UEFA Champions League > 15th September

Re: UEFA Champions League > 15th September I'm going for 2 bets tonight. LAY Chelsea HT/FT at 4/5 Chelsea's record away from home in CL isn't that great, and they have some important players missing (Drogba especially). I don't know much about Zilna but they will be organised and tough to break down, at least for a while. Chelsea are a patient side anyway and won't be too bothered if its a draw at HT. So I think the lay of Chelsea HT/FT looks a decent price. UNDER 2.5 goals AC Milan v Auxerre at 10/11 AC Milan are usually good for unders bets and with Auxerre being a typical French side (very solid, organised and strong in defence), this looks an obvious one for a low scoring match. Of course an early goal could change all that, but I think both sides will be very cagey, feeling each other out.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: UEFA Champions League > 15th September

Shakhtar Donetsk-Partizan Belgrade I will go with Partizan +1 @2.42. I don't see this game being any similar to the last year's match in Donetsk, when Partizan was falling apart under old, clueless coach, and easily lost by 4:1. For the first thing, Partizan has got a new coach, a guy that always forces offensive football, and a guy who created something out of this team. Partizan is now scoring over 2 goals per match, they're playing brave, and they have a few more experienced players in the squad right now playing the entire 90 mins such are Iliev, S.Ilic or Boya (the first 2 with CL experience). The good thing about this squad is that its a mix of youth and experience and the players have a good chemistry among them. On the other hand, Shakhtar is a great team, one of the best sides from the Eastern Europe for sure. Full of quality Brazilians, whose total value exceeds 100m euros. Fernandinho, who is one of their key players, is out, but they've got 5 other players just as good as him that can successfully play on his position. Their fans aren't anything special, and their form this season isn't that great, they lost to poor Obolon last friday and were struggling in many other matches. Surely, Partizan has a chance not to get humiliated and is arriving to Donetsk at a good moment. Much more than the bookies suggest, so my money is on Partizan +1. Will publish full preview later on my site. Good luck to all.
I'm sorry, but are you serious? Partizan will play without 2 main defenders against a very offensive Shakhtar side away from home. All they will do is just try to control the ball on their side of the field which will lead to mistakes like against Anderlecht. Do you really think that if Partizan scores more than 2 goals in the weak Serbian league they will do the same against Shakhtar? Don't compare Serbian League and Anderlecht to Shakhtar. This is just different level. You also talk about offensive football Partizan shows. Against what teams? They might play like that in Serbia against low level teams. Lucescu already learnt his lesson with Fulham and he won't allow this happening again.

Re: UEFA Champions League > 15th September thanks for the info i just went with -1.5 on bet365 for 1.95 reason for it i see a 2-0 or 3-1 scoreline.... it would be just as bad as fergie's choices if jose plays two defensive midfielders... :hope and goodnight need some rest before the games!

Re: UEFA Champions League > 15th September I just wrote a big write up but it said I needed to refresh the page then it lost it :wall so here is mine with quick summary/ With Betfair: Zilina Chelsea under 2.5 @ 2.04 They are missing big attackers and only went over once in group stages away from home last time out Marseille v Moscow both to score @ 1.87 Marseille defence problems have been well documented, converted Mbia to CB though he hates playing there. Conceded 8 in 5 in league- third worst in Ligue. Spartak's Welliton has scored a goal a game in Russian league and MacGeady was hot property in Scotland for many years. Arsenal AH @ 1.5 @ 10/11 Arsenal win to 0 @ 5/4 Arsenal win both 1/2s @ evens the AH would have been successful in all of Arsenals CL games last season at home bar the Barca game. I feel Braga's attack is being overstated due to Palop's mistakes in last game where they won 4-3 away in Spain. They only scored 48 in league last year- 30 shy of 1st and 3rd placed Benfica and Porto.

Could anyone enlighten me as to how Auxerre play their football generally? I don't watch French football at all. I see they aren't doing all that well domestically thus far, but I don't think that will be on their minds for their first game at the San Siro. Do they possess pace going forward because that is a good way to get at this Milan side on the break - as Cesena showed at the weekend? If they have the players to do so then I would recommend them taking a counter-attack approach to the match as Milan will push high and press the game at home. I am trying not to buy into this dream-team forward line. They didn't exactly click at the weekend but Milan will score lots of goals this season. Their back-line will look like this: Zambrotta, Nesta (likely), Bonera, Antonini. Not going to say it agai, but this is poor. When Milan don't have Nesta and Silva together they struggle. Gattuso has to be dropped, and it will probably be for Seedorf to give them a bit more going forward - maybe even KPB. What was clear to me is that when they were held up by Cesena, Pato, Ronnie and Robinho when he was on all had to drop deeper and deeper as there was nobody to link the midfield and attack. If Auxerre are possess the players capable to defend with organisation and then break swiftly I would consider them too large at 10.0 (Bet365). Any feedback would be appreciated.
Right, Auxerre. You're right ultravires, they haven't started the season well. I actually think this tournament has something to do with that. The Zenit double-header was huge for them and it took a lot out of the squad, which is thin, for their league matches. There is also no doubt in my mind that Auxerre had this match in their thoughts when they played Caen, drawing 1-1 to a last minute equaliser, last Saturday. As for the team itself, Jean Fernandez is only missing one player in winger Roy Contout, who is extremely pacey and would've caused Milan problems in defence. Valter Birsa, who is slower but more technical, will probably replace him on grounds of experience. They'll play 4-5-1, that I am sure. Anthony Le Tallec will try to support Ireneusz Jelen when he can, but the Pole will probably have a lonely task up top. Birsa and Dennis Oliech, the other right-winger, will probably be on the back foot a great deal and I can't see them offering support. Benoit Pedretti, their captain, is the heartbeat of the side and won't look out of place at this level, but David N'Dinga, who will partner him, is young and inexperienced, and I can see him struggling to cope with Clarence Seedorf, Andrea Pirlo and Massimo Ambrosini. Milan will probably have an awful lot of the ball and I can see the aforementioned duo chasing shadows a lot of the time. Auxerre's defence is well-organised at L1 level. They have four beasts in Cedric Hengbart, Adama Coulibaly, Jean-Pascal Mignot and Stephane Grichting. Physically, they are an imposing four, but I think they'll struggle with the pace and movement of Milan if they create space. Olivier Sorin is a competent keeper but, like his back-four, he's untested at this level. I really don't see Auxerre winning this. Even if Milan are in poor fettle right now, I'd expect them to contain Auxerre. The visitors will want to come and park the bus and take a point, a little like Rangers did at Manchester United last night. I don't expect them to be adventurous. If Milan play a full team and get going, they will win this. It's a no bet for me, as I know the Rossinieri are not playing particularly well, but I think Auxerre, despite beating Zenit to get here, will probably struggle tonight at the San Siro. Hope this helps. Good luck with whatever you go for :ok

Re: UEFA Champions League > 15th September Since winners haven't been my strong point this week, I'm gonna go with goals this time around: Milan vs Auxerre under 2.5 goals at 1.85 (Bet 365) 2 sides that are very organised in defence and like odd goal wins or draws. MSK Zilina vs Chelsea under 2.5 goals at 1.95 (Bet 365) No need to repeat what everyone else has said here. Sorry didn't have time for a detailed explanation today.

Re: UEFA Champions League > 15th September Arsenal vs Braga Arsenal have started the season well and, as usual, have scored plenty of goals. They are missing a couple players but also have Clichy and Sagna returning to boltster their defence. They have proven European performers and on their day can put 4 or 5 past any of the sides they come accross at this stage of the competition. Braga have done well to get this far, dumping out Sevilla and Celtic, but tonight will be on another level to anything they have faced before. I cant see anything other than an Arsenal win but dont think it will be a 4-0 or 5-0 job. A comfortable win though is easily achievable and i have no problems placing a strong stake on them covering the -1 handicap. Selection: 6pts Arsenal (-1) to beat Braga at 1.95 with Bet365

Re: UEFA Champions League > 15th September Thanks for the feedback on Auxerre Dak and Atko. It sounds as though they are going to go defensive which is of no real surprise. It is a shame they are missing that pacey winger as he would have caused problems. I have watched that Birsa a couple of times and don't like him at all. A defensive 4-5-1 can become a 4-3-3 counter-attacking approach very quickly, which is how Cesena played to such great effect. Doesn't sound to me as though Auxerre are going to do this though and will be a more regimented 4-5-1. They could however surprise us and dedicate 3 players going forward and everyone else defending deep. This is what Cesena did so well and the problems were massive for Milan. There may be potential for them to cause problems but I have decided against backing them. They have been hammered overnight from 10.00 to 7.50 (Bet365). I will however be watching to see how they set up exactly and go from there. If they are smart and brave there is something for them tonight. Thanks a lot for the info.

Right, Auxerre. You're right ultravires, they haven't started the season well. I actually think this tournament has something to do with that. The Zenit double-header was huge for them and it took a lot out of the squad, which is thin, for their league matches. There is also no doubt in my mind that Auxerre had this match in their thoughts when they played Caen, drawing 1-1 to a last minute equaliser, last Saturday. As for the team itself, Jean Fernandez is only missing one player in winger Roy Contout, who is extremely pacey and would've caused Milan problems in defence. Valter Birsa, who is slower but more technical, will probably replace him on grounds of experience. They'll play 4-5-1, that I am sure. Anthony Le Tallec will try to support Ireneusz Jelen when he can, but the Pole will probably have a lonely task up top. Birsa and Dennis Oliech, the other right-winger, will probably be on the back foot a great deal and I can't see them offering support. Benoit Pedretti, their captain, is the heartbeat of the side and won't look out of place at this level, but David N'Dinga, who will partner him, is young and inexperienced, and I can see him struggling to cope with Clarence Seedorf, Andrea Pirlo and Massimo Ambrosini. Milan will probably have an awful lot of the ball and I can see the aforementioned duo chasing shadows a lot of the time. Auxerre's defence is well-organised at L1 level. They have four beasts in Cedric Hengbart, Adama Coulibaly, Jean-Pascal Mignot and Stephane Grichting. Physically, they are an imposing four, but I think they'll struggle with the pace and movement of Milan if they create space. Olivier Sorin is a competent keeper but, like his back-four, he's untested at this level. I really don't see Auxerre winning this. Even if Milan are in poor fettle right now, I'd expect them to contain Auxerre. The visitors will want to come and park the bus and take a point, a little like Rangers did at Manchester United last night. I don't expect them to be adventurous. If Milan play a full team and get going, they will win this. It's a no bet for me, as I know the Rossinieri are not playing particularly well, but I think Auxerre, despite beating Zenit to get here, will probably struggle tonight at the San Siro. Hope this helps. Good luck with whatever you go for :ok
Thanks Atko. Great write-up! Was looking for some analysis here on Auxerre before deciding whether to bet on the match.:ok Milan vs Auxerre Milan (-1.0) @ 1.82(SBO) Clear win on Milan here for me. They are playing at home with a new manager in charge and an almost full strength squad with Nesta and Seedorf back. With Ibrahimovic-Robinho-Pato partership up front, I think they can score anytime especially when they have service from Seedorf and Pirlo. Ibrahimovic missed a penalty in his last match but that doesnt mean he becomes 50% worse because of it. He still has lots of quality and can definitely score here. And Im not convinced at all by Auxerre's defence. At the back, Milan will likely play with Sokratis/Bonera and Nesta. Its a doubt whether they can keep a clean sheet here but I do believe it is unlikely Auxerre will score more than 1. Their main danger will be Jelen who is a really good striker. The doubt I have is whether he will get good service tonight, with Ambrosini/Seedorf marking Pedretti. Overall, I see Milan winining this, and Id give them >55% chance to win by at least 2 goals. Real Madrid vs Ajax Real Madrid (-1.75) @ 2.21(SBO) Big handicap here which I think Real will beat. Of course much of this match will depend on the line-ups, but considering their next match is against newly promoted Real Sociedad, I think Mourinho will be looking to win here and use his first choice 11. With a front 3 of Benzema, Ronaldo and Higuain, I cant see Real failing to score, especially against a weaker opponent. Ozil/Granero and Alonso will be the creative spark from midfield, and with Khedira/Diarra as destroyer, I think Madrid will over-run Ajax here. Up front, I also dont see Ajax scoring. With Suarez out suspended, Hammoudi may start alone/ partner Mido up front. Either way, I cant see the vistors scoring here. GL:hope

Re: UEFA Champions League > 15th September Shakhtar- Partizan =over (1.85) bet365 stake 5 / 10 First match of Group H. Shakhtar had already participated in the UEFA Champions League in 2009 with some reinforcements such as Brazilian striker Eduardo da Silva (Arsenal) and the Ukrainian Central Chygrynskiy (Barcelona), Luiz Adriano, Jadson, Willian. The team is coached by a very experienced coach Mircea Lucescu, is the current leader of the Ukrainian league, two points ahead of arch-rival, Dinamo Kiev. The strength Shakhtar is to have good players in the team as the Brazilian new signing from Villarreal Bruno Renan. In Shakhtar midfielder Fernandinho missing through injury. Partizan eliminated Anderlecht. The team played really well in both games against the Belgians, especially in attack, scoring four goals in two games. The team has a strong offensive force but the defensive line is much weaker, especially with the absence of two key defenders as: Marko Jovanovic and Ivan Stevanovic Mladen Krstajić while the captain is in doubt through injury. Possible configurations: Shakhtar Donetsk: Pyatov, Srna, Hübschman, Rakitsky, Rats, Stepanenko, Fernandinho, Edward, William, Jadson, Adrian. Partizan Belgrade: Mladen Bozovic, Knezevic, Lomic, Marko Jovanovic, Stankovic, Petrovic, Davidov, Ilic, Jovanovic, Kleo, Boia :hope:hope:hope

Re: UEFA Champions League > 15th September Arsenal v braga Bookies expecting goals here with very low prices for over 2.5 goals. As we know arsenal always likely to score at home but they are vulnerable at the back and that will be exarcebated by missing vermaelen. Braga are a team to back at home and oppose away but they are good on the counter attack and they can score goals. 5 v sevilla, 4 v celtic (over 2 legs) and 3 v Porto at the weekend. Both teams to score at 2.2 (skybet) 2 points

Shakhtar- Partizan =over (1.85) bet365 stake 5 / 10 First match of Group H. Shakhtar had already participated in the UEFA Champions League in 2009 with some reinforcements such as Brazilian striker Eduardo da Silva (Arsenal) and the Ukrainian Central Chygrynskiy (Barcelona), Luiz Adriano, Jadson, Willian. The team is coached by a very experienced coach Mircea Lucescu, is the current leader of the Ukrainian league, two points ahead of arch-rival, Dinamo Kiev. The strength Shakhtar is to have good players in the team as the Brazilian new signing from Villarreal Bruno Renan. In Shakhtar midfielder Fernandinho missing through injury. Partizan eliminated Anderlecht. The team played really well in both games against the Belgians, especially in attack, scoring four goals in two games. The team has a strong offensive force but the defensive line is much weaker, especially with the absence of two key defenders as: Marko Jovanovic and Ivan Stevanovic Mladen Krstajić while the captain is in doubt through injury. Possible configurations: Shakhtar Donetsk: Pyatov, Srna, Hübschman, Rakitsky, Rats, Stepanenko, Fernandinho, Edward, William, Jadson, Adrian. Partizan Belgrade: Mladen Bozovic, Knezevic, Lomic, Marko Jovanovic, Stankovic, Petrovic, Davidov, Ilic, Jovanovic, Kleo, Boia :hope:hope:hope
I dont where did you find this lineup but Fernandinho is surely out for Shakhtar. Bozovic,Knezevic,Lomic and Jovanovic dont play for Partizan anymore. Davidov and Boya will be on bench. Lineup should be:Stojkovic;, Miljkovic;, Krstajic;, Savic;, Lazevski, Medo, Petrovic;, Ilic;, Tomic;, Iliev, Kleo

ARSENAL V.S. BRAGA

660.gif1682.gif

I will keep this short because i have lots of work at hand now. I am going for BRAGA +1.25 @ 2.025 ladbrokes because Braga has not conceded more than 2 goals since 22/02/10, against Porto. Arsenal on the other hand is missing Walcott which i think will be a huge factor beacuse without his penetration run on the right, they will lose alot alot alot of pace tonight. I think as long as Braga can keep it tight at the back, they should get at least a draw. Another problem Arsenal has is, who will be their striking option tonight? On nights like this, we can't rely on youngsters because Braga's style of play is always different from the English.

ARSENAL V.S. BRAGA

660.gif1682.gif

I will keep this short because i have lots of work at hand now. I am going for BRAGA +1.25 @ 2.025 ladbrokes because Braga has not conceded more than 2 goals since 22/02/10, against Porto. Arsenal on the other hand is missing Walcott which i think will be a huge factor beacuse without his penetration run on the right, they will lose alot alot alot of pace tonight. I think as long as Braga can keep it tight at the back, they should get at least a draw. Another problem Arsenal has is, who will be their striking option tonight? On nights like this, we can't rely on youngsters because Braga's style of play is always different from the English.

Arsenal's possible line-up: -------------Almunia------------- Sagna, Koscienly, Squillaci, Clichy --------- Song -- Denilson ------- -- Rosicky --- Fabregas --- Arshavin -------------- Chamak ------------- Arsenal have got plenty of good options despite their injury problems. Think Wenger may prefer Denilson to Wilshere tonight who's been playing in the Premier League. There's also other options with Nasri coming back from injury and Eboue who could play down the right to add more pace. Although I don't think pace is a problem for Arsenal they have it throughout the team and they'll look to Arshavin for width and the ball over the top with no Walcott playing. Chamak will be the lone striker I suspect, he's started brightly and looks a decent player to me. They also have Vela in reserve who can play upfront or out wide. Overall my pick was Arsenal win and I'm sticking by that, Arsenal usually dominate possession and take the match to their opposition, their defense can be suspect but I'd back Arsenal to out-score their opposition in this game.

Re: UEFA Champions League > 15th September I think some of you are overrating Zilina quite a bit. They are much worse side than the sides that Chelsea is playing in the English league. The only reason they are in the CL is the fact that they had a very kind draw, especially with Sparta being in a horrible mess - even in the domestic scene. This can easily turn into a goal-fest I think, especially if we see a goal early on.

Re: UEFA Champions League > 15th September Arsenal v Braga As a few have mentioned goals looks a good shout but I thought I would go with a cheeky little bet on a red card for Braga. I expect Arsenal to dominate possession and Braga to conceed a lot of fouls. Many teams adopt the tactic of sticking the boot in against Arsenal and we've already seen 3 red cards this season for Arsenal's opposition. The ref is Alain Hamer who has a reputation for being whistle happy and for showing a lot of cards. Braga to be shown a red card @5.5 BlueSquare

cfr will play this game on its own stadium in cluj,so your info is wrong.otherwise,i think basel is favourite,regardless the odds. the romanian team just sacked its coach 2 days ago.sorin cartu is the new trainer and he is known in the romanian football as a coach who loves cattenacio style,defending is his first option,even if he had been a briliant striker back in the days. i grant basel as being in a much better form than cfr is,i dont't think they lose tonight,but odds for "x2'' are pretty decent too
Yeah regardless of home advantage I believe the odds are very good value for Basel, who are in better form than Cluj. I'll know now to double check other sites info not just Bet365 :ok

Re: UEFA Champions League > 15th September I was initially thinking Arsenal - 3 @17/20 corners, but Nicko you got me thinking, ive often said that the team thats more likely to lose dont end losing big corner handicaps an end up grabbing a few trying to get back in the game. Also in vice versa the team that losing sometimes dont even get out there own half an end up giving away lots of corners due to there backs being against the wall. With Braga you no there want be afraid to venture forward, they seem to be an attack minded team, so im willing to side with them at the prices on offer. Braga + 4 corners @ 21/20 Bet 365 As a few said earlier Zilina, Chelsea could be low scoring contest, the Blues travel to unknown surroundings, its sure to be hostile cagey affair. Zillina v Chelsea Under 2.5 goals @ Evs Betfred Marseille will be looking to get there campaign of to a good start, they have got a few decent players an they should make home advantage count against a average Spartark side, but in saying in that Spatark have won the last 2 at the Stade Velodrome i hope its not 3rd time lucky Marseille @ 4/6 Paddy Power I like Ajax + 2 but with Luis Saurez not playing im not filled with confidence anymore, also Bayern to go over 2 was on my mind, but with players missing it could be low scoring Cluj an Basel should be a tight encounter and doubt there will be much in it i see another low scoring affair. Cluj v Basel Under 2.5 goals @ 8/11 Bet365 In regards to Milan at those prices you would expect a win, but i want be rushing into them at those odds. if they win it want be by a big margin also i dont see Auxerre finding the net . Milan v Auxerre Under 2.5 goals @ 9/10 Bet 365

Re: UEFA Champions League > 15th September Arsenal -1 vs Braga @ 10/11 (Paddy Power: 6pts) Bet of the round I think, can see a comfortable win for us. We've lost a few players granted...Theo, Van Persie, Diaby and Vermaelen also short-term injuries.....but Nasri, Denilson, Chamakh and Squillaci will come in without much fuss. Fabregas showed signs of a return to his best against Bolton and I expect him to be the difference again tonight.Braga have played some good stuff to get this far and full credit to them considering the budget they work on....but the fun stops tonight...I expect a 2-0 win minimum for us. Also have a small punt on Arshavin to net anytime. Arshavin to score anytime vs Braga @ 6/4 (Will Hil: 1pt) Think this is worth a play. I've been impressed with Arshavin so far....he's looked quite sharp so far and has notched a couple of goals, and should have had 2 or 3 on Saturday. He also likes the European nights and can sometimes put in that extra 5% in these nights. Him and Chamakh will be relied upon to get the goals tonight....Chamakh is odds on to score anytime and I think Arshavin should be around 2-00-2.25. Even Vela is a shorter price than Arshavin here which is crazy. Worth a punt IMO. GL!

I agree that there looks to be goals in this one, but the bet I'm thinking about is over 2.5. Arsenal are scoring for fun at home this season, v Blackpool 6-0 and Bolton 4-1, and Braga's two away games in Europe have both gone over, v Celtic 1-2 and Sevilla 4-3. Braga also played out a goal-fest in a 3-2 defeat at Porto over the weekend. Braga don't seem the sort to park the bus, which means goals should be likely. Over 2.5 @ 1.67
First bet on PL won :cheers

No bet for me on Marseille game. With this odds most people will play on HW but i think it wont be easy. Last year Marseille started with Milan defeat at home. I think we have to find some other bets to jump. Think like bookies and find bets different then most people play. GL. all
:ok

Arsenal -1.5 AH vs Braga. 1.97 @ Pinnacle I think this is a gift, really. Arsenal very strong at home and Portuguese teams generally struggle in away matches in UK. Remember Arsenal crushing Porto all the time at home. Braga are worse team than Porto. Despite missing some key players today Arsenal still should be able to record comfortable win. 2 goal margin is the least I expect in this one. Bayern -1 AH vs Roma. 2.14 @ 188bet Roma are in a huge mess atm. They lost their last match 5-1 away to Cagliari of all teams. Rubbish. Bayern have not been as good as some might expect them to be at this stage of the season but still the Germans are force, especially at home. Can't see anything other than home team win in this one.
WIN WIN :ok