** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

Tennis - The Australian Open (17-30 January)

• Replies 693
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Tennis - The Australian Open (17-30 January)

Murray Dolgopolov UNDER 34 games AH @ 1.813 (Pinnacle:5pts)
LOSS....poor one for me last night...2/2 losses. Dolgo played another good match....I suppose it was a dangerous bet when they've never played before. Ferrer a set up vs Nadal right now......:eek......some draw for Murray if Ferrer wins.

LOSS....poor one for me last night...2/2 losses. Dolgo played another good match....I suppose it was a dangerous bet when they've never played before. Ferrer a set up vs Nadal right now......:eek......some draw for Murray if Ferrer wins.
Ya my murray win is starting to look alot more appealing:) however the way ferrer has been playing wont be so straight forward, although i doubt whether he can sustain it, i think nadals injury is over exaggerated and ferrers quality of play has simply been awesome heres hoping it can continue mate:ok

Re: Tennis - The Australian Open (17-30 January) This Nadal- Ferrer match is a bookies' nightmare in live betting :-) The oddes are unbelievably switching from initial around 7.0 for Ferrer to about 3.0 for Nadal, and back, and forth, and back,..... already made some small fortune :D

This Nadal- Ferrer match is a bookies' nightmare in live betting :-) The oddes are unbelievably switching from initial around 7.0 for Ferrer to about 3.0 for Nadal' date=' and back, and forth, and back,..... already made some small fortune :D[/quote'] have noticed that its nice isnt it :D

Re: Tennis - The Australian Open (17-30 January) It will be interesting to see whether with Nadal two sets down, there still will be any jerks willing to put money on a big name with great value around 5.0 ;) edit: Injured Nadal two sets and a break down, still Ferrer at 1.05 at my local bookie. Unbelievable. edit2: RIP Rafa. With Ferrer serving for the match the bookies finally realized, that Ferrer should be at 1.0. Sigh :-)

- Under 33.5 games (Andy Murray vs Alexandr Dolgopolov) @ 1.98 with Pinnacle (6/10) LOSS - Rafael Nadal -6.5 games AH (vs David Ferrer) @ 1.877 with Pinnacle (6/10) LOSS
Bookie got a bit of revenge today. Murray was a break up in the third set but Dolgo did really well to fight back. Murray just goes through those wee phases in matches when he's cruising, kind of like Monfils in a way. Nadal ... well, not sure what to think. Any other man would have retired but he kept going. Fair play. Day to forget.

Re: Tennis - The Australian Open (17-30 January) I never understand why he continued here or, for that matter, against Davydenko. Surely, if you are suffering BOTH from and illness and an injury, the only rational choice is to retire. We may remember him as a fighter, but also as a player that will surely have a shorter career than Federer. He should actually CARE about his body and know when to stop.

I never understand why he continued here or' date=' for that matter, against Davydenko. Surely, if you are suffering BOTH from and illness and an injury, the only rational choice is to retire. We may remember him as a fighter, but also as a player that will surely have a shorter career than Federer. He should actually CARE about his body and know when to stop.[/quote'] Couldn't agree more. However, it's in his make-up; it's just the way it is. He wouldn't have wanted to let go of his dream of all four slams.

Re: Tennis - The Australian Open (17-30 January) Ok then, what do you guys think of Clijsters-Zvonareva? I am tired of backing the underdogs, but I think Zvonareva has a decent shot at this, Clijsters did not look good in her last two matches. Far too many errors and Zvonareva is a level above Radwanska/Makarova. She is the best player when in form though, so I am a little bit worried about that. However, Zvonareva does not have a bad record against her lately. Last year, 3-1.

Re: Tennis - The Australian Open (17-30 January) A quick hello to the tennis fans, I'm new here and posted a quick question in the "say hi" thread but I should've guessed most of you don't spend much time there - I'm new to betting forums and I've had a quick glimpse at some other ones and I'd just like to know how you think PL compares from a tennis punter's perspective? Unbiased opinions would be great! (Sorry to interrupt the tennis talk, I hope to join in at some point.)

A quick hello to the tennis fans' date=' I'm new here and posted a quick question in the "say hi" thread but I should've guessed most of you don't spend much time there - I'm new to betting forums and I've had a quick glimpse at some other ones and I'd just like to know how you think PL compares from a tennis punter's perspective? Unbiased opinions would be great! (Sorry to interrupt the tennis talk, I hope to join in at some point.)[/quote'] Welcome. PL is better than most(all?) because there's reasoning posted with picks. I was on MensTennisForum a while back and it's just a bunch of people listing players they think will win and then wishing death on them when they lose......:eek..there were a few knowledgeable punters on there however but discussion isnt promoted from what I can see.The rest of the site(gamblers section aside) is good though and has alot of info on players/matches/injuries etc. There's another good site but I cant remember the name....only problem on there is lack of traffic. Might not be a post for a day. Any reason why you ask? Thinking of jumping ship already?....:tongue2

Welcome. PL is better than most(all?) because there's reasoning posted with picks. I was on MensTennisForum a while back and it's just a bunch of people listing players they think will win and then wishing death on them when they lose......:eek..there were a few knowledgeable punters on there however but discussion isnt promoted from what I can see.The rest of the site(gamblers section aside) is good though and has alot of info on players/matches/injuries etc. There's another good site but I cant remember the name....only problem on there is lack of traffic. Might not be a post for a day. Any reason why you ask? Thinking of jumping ship already?....:tongue2
Thanks for the welcome and response Gooner. I just want to make sure this is the ship to be on, there's no point in taking second best after all. I decided to give PL a go because it appears to have the largest tennis punting population (can anyone second this?). Perhaps the most popular alternative is OLBG, I've been taking a look and there's plenty of discussion at the moment with the slam - is this the one you were thinking of? As much as I respect loyalty here I was wondering whether anyone was willing to point out anything I've missed. No offense intended to PL veterans :ok

Re: Tennis - The Australian Open (17-30 January) Tough luck for those who took Nadal before the match. Pretty obvious even before the end of the first set that he was not going to get anything from the match, but just didn't want to retire the disappointment was in his face clearly during some of the changeovers.

Re: Tennis - The Australian Open (17-30 January) Jumping on this one early. Can only see the odds falling. David Ferrer vs Andy Murray- Murray -5.5 handicap- 4/5 Bet365- (7/10) Really think this is Andy's big chance now. He couldn't have asked for a better draw throughout really and with Ferrer beating Nadal, he will be licking his lips at a back to back AO final. Watched the first set against Dolgopolov and he looked okay but understand he went missing for parts of the match after that. Can't see him doing that against a more accomplished player like Ferrer in the semis of a grand slam. Murray was superb the match before against Melzer, breaking him at ease. Only worry is his first serve percentage is on the low side and with Ferrer's capability of returning most balls, he'll have to up this. With regards to Ferrer, watched him against Raonic where in the first set he was poor. Raonic was just relying on his serve and in the rallies, all the Spaniard had to so was play to the Canadian's backhand and more often than not he would make an error. Somehow though he managed to lose the first set, and then gave Raonic chances on his serve in the fourth set. If he gives these opportunities to the Scot, he won't make an unforced error. Have to concede I didn't catch any of his win against Nadal but from what I've read on the forum, Nadal wasn't anywhere near his best. Well regardless, the bookies have massively overrated Ferrer's chances here against a motivated Murray who's won both meetings on a hard surface, all be it one was indoor at the world championships last year. A break each set, maybe a 6-2 in one, with Murray serving a touch better than he has done, the handicap should be fine here.

Re: Tennis - The Australian Open (17-30 January) Challenger Heilbronn Bastian Knittel v Andreas Beck Knittel 2-0 4.00 b365 Since I rate this as hard to predict I think it's not worth taking Knittel to only win so I go for setbet with small stake. Knittel beat last years finalist in Heilbronn Golubev yesterday and never faced a breakpoint. He had a high percentage of first serve points won. Higher then his opponent Beck had in his match against Kravchuk. Kravchuk had 10 break point opportunities against Beck and only converted one where Golubev had none against Knittel. I think Knittel is the better player now.

Re: Tennis - The Australian Open (17-30 January) Clijsters vs Zvonareva: Over 21.5 games @Pinnacle 1.901 (2 units) Clijsters/Cornet: 22, Clijsters/Makarova: 21, Clijstrers/Radwanska: 22 Zvonareve should be tougher opponent than any of these, and I cannot see Zvonareva to beat Clijsters easily (though Zvonareva won their last meeting in Doha Masters 64 75). Probably three setter. Djokovic vs Federer: Djokovic @Pinnacle 3.04 (1 unit) Federer showing signs of fading form with a set dropped to Robredo where he made 40 unforced errors. It sems to me that more often than usual he mishits the balls wide out and shows signs of being nervous. He rolled over Wawrinka in the last match, but Stan was totally without juice and essentially gave the match to his compatriot. On the other hand, Djoko is a man on the mission. He did beat Roger on the two last Grand Slams they met (OK, before that, Australian Open 2007 it was Roged that did beat Djoko), and now after Rafa is out he feels the chance to win AO the second time since 2008. Motivation is high, and skills are present. I simply trust Djoko more. Only if he could buy contact lenses that fit him better ... GL :hope

Re: Tennis - The Australian Open (17-30 January) Sport Tennis Event Wozniacki v Li Selection Li Strength 10/10 Date 27/01/2011 Bookmaker/Price Ladbrokes @ 1.72 Reasoning This is Li's chance to win a slam. She's in top form and knocking off good opponents without problems. She's unbeaten this year and playing great tennis. Wozniacki has an injury concern and I think playing average. Li beat her in this tournament last year and can do the same thing here. Sport Tennis Event Clijsters v Zvonareva Selection Zvonareva Strength 10/10 Date 27/01/2011 Bookmaker/Price Boylesports @ 2.40 Reasoning Clijsters looked quite bad the past few matches, and is not in top form. She has an injury concern with big strapping yesterday and I think will struggle here. Zvonareva has come through nicely and is learning about playing deep in grand slams. She had good success against Clijsters last year and I think will win today. Sport Tennis Event Bhuparti/Paes v Nestor/Mirnyi Selection Bhuparti/Paes Strength 10/10 Date 27/01/2011 Bookmaker/Price Paddy Power @ 2.00 Reasoning Bhuparti/Paes got back together with a mission to win this tournament as it's the only one they haven't won. They got an excellent win over Zimonjic/Llodra yesterday and I can't see them stopping here. I'm not a fan of Nestor or Mirnyi for that matter, and I think the Indian duo will be too smart for the net rushing opponents. Sport Tennis Event Federer v Djokovic Selection Djokovic +3.5 games Strength 10/10 Date 27/01/2011 Bookmaker/Price Coral @ 2.05 Reasoning Should be excellent match, and I think Djokovic can take it, but handicap looks good. Federer had troubles early on but better against Wawrinka who didn't play well. Djokovic has looked good so far showing near to top form. Night match I think helps Djokovic quite a bit - he is excellent under lights. Should be a good match, possibly a long one, and good chance for the handicap to come in.