** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

Darts: Grand Slam of Darts 2010

kevshat

Re: Darts: Grand Slam of Darts 2010 Having got that one in eventually I'll take one more this afternoon. 3pts T.Hankey to beat W.Newton 13/8 Betfred I've got to have a play at Hankey at this price. Of course we've got the crowd factor to worry about but I'm hoping that the fact this match is fairly early in the afternoon that the crowd aren't beer fuelled that much that Hankey doesn't cop a load of it. If he doesn't react to the crowd then I think he's got a good chance in this match. His stock in terms of BDO ranking has fallen but he's a better player than that and comes into this event having won the British Open and reached the QF's of the Winmau World Masters so he's playing ok darts at the minute. Of course Wes is in the form of his life having won 3 events last weekend but that was on the floor. He still hasn't ever really convinced on the stage and that will give Hankey hope. When he's on form, Hankey is arguably the heaviest scorer in the game of darts. With Wes yet to really show us his A game on TV I'll take Hankey at what will be a big price if the real Ted Hankey shows up.

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Darts: Grand Slam of Darts 2010 And another. 3pts R.Barneveld to beat T.Wright 5-0 11/10 William Hill I've got to take the above evens on Barney to win this to nil here. Tricia Wright was only runner up in the Womens World Championship and that form wasn't franked last night by Bromberg who although won a leg against King didn't play well. Tricia isn't playing King here she's playing a very heavy scorer in Barneveld who should have too much class for a plucky opponent even given the added pressure that will be on him. I'd be surprised if Barney doesn't average in the mid 90's here and if he does do that he should have more than enough for Wright who will average somewhere around the 75-80 mark. Leg difference could yet be important in this group with Fitton and Lloyd both being dangerous opponents so I'll take Barney to be ruthless and win this 5-0.

Re: Darts: Grand Slam of Darts 2010

And another. 3pts R.Barneveld to beat T.Wright 5-0 11/10 William Hill I've got to take the above evens on Barney to win this to nil here. Tricia Wright was only runner up in the Womens World Championship and that form wasn't franked last night by Bromberg who although won a leg against King didn't play well. Tricia isn't playing King here she's playing a very heavy scorer in Barneveld who should have too much class for a plucky opponent even given the added pressure that will be on him. I'd be surprised if Barney doesn't average in the mid 90's here and if he does do that he should have more than enough for Wright who will average somewhere around the 75-80 mark. Leg difference could yet be important in this group with Fitton and Lloyd both being dangerous opponents so I'll take Barney to be ruthless and win this 5-0.
In to 5/6 already!

Re: Darts: Grand Slam of Darts 2010 hi there folks the old master is back and hoping to continue my good year up to now, just want to start by saying i have had a bite of Webby as Kev suggested real value i think. and also took Nicholson outright too anyway to onights games. JUSTIN PIPE 15/8 V VINCENT V DER VOORT this is a real contrast a fast player against a painfully slow playes maybe the fastest and slowest in the game, and you always have to fancy the tortoise i these encounters we know what we will get from Vinny, inconsistency when he is on form he is a joy to watch strong on all aspects of the game but he can come undone whenn slowed up and Pipe won't do it on purpose it's jus the way he plays the game. Pipe has made steady progress this year and i have heard some say that his practice form is astounding, well i'm having him to beat VDV here at tasty odds. THORNTON 6/4 V CHISNALL, taking Bob here he has been getting near to his best of late and against Osborne he was finishing superbly really strong finisher and hits 140s like he's John Lowe, yeah he's up against the BDO runner up but Chissy has already conjourned up a win over Whitlock and may still be coming down from that he is'nt used to this noise, a packed venue and the professional set up that the PDC boys enjoy and i think Bob could be a real threat here if he is at his best . O' SHEA 6/4 V WADE. regulars know that i hate Wade more than that Katie bint off xfactor, and savour every beating that he gets, well i can see him taking a beating from the sliverback tonight, Tony is a quality player too good for the BDO ranks and he has the quality to trouble any of the professionals Tony is consistently good, and was very impressive last night he would be my tip to progress the furthest of all the BDO players, up against Wade who won at the WGP and is back to no2 in rankings he has a poor record here and i think that O'Shea is too long odds for a win. WAYNE JONES 11/8 V GARY ANDERSON Woody is arguably player of the year for 2010 for many years he has failed to bring his excellent floor game to the stage and TV cameras but now he has broken into the top 16 reached a televised final, and is now a potent threat at ALL PDC majors he still has that flaw in his technique of moving on his third dart but he has improved immensely despite that and indeed his 180s scoring has come on leaps and bounds in the second half of 2010. yeah we all know Anderson is class indeed on his day only Lewis comes close to matching him for scoring, but still gary has the questions over his finishes. even if he could walk up and put the dart in the board by hand i would still worry about him hitting the double! this could be a belter but i'll go for Woodys home crowd to cheer him to victory in this one.

Re: Darts: Grand Slam of Darts 2010 Really pleasing afternoon for me. Hoping for more of the same this evening. 3 for tonight. 3pts D.Chisnall vs R.Thornton - Over 3.5 180's 11/10 Paddy Power This is a lovely price given that one of Paddy Power's rivals are only Evs on over 4.5. As with most former BDO players or current in Chisnall's case, they both hit the T20 well. Between them last night they hit 7 180's in 13 legs which is a decent ratio. I see no reason why this won't be high scoring either given that both know they can still qualify even with a defeat. Chisnall is a serial 180 hitter. We saw that at the Lakeside and 4 last night were no fluke. Thornton too when he's on his game bangs in the maximums so I would expect a few tonight. The match is on at a nice time too with plenty of preparation time for both players. This should be a good match. Both appear to be playing well so I'll take the over 3.5 here. 3pts T.O'Shea to beat J.Wade 13/8 Skybet I think Silverback's a fair price here. I like Wade but I'm totally convinced that these short sprints aren't really his thing, unlike BDO players who play best of 5 leg matches often in county darts. O'Shea played well last night and scored heavily. An average of over 100, even over a short period of 6 legs is still nothing to take lightly. Wade wasn't at his best last night as only one score of 140 or more shows. He'll be better tonight and he'll have to be but I still think O'Shea will give him a game. O'Shea's a heavy scorer but as with all BDO players this will revolve around whether he hits doubles. If he does he'll go very close to beating the WGP champion. 3pts T.Jenkins to beat M.King 5/4 William Hill I like Terry Jenkins here. King's been in awful form for a while and I saw nothing last night to suggest that's about to change, even taking into account the fact he had the added pressure of playing a woman. Jenkins had a dangerous opponent last night but saw him off in fine style and was impressive along the way. As I've mentioned in my outright bet, this is a stage The Bull loves playing on and I really do think he's big here. I've covered Jenkins in the outright write up but King has shown no form for a while. Even if he was in form I wouldn't make Jenkins much more than Evs for this but as he's out of form I've got to take Jenkins at a very attractive 5/4 to see off King.

Re: Darts: Grand Slam of Darts 2010 Last 4 games tonight seem really close between quality players. With such a short format, don't have any problem backing all the dogs. Sport Darts Event Chisnall v Thornton Selection Thornton Strength 10/10 Date 14/11/2010 Bookmaker/Price Sportingbet @ 2.60 Reasoning Very good win from Chisnall last night, but looks instantly over rated because of that. Whitlock was very poor, simply didn't show up. Thorton looked good in the early game and has a lot more experience in bigger events and can play to a high level. Looks a close game and happy with the price. Sport Darts Event Wade v O'Shea Selection O'Shea Strength 10/10 Date 14/11/2010 Bookmaker/Price William Hill @ 2.62 Reasoning Wade is a tough player, but I'll look to go against him with O'Shea tonight. O'Shea probably most impressive player yesterday averaging over 102 in a nice 5-1 win over van der Voort. He seems really comfortable in this event and on this stage and can give Wade problems tonight. Wade got a nice win over a new guy 5-2, comfortable enough but if anything his scoring wasn't great, only 1 140+ and no 180's. Should score better tonight but O'Shea at this price seems worth a chance. Sport Darts Event King v Jenkins Selection Jenkins Strength 10/10 Date 14/11/2010 Bookmaker/Price Betfred @ 2.25 Reasoning Last few times I've seen King on TV he hasn't been anywhere near his 'A game' and I see him struggling here against Jenkins who is very tough. King beat the women yesterday 5-1, all you can say about that is he was quite poor to lose a leg. Jenkins beat Henderson 5-2 looking fairly good, expect both to play much better tonight. Happy to back the underdog here. Sport Darts Event Anderson v Jones Selection Jones Strength 10/10 Date 14/11/2010 Bookmaker/Price Stan James @ 2.37 Reasoning Jones seems in good form from what I've seen of him recently. Playing in home city he was good yesterday, solid scoring and a couple of 100+ finishes giving a 5-2 over Webster which is a good win. Anderson beat a new guy 5-0 and is a quality player, this game should be close. Jones is a good fighter, and on the last match of the night expect the crowd to be really going for him. Just like the other matches, seems a close one and I'm happy to back the outsider.

Re: Darts: Grand Slam of Darts 2010 I'm not criticising any selections here, just wondering if I'm missing a trick? What has Thornton done since losing in the Players final 20 odd months ago? Their seems to be a bit of support for a player I always thought dropped his head as soon as he was behind? As I say, I'm not doubting anyone, it's more of a case of being brought up to speed perhaps because I'd be backing Chisnall all day?

I'm not criticising any selections here' date=' just wondering if I'm missing a trick? What has Thornton done since losing in the Players final 20 odd months ago? Their seems to be a bit of support for a player I always thought dropped his head as soon as he was behind? As I say, I'm not doubting anyone, it's more of a case of being brought up to speed perhaps because I'd be backing Chisnall all day?[/quote'] I guess it's the price, mate. Both did ok yesterday in winning but I would have priced it up a little closer. Going to get involved with 2 bets tonights: T.O'Shea v J.Wade, over 7.5 legs, 3pts @ 8/11 BlueSq I'm not that au fait with darts but know enough to believe this will be close. Wade is rightly fav for this event but Silverback started here yesterday in super form and threw a cracking 3 dart average. Has gone well here before and is not phased by playing the PDC lads, in fact he thrives on it. These 2 are the hot favourites to progress from the group and this match decides who tops the group so expect a very competitive, high quality and close match. G.Anderson to beat W.Jones 5-1, 1pt @ 8/1 Bet365 G.Anderson to beat W.Jones 5-2, 2pts @ 5/1 Bet365 Gary played well last night, beating Mark Hylton to nil whilst Jones in himself had a super 5-2 win over Webster. However, felt that Webby was put off massively by the crowd and didn't do himself justice. The same may happen to Anderson but I expect him to brush the crowd, especially with 1 win already under his belt. Jones doesn't look too solid in my opinion and I'm dying to take him on. 4/7 is too short so I've gone for the correct score and feel that around 2/1-3/1 on these too is good value.

Monday 15 November 2010 Player 1 Player 2 BPP
maximize.gif Fitton, D v Wright, T (18:10 GMT) 1.03 21 101.82 %
maximize.gif Beaton, S v Monk, A (18:45 GMT) 1.73 2.3 101.28 %
maximize.gif Newton, W v Van Gerwen, M (19:20 GMT) 1.53 2.87 100.14 %
maximize.gif Lewis, A v Stompé, C (19:55 GMT) 1.65 2.6 99.07 %
maximize.gif Waites, S v Phillips, M (20:30 GMT) 1.77 2.5 96.50 %
maximize.gif Nicholson, P v Baxter, R (21:05 GMT) 2.5 1.66 100.00 %
maximize.gif Van Barneveld, R v Lloyd, C (21:40 GMT) 1.44 3.25 100.00 %
maximize.gif Taylor, P v Hankey, T (22:15 GMT) 1.13 8 101.00 %

Re: Darts: Grand Slam of Darts 2010 +12.80 for me going into today, let's hope the forum can keep this up. :clap 4pts S.Waites to beat M.Phillips @ 4/6 Bluesq Was really surpised that Lewis was defeated by Phillips, I suppose over such a format these things can happen. I'd doubt Martin will be able to keep that level up as he is not the most of consistent results player and am very keen on a Scott Waites victory. He was cruising 4-0 yesterday before letting Stompe pull back to 4 each, however Waites showed real courage to pull the final leg out the bag which would of been a huge relief. These two met in the 2010 BDO World Championship quater finals, it was an interesting game with Phillps winning 5-4, Waites will be looking for revenge here in a crucial game, one thing I will say is I was hoping for a slightly better price, 8/11 - 4/5 would of been nicer so I'm staking just 4pts here, I think he'll get a victory over this quick format.

Re: Darts: Grand Slam of Darts 2010 Yeah you're probably right CP in all honesty just Waites done well here though in 2009 reach the final and I just feel to get through yesterday's game he'll be even more confidence, he must like this place alot. Phillips might come out the same today.

Re: Darts: Grand Slam of Darts 2010 Well my bet is on Phillips because the price is value for me. Yep, he got to the final - but that alone guarantees nothing, right? Whitlock usually performed well here also and look what happened. Phillips just seemed more confident yesterday and I was impressed - just my two cents, but I would definitely not like backing 4/6 over 9 legs against someone who played a little bit better the day before.

Re: Darts: Grand Slam of Darts 2010 Good luck then CP, I done exactly the same thing with Thornton yesterday and it came good however don't have the same feeling with this one. I'm trying to get matched at higher prices on Betfair as I said in my post the 4/6 is a little skinny. 8/11 on betfair but could get 4/5 minus a little commission we shall see. The 4/6 with bluesq or other firms will probably last right up until the game so no worries there. Nothing else takes my fancy tonight.

Re: Darts: Grand Slam of Darts 2010 for me tonight just the one NICHOLSON 11/8 v BAXTER no surpries to you all that i'm backing the Asset in this match up thought he had a good game against Monk mid 90s avg and pulled out some of his trade mark finishing, You all know that i reckon this guy has the lot, leave aside his walk on antics and he is class act has all the attributes to be a be a force in the future. Sure he has had a disapointing year since his players champ win (still love to mention my 80/1 win in that one ) so the Aussie has been good to me. Ronnie has been about for a long timehe has seen it all in the game and he will know that he will face a fight tonightthis could go down to just one break of throw and i would fancy Paul to be stronger than Ronnie in that respect but i like Ronnie as most people do but he has let himself down far too much in the past can be a slow starter which is no good in thses short games . so i' am taking the tasty price on offer here

Re: Darts: Grand Slam of Darts 2010 An early one for me tonight. 3pts A.Monk to beat S.Beaton 13/10 Boylesports I quite like this bet. I didn't think much to Steve Beaton yesterday. Ronnie Baxter wasn't brilliant but he still ran over Beaton easily enough. I thought Arron Monk was unlucky against Nicholson. I thought he was the better player but a little bit of inexperience and a key shot at the right time for the Geordie saw him prevail, however I would expect the youngster to learn from that and come on for the run so to speak. He hasn't got a lot of pressure on him. He's £5k better off whatever happens just for making it here. All the pressure is on Beaton tonight. He's got to improve a lot on yesterday's effort for me and even then he's no certainty. Monk is a typical youngster. He's cocky, flashy but importantly he's a good player and he's a perfectly attractive enough price to see off the bronzed one this evening.

Re: Darts: Grand Slam of Darts 2010 I think Ted Hankey +3.5 legs against Phil Taylor @ 8/11 Blue square looks a good bet tonight. Taylor didn't play like his usual self in his first match only averaging around 90 he still won 5-1 but his opponent just never took advantage, unless Taylor ups his game tonight I think Hankey has a good chance here of atleast getting 2 legs.

Re: Darts: Grand Slam of Darts 2010 Sport Darts Event Beaton v Monk Selection Monk Strength 10/10 Date 15/11/2010 Bookmaker/Price Boylesports @ 2.30 Reasoning First time I saw Monk the other day, but have heard about how good he is. Looked very promising aswell, averaging over 92 going down to Nicholson 5-4. Should be better for that game, and I think he'll get a win tonight. Beaton couldn't finish in his first game, losing 5-2 to Baxter after being 2-1 ahead. He seemed edgy and will be under pressure again against the kid, and over this format I'll take the 2.30.

Re: Darts: Grand Slam of Darts 2010 More dogs for me tonight Sport Darts Event Beaton v Monk Selection Monk Strength 10/10 Date 15/11/2010 Bookmaker/Price Boylesports @ 2.30 Reasoning First time I saw Monk the other day, but have heard about how good he is. Looked very promising aswell, averaging over 92 going down to Nicholson 5-4. Should be better for that game, and I think he'll get a win tonight. Beaton couldn't finish in his first game, losing 5-2 to Baxter after being 2-1 ahead. He seemed edgy and will be under pressure again against the kid, and over this format I'll take the 2.30. Sport Darts Event Newton v van Gerwan Selection van Gerwan Strength 10/10 Date 15/11/2010 Bookmaker/Price Boylesports @ 2.87 Reasoning I must be missing something, because this price seems really big. Yes van Gerwan is inconsistent but in this short a game I think he can produce. He wasn't good against Taylor, but I don't think the way you play against Taylor has much bearing on how you play other guys. Newton lost to Hankey and didn't play well in that either, so both need to improve. Crucial game for both, expect it to be close and nervy, I'll take the price. Sport Darts Event Waites v Phillips Selection Phillips Strength 10/10 Date 15/11/2010 Bookmaker/Price Boylesports @ 2.37 Reasoning Tough game in prospect here. Waites was a finalist in this tournament last year where he played really well. In first match was 4-0 up against Stompe and just managed to win 5-4. Not sure what to make of that, standard was pretty high though. Phillips got the shock win against Lewis, Lewis wasn't to bad but Phillips was excellent averaging over 96 and looked very comfortable. These guys met in the Lakeside quarter final where Phillips won, all things considered happy with the solid odds against. Sport Darts Event Baxter v Nicholson Selection Nicholson Strength 10/10 Date 15/11/2010 Bookmaker/Price Stan James @ 2.37 Reasoning Love him or hate him, Nicholson has him. I just wish he'd play in the Nexus shirt he was wearing in interview during the last TV tournament! He beat Monk 5-4 in a high quality game where he averaged over 95 and compare that to Baxter who won a scrappy game against Beaton averaging a touch under 90. Baxter has a lot of experience, but to be honest I've never been a fan and I've never backed him much. Very happy to take Nicholson at odds against especially against a crowd favourite!

Re: Darts: Grand Slam of Darts 2010 Next one for me. 4pts W.Newton (-1.5 legs) to beat M.van Gerwen 8/11 Blue Square I like Wes here. He wasn't at his best in losing to Ted Hankey yesterday but that's no disgrace to lose to him because when he's on his good day Ted's one of the top 10 players in the world in either code. Michael van Gerwen was shocking. Everyone who knows me knows I'm a massive fan of this kid but he's gone backwards quicker than Audley Harrison when a punch lands near his chin. Every time I see MVG these days he's carrying more and more timber and that can't be a good thing. On his day he can beat them all but his day hasn't been seen for a long long while on TV. Wes ain't great on TV but at least he's in good nick and playing well. I think he'll win this no worse than 5-3.

Re: Darts: Grand Slam of Darts 2010 I'm turning into cramer and having a longshot! Hankey to beat Taylor 8.2 Betfair - 1pt I reckon if Hankey played like he did yesterday against Taylor playing how he did yesterday... Hankey would've won... that alone makes these odds too big. Best bookie odds are sportingbet 11/2 (6.5). We all know Hankey can play and score with the best of them and I saw enough against Newton to think he's learnt how to play proper darts with this wolverhampton crowd giving him stick. Taylor's scoring was OK but his doubling was poor and Hankey will get his chances, thanks to his scoring power he will get a few chances, even if Taylor improves, which I fully expect him to. Plenty of motivation and odds like these are enough for me to hope Hankey's finishing is second to none and he brings this little speculative punt in!