** April Poker League Result : 1st Like2Fish, 2nd McG, 3rd andybell666 **

Tennis - The Australian Open (17-30 January)

• Replies 693
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Tennis - The Australian Open (17-30 January) Gone for six upsets (Dolgopolov, Melzer, Raonic, Cilic, Berdych, Wawrinka) in same stake singles and a £1 six-fold which comes out to a staggering 19,000/1... Good start if Dolgopolov can hold on!

Re: Tennis - The Australian Open (17-30 January) Wow, just woke up to see the Dolgopolov score. This guy is outstanding! My cap is doffed in the direction on overs/Dolgo backers - great shouts chaps. I thought he'd find one too good today, but evidently not. Big thanks to Czech and smeg for the unders bet on Zvonareva. Gather it wasn't as straightforward as the score suggests but it's the result that matters. Helps me recoup my Soda losses :ok

Re: Tennis - The Australian Open (17-30 January)

Wow' date=' just woke up to see the Dolgopolov score. This guy is outstanding! My cap is doffed in the direction on overs/Dolgo backers - great shouts chaps. I thought he'd find one too good today, but evidently not. Big thanks to Czech and smeg for the unders bet on Zvonareva. Gather it wasn't as straightforward as the score suggests but it's the result that matters. Helps me recoup my Soda losses :ok[/quote'] Atko you would be well aware of sodas past (and he has many issues, motivation wise and his headspace was blocking him from being right at the top, (no disrespect to Dolgo because he played super) but today was a step in the wrong direction for him unfortunately and a unwelcoming flashback of the past, thankful had no money either way tho

Re: Tennis - The Australian Open (17-30 January) I honestly thought Robin was over his issues, especially in Australia. I'd seen a different side to him in Brisbane and in Melbourne. I had him going out to Murray in the quarters. He's always had issues when playing Down Under but I felt he'd matured enough to get past this type of opponent. Anyway, that's the way it goes sometimes. I'm a big fan of Dolgopolov so delighted to see him through from a tennis perspective. Murray will do him, however.

I honestly thought Robin was over his issues' date=' especially in Australia. I'd seen a different side to him in Brisbane and in Melbourne. I had him going out to Murray in the quarters. He's always had issues when playing Down Under but I felt he'd matured enough to get past this type of opponent. Anyway, that's the way it goes sometimes. [b']I'm a big fan of Dolgopolov so delighted to see him through from a tennis perspective. Murray will do him, however.
Me too. Since last year ive been saying that he'll be a top 10 player very soon. His mental stability is impressive, and especially the fact that this guy isnt affraid of anything. He plays without fear, and is in great physical shape. Anyway, great day so far in AO, hope Cilic wins too. :hope

Re: Tennis - The Australian Open (17-30 January) Whata boring tennis by Ferrer, no risk at all. Only 1 UE after 1,5 set according to scoreboard's statistics. Hope he'll lose(nave no bet on this match). This Raonic is a huge surprise for me, haven't watched him so far, looks pretty decent for the player of his history.

I honestly thought Robin was over his issues' date=' especially in Australia. I'd seen a different side to him in Brisbane and in Melbourne. I had him going out to Murray in the quarters. He's always had issues when playing Down Under but I felt he'd matured enough to get past this type of opponent. Anyway, that's the way it goes sometimes. I'm a big fan of Dolgopolov so delighted to see him through from a tennis perspective. Murray will do him, however.[/quote'] yea mate i have been a big believer in soda past 4-5 years, thats why i was actually quite upset with how he equipped himself was poor, but again i am a huge fan of dolg and think he has a very very bright future

EventNadal R. (Esp) - Cilic M. (Cro)
SelectionCilic (+2.5) (Asian-handicap)
Strength10/10
Date24/01/2011
Bookmaker/PricePaddy Power @ 5.00
ReasoningCilic won the last encounter between these two with 6-1 6-3 on a hardcourt at Beijing in 2009. Cilic always can be the big surprise with his 6'5 height I rembeber in 2009 he took Murray in 3-sets at Us Open. Nadal didn't do so well here in the years back he was stopped of players like Gonzales, Murray, Tsonga all that in 3 sets easy opponents win. I've watched Nadal in last two matches here, he is far of his fit when he take this one in 2009 3-2 against Federer in the final, his first service was under 55%, too many double faults, he struggle with easy balls against youngster Berdaric. Nadal did too many unforced errors not so much winners and he put the ball back right into his opponent not being aggresive looking for the lines. If Cilic keeps his 70% serving, and put Nadal on a pressure the Spaniard will struggle here and will drop few sets, I don't tell the match but Cilic will take at least one set, on the other hand Nadal will struggle to broke his serving so Cilic +2.5 is a tricky bet here.

10pts (6/10) V.Zvonareva/I.Benesova Under 18.5 games @ 1.87 at Pinnacle :ok:ok 10pts (6/10) P.Kvitova (-2.5) to bt. F.Pennetta @ 1.81 at Pinnacle:ok:ok 10pts (6/10) D.Ferrer (-5.5) to bt. Milos Raonic @ 1.87 at Pinnacle:ok:ok 10pts (6/10) R.Soderling/A.Dolgopolov Over 33.5 games @ 1.90 at Pinnacle:ok:ok 10pts (6/10) J.Melzer/A.Murray Over 34 games @ 1.87 at Pinnacle:@:@
One short of perfect. 4 out of 5 is not bad, even though Soderling outright is not in play anymore (few pts that I will not miss too much.) Hope someone followed and since this made quite a profit, I will take this one with smaller stakes. 3pts (2/10) M.Cilic to bt. R.Nadal @ 7.50 at Pinnacle This is obviously a small punt, but given that Nadal claimed he is still suffering from the virus and that Cilic seems to be getting back into some form, there is a small possibility that Nadal will not be 100% today. And over five sets, that may show. Davydenko beat him in similar conditions and while Cilic may not be that good, he will have one more set to tire Nadal. Tomic has shown the way and Cilic is no mug. The odds are really huge, so even a tiny stake can bring a solid profit. One set will surely be played, if Nadal retires in the end, Pinnacle will pay out. Good luck - it will be needed.

- David Ferrer -5.5 games AH (vs Milos Raonic) @ 1.833 with Pinnacle (6/10) WIN - Robin Soderling -6.5 games AH (vs Alexandr Dolgopolov) @ 1.847 with Pinnacle (6/10) LOSS
Ferrer came through fairly peacefully in the end. Raonic played very well for a set-and-a-half but once Ferrer got a read on his game, the Canadian couldn't change it. Nice tournament from Raonic though, and if he can sort out his backhand and be more choosy on when to approach the net, he'll be a Top 30 player. Didn't see Soderling so can't really comment much more than I have earlier. Well done to those who had Dolgopolov. It was a fantastic result for him. Day ended in profit thanks to the tip by people on here for Zvonareva-Benesova unders, so a big cheers to them :ok

Oh' date=' and excellent work again Czech Punter, that's two days in a row you've smashed the bookie up. Nice work :ok[/quote'] Thanks. And I will have a play on the final match, seems good to me. Maybe I am reaching far too many bets now, but if they are coming in, who cares. Hopefully this one can come in, it looks good to me. 10pts (6/10) E.Makarova/K.Clijsters Under 18.5 games @ 1.83 at Pinnacle Well, Makarova will face a really great opponent for the first time and I think she is a little bit overrated. Petrova was struggling to find form and Ivanovic is hit an miss these days, so I do not think those wins should count for THAT much. Clijsters came through very, very easily and then hit Cornet and struggled a little bit. However, I am sure she will want to put her run back on the track and the only thing she will need to do against Makarova is to cut the number of unforced errors. And a player of her qualities should do just that.

Re: Tennis - The Australian Open (17-30 January) Unbelievable in the Nadal Cilic match. 30-30 at 3-3 in the third, Cilic served, Nadal waited to see if his return was in, once it was called out he challenged the second serve and was out, leading to him breaking. Has to be too late to challenge, guessing if his return was in he wouldn't have bothered.

3 for me tonight, hope a good second week is had by all. Milos Raonic vs David Ferrer- Raonic +6.5 handicap- 8/11 Bet365- (5/10) As much as I hate going against Atko's picks, (it's like walking into the lion's den) I feel that the Canadian can keep this a fairly tight one. Highly doubt he will repeat the success he had against Youzhny but if he serves how he has done thus far, although Ferrer is incredibly fit and returns a great deal of the balls, some of Raonic's service games are simply unreturnable, and even Murray would struggle. He's won seven matches on the trot now, and along with Tomic, they have been the success stories of the tournament so far and all the talk about him just seems to spur him on to a better performance than the last. Ferrer dispatched Berankis in the last round and will know what to expect in this one. Agree with Atko that in the rallies Ferrer will cleverly move the Canadian about and win a great proportion of the points when a rally occurs. However as I've mentioned Raonic's serve will be key in this one. If he keeps it quick throughout, a couple of tie breaks could occur, which would give the handicap a good shot. One last thing, if we look back at last year, the last major name that Raonic played was Nadal when he only lost 6-4 6-4. If this was against the great Spaniard, no reason to suggest that Raonic won't hold his own. Also took sets of the likes of Cuevas, Andreev and Stakhovsky at the back end of last year. If he could pinch a set early on, things may get interesting. Jurgen Melzer vs Andy Murray- Murray -7.5 handicap- Evens Bet365- (5/10) Know a lot of people fancy Melzer to give Murray a match here and to take a set or two, but watching Murray thus far, he has looked very accomplished with some polished performances, showing his determination to try and go one better than last year. Melzer traditionally doesn't have the best times down under and this is his best performance yet. He did well to come back against Baggy in round three, but 44 unforced, 5 double faults and a number of opportunities on his serve suggest that against a top 6 player, the result may have been different. Murray is known for his returning skills and due to that is the kind of player Melzer does struggle against. If there is a only a slight opportunity on serve for Murray, chances are he'll force the errors and take those points more often than not. Murray's won all 4 matches between the two, including 2 grand slam wins, the last coming in Australia a couple of years back where Murray covered the handicap. Decent odds for the Murray handicap and feel he will have his chances to reach it again. In the last 3 meetings, Murray has won at least one set 6-1 or better. Same again and the handicap is well in play. Rafael Nadal vs Marin Cilic- Cilic +7.5 handicap- 5/6 Ladbrokes- (5/10) The handicap is a little lower with a skinnier price so happy to back the Croatian here. As has been mentioned previously in the forum, Nadal looks to be struggling with his virus that hit him a couple of weeks ago in Doha, and we saw there how he was a long way shy of his best. Being bagelled in one set by Lacko then getting beaten by Davydenko, it was horrible to watch if your a Nadal fan. He hasn't been tested thus far which is probably fortunate for the Spaniard as he can get some additional rest. However, Cilic is the kind of player who won't roll over just because it's Rafa. Big serve and powerful strokes will make Rafa run around a bit and not have things all his own way. Cilic served a ton of aces in his epic match against Isner and perhaps was a tad lucky to come through it. Due to this, he won't be completely 100% I can't imagine which Rafa will be glad of. Even when Rafa is firing, he sometime does have a tendancy to struggle against the more powerful players. Mentioned he only beat Raonic 6-4 6-4 last year, but the likes of Kohlscreiber and Karlovic took sets off him this time last year. Cilic is a better player when he's on song than those two and if he serves like he can, he may get some success here. For an ill Rafa, to win by more than 8 games is a tough ask against someone who will get cheap points on his serve. Especially as Tomic was 3-0 up in the third set the other day, shows Nadal can be vulnerable. Cilic incidentally won their only meeting back in 09 in straight sets as well so he will take heart out of that. Would still favour Nadal just because he's Nadal, but shouldn't be a walkover by any means. A set to Cilic could well bring the handicap in.
LOSS WIN LOSS Strange really. Needed both Raonic and Cilic to take the final set they lost to a tie break and both handicaps would have come in. As it was though, Murray looked good which is nice to see. Loss for me today, great shouts again on Dolgopolov by people and Czech with some nice calls as well. :clap

Re: Tennis - The Australian Open (17-30 January) Dolgo-Murray is a tough match to call IMO. Instinctively you think Murray will win as he will be far more consistent and persistant than Soderling and others were against Dolgo, but on the other hand Dolgo is patient as well so Murray won't destablise him too much either, and Dolgo seems to me to be more of a go-getter than Murray in clutch moments. I think it could be close, as long it all doesn't suddenly start to catch up on Dolgo. He's had a tough draining set of matches, and he needs to be mentally fresh for this.

Re: Tennis - The Australian Open (17-30 January) Such a pity Schiavone played a 5 hour match with Kuzzie the other day......I'd be backing her to beat Wozniacki tonight. As it is she could be like Isner at Wimbledon vs Haase(I think it was him anyway) after his marathon with Mahut when he had a big letdown. She is supremely fit though and a huge fighter so who knows.

Dolgo-Murray is a tough match to call IMO. Instinctively you think Murray will win as he will be far more consistent and persistant than Soderling and others were against Dolgo, but on the other hand Dolgo is patient as well so Murray won't destablise him too much either, and Dolgo seems to me to be more of a go-getter than Murray in clutch moments. I think it could be close, as long it all doesn't suddenly start to catch up on Dolgo. He's had a tough draining set of matches, and he needs to be mentally fresh for this.
It's gonna be really tough for Dolgopolov to get anything from this match. So far he played players that are better known for their hitting and power than defensive skills in which Murray is surely one of the best in tour. Dolgopolov is hitting the balls very hard, he's not changing his approach and Murray will surely ran and try to get as many balls possible back in play. Murray was often playing to defensively, but that is not the case in this years Melbourne as he is hitting the ball pretty hard. In my opinion Murray will destroy Dolgopolov as he is also fresher, because he's played very short matches opposing to Dolgopolov. Ukrainian is new going so long in the Grand Slam, so there are many points that go Murrays way. I like the way Dolgopolov plays and he will surely make sure his name will be heard a lot in the future.

Such a pity Schiavone played a 5 hour match with Kuzzie the other day......I'd be backing her to beat Wozniacki tonight. As it is she could be like Isner at Wimbledon vs Haase(I think it was him anyway) after his marathon with Mahut when he had a big letdown. She is supremely fit though and a huge fighter so who knows.
Pretty sure it was De Bakker. And Isner could not move at all, I can still remember that. Meanwhile, Clijsters does not care about winning easily, so the unders do not work out.

Unbelievable in the Nadal Cilic match. 30-30 at 3-3 in the third' date=' Cilic served, Nadal waited to see if his return was in, once it was called out he challenged the second serve and was out, leading to him breaking. Has to be too late to challenge, guessing if his return was in he wouldn't have bothered.[/quote'] Yeah, Nadal was playing alot today with the hawk-eye. In the first at his serve he was somthing like 30-30, painted a line during a rally and Marin returned it crosscourt back - Nadal had no chance, but before the ball hit the court, there was late OUT call for the Nadal's previous shot. Nadal challenged and hawk eye did show that in fact Nadal's shot was OK, but the serve must have been repeated, and the game went to gamepoint instead of breakpoint. And Nadal has won it in the end.

Such a pity Schiavone played a 5 hour match with Kuzzie the other day......I'd be backing her to beat Wozniacki tonight. As it is she could be like Isner at Wimbledon vs Haase(I think it was him anyway) after his marathon with Mahut when he had a big letdown. She is supremely fit though and a huge fighter so who knows.
Schiavone's handicap is currently available at +6 @ 2.1 on pinnacle... I'm lumping on that! She has had a days rest, plus as mentioned before Wozniacki looks average atm..

Re: Tennis - The Australian Open (17-30 January) Wawrinka +5 @ 2.06 188bet Perfect start of the year for Wawrinka, after winning the title in Chennai he reached the quarter finals in Melbourne without dropping a set so far. And he played Gabashvili, Dimitrov, Monfils and Roddick, very tough draw you have to admitt. He surprised me against Arod, played very stabile, without blackout or too many UE's on important points. His game looked very intelligent and very clever, so Roddick had no chance. It seems like Wawa put his mental issues behind and looks very stabile right now.His compatriot Fedrer is the main favourite for the title here and i believe he'll make it. Still, he did struggled in some moments, especially against Simon where he had to stay for five sets on the court. Dropped a set against Robredo who is after all a solid but limited player. Wawa with the way he played so far will hardly get trashed by Federer. I even think there is some sense of backing him at 4.65 with lower stake but i will take this one cause this Wawrinka doesnt look like the old one who oftenly fell apart when things go bad. I also expect him to steal one set at least what should be enough for covering this handicap. GL