** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

Tennis - The Australian Open (17-30 January)

• Replies 693
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Tennis - The Australian Open (17-30 January)

- Novak Djokovic -4.5 games AH (vs Tomas Berdych) @ 1.885 with Pinnacle (7/10) WIN
Never really in any doubt. Djokovic is just a class above Berdych when he plays at his best. Tomas did well to make a fist of it in the second, but he always looked like falling short. Djokovic vs Federer next - how mouthwatering is that :D

Why would you want Woz to win..........;) Disgusting player with no weapons.
She's got a weapon alright, she's got that 'x' factor. Sure I can provide the weapons for her. ;). Anyways she owes me a favour or two for not getting to the final in the US when I had her e/w. Time to pay back Caroline.

Can you guys just give me a bit of faith and confidence by resolutely saying Li won't win ;)
Sure. Li won't win (four Grand Slams in a row). I am pretty sure of that. :tongue2 IAG - Who will though? Nadal seems not to be at his best, Federer is struggling. It really seems like this may be Murray's best chance to win the Grand Slam - he has spent almost no time on court. But you have to fear that he will not be able to pass the final hurdle again. And he has not been tested yet. Today may be another easy win, but I think Dolgopolov has a weapon to hit Murray with, but it is a long shot. He can hit the ball pretty early, which Murray will not like that much. If he can mix it up with some of his crazy skills, he may win a set. And after that, who knows. It is a long shot for him and I would not put any money on that, but nobody gave him a chance against Soderling and what happened. I would give him at least 15% :tongue2

Re: Tennis - The Australian Open (17-30 January) Is Kvitova worth a punt at about 2.80? Both are in great form and 1-1 H2H record suggests this may be close. Last match won by Kvitova on clay (last year), 6-4 6-0, which is impressive. If she gets into rhythm, she can hit past her. Definitely no value in Zvonareva outright.

Re: Tennis - The Australian Open (17-30 January) Considering Kvitova beats Zvonareva, what would probably be the odds for Kvitova vs Clijsters and if she beats Clijsters, then Kvitova vs Lin-Na (or WOZ?) I managed to get Kvitova to win AO before the start of the tournament at odds 64, and now I am trying to design a solding-out strategy. Already hedged her against Zvonareva, but I hope I did not start too early...

Re: Tennis - The Australian Open (17-30 January) Federer vs Djokovic OVER 38.5 games @ 1.952 (Pinnacle:5pts) Can see a 4 or 5 setter here and as long as a couple of sets are tight this can cover the line. Djokovic looks really good atm bar a dip against Dodig in round 2 he's crushed his opponents. Fed likewise has had some really impressive games and some dips but that can be good for him. Can see a few momentum shifts in this one, hopefully goes the distance. Djokovic to beat Federer @ 3.030 (Pinnacle:2pts) Just a small stake here as the odds look a bit off. If Federer is at his best then he's clear fave but its rarely plain sailing with him these days. I'd have Fed closer to 1.6-1.70. Djokovic is playing some great stuff atm...even his usual weak points like serve seem to be working well. Worth a go at these odds for small stake IMO.

Re: Tennis - The Australian Open (17-30 January) Li-Na to beat Wozniacki @Pinnacle 1.699 had to take that one early, because the price is steadily dropping. This is another of my Woz fading picks that I apply throughout this tournament, and all worked except King +6.5 in round 2. I think that when Cibulkova is able to beat Woz, Li-Na has even much better chance. Murray to beat Dolgopolov 3-0 @Pinnacle 1,813 Dolgo had some good run here, but he is no X-man to sustain three consecutive extremely hard matches. We have seen what happened to Wawrinka after beating Roddick, and I expect the same will happen today to Oleksandr. Dolgo had a nice run and perhaps he can make one or two close sets, but eventually he will not be able to take one from Andy. And if he will take one - then be it. The last time Andy dropped a set to someone outside the top 40 was in Cinci last year (to Jeremy Chardy), and it will be worth the price to see his face if this happens to him again today :-)

Jesus yeah forgot about that........:eek Really tough one for her tonight though.
tonight is my grand slam final really. i've decided not to bother backing zvonareva as a saver tonight...i don't want to eat into my potential profits soo much.And anyway, i think she has a chance. I feel like considering i backed her at 350-1 before the draw came out i got very unlucky...because the two players i wanted to avoid on kvitova's side of the draw were clijsters and zvonareva...plus she had to play stosur in the third round. i backed clijsters outright as my saver ...but i've decided to take the chance on her beating zvonareva....maybe if zvonareva was a better price than 1-2 i'd back her...but i'd need to put on a big bet there....i don't really see the value as i feel like i'm frteerolling on kvitova a bit. you would have to say that zvonareva is the claasier player and the more likely winner... but petra has a chance. zvonareva is a player that needs rhythm and likes to get into her groove...but petra is so aggressive...powerful...unafraid to follow up her approach shots and booming groundstrokes at the net...and also quite error prone...too aggressive at times and i think all these traits might frustrate zvonareva a little bit. plus kvitova has a huge outswinging lefty serve..it's a real weapon ...especially against a player like zvonareva who is quite snall...and doesn't have great reach on her two-handed backhand. plus, vera as we know, despite making somewhat of a mental breakthrough last year, is no stranger to nerves and bottling it at times. the pressure is certainly on her and as slider25 has already pointed out...petra looks to be a woman for the big occasion and has no fear. my only reservation is that once the pair start getting into long exchanges ...zvonareva will be too crafty...as kvitova's movement is certainly the weakest element of her game...and this is what worries me most...but havin said that i think she has a chance. so having said this, would it be fair to assume that if kvitova beats zvonareva,possible, and then she beats clijsters, unlikely but still, surely she would be favourite in the final against either li na or wozniacki.....

Can you guys just give me a bit of faith and confidence by resolutely saying Li won't win ;)
Come on Fishy25 surely you would not begrudge a fellow punterslounge mate winning a few quid - I think Li still has a good chance and now trading at just over 4's on Betfair I can lock in a profit of a def £100 but will let my bet ride and hope she makes the final as I have layed my stake back so basically a free bet I reckon its 60/40 in Li's favour for her semi with Wozza - and just noticed Li is yet to drop a set - fingers crossed for Li but if Kim Clisters gets beat then Li will be Fav and I will look to lay of as reckon odds for Li will drop to below 2/1 then and can lock in over £200 profit. Fingers crossed eh!!!

Re: Tennis - The Australian Open (17-30 January) Good luck Smeg...hope she comes through.......:hope...I'm taking the overs in that one. Kvitova vs Zvonareva OVER 21 AH games @ 1.943 (Pinnacle:4pts) A push if it ends on 21 games and I cant see either player coming through comfortably in this one. Ball basher Kvitova in some of the best form of her life.....against a player like Zvonareva I can see her having periods of inconsistency which makes me want to take this bet....Zvonareva has been fairly passive when I've watched her so far so if Kvitova hits a purple patch she can make this match competitive and take the game to Vera. But Zvonareva's defence is also superb so I can see her running down alot of balls and forcing some errors. Should be a very interesting watch if Kvitova brings her good game. Think the line is fair here and will play it. GL!

Come on Fishy25 surely you would not begrudge a fellow punterslounge mate winning a few quid - I think Li still has a good chance and now trading at just over 4's on Betfair I can lock in a profit of a def £100 but will let my bet ride and hope she makes the final as I have layed my stake back so basically a free bet I reckon its 60/40 in Li's favour for her semi with Wozza - and just noticed Li is yet to drop a set - fingers crossed for Li but if Kim Clisters gets beat then Li will be Fav and I will look to lay of as reckon odds for Li will drop to below 2/1 then and can lock in over £200 profit. Fingers crossed eh!!!
Well that's true mate. Hope she does come through purely because you backed her at those odds but your guaranteed a profit no matter the outcome now. It's just bitterness on my part really that I didn't take her.

Well that's true mate. Hope she does come through purely because you backed her at those odds but your guaranteed a profit no matter the outcome now. It's just bitterness on my part really that I didn't take her.
Only layed my stake back so have not locked in a profit - would def lay a 350/1 off though if it was me.

Re: Tennis - The Australian Open (17-30 January) Sport Tennis Event Zvonareva v Kvitova Selection Kvitova Strength 10/10 Date 26/01/2011 Bookmaker/Price Pinnacle Sports @ 2.88 Reasoning Time to fear nothing, and take chances. Kvitova has a very big game and is playing great. She will try to hit Zvonareva off the court and has the weapons to do it. Zvonareva looking is in good form and is a top player. Tough call I expect, and the price is pretty nice on Kvitova.

Sport Tennis
Event Vera Zvonareva vs. Petra Kvitova
Selection Zvonareva (-4) GH (Asian-handicap)
Strength 10/10
Date 26/01/2011
Bookmaker/Price Pinnacle Sports @ 2.43
Reasoning A very interesting game between two great players: Vera Zvonareva and Petra Kvitova. First of all I would like to mentionate the great results from Kvitova's side as she defeated many great players. Petra Kvitova started since the last season to show signs of a great tennis and here we are with the chance to enjoy her real level. Kvitova is a left-handed player who possess a nice forehand and also she can play stable from the defence point of view, she can dominate her opponents from the baseline. Today against Zvonareva should be a different game from her previous as Vera is the type of player that attack first and certain that I thing that she will try against Kvitova. Vera possess all the qualties to dominate the rallies against Kvitova and IMO the game will be in her hands, it will all depend on how well and stable she will play. All in all, Zvonareva possess more experience thna Kvitova and also better qualities, so IMO she should be the clear favourite for this one. Good Luck!

Good luck Smeg...hope she comes through.......:hope...I'm taking the overs in that one. Kvitova vs Zvonareva OVER 21 AH games @ 1.943 (Pinnacle:4pts) A push if it ends on 21 games and I cant see either player coming through comfortably in this one. Ball basher Kvitova in some of the best form of her life.....against a player like Zvonareva I can see her having periods of inconsistency which makes me want to take this bet....Zvonareva has been fairly passive when I've watched her so far so if Kvitova hits a purple patch she can make this match competitive and take the game to Vera. But Zvonareva's defence is also superb so I can see her running down alot of balls and forcing some errors. Should be a very interesting watch if Kvitova brings her good game. Think the line is fair here and will play it. GL!
I play that and also Rafa over 34,5 in double,at my local bookie, line on Kvitova is 20,5.

EventNadal R. (Esp) - Ferrer D. (Esp)
SelectionNadal (-7.5) games handicap
Strength10/10
Date26/01/2011
Bookmaker/PricePinnacle Sports @ 2.44
ReasoningNadal won all his matches with more than 8 games spread, he played with Berdaric, Cilic, but nothing can stop him, he even didn't loose a set here. Ferrer most prefer court is a clay, he didn't play top 10 player here, but he struggle in many sets, his quarter-final here is great success about him. Nadal produced so many break points against Cilic, and he scored more of them, if he take opening two sets Ferrer will give up so we can see a set like 6-2, 6-1 for Nadal. Rafa won last seven matches between all that without loosing a set on a hard court, he got some loss agasinst Ferrer but that was five six years ago and Ferrer can't stop him making another semifinal here.

Point construction is not one of Kvitova's best qualities. Sometimes beating the crap out of the ball is not the answer. Kvitova vs Zvonareva OVER 21 AH games @ 1.943 (Pinnacle:4pts) LOSS.
Yeah didn't really have it in her today unfortunately mate.

Sport Tennis
Event Rafa nadal vs. David Ferrer
Selection Rafa (-7.5) GH (Asian-handicap)
Strength 10/10
Date 26/01/2011
Bookmaker/Price Pinnacle Sports @ 2.44
Reasoning Well, here comes and the game between two spaniards, two real fighters which should surely offer us some great quality tennis. David Ferrer comes after a great run as he still didn't lost at least one game in the new 2011 season. David Ferrer has won Auckland before the Australan Open, so having a great record so far obviously that the bookies will offer different odds on his side. It is very clear why in Rafa's game against David Ferrer the bookies offer this line game handicap, Ferrer did looked so well indeed. I can not draw attention to Ferrer's great results from this season, but I also can't let in the shadow the essential things, the most important ones IMO which is all connected with Rafa Nadal. Well, Rafa has been very impressive as Ferrer here at AO, so from the form point of view there is no advnatge for anyone here, from the class point of view Rafa is surely better than Ferrer but I think that this line game handicap represents the real difference between these two plyaers, but if to take a look to the style aspect then the situation changes the most meaningful, I think certain the style of playing makes all the values here as David Ferrer is playing a deffensive tennis as Rafa and in a logical way David can't surprise Rafa, he do not possess a powerful serve or forehand, he is a great defender but only being a defender it is just too predictable to win against Nadal. Ferrer can make it longer but not visible effective as he do not possess the right qualities to beat such a amazing defence like Rafa's ones. All in all, this game should be a fight between to great defenders where the best one should have the word everytime. Good Luck!