australian Open 2012

Re: Tennis: Australian Open 2012 Onto tonight then. A bit knackered so not doing massive writeups. Tommy Haas vs Rafael Nadal- Under 29.5 games- 5/6 Blue Square- (5/10) Haas hasn't taken a set of Rafa in any of the 4 matches they've played and virtually all of those matches came when Haas was in better shape than he is now. He still has fitness concerns, shown through his withdrawal against Istomin in Brisbane and now I've seen Nadal come through his first match well enough, he shouldn't have too many problems. Haas could well keep it tight perhaps for the first set like Kuznetsov did, but after that I expect Nadal to motor. Haas dropped a set against Denis Kudla in the first round, a guy ranked outside the top 250 so it's hard to see him troubling Nadal in this one. Kevin Anderson (-5.5 games) to beat Sergiy Stakhovsky- 5/6 Bet365- (4/10) I like big Kev in this one and fancy him to win pretty comfortably. The first round matches of these two guys couldn't really have been any different, with Stakhovsky just about coming through Marchenko in 5 sets whilst Anderson easily dispatched of Nielsen. The Ukrainian hasn't started the season well, with loses to Karlovic and Reynolds and from his performance in round one, he doesn't fill me with any confidence what so ever. Anderson with a win under his belt should feel more at ease than he was in the first round. He won't give Stakhovsky too many chances on return whilst Anderson should get a fair few and even if he loses a set, he could still cover the handicap here. Tomas Berdych vs Olivier Rochus- Over 29.5 games- 8/11 Ladbrokes- (4/10) Similar thinking to Czech with this one really although it doesn't require Rochus actually winning a set. If he does this line will definitely be covered and judging from Berdych's first round performance, you'd have to fancy the little Belgian to be competitive here. To be perfectly honest, he doesn't actually have any real weapons to trouble Berdych and the Czech if he is on song could win this in no time at all but you simply can't expect him to at the minute. Dropping a set against Ramos in the first round is, well poor to be honest. He wasn't comfortable in the first set either and on a different day, Ramos could well have been 2 sets up there. Rochus is a better player on the hard courts and can be a nifty little customer. He returns well and actually doesn't have a terrible serve for a guy of his size and with Berdych not looking comfortable at all in the first round, there's enough to suggest Rochus can trouble his opponent here. He did okay against Ferrer last week, losing 6-3 6-4 so I'll have a punt on him mixing it up with Berdych here. Alexandr Dolgopolov (-5.5 games) to beat Tobias Kamke- 10/11 Bet365- (3/10) God knows what I'm doing backing the Ukrainian here after he needed to come back from 2 sets down to beat Jones in the first round but here I am. Looking at the scoreline, it just suggest a performance from Dolgopolov that we've come to expect. He seems to enjoy a nice old 5 set match when it comes to the grand slams and seeing as he won the final 3 sets for just the loss of 4 games, it just suggests to me that he always knew he was going to be comfortable once he finally got going and the scoreline seems to agree with that. Now he's had that potential 'scare', I think he might dispose of the German with a bit to spare. Kamke had an easy win over a lacklaustre Hanescu but if his serve deserts him at any point in this match, Dolgopolov should really eat him from breakfast. During the rallies Kamke doesn't have anything to really harm the big girl's blouse and although he may be erratic at times, I'll back him to come through comfortably comes the hand shake. Yen-Hsun Lu (-4.5 games) to beat Florent Serra- 5/6 Bet365- (3/10) If someone can PM me on why this handicap is so low, can you do so because I don't quite get it. Now I run the risk of looking like a fool if Serra wins in straight sets now but in my eyes that won't happen. He was 2 sets down in his opener before Darcis was forced to retire so he can count his blessings that he has picked up some extra dosh that he probably doesn't deserve. Lu won in 5 against de Voest which although may not look too impressive, the South African is a potential banana skin opponent given the way he can serve so I reckon Lu will just be glad to have got through that one. He wasn't ever behind in the match which says to me he always had enough to win that one and with Serra not possessing that big serve, it should suit Lu more as a matchup. Lu usually performs well in the grand slams and raises his game when he needs to and he'll make Serra run all day in this one. Being 2 sets down in his first round match and needing his opponent to retire just doesn't bode well with me at all I'm afraid and Lu should send the Frenchman packing like Darcis was well on course to do. Bernard Tomic vs Sam Querrey- Under 39.5 games- 10/11 Coral- (3/10) Now the only reason I can see for this line is Tomic's first round match against Verdasco in which he came back from 2 sets. That however should have given the Australian a ton of confidence though that comeback and I'd expect him to take care of Querrey with a bit more ease. Querrey isn't the player he was once was, and when his first serve goes missing, he really hasn't got the game to harm Tomic too much. Just think this line is too high and is based far too much on Tomic's win against Verdasco who is still a couple of steps up from Querrey. The American could well pinch a set, but I fancy Tomic to win at least one set well and even if this went to 4, the line should still be fine. Alejandro Falla (+7.5 games) to beat Mardy Fish- 4/5 Bet365- (3/10) Fish really didn't have to do much against Muller apart from stay in the rallies and wait for Muller to make an error so wasn't ever really tested in that one. Falla though I expect to trouble the American a bit more. He's started the season well, with wins over Young and Starace, as well as taking a set of Ferrer, and with a comfortable win over Fognini, he should have some confidence in his game. He's had some good results in the slams over the past couple of years or so, beating Troicki at the US open last year and almost beating Federer a couple of years back at Wimbledon so he shouldn't fear Fish at all. He's actually taken a set of Fish in 2 of the 4 meetings the 2 have played so there's enough from that for me to back the lefty Colombian. Couple for the women as well. Victoria Azarenka (-7.5 games) to beat Casey Dellacqua- 4/5 Coral- (3/10) Really not very keen at all with handicaps as big as this but more often that not, you see the top women players cover them. Azarenka dropped just one game against Heather Watson and it's hard to see her not repeating a similar scoreline in this one. Dellacqua was lucky Jovanovski just didn't really turn up in the first round as otherwise she would have been sent packing but Azarenka is far more consistent and is a far better player. You wouldn't put it past her winning 6-0 6-0 to be perfectly honest, but I don't see her being on court for too long and it's hard to see Dellacqua winning too many games here. Kai-Chen Chang vs Jelena Jankovic- Under 18.5 games- 4/6 Bet365- (3/10) I don't see Jankovic struggling either to be honest seeing as how she dealt with Robson with minimal fuss in the first round. Chang has done well to come through qualification and beat Martic in the first round but this is a different task completely. I expected Jankovic to struggle a bit against Robson but from watching it, she never really had to stray outside her comfort zone and still only dropped 2 games and it's hard to see Chang winning 7 games here.

• Replies 589
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Tennis: Australian Open 2012

Sport Tennis
Event Mc Hale - Erakovic
Selection Over 20.5
Strength 2/10
Date 18/01/2012
Bookmaker/Price Pinnacle Sports @ 1.95
Reasoning I see good chances for the over here. Mc Hale in first round beat in straight sets Lucie Safarova, but match been closer than scoreline suggest. McHale won only 2 points more on the return, but been stronger in key moments and take win. Erakovic won in two really close sests against Qualifier Pavlovic. Marina is girl, who feel very good on surface like that and can take many free points on the serve

Sport Tennis
Event Young - Lacko
Selection Young
Strength 2/10
Date 18/01/2012
Bookmaker/Price Pinnacle Sports @ 1.85
Reasoning I don't understand why this are that high. Young played against Lacko few months ago on the US Open Grand Slam and take win in straight sets. Young in first round beat very dangerous and tricky opponent - Peter Gojowczyk who trashed rivals in Q. Lacko beat Ljubicic in 5 sets, but Ljubicic leading 2-0 and concended energy, very lucky situation for Lacko.

Sport Tennis
Event Haas - Nadal
Selection Haas +9.5 (Asian-handicap)
Strength 2/10
Date 18/01/2012
Bookmaker/Price Pinnacle Sports @ 1.84
Reasoning For me this line is too high. Tommy Haas is very experience player and for sure can make troubes on the serve for Rafael Nadal. Tommy Haas in first round match played 5 sets against Denis Kudla, 5 sets - Haas played 100 points on the serve and lost.. only 24! Made 20 aces in this match, if keep this level of serving I see huge chances for make this handicpa line. I based on the Haas serve form and experience

Event Voskoboeva G. - Pironkova T.
Selection Pironkova T. -1.5 (AH) sets
Strength 10/10
Date 18/01/2012
Bookmaker/Price Pinnacle Sports @ 4.40
Reasoning Great price on Pironkova here. The Bulgarian is better ranked, younger, better player, higher with bigger serving, great move on court and she leads 1-0 head to head 6-4 6-4 here at Australian Open in 2010. Voskoboeva will struggle here she has no quality to make something against Pironkova weapons. I will back Wimbledon semi-finalists to win in straight sets she proved that can do it.

EventBenesova I. (Cze) - Peng S. (Chn
SelectionBenesova I.
Strength10/10
Date18/01/2012
Bookmaker/PriceBoylesports @ 3.00
ReasoningBennesova leads 2-0 head to head both matches won in straight sets. She played wonderful two weeks ago when stopped world number 6 the winner of US Open Stosur in straight sets 6-4 6-2, she failed in next round but played against Klijsters. Peng failed against Cibukova and Hradecka this year, she will not feel today comfortable against Benesova. I think the Czech woman has good chances here to reach next round if she show the fit of Brisbane.
Well Done TOTSE :clap:clap:clap Fantastic tip :ok

Re: Tennis: Australian Open 2012 Just thought I woud share what I have spotted in the match between Goerges and Daniilidou, I have Goerges as part of an acca but I must say there are very strange market movements especially on betfair. Goerges started out @ 1.34 this morning and is now 1.41 freely available, and there is a huge chunk of 10k wiling to lay her at that price. Also some one is mad to Back Danni for 4k @3.45? Seems to me that someone knows Julia isnt right for this encounter ,she retired last week with a virus against Jankovic so maybe she is still recovering, imo something is not right here and indeed all the bookies have lengthened her odds. Anyway no tip just a heads up, I sure hope she wins and if all things were right she would but I dont believe they are based on the money tryin to lay her.

Event Haas T. - Nadal R.
Selection Nadal R. -10.5 games (Asian-handicap)
Strength 10/10
Date 18/01/2012
Bookmaker/Price Paddy Power @ 3.25
Reasoning Haas is almost 34 years old, he will not be able to hold pressure of powerful Nadal. Rafa lead 4-0 head to head, the last match between was here in Australian Open three years ago 6-4 6-2 6-2, but had lot of time since. Nowadays Rafa is far better on hard court while Haas is under number 190 in ATP ranking. Tommy will be easy bite for Rafa today.

Event Benesova I. (Cze) - Peng S. (Chn
Selection Benesova I.
Strength 10/10
Date 18/01/2012
Bookmaker/Price Boylesports @ 3.00
Reasoning Bennesova leads 2-0 head to head both matches won in straight sets. She played wonderful two weeks ago when stopped world number 6 the winner of US Open Stosur in straight sets 6-4 6-2, she failed in next round but played against Klijsters. Peng failed against Cibukova and Hradecka this year, she will not feel today comfortable against Benesova. I think the Czech woman has good chances here to reach next round if she show the fit of Brisbane.
haven't posted much but I do follow some of you guys. I followed you on that mate!!! Thankyou very much, great tip :ok

Event Beck A. - Federer R.
Selection under 27.5
Strength 10/10
Date 18/01/2012
Bookmaker/Price Pinnacle Sports @ 1.91
Reasoning Well these two had played once at US Open in 2010, Roger Federer won 6-3 6-4 6-3. However since there Beck didn't improve his hard court game just because he played only 2 matches in 2011 on this kind or surface. In 2010 Beck played only seven matches on hard court and lost six. I don't believe Roger Federer will be stopped here. Two days ago Federer won 7-5 6-2 6-2 against player who is better ranked than Beck. Federer aim to spent less time on court should turn into clear three sets win today at least 6-3 6-3 6-3 or better and I think that will happen.

Event Dimitrov G. - Almagro N.
Selection Dimitrov G.
Strength 10/10
Date 18/01/2012
Bookmaker/Price Betsson @ 2.25
Reasoning These two never played before Almagro is number 10 in ATP ranking but he is typical claycourter, has no big success on this kind of surface. Big Dimitrov weapon is that he is still young and his big success is on hard court former champion for youngsters at US Open and Wimbledon in 2008. I watched Dimitrov ten days ago at Hopman Cup in Perth he was incredible against world number 8 Mardy Fish taking this match in straight set 6-2 6-1, Fish was totally upset there crying against the crowd. Almagro big success here is round of 16 but if he played like two days ago in 1st set he will has no chance to broke it this year.

Event Querrey S. - Tomic B.
Selection over 37.5
Strength 10/10
Date 18/01/2012
Bookmaker/Price Bet365 @ 1.80
Reasoning Well Tomic had big luck against Verdasco that the Spaniard had problems with his leg after taking 2-0 sets lead in opening round, finally Tomic steal that match 3-2 but he will be not so fresh today, that will be hist fifth match in 7 days including three 3-setters and one 5-setter. Tomic dropped one set in each of three matches who played at Kooyong exh. but he defeat Berdych, Monfils, Fish all that top 10 player. However that was not official tournament and it is questionable how percent of their fit used there all of them. On the other hand Querrey has each aim against de Schepper taking him in straight sets and I think he has power to take at least one set here. Big Sam is more experienced has big serving and if Tomic play like he did against claycourter Vedrasco this match goes over 37.5 games for sure.

Re: Tennis: Australian Open 2012 Rochus could not do it for the thread unfortunately. Stanislas Wawrinka to beat Marcos Baghdatis @ 2.20 with Pinnacle This is a 50/50 match at best and this price offers value. Wawrinka has his struggles, but he had some decent results recently and he made a good run in Melbourne last year, so he definitely has a chance against Baghdatis, who is just too hit or miss for me. It may also easily go to the distance and I would fancy Wawrinka in that case, since he seems to have that little bit of extra.

Re: Tennis: Australian Open 2012 Hi guys, 1 more pick for me for the Australian Open tomorrow: BARTOLI TO DEFEAT DOKIC BY 2:0 SETS @1.45 on expekt Bartoli is just a better player all around. I watched there match in Sydney last week 6:0 6:3 to Bartoli and Bartoli was close to win something like 6:0 6:1 actually. Bartoli is in an excellent form playing great this year, powerfully and consistently. Dokic defeated injured Chakvetadze in the 1st round but otherwise nothing from her lately.

John Isner to beat David Nalbandian @ 11/10 BET 365 Strength(7/10) I'm agreement with others about this as well, and the more I think about it the more confident I get. Isner for me really kicked his game on last year, starting around late Spring time. Had a very good hard court swing and pushed Murray in the US Open, which would've been and was beyond him in Oz two years ago. His little run at Paris confirmed his evolution to me and illustrated his willingness to try and step his game up a level in events he usually doesn't bother with. Nalbandian will pose problems with his return but if Isner can get on top of him early then I only see one winner. Just hope Nalby doesn't retire if the match goes long. :hope
:loon Isner the mental giant again. Reminds me of that win over Wawrinka in Paris, just keeps going does the Big Man.

Tomic vs Querrey - Tomic to win (-1.5 sets) & F' date= Lopez vs Cipolla - F, Lopez to win (-1.5 sets) @ 4/7 and 1/2 respectively - 1.36/1 as a double with Paddy Power - 4 Points As a double I can't see much going wrong here. Tomic to overcome a one dimensional player who won't live with him from the back of the court the way Nando was able to last round. Querrey hasn't had a lot of match time either, I'm talking real proper match time, at the top level. Aussie crowd and all, shouldn't require another 5 setter for Tomic to overcome Sam. F, Lopez should carry enough serving armoury to overcome Cipolla without 5 too.... Cipolla is tired after that epic with Davydenko and he is just quite simply not in the same vain of class and talent as Feliciano.
:ok :nana :cigar :clap

Re: Tennis: Australian Open 2012 Belluci vs Monfils - Monfils to win (-5.5 game handicap) @ Evens with Paddy Power - 3 Points Monfils is on another level to Belluci and he takes slam matches a slight tiny bit more seriously than he other events leaving me comfortable with the handicap, shouldn't even really lose a set in all honesty. Belluci is predominately a claycourter and poses no answers to monfils counter punching antics. Belluci vs Monfils - Monfils to win (-3.5 game handicap) @ 1/2 with Paddy Power - 4 Points This is to cover for if the -5.5 loses basically.

Re: Tennis: Australian Open 2012 Was going on serve, Isner was in trouble on serve a few times, especially at 8-8, had a few break points against and missed a few game points. Eventually held for 9-8 and broke for the match. Nalbandian had a bit of a hissy fit over a poor umpire call towards the end(possibly right aswell) and seemed to lose concentration after that. Isner looked gassed aswell, auto-fade in the next round perhaps, dunno yet.......:unsure

Re: Tennis: Australian Open 2012 Cheers. Yep, we all remember De Bakker taking advantage after the Lord Mayors show at Wimbledon a couple of years ago. Although I think Isner is made of sterner stuff these days, if he could get in easier match up in the next round he could be alright.

Re: Tennis: Australian Open 2012 Glad Isner pulled through for you guys. Keeps my outright on him going as well as the one on Dolgopolov. Much better night for me though, and could have been even better but the Tomic-Querrey match went a game over the line which is a tad frustrating. Good night though of +12.51 and I'm effectively on Isner to beat Lopez at 2/1 and Dolgo to beat Tomic at 5/6 so hopefully they both pull through. After last night's matches though I'm sitting on +0.52 for the tournament.

Re: Tennis: Australian Open 2012 Here are my picks for today Murray vs Roger Vasselin over 26 @ 1.90 Murray likes to give points away and he makes mistakes so I think that maybe one set could go in tie break and more than 26 is possible. My second match is( Ebden) vs Nishikori @ 3.74 Ebden is not so great player but he is coming and he plays at home and he is better and better player and I think that he could beat Nishikori.Anyway worth a try. One more match is Golubev vs Gasquet over 33.5 @ 1.96 I just don't like Gasquet he is mentally very weak and on big tournaments never good so Golubev could take a set or two maybe even beat him.:hope

Re: Tennis: Australian Open 2012 Peer to bt Lisicki @2.06 Pinnacle hard to say why Lisicki is fav here. She signed out from Sydney last week due to abdominal strain, and here perfomance against poor Voegele (SUI, ranked 138) in R1 was far from convincing - a three setter, 39 winners/55 UEs, offered 15 bkpts. Perhaps she is fav because of her nice run in the 2nd half of 2011. Peer was mostly a fading material last year, but she made semis last week in Hobart, where she did beat Hradecka and gave Wickmayer tight match in the semifinal, and her game here in R1 against local nobody Holland (ranked 181) was rather solid - 62 60, only 2 UE. What troubles me is low percentage of 2nd serve won, but the she neede second serve only in 20% of cases. Actually, their last meeting was Cincinnati last year (hard) and Peer won it 64 76. I'd say that bookies have the fav wrong here. GL :hope

Re: Tennis: Australian Open 2012 Feliciano Lopez vs Flavio Cipolla under 36.5 games :nana Tsurenko vs Hantuchova under 19.5 games :wall Schiavone vs Oprandi under 19.5 games :nana John Isner vs David Nalbandian Isner :nana Lacko vs Young Lacko :nana Karlovic vs Berlocq under 40.5 :wall:wall:wall:wall(killed me 0.5 games, if Karlovic woudn't make that break in 2nd set would have been won) Lu vs Serra Lu -4.5 games (AH) :nana Berdych vs Rochus Rochus +8.5 games (AH) :wall

WTA - Doubles Australian Open e77472b4e181541bda100c3ac2aa1358.gif Grandin N. / V. Uhlirova - Carstea S. / Safarova L. 18.01.12 02:00CET Face to face meeting players Grandin N. / V. Uhlirova vs Carstea S. / Safarova L. - never meet. The 1-st pair is made up of South African Natalie Grandin (24th place in the doubles rankings WTA) and Czech player Uhlirova (23th place in the doubles rankings WTA). Grandin and Uhlirova together in pairs to play for third year and do it pretty well, having achieved little progress in the last season. In less than 3 years this pair played 75 matches: 40 victories and 35 defeats. As for the performances on hard, they played 42 matches (56% of all games): 23 wins and 19 defeats. During career, Grandin and Uhlirova won only one tournament - on the hard in Seoul (KOR, 2011), but lost the finals twice, losing the final of the tournament in the same Seoul in 2010 and at a tournament in Cincinnati (USA, 2011). Last year at the Australian Open the couple has made a very good results, coming out in the 1/4 finals, losing only to a strong pair G. Dulko / F. Pennetta 0:2 (0:6,3:6). On the other Grand Slam tournaments couple does not performance shown. In a word, Grandin N. / V. Uhlirova - a pair, fairly strong and established that at every tournament is considered as one of the favorites to win. Last game Grandin N. / V. Uhlirova: 11.01.12 M. Kirilenko / Petrova N. - N. Grandin / Uhlirova V. 2:1 (6:4, 4:6, 10:6) 10.01.12 Danilidu / T. Tanasugarn - N. Grandin / Uhlirova V. 0:2 (6:7, 2:6) 03.01.12 Grandin N. / V. Uhlirova - Bart E. / Dellaqua 1:2 (1:6, 7:5, 11: 13) 21.10.11 V. King / Shvedova J. - N. Grandin / Uhlirova V. 2:1 (6:4, 2:6, 10:8) 19.10.11 N. Grandin / Uhlirova V. - P. Herzog / Pervak K. 2:1 (4:6, 6:3, 13:11) 2nd pair made of Romanian Sorana Carstea (64th in doubles ranking WTA) and Czech tennis player Lucia Safarova (111th place in the doubles rankings WTA). The pair played together only 7 games: 3 wins and 4 loses, only in 4 tournaments. Let examine one by one: * 1st participation was in 2010, at the US Open (USA), where they first won a pair of mediocre K. Flipkens / J. Woehr 2:1 (6:7,6:0,6:3), and then were defeated by G. Dulko / F. Pennetta 0:2 (0:6,4:6). Last games Carstea S. / L. Safarova: 07.07.11 Carstea S. / L. Safarova - Dolonts V. / A. Tatishvili 0:2 (2:6, 3:6) - a tournament in Bastad (SWE, Clay) 05.07.11 Carstea S. / L. Safarova - A. Amanmuradova / Hlavachkova A. 2:1 (1:6, 6:4, 11:9) - a tournament in Bastad (SWE, Clay) 21.01.11 Black K / AN Rodionov. - Carstea S. / L. Safarova 2:0 (6:4, 7:5) (for Australian Open 2011) 19.01.11 Carstea S. / L. Safarova - Boruell S. / M. Pelletier 2:1 (5:7, 6:2, 6:2) (at the Australian Open in 2011) 14.09.10 Carstea S. / L. Safarova - Gullikson K. / Spears A 0:2 (6:7, 4:6) - a tournament Quebec City (CAN, I_Hard) Of these games can be seen that there is nothing special about Romanian and Czech in the pair. Most likely, Sorana and Safarova game on pair together - to be an opportunity to train, in order to better prepare for the upcoming matches in singles. In addition, Sorana Carstea won today Samantha Stosur's on singles, it will work on her state, as she will get a bit distracted. In this confrontation, I believe there is a clear favorite - a pair made of N. Grandin / Uhlirova V. Pick: N. Grandin / Uhlirova V. 1.68 Bwin Russian Football 2011/12 Thread userbarivanaq.gifKavkaZ, keep an eye on the stats - thread 5f9b429a52720969206b13da2820c4d4.gif
FT: 2:6 6:4 6:4 :ok

Re: Tennis: Australian Open 2012 Some great picks in here for last night / this mornings action. Well done all. Not to bad myself with 4 out of 5 winners

Christina McHale vs Marina Erakovic – McHale -3 games 2.1 at >Bet365 :\ Kim Clijsters vs Stephanie Foretz-Gacon – Foretz Gacon under 4.5 games 2.10 at >Paddy Power :ok Victoria Azarenka vs Casey Dellacqua – Second set under 8.5 games 1.83 at Ladbrokes :ok Rafa Nadal vs Tommy Haas – under 29.5 game 1.83 at Blue Sq :ok Stan Wawrinka vs Marcos Baghdatis - Wawrinka to win 2.20 at bet365 :ok
+ 3 units for the day.