** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

Darts: Grand Slam of Darts 2010

kevshat

It's time for the annual PDC/BDO get together. The field is confirmed for this now and the draw is tomorrow night on BRMB radio. It begins on Saturday and the whole tournament is live on ITV4 as always. Usual format. The 32 players go into 8 groups of 4. Top 2 through to the last 16 which is knockout from there on. There's a couple I've got my eye on outright but as always I'll wait until after the draw before I take anything. Will come back later in the week with any picks.

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Darts: Grand Slam of Darts 2010 As you remember Kevshat, I bored all of you with questions about some basic things from this sport but you have learned me about importance of sets, legs and frames. So here it is :ok Format First Round (Group Phase) Best of nine legs Second Round Best of 19 legs Quarter-Finals Best of 31 legs Semi-Finals Best of 31 legs Final Best of 31 legs Even if I must say that snooker is incomparably better for me, I hope your picks will force me to visit this thread :hope

Re: Darts: Grand Slam of Darts 2010 One outright for me at the minute. 1pt ew M.Webster to win Grand Slam 66/1 Skybet (1/2 1,2) I like Mark Webster in this tournament. First and foremost he fits the most important criteria - he's not in Taylor's half of the tournament. I happen to think he's in a nice section of the draw. Ok he's got Whitlock and Anderson in his quarter but neither of those are unbeatable. Webster's already beaten Whitlock in a high profile match in the past and he'll have beaten Anderson countless times. The other important factor is form and Webster is fine on that score too having made the final of a players championship at the weekend and having made a couple of semis in the last month to six weeks as well as winning his maiden tour title with the players championship in Germany last month. Webster's a big game player. He's won the Lakeside championship and many seem to have forgotten he was 3rd in the PDC world championship earlier in the year. He's had experience of this tournament in the past and has made the knockout stages in both events he's played. I think he's a better player now and that bodes well here. He's in a tough group with Wayne Jones around too but should he come out of the groups then I believe he gets better the longer the matches are. With no Taylor to face until the final I think 66/1 is a huge price on someone who is devastating when he's on song. At the price, with his potential and with the draw Webby definitely has to be backed this week.

Re: Darts: Grand Slam of Darts 2010 Seriously pi$$ed off... spent ages writing up 0.5pt EW about Wes Newton... 85/1 with VC is too big... BSQ go 33/1.... Just go to PDC Newsdesk (http://www.pdc.tv/page/Newsdesk/0,,10180,00.html) and read about his exploits Friday, Saturday and Sunday... I can't be bothered to do it again.... f**king backspace...ARGH!!!

Re: Darts: Grand Slam of Darts 2010 Agree 85/1 is too big but it's that price because he'll not only have to qualify from a group which has one spot left after Taylor, but he'll have to beat him over 31 legs too, unless Nicholson beats him over 19 which I think is unlikely. If he was in the other half of the draw I'd be weighing in at the price. I guess it's worth paying to find out but that's what put me off him mate. ps - Use word 1st :lol ;).

Re: Darts: Grand Slam of Darts 2010

Agree 85/1 is too big but it's that price because he'll not only have to qualify from a group which has one spot left after Taylor, but he'll have to beat him over 31 legs too, unless Nicholson beats him over 19 which I think is unlikely. If he was in the other half of the draw I'd be weighing in at the price. I guess it's worth paying to find out but that's what put me off him mate. ps - Use word 1st :lol ;).
Agreed, hence the small stakes. However he's throwing the best darts of his life and his confidence should be high as a kite. I fully expect a backlash from Taylor having lost the Grand Prix and CLD recently... But I'm not sure we'll see it until the worlds. I think the 'perfect' Taylor has shown a chink in his armour and there are plenty of players who have waited a decade for the slightest whiff of a chance... I think we may be seeing the very, very , very early signs of the beginning of the end of the legend. Personally I think he'll win 1 or 2 less TV tourneys each year until his air of invincibilty has gone and he retires in 2/3 years. My highly controversial opinion but the days of Taylor winning everything with his hands tied behind his back, I feel, are numbered.

Agree 85/1 is too big but it's that price because he'll not only have to qualify from a group which has one spot left after Taylor, but he'll have to beat him over 31 legs too, unless Nicholson beats him over 19 which I think is unlikely. If he was in the other half of the draw I'd be weighing in at the price. I guess it's worth paying to find out but that's what put me off him mate. ps - Use word 1st :lol ;).
Oh dear... I'm on a hiding to nothing here!! I fancy backing Nicholson not to qualify from his group also!! Fancy Baxter to win it and either Beaton or young Monk to take 2nd place :spank Nicholson has Been woefully disappointing since winning the players in Feb...

Agreed, hence the small stakes. However he's throwing the best darts of his life and his confidence should be high as a kite. I fully expect a backlash from Taylor having lost the Grand Prix and CLD recently... But I'm not sure we'll see it until the worlds. I think the 'perfect' Taylor has shown a chink in his armour and there are plenty of players who have waited a decade for the slightest whiff of a chance... I think we may be seeing the very, very , very early signs of the beginning of the end of the legend. Personally I think he'll win 1 or 2 less TV tourneys each year until his air of invincibilty has gone and he retires in 2/3 years. My highly controversial opinion but the days of Taylor winning everything with his hands tied behind his back, I feel, are numbered.
Fair do's mate. You know me, I like to voice my opinion :lol. I may well follow you with a bit of loose change because like you say Newton is playing the best darts of his career but I can't get that loss to Ovens out of my head in Bolton when I was on him outright there :wall. I'll settle for a Webby vs Wes final though ;). I agree with you re Taylor but in the same breath I'm reluctant to write him off just yet. Lewis was superb in that semi final and I'd like to see Taylor beaten in a straight in 501 event before I really start to take him on.
Oh dear... I'm on a hiding to nothing here!! I fancy backing Nicholson not to qualify from his group also!! Fancy Baxter to win it and either Beaton or young Monk to take 2nd place :spank Nicholson has Been woefully disappointing since winning the players in Feb...
I agree with everything there though. My opinion of Nicholson's pretty well known in previous threads and like you say he's hardly been seen since the Players win. That's a group which could end in any order possible.

Re: Darts: Grand Slam of Darts 2010 Don't get me wrong, I think Taylor will tear chunks at the world championship but I've got a hunch he might get a bit more motivation with a defeat here somewhere along the line! Might even give us backable odds for Ally Pally:lol As eluded to earlier: Nicholson not to qualify from group - Betfred - 5/4 - 3pts Has done next to nothing since winning the Players and finds himself in a bit of a group of death. Young Aaron Monk, who I have tipped previously is playing well having made it here through making the final of the U21 world finals and is capable of causing an upset or 2 in this group, each time he plays on TV he should get better and Better. Baxter needs no introduction and may be out to prove a point in that he may be upset Nicholson was seeded ahead of him! Beaton has also been playing well in recent months and with his fluency can give anyone a good game on his day. All in all. As Kev has said you could make a case for any to go through and any to go out! With that in mind I think there is value in opposing Nicholson.

Re: Darts: Grand Slam of Darts 2010 I'd certainly agree that Wes is overpriced and there should be plenty of opportunity to trade during the tournament. I can't look beyond James Wade though and I think the 10/1 is pretty good value. So much of Wade's darts if affected by what's going on between his ears and I think the past few months have shown that he is finally coming out of the doldrums and he's got his appetite for the game back. He seems to be in a "good place" mentally now and coming off the back of a great tourney in Dublin. Just been reading the Daily Mirror today and there's an interview with Taylor which mentions that he'll be wearing glasses for the first time on the TV stage. I just can't be be backing him at around 1-2. The paper also mentions (in more detail than I'd previously seen) about the problems Barney has been having with blackmailers. For that reason alone, I think Colin Lloyd at 3/1 would have to be the bet for the winner of group F (which is in effect, a 3 runner affair -with Tricia Wright making up the numbers). :D

I'd certainly agree that Wes is overpriced and there should be plenty of opportunity to trade during the tournament. I can't look beyond James Wade though and I think the 10/1 is pretty good value. So much of Wade's darts if affected by what's going on between his ears and I think the past few months have shown that he is finally coming out of the doldrums and he's got his appetite for the game back. He seems to be in a "good place" mentally now and coming off the back of a great tourney in Dublin. Just been reading the Daily Mirror today and there's an interview with Taylor which mentions that he'll be wearing glasses for the first time on the TV stage. I just can't be be backing him at around 1-2. The paper also mentions (in more detail than I'd previously seen) about the problems Barney has been having with blackmailers. For that reason alone, I think Colin Lloyd at 3/1 would have to be the bet for the winner of group F (which is in effect, a 3 runner affair -with Tricia Wright making up the numbers). :D
Lloyd also made the final of one of the players championships, losing to Newton. The other finalist, losing to Newton was Kev's tip, Webster!

Lloyd also made the final of one of the players championships' date=' losing to Newton. The other finalist, losing to Newton was Kev's tip, Webster![/quote'] yes, that's a good point mate. Obviously Lloyd is something of a streaky player so recent form is a big plus for him. Looking forward to it, thought ITV4 did a decent job last year and with the likes of Nicholson and Hankey around, there should be plenty of banter (!) with the crowd :)

Re: Darts: Grand Slam of Darts 2010 Here is the schedule for upcoming weekend, opening matches of all eight groups. Saturday November 13 - 6pm-10.30pm Groups A-D First Games Colin Osborne v Robert Thornton Mervyn King v Stacy Bromberg Vincent van der Voort v Tony O'Shea Gary Anderson v Mark Hylton Simon Whitlock v Dave Chisnall James Wade v Justin Pipe Wayne Jones v Mark Webster Terry Jenkins v John Henderson Sunday November 14 Afternoon Session - 12.30pm-5pm Groups E-H Co Stompe v Scott Waites Colin Lloyd v Darryl Fitton Paul Nicholson v Arron Monk Wes Newton v Ted Hankey Ronnie Baxter v Steve Beaton Adrian Lewis v Martin Phillips Raymond van Barneveld v Tricia Wright Phil Taylor v Michael van Gerwen Can you recommend some "bankers" that are worth to put some bigger money or something useful as combo material? Also I am little bit confused with this sets and legs. In Glasgow there were sets with best of five legs and now there is just "best of nine legs" (in group matches) as I understood this, but that looks just to short on first sight

Re: Darts: Grand Slam of Darts 2010 It is short but right! As such, even bankers aren't a certainty! This is the event Anastasia Dobromyslova beat Vincent van der voort in! So anything is possible! Although King, Wade, Barneveld and Taylor are as safe as you'll get looking at their opponents, possibly Anderson as well but I don't know enough about Hylton! Whitlock v Chisnall should be good although I'm not sure about Chisnalls current form?? Jones v Webster could be a cracker as should VVDV and O'Shea. I reckon over the short distance, 5 of the 2nd batch of 8 games could go either way!

Re: Darts: Grand Slam of Darts 2010 That Barneveld news is old stuff. I know the guy has just been prisoned but the actual threats were at the start of the year. I was using it against Barney in the Premier League, that's how long ago it was. If the Mirror wasn't sponsoring this event I doubt they'd have even picked up on it. I'm surprised the sporting life site has made such a big thing of it. Since the Police got hold of the gang Barney's hit a 9 darter on TV and made the final and semi final of the next two majors he qualified for so he hasn't exactly done badly like they've made out. One more tournament outright for me. 1pt ew T.Jenkins to win Grand Slam 66/1 Ladbrokes (1/2 1,2) Terry Jenkins has a decent enough record in this event. He's been runner up and a semi finalist in the last two years. That's not a huge surprise given that the tournament is near enough on his doorstep so I would imagine The Bull will be pretty relaxed this week. His draw isn't too bad either. HIs group is comfortable. It's a 3 horse race for 2 spaces so I expect him to come out of the group and if he can win the group - which with seed Mervyn King being in rotten form isn't impossible - then one of Tony O'Shea, van der Voort or Justin Pipe wouldn't be the toughest opponent he could have in the last 16 either. Obviously he'll most probably have to tackle James Wade at some point but the Machine hasn't got the greatest record in this event and Jenkins has beaten him in the knockouts here before. You'd have to say Jenkins' record here doesn't merit a 66/1 quote. Ok his recent form could be better but I'm not too fussed about that in that he's a big event player and he's got 3 matches to find some form in this event before the nitty gritty begins which should help him. At 66/1 I think Jenkins is a good each way bet.

Any opinions?? Mr.Shat???:ok
You got anything easier you can ask me :lol. Erm truth be told I'm not sure. I'd imagine he'll be inspired by the return to the scene of his good result. But he's in a tough portion of the draw there isn't he :unsure. Phillips as the outsider of the group and as you know to your benefit, he beat Waites at the Lakeside. Without sitting on the fence too much I don't think he'll go as well as he did last year but I wouldn't be surprised if he qualified from the group, even though I wouldn't make him favourite to do it.

Re: Darts: Grand Slam of Darts 2010 2 more outrights before we kick off. 4pts D.Chisnall NOT to qualify from Group A 5/6 William Hill Bit of a hard bet for me to take here because I like this guy a lot but it's the right bet for a number of reasons. First of all his form since he made the final at Lakeside isn't the greatest and what I like about this bet is he's got Simon Whitlock 1st and as good as Chisnall was in the world championship at the Lakeside, Whitlock is a major step up in class. So if we assume that he loses that he's going to be under severe pressure to beat Thornton and Osborne. Now we saw at the Lakeside that sort of pressure doesn't worry Chissy but we also saw he can miss some vital doubles too. In best of 9 sprints at this level if you miss doubles it's goodnight Sayonara. This is a real tough group. All 3 PDC players have made TV finals in the past and while I'm sure Chisnall will win PDC events in the future, I don't think it will be this one so I'll take him NOT to qualify here. 1pt M.Phillips to win Group E 9/1 Bet365 Martin Phillips looks a big price here. I know Adrian Lewis is the form man having beaten Taylor last time darts was on TV but is Phillips really a 9/1 shot in a group of short sprints? Not for me he isn't. Phillips showed at the Lakeside that when he clicks he's a heavy scorer and a solid player. Some BDO players will let the nerves affect them with the step up but Phillips has been around long enough to not let that happen. Scott Waites and Co Stompe are the others in this group and I'd be amazed if anyone wins it with 3 wins. Phillips made the semi finals of the Winmau a couple of weeks ago so he is in good form. Lewis has failed to get out of the groups in the last 2 years and his group last year was easier than this one. At 9/1 I'll take my chances that the Welshman can eek out a couple of wins from this wide open group.

Re: Darts: Grand Slam of Darts 2010 I've boiled it down to 3 BDO players who have the best chance of qualifying from their group.Waites, Chisnall and O'Shea. Basically I can't see any of the rest getting through. Having taken a look at the odds and not being able to present a better case for one over another, I've decided to Dutch the three favourites! Furthest BDO player -Sportingbet Chisnall 4/1 stake 2.063pts O'Shea 4/1 stake 2.063pts Waites 9/2 stake 1.875pts Total staked = 6pts Return if any 1 wins = 10.313pts Profit if any 1 wins = 4.313pts :hope

Re: Darts: Grand Slam of Darts 2010 Just one match bet for me on the opening night. Deliberately taken with sportingbet as they are refunded stakes up to £50 on singles if your player loses a deciding leg. 3pts R.Thornton to beat C.Osborne 5/4 Sportingbet I think Robert Thornton's a big price here. He's coming back into a little bit of form but in the last few players championship events he's kept getting edged out by the odd leg in 11 in the last 16's and last 8's. However we know on his day he can be a very heavy scorer which is what I'm looking for here over these short sprints. Since Colin Osborne made the UK Open final last year his TV record is atrocious, as confirmed here last year when he lost to two BDO players on his way to a poor exit in the group stages. He's slowly getting his form together but for whatever reason he and this event don't like each other thus far. Thornton was a quarter finalist here last year so he's got what it takes to get out of the group. With Thornton it's all about doubles because he usually scores well. Hopefully being 1st on lets him catch Osborne cold and at 5/4 when in truth this isn't a great deal away from 50/50 in my opinion and with the deciding leg loss refund offer I'll take my chances on Thornton at what is a decent price in such a short sprint.

It is short but right! As such, even bankers aren't a certainty! This is the event Anastasia Dobromyslova beat Vincent van der voort in! So anything is possible! Although King, Wade, Barneveld and Taylor are as safe as you'll get looking at their opponents, possibly Anderson as well but I don't know enough about Hylton! Whitlock v Chisnall should be good although I'm not sure about Chisnalls current form?? Jones v Webster could be a cracker as should VVDV and O'Shea. I reckon over the short distance, 5 of the 2nd batch of 8 games could go either way!
I will put Wade in some combo, last time I made decent profit even Taylor lost vs Andersen :spank But still didn't get clear picture of format. best of five legs but how many sets? :D

Re: Darts: Grand Slam of Darts 2010 No sets in the GSoD as it's first to five legs in the group stages. Would usually put all the odds up (outright, to win the group, to qualify/not to qualify, match odds, etc;) but there's so many markets it's completely overwhelmed me on this occasion.

No sets in the GSoD as it's first to five legs in the group stages. Would usually put all the odds up (outright, to win the group, to qualify/not to qualify, match odds, etc;) but there's so many markets it's completely overwhelmed me on this occasion.
So matches last for twenty minutes or something like that? If it's like that than really is not wise to search some bankers in such a short matches.. tnx :ok

Re: Darts: Grand Slam of Darts 2010 6pts T.O'Shea to beat V.Van Der Voort @ 4/5 Stan James Would think O'Shea on his game would be strong enough to see off the Dutchmen in a race to 5 legs, you take a chance that Van Der Voort doesn't get in the rhythm straight away with his speedy throwing as we remember him beating Taylor here last year but also losing to the Russian women. O'Shea is a good player and safe darts should get him though this. 1pt M.Hylton to beat G.Anderson @ 9/2 Sportingbet Was trying to find some handicaps on this match but doesn't look like bookies are offering it, Hylton turned pro this year and qualified through a big field to get seeing off Priestley to make it here, if coming here with a fearless approach I think he could give Gary a game who sometimes can struggle under pressure and miss those doubles.

Re: Darts: Grand Slam of Darts 2010 6pts R.Thornton to beat D.Chisnall @ 6/4 Bet365 Yes please is all I can say about the 6/4 offered for a Robert Thornton victory, Dave played well last night but I don't think we saw a very strong Simon Whitlock, he had chances to get in the game but didn't take them and simply over this format you cannot do that. I'm not trying to take anything away from Chisnall as he threw good darts. I feel Thornton will score consistently tonight as he did last night hitting double the 100+ that Chisnall did. Chisnall was higher on the ton 40's and ton 80's but those darts won't always land in. The averages weren't far away looking at the stats and Thornton has much more experience than his opponent. Honestly I don't think alot will split them and 6/4 is clear value on a Robert Thornton victory.

Re: Darts: Grand Slam of Darts 2010 One for me this afternoon to begin with. 3pts S.Waites to beat C.Stompe 10/11 Skybet Scotty 2 Hotty returns to the scene of his fine run in this tournament last year where he ended up runner up to Taylor. Waites is in good nick coming into this week having won the Czech Open last week. Stompe's a bit of an enigma really. He loves the big stage and the crowd interaction but equally in the last couple of TV events he hasn't offered a lot. Stompe is a solid player but I've never really thought these short course matches suit him as he can take a while to get going however with his ability to take out the big shots he'll always be dangerous. Despite his high averages Stompe lost all 3 matches here last year so it's not a happy hunting ground for the Dutch star. Waites is a good player, he's a heavy scorer and if he hits the doubles then 10/11 is a good thing here.