goater14 is the best player on PL. Think you're better? PROVE IT!!

gazabroad

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Are you the best player on PL? PROVE IT!! Ok, this has been running for a little while now - you have had a chance to see how it works ...... FORGETTING LAST NIGHTS COCK UP!!!! Any thoughts on what could be done to improve it? The objective is inclusiveness - I don't want people who only play freerolls excluded and I don't want people who don't play freerolls excluded - everyone should have a reasonably similar chance. I don't want people too heavily penalised either if they cannot play EVERY night (or near!!). SO how is the mix of games? How could it be improved? What about the rankings system - is it overcomplicated? Would a "simpler" system work better? Is best 5 from last 28 a good number, or do we want best 5 from 50, best 10 from 50, best 3 from 15 .... etc........ What about variations - haven't had that many non NLH games - not as many variants as I was hoping to do - but maybe if we aim for 1 variant a week? Whether it be Omaha, Omaha Hi/Lo, Razz, Horse etc ..... does that sound reasonable? What about Sporting Odds Champions League? It's a popular PL game - should I include it more, or does it work including the first 4 or so games of the month, then leaving it up to people to decide to play (or not)..... What about the mix of sites? Do I choose too many different sites? Or not enough variety (to give everyone a chance on their favourite site)? The poll on the Monster games on Party Poker - really did regret that afterwards - get the impression that if I did a poll on ANY slightly different games to what we normally do, it would always fail to get a majority, and we'll end up always doing the same thing - should I do polls like that or just make the decision? Does the means of including yourself (the daily thread) work? Or do I need to find a different method? (people do seem to struggle with it - but maybe in time, they'll get used to it?) Any other thoughts? Hit me with it all!!!!

Re: Are you the best player on PL? PROVE IT!! I like the idea of sporting odds champoin leagues and tournaments like that being part of focus games. It gives that chance for PLers to win some good prizes at possibly low outlay. The idea of games with incentives appeal to me more than possibly a straight top 10 pay out. Anything frmm getting to next years WSOP to winning cruised etc. This might not suit every one and will be happy if not included. I also think when we are really struggling to find a game then a private game is best option.

Re: Are you the best player on PL? PROVE IT!! My only comment GaF would be vary the tournaments you use rather than the same ones each week. As it stands there's only Monday nights and Saturday nights where tourneys differ week on week. I know the Virgin and Spin Palace are great value but the majority of us played these before the focus game idea kicked in. Obviously the PL games have to be counted but varying tournaments each week gives you more space to fit in non HE games and gives it all a bit more of an overall poker challenge rather than just doing well in the same tourneys each week. Does that make sense :unsure

Re: Are you the best player on PL? PROVE IT!! Agree there Kev. More variety would be good. I must be honest I dont go round looking for games. I play mainly ring games but will play the Focus and PL games. Maybe there could be a seperate thread for value games or "good looking" games that people see that GAF maybe could use.

Re: Are you the best player on PL? PROVE IT!! I think that you have done a great job in this so far GaF, so no real complaints from me.:ok A bigger variation of games would be my only request, id like to play more omaha, razz, horse etc, im not very good at them but would like to learn. As far as the sites we play on are concerned, majority of us play on BOSS, PRIMA or CRYPTO run sites. I personnaly dont want to have to play on loads of sites to play these games, which is a reason i voted no for the party poker one. Like i said earlier, no complaints from me as you have done a good job here!

Re: Are you the best player on PL? PROVE IT!! i agree, great job gaf. i am limited to what focus games i play in due to only depositing in a few sites, mostly pokerstars, virgin , so. but at the end of the day the focus games will not be able to please everyone all of the time

Re: Are you the best player on PL? PROVE IT!! Great job GaF. Little extra job for you - how different would the league look at the moment if we were counting say the best 7 scores (25% of the 28 cycle)? Are many of us not posting 7 scores? One comment about the Virgin game. Whilst being a good source of big points, this is the main game open to 'abuse' due to sitting out, because of the chip/blind structure. It's always worth registering, as it's free, so for example tonight, I sat out whilst I played SpOdds. I had a quick look at break time (30 mins in) and I was only 150 chips down. By the time I went out of CL I still had plenty to play with and have just gone out now in 28th. SlickMic and Lou were sitting out on my table when I arrived and I believe remained so and have finished 46th and 129th (I saw Mick 'win' a couple of all-ins!) I'm not finger-pointing, but demonstrating it's easy to pick up points without playing, whether intentionally sitting out or not (I know Lou for instance was in CL so it's BMs fault you can't play both.) :ok

Re: Are you the best player on PL? PROVE IT!! Avongirl - I dont view it as much of an issue - for example Lou got 40 points tonight ..... multiply that by 5 - someone sitting out will only have 200 points ...... a long way from really being a significant score...... I cant imagine Mick was sat out all the time to finish 46th :loon If someone is relying on "sit out" points, then they are not anywhere near the top half of the table....... Will get a sample table together counting 7 scores.......

Re: Are you the best player on PL? PROVE IT!! I'm not sure it makes that big a difference, but is probably increasing the pressure on those that play fewer games, which I don't want to do..... And besides Morl is still top - it doesn't work :P

Re: Are you the best player on PL? PROVE IT!! Rankings up to date :ok Well done Gazblades :clap :clap :clap The feedback concensus so far seems to be wider variety, but fewer sites (little bit of a Paradox :unsure). Will see what I can do :ok The games that are pretty fixed in the calendar (in my view), Wednesdays - PL League at Sporting Odds Thursdays - Betholdem PokerNightLive game - new, but MASSIVE value that we cannot ignore Fridays - Spin Palace $2000 added - again too much value to ignore Saturdays I'm going to probably put the Betfred "Football Frenzy" games in (I'm guessing they will be regular) - good added value - only reason not to would be if they are rebuy which I think would exclude them (the MOTD ones were I think)....... Sundays - the Virgin Freeroll is too large value to ignore really - £1000 (almost $2000) between 300 entrants :ok) So Mondays and Tuesdays (and maybe Saturdays) are the free days where I need to seek some variety....... Agree with Staffy's comment about prizes/seats being good in games we wouldn'y usually play - these are usually satellites though which can be tricky - something like PartyPoker Monster on one of our usual sites would be fantastic :P If people see good games, am always open to suggestions. So I will try and stick to the sites with games "Fixed" in the calendar - Sporting Odds (Boss), BetHoldem (Prima), Spin Palace (Prima). Add to this Betfred (iPoker) who are giving us a lot of support at the moment. Don't want to forget some of our recent sponsors - Virgin (Boss) and poker.co.uk (Boss) PokerStars will probably need to be kept in the list for the variety of games they add (especially Horse) So we have a core of about 7 rooms/4 networks there - hopefully they can host most of our focus games and give us good variety.......

Re: Are you the best player on PL? PROVE IT!! Gaf?, I've been meaning to reply in this several times. But basically all I could say is the same as everyone else. You know how highly I think of you and what you do for PL. :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy However, the 'fixed' events shouldn't really be fixed imo.

Wednesdays - PL League at Sporting Odds Thursdays - Betholdem PokerNightLive game - new, but MASSIVE value that we cannot ignore Fridays - Spin Palace $2000 added - again too much value to ignore Saturdays I'm going to probably put the Betfred "Football Frenzy" games in (I'm guessing they will be regular) - good added value - only reason not to would be if they are rebuy which I think would exclude them (the MOTD ones were I think)....... Sundays - the Virgin Freeroll is too large value to ignore really - £1000 (almost $2000) between 300 entrants :ok)
While I'm not arguing that the above tournies are great value, is that the sole purpose? Just as an example (maybe the only one), on thursdays PokerStars definitely (;)) have the $1 PL Omaha MTT, but this won't be a focus game whilst the BetHoldem PNL game is around. Surely if we keep so many good value games permanently as focus games it will stop us looking for alternatives. But if we find alternatives such as the pokerstars one, then I'm quite sure that PLers could play both. The beauty of having more than one alternative each night means that should one stop running we're not left scrambling around at short notice for a replacement. The lucky dollar on the pokerroom network is another for a bit of variety (or change).

Re: Are you the best player on PL? PROVE IT!!

I was sitting out too :$ Only remembered about this at 22:30 Sorry i missed it :(
i was at your table george,came back after i finished champs lge......8 sit outs on table and 2 taking the blinds,i had 590 left but a good run of cards helped me get it up to 7000+,finally finished 30 something...........strange game

Re: Are you the best player on PL? PROVE IT!! Well done Kev, much deserved:notworthy:notworthy:notworthy. The battle between you Morlspin and GaF? is great entertainment in itself. Thanks for the congratulations GaF (and others) and for the comment that gave me the courage to call what I was 85% sure was a bluff but almost certainly would have folded to otherwise.:ok

Re: Are you the best player on PL? PROVE IT!! gaf? if you think you have made the wrong choice tonight heres a suggestion have a cut off time - say 6pm and the tourney with the most votes on the daily thread is the focus game only a suggestion keep up the good work :ok

have a cut off time - say 6pm and the tourney with the most votes on the daily thread is the focus game
Yeah - have contemplated that - but the problem with that is it will always be the same games, probably on one site and we will lack any variety. I think it will also lead to an overemphasis on freerolls which I don't want either ..... I want a mix and I don't think "voting" will achieve that..... I also want the opportunity to "reward" those sites which support us with tournaments and leagues...... We have something in the pipeline ;) which will be a leaderboard event over 4 weeks with a different game every night (buy in between $5 and $20) - a significant number of these are likely to be focus games - I want to retain the ability to select focus games when we have events like that.......

Yeah - have contemplated that - but the problem with that is it will always be the same games, probably on one site and we will lack any variety. I think it will also lead to an overemphasis on freerolls which I don't want either ..... I want a mix and I don't think "voting" will achieve that.....
I agree. Voting is a good democratic way of deciding things if you want one winner, but here we want several winners ... one a day ... and that means we can, and should, give "minorities" what they want occasionally. I think we all believe GaF is doing a good job of choosing the focus games, even if we don't personally like some of the choices. Some will be mistakes, and they should be ... if he never makes mistakes, that means he's not being imaginative enough!

I think we all believe GaF is doing a good job of choosing the focus games' date=' even if we don't personally like some of the choices.[/quote'] Yep, totally agree. :clap I voiced my opinion on today's game cos I think any rake over 10% is scandalous. :)

I voiced my opinion on today's game cos I think any rake over 10% is scandalous. :)
Yes, I understand, and I wasn't trying to get at you or anything. I'm sure GaF is grateful for any opinions on the choice of focus games.

Re: Are you the best player on PL? PROVE IT!! Full Tilt have $8 HORSE games which are for satellites to bigger Horse events in the SPECIAL tab on the site....i think this ones the 7.30pm game.....maybe another site for people to play on, however for those of us wishing to play HORSE, it could be worth a try horsemq3.gif