** April Poker League Result : 1st Like2Fish, 2nd McG, 3rd andybell666 **

Cazoo World Championship

Fader

Incidentally am watching Jones Allen now and the standard is not great. A lot of missed pots from both. Scrappy frames and very few big breaks aside from Jones with 94 early doors, My centuries bet not looking too likely unless both get their fingers out sharpish. Ye gods, another missed sitter from Jones 😦 this is really brutal standard at the moment, neither of them deserve to go any further on this showing. 

McGill was shocking for the first half of the session but got it back to 4-4. Both matches ended 4-4 as it goes. I watched a bit of Brecel vs Ronnie and Brecel had his chances, too. Then he absolutely bottled it. It's a wide open tournament really and if nobody excels then it's Ronnies to lose, I guess.

1 hour ago, Fader said:

McGill has started like utter crap again today. His level in this match has been amateur at best

Not so fast there, both Jones and Allen are challenging hard as well for the title of "most inept performance in a world snooker championship quarter final in history" 😆🤦‍♂️

1 hour ago, amity said:

Not so fast there, both Jones and Allen are challenging hard as well for the title of "most inept performance in a world snooker championship quarter final in history" 😆🤦‍♂️

really crap isn't it :D

Ronnie, Higgins or Selby will destroy McGill on this showing. I think winner of Higgins/Selby is the eventual winner.

McGill went 8-6 up and then just gave 2 of the most ridiculous frames away. They're playing at 4-4/5-5/6-6 like it's 12-12.

Genuinely, I have never seen a professional snooker match, particularly in the latter stages of such a huge tournament, with such a shockingly poor standard from both players. I don't know if nerves can explain it. Jones particularly made some absolutely inexplicable mistakes, in almost every frame. Allen only got through as his level of play was not quite as appalling as Jones. Selby/Higgins will go to town on him in the semis, if this match is anything to go by.

Edited by amity

I think with Si then it's fair. He's 20 and it's a debut for him. McGill can have no excuses.

Same in the other game I suppose. Jak Jones you can understand but despite Allen never getting very far here, he has won major tournaments and should be able to hold his nerve better than that. It's rubbish.

I think only Higgins or Selby beat Ronnie purely because they wont bottle the big shots as much. Ronnie was utter dross against Brecel yesterday evening and still came out 4-4 on the session :D

1 minute ago, Foo_Fighter said:

Ronnie O'Sullivan in trouble (10-10)

If he is playing like yesterday then no suprise. I've not watch the session today yet but it looked like most of the frames were won in one from Brecel. He has every chance if he holds his nerve.

14 minutes ago, Fader said:

Now 12-10 Brecel. 1 more frame needed. Anybody watching it? I'm watching Selby/Higgins. Is Ronnie just smashing it around or is Brecel on 🔥

Ronnie was atrocious. 79 percent pot success in the session, misaligning shots, played like a rank amateur. To go from 10-6 to 10-13 is ridiculous. He gave up in places and put Brecel under no pressure - if he had, it might have been a different story. Hendry in the commentary box would have beaten O'Sullivan playing like that.

It'll be worth opposing Brecel in the next round now. That result will guarantee he's overvalued, especially as he was nowhere near as good as was suggested after the match - that's just what always seems to happen when Ronnie loses. He played well there's no doubt, but to an extent he was allowed to. I don't see that happening next round.

Wish I'd had the cajones to lay Ronnie when he was as low as 1.03 on Betfair! Luca played great today, nearly no-miss snooker but Ronnie was total dross. A new face in the final probably taking on Selby who will likely win his 5th world title next Monday.

Ridiculous scheduling in the other match having to play back-to-back sessions! I think they were playing for half an hour on the final red ball in one frame, it's very slow going so they will only manage to complete 14 frames before going for a short break.

Edited by charliepie
Selby/Higgins match update

2 hours ago, Torque said:

Ronnie was atrocious. 79 percent pot success in the session, misaligning shots, played like a rank amateur. To go from 10-6 to 10-13 is ridiculous. He gave up in places and put Brecel under no pressure - if he had, it might have been a different story. Hendry in the commentary box would have beaten O'Sullivan playing like that.

For me that's when he should be fined

2 hours ago, Torque said:

It'll be worth opposing Brecel in the next round now. That result will guarantee he's overvalued, especially as he was nowhere near as good as was suggested after the match - that's just what always seems to happen when Ronnie loses. He played well there's no doubt, but to an extent he was allowed to. I don't see that happening next round.

Brecel hasn't got the temperament to win an event like this so yes, indeed. Great for McGill if he makes it through. 

51 minutes ago, Fader said:

Brecel hasn't got the temperament to win an event like this so yes, indeed. Great for McGill if he makes it through. 

Completely agree. He beat O'Sullivan playing attacking snooker, which got increasingly attacking the more he realised that O'Sullivan wasn't at the races and wasn't punishing his misses. It's easy to play high-tariff snooker when you're confident that your opponent's having a shocker - less so when your opponent plays steady, percentage snooker. Like I said, Ronnie put Brecel under no pressure at all and that was the key to him winning. All the talk after the match from the pundits and also Ronnie - not surprisingly - would have given the impression that Brecel played lights out. He didn't. He played well but I don't call 89% pot success across the match lights out snooker and a repeat of that in the next round and he's going back to Belgium but this time not coming back.

3 hours ago, Torque said:

Completely agree. He beat O'Sullivan playing attacking snooker, which got increasingly attacking the more he realised that O'Sullivan wasn't at the races and wasn't punishing his misses. It's easy to play high-tariff snooker when you're confident that your opponent's having a shocker - less so when your opponent plays steady, percentage snooker. Like I said, Ronnie put Brecel under no pressure at all and that was the key to him winning. All the talk after the match from the pundits and also Ronnie - not surprisingly - would have given the impression that Brecel played lights out. He didn't. He played well but I don't call 89% pot success across the match lights out snooker and a repeat of that in the next round and he's going back to Belgium but this time not coming back.

He must be watching this semi-final rubbing his hands together though. McGill has been utter toilet.

2 minutes ago, Fader said:

He must be watching this semi-final rubbing his hands together though. McGill has been utter toilet.

I see what you mean but weirdly that's exactly the sort of play that's likely to trip Brecel up. O'Sullivan is either good or bad. McGill on the other hand, has more variation. He can be good or bad but he'll also battle and frames will become scrappy at times and that'll mean Brecel can't get into any rhythm. McGill also won't be giving Brecel any encouragement by giving up any frames where only a snooker or two is required - like O'Sullivan did. Ronnie played right into Brecel's hands today. McGill - if it is McGill - won't do that.

8 minutes ago, Torque said:

I see what you mean but weirdly that's exactly the sort of play that's likely to trip Brecel up. O'Sullivan is either good or bad. McGill on the other hand, has more variation. He can be good or bad but he'll also battle and frames will become scrappy at times and that'll mean Brecel can't get into any rhythm. McGill also won't be giving Brecel any encouragement by giving up any frames where only a snooker or two is required - like O'Sullivan did. Ronnie played right into Brecel's hands today. McGill - if it is McGill - won't do that.

Now that McGill has lost my bet he can go and win 13-12 now. 

3 minutes ago, Fader said:

Now that McGill has lost my bet he can go and win 13-12 now. 

If I'm Brecel I'm crossing my fingers McGill doesn't win. He'll know that playing McGill will be a real test because McGill will have to be scraped off the table, plus he's had experience of the latter stages here. Si's style will suit Brecel better and I'm sure Brecel knows that.

1 minute ago, Torque said:

If I'm Brecel I'm crossing my fingers McGill doesn't win. He'll know that playing McGill will be a real test because McGill will have to be scraped off the table, plus he's had experience of the latter stages here. Si's style will suit Brecel better and I'm sure Brecel knows that.

Yeah si wouldn't beat Brecel for me but McGill could. Deciding frame.

1 minute ago, Fader said:

Saying that, they've played 6 and Brecel leads 6-0. Although that means nothing at The Crucible 

Exactly. But it'll probably make the odds on McGill even juicier. If McGill wins this decider, I'll be on him to beat Brecel and I expect it'll be a very nice price.

Real crap snooker. That red he missed after the snooker was embarrassing. Would love to know how many easy shots he missed. I genuinely think it's one of the worst performances I've ever seen in pro snooker. 

McGill just too inconsistent, the occasional excellent big break interspersed with several very poor frames where he just couldn't get it together. 

In the semis, am surprised to see Selby at 4/7 or so with most bookies, I think he beats Allen convincingly. The Northern Irish man has been well below his best so far, playing like a rank amateur at times, and yet somehow he's made it to the semis, hard to believe. Selby, if he turns up at all, should win this with a few frames to spare. 

Well, that was tense! Looking forward to the Si/Luca match as that should be attacking and open. Whoever's sitting on Si at 1000 outright would be advised to lay some of it off as I expect he won't have much left to give after all the frames he's played or maybe he's still young enough for that not to matter. All of China will be rooting for him which brings a lot of pressure too.