Keegan, Kevin-151101101101101
Taylor, G-151101--101
Woodward, C-81101-20151
McCarthy, Mick----251-
Crouch, P-501----
Staunton, Steve-501--501-
Alam, F-1001----
Ant & Dec-1001----
If this list doesn't make any England fan wonder at the wisdom of sacking Sven nothing will. No Englishman jumps out as an ideal candidate. Pearce is too inexperienced, McLaren, Bruce and Brian Robson are shite. O'Neill's on sabbatical and I get the feeling that Paul Jewell and big Sam are just too unfashionable, although I think O'Neill could be tempted. Interesting that the only high-profile manager manager not quoted is Souness:lol I can't see the FA been brave enough to appoint Scolari, even if he did want to come so IMO it's a straight shoot out between Hiddink and O'Neill.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Next England manager Guus Hiddink is the best manager for me. What he's achieved with PSV and South Korea is fantastic, a nice guy who gets the job done and comes with no baggage. Shame he's the manager of Australia but you never know he could be tempted to leave after the World Cup. I'm not too sure about the 1000/1 shots!

Re: Next England manager Hiddink, Pearce or Hitzfeld for me. I will be so angry if Allerdyce gets the job. Pearce would be my favourite choice, a bit of passion... thats what it takes to be a proper success IMO. I wonder when the new manager will be appointed?

Re: Next England manager What an uninspiring list, it's the invetible consequence of the major premiership clubs not hiring an english manager. It is now 14 years since an Englishman managed a league winning team in England. Curbs and Allerdyce are the obvious picks, but both lack glamour and would take England back to the Taylor days. McLaren is fav ?? I'd lay that all day and night. his reputation has never been lower

Re: Next England manager Isn't O'neil some kind of hardcore catholic? sombody once told me it was his fathers dying wish for him to manage Celtic, so managing the england national team, while his wife is ill might no go down too well

Re: Next England manager

Isn't O'neil some kind of hardcore catholic? sombody once told me it was his fathers dying wish for him to manage Celtic, so managing the england national team, while his wife is ill might no go down too well
:unsure He's managed Celtic. And what does his father's dying wish have to do with his ill wife:unsure

Re: Next England manager Why should his being a cathloic have anything to do with it ? don't they have catholics in England ? Very strange statement, I have no idea what faith if any sven has, doesn't matter. O'Neil would be a good choice for both parties, He's a good manager, who would do the job well. For him, it's a big job without a huge workload, that would leave him plenty of time for his home life. 4.5m a year for what is pretty much a part time job. I reckon he could do this is 20 hours a week, managing a EPL club like Man Utd is a 60+ hours a week job.

Isn't O'neil some kind of hardcore catholic? sombody once told me it was his fathers dying wish for him to manage Celtic, so managing the england national team, while his wife is ill might no go down too wel
What an ignorant and bigoted post. Do you think Catholics not allowed in england or something? Someone correct me if I am wrong, but I believe Alan Shearer is a Catholic, he has captained England and not a word of bad press went his way because of it. As FG says, what does it matter what faith the England manager is? england is a nation of many faits is it not?

Re: Next England manager I never know what the situation is with the bookies if two managers are appointed as a managerial partnership? Do the bookies pay out on both managers? I could see this as a feasible possibility. As mentioned earlier, nobody really jumps out at you in the list of candidates, so for this reason perhaps a younger more inexperienced manager in a combination with a managerial mentor such as Bobby Robson, someone who could school any up and coming manager into the role. Alternatively, It was suggested on sky sports that a managerial team should be put in place in the form of one coach/tactician and a spokesperson/media relations person to deal with the onslaught of tabloid interviews and antics. In light of Svens recent comments, I actually thought this was a good idea. Which leads me back to my original question, if say Alan Shearer and Bobby Robson took over as England managerial team, would they pay out on both?

Alternatively, It was suggested on sky sports that a managerial team should be put in place in the form of one coach/tactician and a spokesperson/media relations person to deal with the onslaught of tabloid interviews and antics. In light of Svens recent comments, I actually thought this was a good idea.
I think this would be a disaster, in fact the whole idea of up and coming managers being part of the England set-up seems to be a disaster. The 3 names that spring to mind as part of this set-up Robson(Bryan), McClaren and Taylor have done absolutely nothing at domestic level (although I still rate Taylor highly) and despite being a big part of the England set-up at various points in the past would bring absolutely nothing to the top job. A managerial team would be even worse. You can't pick a team by comittee, there's too many agendas to take care of and too many compromises to be made. You could argue that you'd just give overall responsibility for picking the team to one man, but then that's exactly the set-up we have now. With regards to having a media person on the management team you only have to look at any of last years Lions comments on Alistair Campbell to see that this is an idea doomed to failure, spin-doctors and sportsmen don't mix.

Re: Next England manager Some valid points there Paul. Whether it is deemed a good idea or not, the FA will try to avoid another media circus with the next england manager, so this combination is certainly not beyond the realms of possibility. Maybe they should get Tony Blair in when he steps down as prime minister?! LOL. I do think the FA are under some pressure to appoint an English manager,which would rule out the likes of Hiddink and Hitzfeld (as good as their credentials are). Which leads us to look at the English candidates. Robson(Bryan), McClaren and Taylor haven't done much at the domestic level, but looking at other candidates, neither has Pearce, Allardyce or Jewell (in terms of silverware), please correct me if im wrong. With the exception of Allardyce perhaps, experience at the highest domestic level is lacking. Given the chance, Bobby Robson could bridge the gap in experience until the end of the next Euro's and then he should be more than ready to retire. I think this too is a feasible option which may not be popular but logical to the FA in the long term. Although, if its about money, the FA will not take kindly to paying two top salaries. Would the bookies pay out on two manager's in this instance? P.S. Dont they decide the England team by comitee in Cricket? Please excuse my ignorance its a sport I know nothing about.

What an ignorant and bigoted post. Do you think Catholics not allowed in england or something? Someone correct me if I am wrong, but I believe Alan Shearer is a Catholic, he has captained England and not a word of bad press went his way because of it. As FG says, what does it matter what faith the England manager is? england is a nation of many faits is it not?
I think my post may have been misunderstood. I'm not saying catholics shouldn't manage the england team, I don't care about his religion. But, sombody told me (and granted, this might be bollocks) that his father wanted him to manage Celtic BECAUSE of his catholic faith. So my point was that if he would make the decision to manage Celtic based on his faith, then that might seem like an equally good reason to turn down the England job. His wife being ill was an unrelated point, but that's the reason he's not employed in football at the moment. I'd be very suprised if the above were true, but that's what I was told hence the question. It was not meant as a sweeping generalisation about any race or religion.

Which leads me back to my original question, if say Alan Shearer and Bobby Robson took over as England managerial team, would they pay out on both?
Jesus! I hope we don't find out For me Hiddink is the obvious choice, and he's already said he's keen. But you never know with the FA, they're a funny bunch. I'd like to think that Pearce is a pretty safe lay. If they were apointing a manager tomorrow they I'd be laying it big, but by the end of the season he might have built up a bit more of a reputation. Mclaren shouldn't even be in the running for me, I think it would be a brave man at the FA to give him the job as they'd get hammered in the press, so he might be a better lay. These markets usually have quite a few swings especially over such a long time frame, so money can be made with some well placed back and lays

Re: Next England manager I think you can take O'Neil out of that trio Paul. His main concern is his private life. Rumour round here is the FA have had Hiddink in mind since all this sven-gate thing started. But it would raise concerns over his commitment to his clubs. I personally wouldnt want a manager who jumps ship at the first chance of something better. But his CV is rather impressive. I think it would have been better if Sven went NOW and we got(somehow) Hiddink for the world cup then brought Big Sam after in to give him time to learn what is needed to take us upwards. Youve got to ask whether big Sam will 'improve' the England squad in all areas and can he manage pri-maddona superstar footballers? I know he can get the best out of players at the end of there careers but we need someone who's used to dealing with BIG name players.

What an uninspiring list' date=' it's the invetible consequence of the major premiership clubs not hiring an english manager.[/quote'] theres a damn good reason for this - name one English manager that is in the same quality category as Mourinho, Wenger, Ferguson and Benitez in the Premiership? If its quality that the people want then the new manager will be not English born. If its passion, then there will be an English caoch. How tied into the Irish job is Bobby Robson? Surely if people are looking at Shearer (*snigger*) or Pearce then someone with the experience of Robson in the back seat would be ideal. From all the English coaches, 10 possibilities stand out: 1) Steve Mclaren - current involvement with England team, thus has experience on the international stage. Currently has a good team at Middlesbro and has spent a reasonable amount of money in order for them to be in serious danger of playing Southend and Colchester in the league next year. Does not inspire confidence. 2) Alan Curbishley - granted he has done well with Charlton in the top division for some time now on a limite budget but he lacks experience with big name players and frequently suffers really bad runs of form which he seems unable to break until the players improve themselves. 3) Peter Taylor - international experience with the u-21's but this is way off the standard required and has spent the last few years in the leagues lower divisions. 4) Big Sam - Has created a team regularly challenging for Europe built on buying a mix of also rans and big name players looking for that lucrative last contract and has been successful on a limited budget. Appears to be the clear favourite (given that the FA would think themselves quite foolish re-hiring someone like Bobby Robson as the main man after sacking him in the past). 5) Stuart Pearce - has more passion than most of the England squad put together, but passion does not win you tournements alone. Tactically, he is still learning and will be for some time - even Carlton Palmer was able to identify that Man City struggle badly against a 5 man midfield. This kind of difficulty will be ripped apart by lesser opposition at international level. 6) Paul Jewell - he's done very well in his short period of management, but this has to be balanced in a similar fashion to Pearce. Only time will tell if he has that tactical capability to ensure success in the long term, and do you really want that to be tested with the national team? Both he and Pearce may be up amongst the favourites when the next manager after this is appointed but now is not the right time - let him continue to learn his trade. 7) Steve Bruce - if he gets the job then, I will :rollin In a similar vein to McLaren, has demonstrated that he is simply average. 8) Roy Hodgson - has international experience with two countries I believe (? the Swiss and Finland) but has never really been involved at a level high enough to warrant a job of this stature - a possibilty for a right hand man to someone with less experience though in a similar role as forementioned with Bobby Robson. 9) Sir Bobby himself - IMO the best English man for the job. Vast experience both at the highest club level and with England previously. For me, the only real challenge for Allardyce (when simply looking at ability to do the job). Does not appear to have any chance for the main role, but would be a better but more expensive back seat driver than Roy Hodgson. 10) Bryan Robson - please, please, please make him boss - then I can say Wales have got a manager as inept as you! If you want English, Robson or Allardyce must be the only genuine candidates. Personally, however, I believe the best coach would be from O'Neill, Hiddink, Capello, Ferguson, Wenger, Hitzfeld, Scolari. I'm not sure how many of these would even be interested in the job though. Managing England would be an attractive job to many but the media will surely be a massive negative point against it and this may turn big names away who can get equally as good or better jobs (even if paid less) elsewhere. I've purposely not included Mourinho as ££££'s means he will stay at Chelsea until they decide rather than him.

Re: Next England manager :clap :clap :clap :clap There are some excellent points in this thread, and here I come to spoil that. aliando - I agree with almost everything you have said. I would suggest that England fans have got over the 'indignity' of a foreign manager, as long as the choice is the right one. I personally would be quite happy to have Ottmar Hitzfeld or Gus Hiddink in charge, as I believe they could do with this team what SGE has failed to. Out of the English managers I would like to Bobby Robson, but I feel that is very unlikely. Steve McLaren has shown me nothing to inspire confidence, and although Sam Allardyce is doing extremely well I think he is still learning. in 2 years time we would have a better idea of whether he can do something at the top level (by that I mean european rather than domestic). I refuse to discuss Stuart Pearce until after the 2010 world cup. Martin O'Neill for me is the must have choice. Whether this happens or not, time will tell.

Personally, however, I believe the best coach would be from O'Neill, Hiddink, Capello, Ferguson, Wenger, Hitzfeld, Scolari.
he cant even speak english,at best its broken italian into english It would take him 12 months to learn english. NR in MHO

Re: Next England manager I think Hiddink name is more less carved in stone over this. I didnt realise that hes only on a temp-contract for Os and he sees the england job as the best job in International football. which kind of puts my theroy from my earlier post in the bin. hiddink for me.

aliando - I agree with almost everything you have said.
wow - thats the nicest thing anyone has ever said about me :ok
he cant even speak english,at best its broken italian into english It would take him 12 months to learn english. NR in MHO
I tagged scolari onto the end as, although not first choice, he has thrown his hat into the ring and, for me is equal or better to the expected English candidates. He also has experience with Portugal which adds to his CV, something many of the other candidates would struggle to match.

Re: Next England manager For those who think the next manager will be English, gamebookers offer 2/1 which is the best i've seen, Hiddink would be the best choice in my opinion, does anyone know the foreign candidates who can speak English? Out of the English i would choose Curbishley but i think McLaren is the favourite because he's a yes man and the FA like yes men. Allardyce i can't see as he has too much to say and the FA would be afraid that England would play like Bolton. O'Neill has a good record but his teams play unattractive football, i would not put him in charge. http://www.gamebookers.com/cgi-bin/intro.cgi?rid=311737

Re: Next England manager I'd go with either Hiddink or Scolari as I think they are clearly the two best managers on the list. However part of me does still want an Englishman in charge. But none of them really grab you. Like people have already said, I have a lot of respect for what Big Sam has done at Bolton, but would he be able to do the same with big players? If only he'd took the Newcastle job last season, we might have had a bit more insight into this. If it did have to be english, I've always been impressed with Trevor Brooking. One thing that would count in Trevors favour, is that he has played at the highest level, although his lack of experience would obviously count against him. But both times when he took over West Ham for a couple of months, he got a lot more out of the players than the previous managers did. I was stunned when I saw him on the sidelines shouting like mad. A far cry from his mellow state on MOTD. But he looked to be full of passion, and got some great results. I'd be interested to hear what the hammers fans on here thought of Trev while he was in charge.

But both times when he took over West Ham for a couple of months' date=' he got a lot more out of the players than the previous managers did. [/quote'] i think he's got some unused ability but how much would've been down to the 'new manager' effect? I wouldn't see him as a succsessor, but another possible for the back seat driver position maybe?

Re: Next England manager How about a Glenn Hoddle comeback? :eek Not gonna happen I know cos of what happened when he left, but we played some quality stuff under him, and with someone like Pearce under his wing, England could go places. On a serious note, Hiddink is the man for the job - in the top 2-3 managers in the world, and has been for many years. If we get Hiddink, Euro 2008 is a cert for England. :loon

I think you can take O'Neil out of that trio Paul. His main concern is his private life. Rumour round here is the FA have had Hiddink in mind since all this sven-gate thing started. But it would raise concerns over his commitment to his clubs. I personally wouldnt want a manager who jumps ship at the first chance of something better. But his CV is rather impressive. I think it would have been better if Sven went NOW and we got(somehow) Hiddink for the world cup then brought Big Sam after in to give him time to learn what is needed to take us upwards. Youve got to ask whether big Sam will 'improve' the England squad in all areas and can he manage pri-maddona superstar footballers? I know he can get the best out of players at the end of there careers but we need someone who's used to dealing with BIG name players.
The daily mail reckon that the job is O'Neils of he wants it, but they have no quotes to back this up. Hiddink also nailing his colours to the mast by saying the job would be a perfect way out of the agressive atmoshere in Holland. Apparently he's has death threats and live bullets sent to his parents house (Sven doesn't know he's born!). Think you're being a bit harsh on Big Sam there Carl, he's handled big names like Okocha, Hierro and Campo. He also seems to get the best out of unsavory twats like Diouf. My only worry with Sam is his lack of experiance in continental football, I think that will bother the FA too. If it's not Hiddink, then somebody wants sacking at the FA. Lets hope they do the right thing :hope